PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain to me why a 22 year old rookie has $150k worth of jewelry?...

58Forever
07-09-2001, 12:03 PM
What'd he do, blow his entire signing bonus?...damn, his jewelry cost more than my house, car, and everything else I own put together...probably an insurance scam....:D

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) -- Three armed robbers stole $150,000 worth of jewelry from Will Allen, the New York Giants' first-round draft pick, including an earring they ripped from his ear, police said.

Allen was not otherwise injured in the robbery, which took place at 4:40 a.m. Sunday when the former Syracuse standout was returning to his apartment, Sgt. David Sackett said Monday.

Investigators have no suspects, he said.

Allen spent the night out with friends and was returning home when three men wearing stocking masks confronted him in a hallway of his apartment. Two of the men had handguns, Sackett said.

One of the men called Allen by name, he added. Allen tried to wrestle the gun away from one of the robbers but was attacked by the other two men. One of the men sprayed Allen with gasoline from a spray bottle and threatened to light him on fire if he did not cooperate, Sackett said.

Police reports said the thieves took a 51-carat platinum and diamond bracelet valued at $120,000, a 13-carat platinum and diamond bracelet worth $11,000, a white gold Rolex watch worth $9,000, two gold 2.5-carat diamond earrings worth $10,000 and the keys to Allen's apartment and luxury car. Sackett said all the jewelry was insured.

Allen, a 22-year-old defensive back, is a Syracuse native. He was drafted 22nd overall in April and could start for the Giants this season.

Clint in Wichita
07-09-2001, 12:04 PM
Because he's probably been making an executive-level salary for 2 or 3 years.

58Forever
07-09-2001, 12:09 PM
Clint, do you think the Syracuse alumni gave him a few perks...

"Hey will, I've got this old bracelet I don't want anymore, I'll give it to you for being such a great player."

Phobia
07-09-2001, 12:12 PM
Personally?

If you are wearing that much gold & rock on your person, you are BEGGING to be rolled - especially if you are out at 4:00 AM. That's just STUPID.

Clint in Wichita
07-09-2001, 12:18 PM
I think that any school that wants to become elite in a sport pays its players.

I seriously doubt that K-State's miraculous turnaround was due solely to the coaching and recruiting genius of Bill Snyder.

58Forever
07-09-2001, 12:19 PM
No doubt Phob...I'd be afraid to wear fake jewelry because I know some fool would try to rob me...day or night...it was clearly a set up in this case but still stupid...

BIG_DADDY
07-09-2001, 01:05 PM
Well, it is very important to be cool and look the part in your rookie season. :rolleyes: It WAS all insured.

BIG DADDY

Is thinking he might have rolled himself for a little extra spending money.

Iowanian
07-09-2001, 01:17 PM
With that much "blingin' " he deserved to get robbed....I'm waiting for someone to start robbing rap stars and knocking out their diamond/gold plated teeth.

The friggin queen of England doesn't need that much jewelry.

Lightning Rod
07-09-2001, 01:17 PM
Is " he's stupid" to short of a response?

aturnis
07-09-2001, 02:16 PM
He lost all his Bling Bling, looks like he's gonna hafta go see Jacob to frost his wrist up again.

Aturnis
-Wishes he had bling bling................;) :D :p

Stryker
07-09-2001, 05:21 PM
That in my book is just as good as "burning" the money :mad:

I do not understand the NEED for such BS. It also reminds me of the movie "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" where June Bug died from OG (overdose of Gold) :p

Wish I had that $150k.

Bob Dole
07-09-2001, 05:25 PM
Bob Dole is with Rod on this one.

Bob Dole's immediate thought was, "Because he's an idiot."

Chiefs Pantalones
07-09-2001, 06:18 PM
Looks like the number 1 stunna' got stunned:D

CG

money getted the carats like WHOA!!!!:p

Alphaman
07-09-2001, 06:31 PM
First of all, no one "deserves" to be robbed of his own property!!! All of you drive automobiles. Some of them may be very nice. Would you deserve it if you got carjacked.

That being said, he was stupid to have on that kind of jewelry. But let's remember that he is a kid right out of college coming into A LOT of MONEY!!! He hasn't learned the lesson of how to handle money yet. How many of you were smart enough to handle being an instant millionaire at 21?

Finally, why are you all dragging Syracuse's name through the mud on this? For the record I'm an MU grad (I also have an MBA from KU), so I have no tie to Syracuse. There has been nothing shown that they paid their players. The TRUTH of the matter is that agents always front top draft picks money for clothes, jewelry, cars, houses, etc... The agent knows that once the players signs and gets the signing bonus, he'll be getting his money back.

