PDA

View Full Version : F**k it -- WHO TO DRAFT?

CupidStunt
11-30-2007, 03:48 PM
No HCs, GMs, OCs available. Sorry.

I peg KC anywhere from #6 (yes, there are at least a few worse teams) to #9.

For the sake of argument, assume unavailable players are: Darren McFadden, RB; Brian Brohm, QB; Jake Long, OT; Glenn Dorsey, DT; and Chris Long, DE.

Potential picks:

Andre' Woodson, QB
Matt Ryan, QB
DeSean Jackson, WR/PR/KR
Jeff Otah, OT
Michael Oher, OT
Ryan Clady, OT
Sedrick Ellis, DT
Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB
James Laurinaitis, LB
Malcolm Jenkins, CB
Kenny Phillips, S

Bowser
11-30-2007, 03:55 PM
If we are in the top 10, we have GOT to get help on our O-Line. I know Mecca and his ilk will flame me for saying draft a need, but c'mon - this line is horrendous. Nothing else works on offense if your line sucks.

Sanka
11-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Why the F? would we draft a QB?

RustShack
11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
We wont draft a QB.

Bowser

Because Huard isn't the answer, and Croyle can't make it three games without getting injured?

Unless you think Tyler Thigpen is the answer.

Der Flöprer

Andre Woodson is going to be a star in the NFL.

DeepSouth
11-30-2007, 03:59 PM
The Chiefs need to draft an offensive lineman with a "W" in his name;

Willie Roaf
Brian Waters
Casey Wegman
Will Shields

this ain't so hard.........

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2007, 04:00 PM

Tim Couch.

Der Flöprer
11-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Tim Couch.

What makes you say that?

RJ
11-30-2007, 04:03 PM
While I usually hope for the best available player route, I think this year we should draft for need. And we need OL help. So I say this year in the first round we take the best available player who happens to be an OT.

Bowser
And for some reson, I think James Lauranitis has "bust" written all over him.

Sanka
And Croyle WILL hoist a few Lombardi's as a CHIEF, as well as earn a few free Caddy's(do they still give free Cadillac's to the SB MVP??).

Thats my word.

evolve27

Willie Roaf
Brian Waters
Casey Wegman
Will Shields

Will Svitek, Rudy Niswanger...that's not gonna work.
Maybe a player with two "W"'s, such as Dwayne Bowe.

DeepSouth
11-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Will Svitek, Rudy Niswanger...that's not gonna work.
Maybe a player with two "W"'s, such as Dwayne Bowe.

Damit Man !!

Sanka

Willie Roaf
Brian Waters
Casey Wegman
Will Shields

Welbourne? :nosmilie:

Discuss Thrower
What makes you say that?

I'm a Kentucky fan.. And a Chiefs fan too. Lots of disappointment to go around.

Otherwise... Meh.

ChiefsCountry
The best between Oher, Clardy or Ellis would be my pick.

SBK
11-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Whatever happened to the LT from USC? Baker? Does he suck or something?

KC Tattoo
11-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I love Brodie Croyle and want him as our QB for years to come. We need the OL to protect him or whoever our QB is going to be, PLEASE GOD NOT PENINGTON :# .

CupidStunt
11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm thinking more and more we need to draft a QB. Not necessarily with the first pick, however. But if Croyle isn't the answer, we're gonna be a few years behind the AFC West if we have to spend the top 2009 pick on a QB.

I like Erik Ainge. He's got a better arm than every 'big three' QB and I'd take his entire skillset over theirs, too. Reminds me of a much better and more gifted Derek Anderson.

1. BPA (Loadholt, Oher, Sedrick Ellis, Laurinaitis or Jenkins)

2. Ainge

3. BPA (any frickin' position outside of QB, TE, P and K)

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Been hurt this year, have to ask Mecca and the other USC guy on here to be sure.

CupidStunt
11-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Small, ZBS-type tackle. Lack of a mean streak. Decent but not elite pass blocker. Injury question marks. Limited upside.

Much sooner see us take the mammoth, aka. Phil Loadholt, or Michael Oher.

HolmeZz
11-30-2007, 04:25 PM

You usually draft one when you don't have one.

HolmeZz
11-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Tim Couch.

They don't have anything in common other than the school they went to. They don't even play in remotely similar offenses.

