PDA

View Full Version : Comcast launching Tivo soon

dtebbe
11-30-2007, 07:56 AM
From DSL Reports:

While TiVO is still only available to a limited number of Comcast subscribers in the New England area (mostly employees), the company has clarified the pricing for the service and insisted marketing for it will be ramping up shortly. TiVO says Comcast will charge users an extra $2.95 per month for the popular service. Multichannel News notes that this fee is in addition to the fee Comcast charges for normal DVR service:

This will be a big advantage for Comcast over DirecTv IMHO. I don't think it will be long before DirecTv comes out with a MPEG4 Tivo DVR (fingers crossed).

DT

bishop_74
11-30-2007, 08:13 AM
What is the advantage of Tivo over DVR?

kepp
11-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Well, I can speak as one who has both a Tivo unit and a DirecTV DVR from DTV. The DirecTV DVR (at least my model) sucks when compared to the Tivo. We have had the Tivo for years with ZERO problems. We've had the DTV DVR for about four months and we barely can depend on it to record the proper shows at the right time. Then, even when it says it DID record them, they sometimes freeze in the middle of viewing.

I'm seriously considering trying to buy an old Tivo DirecTV unit on Ebay.

dtebbe
11-30-2007, 09:06 AM

Tivo is generally considered to be much better DVR software. More intuitive, and much better at handling "season passes". They pretty much pioneered the DVR.

I've only used Tivo, so I can't say too much, but let's just say that my wife (who can't hardly operate a microwave) figured out Tivo in about 2 hours and now will be ready to fight if you mention changing away from it to a generic DVR.

DT