Rain Man
07-09-2001, 10:03 PM
What's that old anecdote about the rookie negotiating ploy..."You want to pay me HOW much? That's an insult - I'm not going to take a pay cut to turn pro."

California Injun
07-09-2001, 11:00 PM
Alphaman is right on this one. Who are we to cast stones when we've all done the same thing at 21?

If I would have just invested that cool million my parents gave me on my 21st birthday instead of those killer 200 keggers I was so famous for then I wouldn't be here on this board tonight.

It sure was fun though... (what little I remember):p

morphius
07-09-2001, 11:55 PM
My first that was that it was just to bad this guy didn't have Joe watching his back.

Morphius
Still can't get the picture of Joe chasing after the car (golf club) thieves with a gun out of my head. :D

Jim Hunter
07-10-2001, 04:46 AM
Gee....What a coinsidence.....I just happen to have a 52- carat platinum & diamond bracelet that I could let someone have for a very, very, good price.....

Rausch
07-10-2001, 04:59 AM
Anyone willing to spend that type of cash on a ROCK is as stupid as the stone on their jewelry....

Yes, they DO deserve ta' get robbed...

Stupid is as stupid does, and this cat was as dumb as they come.....I don't feel any sympathy....

I could find a helluva' lot more to do with that money than make my person shine......

58Forever
07-10-2001, 07:31 AM
Morph, and it was only my golf clubs...imagine what I would have done had it been my $110K bracelet....

Talking about casting stones:

Jesus is walking down the street sermonizing:

"let he who is without sin cast the first stone." he says.

Just then, out of the crowd comes a big rock and smacks Jesus square in the head.

Stunned, Jesus looks around a minute and says..."MOM!"

kcred
07-10-2001, 08:35 AM
Before everyone condemns Syracuse, ESPN did an article on Fred Taylor last year, before he had signed his contract. He had a house, two or three cars, stereos, etc., etc. Seems a bank, had fronted for everything, knowing his signing bonus, would cover it, and then some. I have to agree, not a smart thing to do, wearing that kind of stuff in public, but then again, what the hell did he buy it, if not to wear it. He showed some sense in having it insured. Hell, with his signing bonus, it would probably be less meaningful to him, than my big screen is to me.

svuba
07-10-2001, 09:21 AM
Allen is lucky he didn't get shot, and he doesn't even realize it.

He is just lucky that the guys who stole his jewelry were not desperate street thug types, they were probably more like entrepenuers.

There are a lot of people in this country that would have shot & killed Allen just because he attempted to get the gun away from them. There are places in Oakland that my crews will not work without police protection. Just two weeks ago one of my ispectors got shot. It probably had somthing to do with the moderately fancy rims on his car, and a couple of small gold chains he wears around his neck.

Somtimes I see those wanna-be thugs with their Expeditions with 20" rims, and wonder if they would get rid of those rims if someone put a 9 milimeter to their head. Personally I don't flaunt anything because there are people in the city who don't give a $hit about human life. and flaunting your money is not too smart!

PunkinDrublic
07-10-2001, 09:47 AM
Why does everyone get so hung up about what an athlete does
with his money? If this guy wanted to spend all this money on jewlery that's his business. Is it a stupid thing to do? yes, but come on this guy is an athlete not a brain surgeon. Nobody deserves to get robbed and have there life put in danger. I have to say though, in the cowboys winning years I used to hate the sight of Micheal Irvin before games wearing a mink coat. Just once I would have liked to have a seen one of those PETA wackos spray him with fake blood.

seclark
07-10-2001, 10:07 AM
i kicked out $8 for my diamond earing at k-mart...and i got 2of em...
sec

Phobia
07-10-2001, 10:14 AM
Uh - no you didn't sec

you got none - there ain't a microscopic diamond that is going to sell for $8 - you got CZ or glass.... :D

BIG_DADDY
07-10-2001, 10:20 AM
HArd to tell when they are that small.

seclark
07-10-2001, 10:27 AM
you mean to tell me my wife spent all that money for a fake?

see if i buy her another dirt devil for our aniversary...
sec

Phobia
07-10-2001, 10:37 AM
LOL - screw the dirt devil - you should buy her a new Calloway driver as a gift - and if golf isn't "her" game, a bowling ball always works.

seclark
07-10-2001, 10:50 AM
kphobia...she's got me, buddy...anything else is just icing on the cake.
sec

Phobia
07-10-2001, 11:11 AM
what a wonderful attitude - I'm sure she shares it..... :D

seclark
07-10-2001, 12:05 PM
almost 21years...i treat her like a princess. she runs 7miles every night, and i'm right behind her in the truck, or on the 4wheeler.
sec

Phobia
07-10-2001, 12:17 PM
cool, man

I intend to make my 2nd & last marriage very good like that. There are so many people on this board with nice marriages, it keeps hope alive (at least for me) that I can actually achieve that level of happiness as well. My first marriage was such HELL, I wasn't sure it could be done....