Sanka
11-30-2007, 04:46 PM
You usually draft one when you don't have one.
WTF you mean we don't have a QB, what we don't have is a OL or OC. On top of that we don't have a HC that isn't afraid of scoring.

Dicky McElephant
11-30-2007, 04:49 PM
I think we need another Johnson. Derrick and Larry are getting lonely.

El Jefe
11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
And for some reson, I think James Lauranitis has "bust" written all over him.

Wow no way, this guy is gonna be great. He is like a faster smarter AJ Hawk. He get's off blocks well and is capable of covering deep, isn't a liability in pass coverage, great against the run, very good at reading the QB and getting picks. He studies the game a lot and works hard and he is very very humble, I got to hear him give his testimony, he is a very humble young man.

Tribal Warfare
11-30-2007, 05:41 PM
BPA, and it could be Ellis,Jenkins,Phillips, or Baker in that order

LiL stumppy
11-30-2007, 05:45 PM
If we are in the top 10, we have GOT to get help on our O-Line. I know Mecca and his ilk will flame me for saying draft a need, but c'mon - this line is horrendous. Nothing else works on offense if your line sucks.

You should have seen what I went through last year with him when I said we should draft a OL in the first round. I guess he was still right huh?

LiL stumppy
11-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Wow no way, this guy is gonna be great. He is like a faster smarter AJ Hawk. He get's off blocks well and is capable of covering deep, isn't a liability in pass coverage, great against the run, very good at reading the QB and getting picks. He studies the game a lot and works hard and he is very very humble, I got to hear him give his testimony, he is a very humble young man.

Yea I think the kid is going to be a stud, he reminds me of the big SS who put on a few pounds and was converted to a LB. He actually reminds me of Donnie Edwards.

Tribal Warfare
11-30-2007, 05:48 PM
You should have seen what I went through last year with him when I said we should draft a OL in the first round. I guess he was still right huh?

I'm not complaining, KC got D-Bowe out of it

LiL stumppy
11-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm not complaining, KC got D-Bowe out of it

Yea, things worked out a lot better than I thought they would. He's a stud.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2007, 05:55 PM
It's impossible to know before the combine. Too many workout warriors will shoot up the draft boards.

It might not be the worst idea to trade down to the middle of the first round and try and nab a guy like Clady there and pick up another 2nd or third in the process.

LiL stumppy
11-30-2007, 05:57 PM
I agree, many people probably don't like the idea but I really wouldn't mind drafting a OL in the first and second round, then a CB.

CupidStunt
11-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Trading down is great in concept but will be hard to do in reality. The only hope I'd have there is for a team like Carolina or Baltimore to fall in love with a QB that they're prepared to move up above a couple teams for. I won't hold my breath on that happening, though. I think this is a class where most teams are going to wait on their pick and go BPA.

the Talking Can
11-30-2007, 06:18 PM
with the exception of RB and maybe DE, you could justify picking any position on our team....

dj56dt58
11-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I like Croyle but wouldn't mind getting Woodson...he can get away from pressure and run for the first down and would force the defense to adjust to his style of play. then we could go offensive line in the 2nd round maybe the 3rd as well. I also wouldn't mind going OL in the first round, OL 2nd round and wr 3rd round and getting a corner later

Sfeihc
11-30-2007, 07:02 PM
If we end up in the 6-9 range I agree with Hamas and a trade down for more picks would be the way to go.

If I were forced to make a pick there it would be DeSean Jackson. He would solve the return man void and EK's replacement.

duncan_idaho
11-30-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm dreaming of Jake Long...

Would settle for Oher, I guess, as long as we don't reach. Oher is a freak of nature...

Idahojim
11-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I believe Michael Oher from Ole Miss is just a junior. But if he comes out early and he's still there when the Chiefs draft, they should take him in a heartbeat. This guy's a beast. He could anchor the left tackle position for years - he's in the Roaf, Ogden and Pace class.

ArrowheadHawk
11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
how bout Aqib Talib

CoMoChief
11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
how bout Aqib Talib
Too slow.

ArrowheadHawk
11-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Too slow.
:shake:

Mecca
11-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Baker has the same problem Tamba Hali had, he's maxed out and he likely won't get much better than he already is. He's also had a bunch of injury issues this year, he missed 3 games with a tear of his hamstring.