Ethelyn
07-10-2001, 01:13 PM
I can't explain why, but these guys purchase all of that jewelry and then wear it all at once. Look at "Shaq". He's got platinum coming out of the Gulf of Mexico and younger boys "men" look at that and that's what they want.

Some guys go to extremes with the stuff and I'm not taking up for them . . . but suddenly coming into a large sum of money, hanging out with your posse and finally being able to get what you want when you want it is like the american dream.

My son owns some platinum, (he told me he was because I thought it was white gold), but not to an extreme, and never would he dream of wearing $125,000.00 worh of jewelry at one time. And again, it's how you were brought up. If you don't have morals, and no one taught you how to cherish things . . . then you don't know until you're out in the " big world".

58Forever
07-10-2001, 01:27 PM
That's part of the problem Ethlyn...young boys/men look up to the athlete or rapper or actor and all they see are the material things and they want them too...problem is that most of us don't make 7 figure incomes and the only way we get $100K bracelets is too steal them...

I know we're not going to change the way people display their wealth, but it'd be nice if that wasn't the only thing that young kids see...not too many of us out there can even dream of being a pro athlete...sadly, for most of the young kids, I'm not sure if they want to be pro athletes for the love of the game or the money....:(

Chiefs Pantalones
07-10-2001, 03:25 PM
svuba,

Like you said, those guys were probably entrepenuers, and he was not going to get shot or anything...

but if Allen was in the stands of a Raider game, then he would have got shot and killed...:D

CG

er stabbed and killed:p

KCWolfman
07-10-2001, 06:47 PM
Alphaman - If his agent 'fronted' him 150K for important necessities like jewelry, then he is either a loanshark or a jackass.

Agents loan SOME money to their representatives, but not 150K and definitely not for jewelry.

PACHIEFSFAN
07-10-2001, 07:47 PM
He struggles with one gunman, while two others (one armed) "ATTACK" him????? The report said he was not injuried!!! I have worked in prisons for over 25 years and when someone is "ATTACKED", there are injuries!! Also, why would the robbers follow him into him apartment building. They are out of their territory. They would have caught him on the street or getting out of his car making for a quick, and at that early hour, quiet getaway. My criminal investigations background would say this is SUSPICIOUS!!:D

:) I woke up this morning and I was alive. I know it was going to be a good day!!!!:cool:

DJay23
07-10-2001, 09:41 PM
Well hell doesn't everyone go out and blow a fortune on fine "bling-bling" as soon as they get their first job out of college? I mean when I graduate I know the first place I'm goin is Kay Jewelers and get me a nice tennis bracelet and maybe a fancy diamond ring too. screw saving for the future when i can have the finest white gold and diamond trinkets money has to buy.

YEEEEEEEE HAAAWWWWWWW

DJay23
07-10-2001, 09:42 PM
Oh yeah, PACHIEFSFAN smells like Poo!

Alphaman
07-10-2001, 10:33 PM
KCWolfman,

I'm certain you follow the sports scene like most fans do. Surely you've read about agents getting dumped at the drop of a hat for another agent. Front money for an agent is part of doing business to attract top talent.

If agent A is selling what he can do for a potential #1 pick at a price of 7% and agent B promotes the same thing for the same price, but is willing to front $200K until the signing bonus is signed, which agent is the player going to pick. Let's say the player gets a $5M signing bonus. That $200K investment is well worth the $350K the agent gets, plus his $200K back. And how long did he invest it? 8 months at the most. 175% return in 8 months is HUGE. Not to mention the other players he gets because his client tells his friends that his agent treats him right.

A jack---? Sounds like a good business man to me.

Remember, a guy gets drafted in April, but may not sign his contract until late July or into August. How many #1 picks are signed now? How many want to get a taste of the money that will definitely come in the next few months? Someone below mentioned that some banks frequently give loans to #1 picks because they know that they will soon sign a #1 contract. Are they jack---? I don't think so. They want the business (i.e. interest on that and future loans) as well as the prestige of having the professional athlete as a customer.

KCWolfman
07-11-2001, 12:25 AM
Alpha - No , I have never heard of a rookie changing agents.