Woodson if they take him you can't complain that's a real QB to develop. I think Croyle is likely a backup, he's to injury prone to ever be a starter. Now I don't expect the Chiefs to do that just because it's not Carls MO to take a QB with a 1st round pick...

Expect a lineman, with depth and needs and everything I'd take Sedrick Ellis then go for a OT in the 2nd round...

SBK
11-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Baker has the same problem Tamba Hali had, he's maxed out and he likely won't get much better than he already is. He's also had a bunch of injury issues this year, he missed 3 games with a tear of his hamstring.

Woodson if they take him you can't complain that's a real QB to develop. I think Croyle is likely a backup, he's to injury prone to ever be a starter. Now I don't expect the Chiefs to do that just because it's not Carls MO to take a QB with a 1st round pick...

Expect a lineman, with depth and needs and everything I'd take Sedrick Ellis then go for a OT in the 2nd round...

That makes sense. As much as I want to see a dominating LT as our pick, a dominating DT wouldn't be bad either.

CupidStunt
12-01-2007, 04:36 AM
:shake:

Yes, he is.

Talib sucks. Slow and burned every week. Kinda like a good steak on the grill.

Direckshun
12-01-2007, 04:41 PM
BPA.

But the best OT available, if we're going to go need.

Would also like the most talented DT or WR available.

percysnow
12-01-2007, 04:45 PM

because Croyle sucks. . but i do agree we need O-line first. . i really have never seen a QB so beloved for doing abosolutely nothing. . I mean he couldnt even win the job in the preseason

Frankie
12-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Just post all the stud LTs in this draft. I'm beginning to hear more and more about the "O" boys (Oher and Otah). As things are going we might have a shot at Jake Long too.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I don't think Oher is the type of guy you can move around easily... he hasn't been playing football very long and still is pretty raw and learning the game.

If you get him, I think you have to put him where you want him and move others around accordingly. McIntosh can play right tackle just fine...

Frankie
12-01-2007, 04:52 PM
James Laurinaitis, LB

Laurinaitis? I thought they found a cure for it.

Reerun_KC
12-01-2007, 04:56 PM
because Huard sucks. . but i do agree we need O-line first. . i really have never seen a QB so beloved for doing abosolutely nothing. . I mean he faked an injury so he wouldnt have to compete for the job in the preseason

FYP

LMAO..

duncan_idaho
12-01-2007, 05:38 PM
What makes you think McIntosh can play RT fine?
Just because someone can play LT doesnt mean they can play RT and vice versa.

you might want to read this:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175686

McIntosh has started over 78 games at left tackle and two at right guard for his career. More than anyone, I dont think He is someone who can be moved to RT. He is also a horrible run blocker (at least the last 2 seasons) and is ranked 32nd in the league at his position. We are avg 2.27yrd/carry when we try to run a sweep around the left side.

A right handed QB (all the ones on our roster) blind side his the left, thus you need a good pass protector (who is light on his feet) on the left. Right Tackles have to be good run blockers. McIntosh has the quickness to be a good LT, but lacks the strength/ability to be a good RT, IMO.

Micheal Oher was asked to step in immediately as a RG and he did at a high level. He was then switched to LT, and he has played that well also. Ideally, you want a player not to be moved to multiple positions, but most college LT started playing at another position (generally Right side). In the same manner, it is rare that a college LT starts immediately at LT in the nfl (though McNeil, DBrick, and Thomas have recently).

Under the presumption that McIntosh cannot be moved to another position (and he is contract for 5more seasons though can be cut at anytime, and he is an old dog 30yrs old not learning a new trick). that our lineup could look like this:

McIntosh |Waters| Niswanger|Oher |rookie RT
Oher

Svitek, Taylor, and others can fight for backup positions.

As for the "Rookie RT" there are a number of guys that appear like they will be dominant RT in the NFL, might be able to eventually play LT but dont appear to have the ability right now. They are:
1. Jake Long
2. Gosder Cherilus
3. Tony HIlls
4 Barry Richardson
and many many more. We could pick up a starting RT anywhere between the 2-4th rounds.

McIntosh played RT in Miami and was decent there. That's what led me to say that.

Have you read "The Blind Side"? There's a lot of stuff in there about Michael Oher, and that's what makes me weary about moving him around a lot.

The guy is raw, and if you draft him, you're committing to him as your LT of the future. No sense in moving him around a ton...

Tribal Warfare
12-01-2007, 06:21 PM
was reading this:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175730

I really hope the juniors declare (loadholt, oher, clady). I think Oher is the best option for the chiefs altogether. He can start at RG for us immediately (with Niswanger at center) as long as McIntosh is a chief. He can eventually be our starting LT. Ohers flexibility and ability to play at a high level at key positions makes him a strong candidate even as a top 10 pick, IMO.

Clady is overrated and I'd pass on him, the guy got burned by a the Hawaii DEs a few times.

Direckshun
12-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I think Mecca's got the best analysis so far. I'd jump on Woodson if he were available, but he looks Top 5 to me.

But who are the teams likely to Draft before the Chiefs this year? I can think of three teams that will probably finish worse than the Chiefs and will go to Woodson before we get to him:

Miami -- Beck (QBotF, hasn't had time for proper evaluation)
Rams -- Bulger (Pro Bowler, just signed massive contract)
Jets -- Clemens (QBotF, just now went to him and hasn't looked that good)
Patriots -- Brady (Hall of Famer)
Falcons -- nobody
Raiders -- Russell (QBotF)
Bengals -- Palmer (Pro Bowler)
Panthers -- Carr (backup-talent at best, who's Matt Moore?)

I'd love Woodson if he's hanging around, but I just don't think he can make it through these three teams -- neither will Brohm or Ryan.

Mecca
12-01-2007, 06:54 PM
The Jets are taking Chris Long mark that and the Falcons would take Brohm look at the coach.

CupidStunt
12-01-2007, 07:00 PM
The Falcons will take Brohm because he's the best QB prospect in the draft. The coach connection has very little to do with it (see: Tennessee, Leinart).

Impossible to say who the Jets will take at this point. If McFadden's there, I doubt they pass.

Mecca
12-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I'll lean to Long for the Jets he fits their scheme and having a DE is better than a RB when you are that far away.

Halfcan
12-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Colt should be a Chief.

keg in kc
12-01-2007, 08:42 PM
We have to rebuild the offense, and I think it has to start with a left tackle. Because the reality is that we aren't going to luck out on another Roaf; good ones just don't get let go.

Ugly Duck
12-01-2007, 09:23 PM
WTF you mean we don't have a QB

SportingNews thinks you'll draft a QB:

CHIEFS: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston Coll.

Strengths: Is smart, and consistently makes good decisions with the ball. Shows good poise in the pocket. Does not panic as the pocket collapses; will throw away the ball to avoid a sack. Slides around smoothly in the pocket to avoid pressure, when he senses it. When forced out of pocket, keeps head up and eyes downfield to find receivers; can re-set and throw accurately on the move. Strides into throws nicely, and shows the arm strength to make all NFL throws with zip and accuracy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html

Chiefs=Good
12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
SportingNews thinks you'll draft a QB:

CHIEFS: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston Coll.

Strengths: Is smart, and consistently makes good decisions with the ball. Shows good poise in the pocket. Does not panic as the pocket collapses; will throw away the ball to avoid a sack. Slides around smoothly in the pocket to avoid pressure, when he senses it. When forced out of pocket, keeps head up and eyes downfield to find receivers; can re-set and throw accurately on the move. Strides into throws nicely, and shows the arm strength to make all NFL throws with zip and accuracy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html

It will just depend on how Brodie looks these last few games. If he shows close to anything then i doubt that they take another QB not yet anyway.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Maybe McIntosh only played RT in the preseason or something... I remember editing a story about Hudson Houck (their OL coach, whatever his name is) that was talking about McIntosh at right tackle.

Mecca
12-01-2007, 11:36 PM
It will just depend on how Brodie looks these last few games. If he shows close to anything then i doubt that they take another QB not yet anyway.

Right now he looks like glass.

Frankie
12-01-2007, 11:53 PM
The Jets are taking Chris Long mark that and the Falcons would take Brohm look at the coach.
Didn't the Jets take LT D. Ferguson just two drafts ago?

CupidStunt
12-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Didn't the Jets take LT D. Ferguson just two drafts ago?

Chris Long is a DE. Jake Long could play RT for them, although I see no way they spend a high pick on a RT.

Frankie
12-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Chris Long is a DE. Jake Long could play RT for them, although I see no way they spend a high pick on a RT.
My bad. I thought the subject was Jake.