PDA

View Full Version : Is this a little pathetic?

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 12:10 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11/30/chiefs_to_honor_s_jerome_woods_at_sundays_game_vs_san_diego/

As part of a special pregame ceremony, the Kansas City Chiefs will honor the career of former Pro Bowl S Jerome Woods prior to Sunday’s game vs. the San Diego Chargers. Woods spent 10 seasons in a Kansas City uniform, playing 128 games (105 starts) after joining the club as its first-round pick (28th overall) in the ‘96 NFL Draft.

“Jerome Woods played his entire career with the Chiefs, a rare occasion in today’s NFL,” Chiefs President Carl Peterson commented. “He was an excellent first-round draft choice who distinguished himself on and off the field. He was a Pro Bowl player who helped us win many football games over his time here. Chiefs alums were always important to our Founder Lamar Hunt. They continue the legacy he began back in ‘60 when he founded this franchise and the American Football League. We’re delighted to have Jerome with us and look forward to seeing him here at Arrowhead again.”

I mean, Woods had a couple good seasons. He went to the Pro Bowl ONCE. Are we going to be honoring Greg Wesley in five years?

I suppose it's no more pathetic than offering $25 seats to "teachers."

He was an excellent first-round draft choice

Oh...wait...here's the reason.

Gonzo
12-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Meh, in his prime he was ok. Last few years, not so good.

He's worth an honorable mention anyway.

KcMizzou
12-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Let's not be cynical and pissy about everything the Chiefs do...

He was a good player for us... that's all.

Bump
12-01-2007, 12:16 AM
he was pretty good in his prime. The last few seasons he really seemed to suck balls though. Respectable player nevertheless.

Cochise
12-01-2007, 12:16 AM
He was a pretty good player for several years. I liked him.

Unfortunately he got sucked into the Grob vortex. But he went out and did his job more often than not.

Bob Dole
12-01-2007, 12:20 AM
he was pretty good in his prime. The last few seasons he really seemed to suck balls though. Respectable player nevertheless.

Maybe because he was constantly injured?

He only played in 33 games in his final 4 seasons.

noa
12-01-2007, 12:26 AM
He played his entire career with us because he couldn't catch on with another team, not out of loyalty to the Chiefs. Let's not blow this out of proportion Carl. You gave him money so he stayed, and when no one else wanted him, he called it a career.

On a side note, I once saw him at Best Buy and then the next day he broke his leg. I haven't been back to that Best Buy since, out of fear of cursing more Chiefs.

PastorMikH
12-01-2007, 12:47 AM
I don't have as much problem with honoring Woods as I did with having a guy put into the Ring of Fame who left us to play for the Donkeys.

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 12:53 AM
I don't have as much problem with honoring Woods as I did with having a guy put into the Ring of Fame who left us to play for the Donkeys.

You're suggesting that Neil Smith should have taken less money to play for the Chiefs?

Smed1065
12-01-2007, 01:29 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11/30/chiefs_to_honor_s_jerome_woods_at_sundays_game_vs_san_diego/

I mean, Woods had a couple good seasons. He went to the Pro Bowl ONCE. Are we going to be honoring Greg Wesley in five years?

I suppose it's no more pathetic than offering $25 seats to "teachers."

Oh...wait...here's the reason.

So did you, I guess. No more pathetic than your threads recently. Guess bad year means no more sign ups for "inside" info.

LOL

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 01:30 AM
So did you, I guess.

What? I went to the Pro Bowl? When?

Fruit Ninja
12-01-2007, 01:34 AM
He was solid for us. Him and Tongue were pretty bad ass when they were around. Its just giving him some props. I dont mind.

Mecca
12-01-2007, 01:38 AM
We took this guy instead of Lawyer Milloy, yes an excellent first round choice.....also we took Reggie Tongue that year, over Brian Dawkins....also a brilliant pick.

blueballs
12-01-2007, 01:50 AM
He was/is a good character guy
he deserves it
to bad nobody wll be there to honor him

blueballs
12-01-2007, 01:50 AM
or to put it another way
will 20,00 Charger fans give a shit

BWillie
12-01-2007, 02:19 AM
jerome woods
used to be a overall 95
on madden 2001

Mecca
12-01-2007, 02:29 AM
jerome woods
used to be a overall 95
on madden 2001

I honestly never thought he was all that great.

Bump
12-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Maybe because he was constantly injured?

He only played in 33 games in his final 4 seasons.

ya, that's true. forgot about that.

Bob Dole
12-01-2007, 02:57 AM
I honestly never thought he was all that great.

How rare.

stevieray
12-01-2007, 07:38 AM
he was never the same after the broken leg, but let's not fool ourselves...he laid the wood and was popular among the fans...

HonestChieffan
12-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Goatse, with your attitude and outlook, I bet you have a hard time saying anything good about anybody. Get off Woods butt. I think its pretty neat to do what they are doing for a guy who was a Chief start to finish.

You need an enema.

CrazyHorse
12-01-2007, 08:15 AM
What's wrong with honoring a player that played his entire carreer here? Not to mention he was a part of the best safety tandem in the league when him and Tongue were both on the team. It seems that people remember more about the end of his carreer than the prime of his carreer.

In any event, he's not being inducted into the Chiefs HOF, he's just being recognized for being a carreer Chief. Personally, I'm happy to see the Chiefs honor him. He played hard for us and I appreciate it.

If I were able to make the game, he'd get a standing O from me.

Thanks Romy

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 08:19 AM
What's wrong with honoring a player that played his entire carreer here?

Quite a bit. Why aren't the Chiefs honoring Bill Kenney?

Not to mention he was a part of the best safety tandem in the league when him and Tongue were both on the team.

LOL...

Reerun_KC
12-01-2007, 08:24 AM
No more pathetic that you trying to validate yourself by making a poll about it...

CrazyHorse
12-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Quite a bit. Why aren't the Chiefs honoring Bill Kenney?

LOL...

You're only making it clear that you have little history with the Chiefs.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2007, 08:31 AM
He was a good player for us... that's all.

YOur right. He was a good player. But thats it. He was never anything special. There have been tons of good players in the NFL and who played for the Chiefs. Why honor him in particular when he never really did anything special of note??

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 08:33 AM
I tell you what this is....it's no coincidence that Woods still lives in KC and operates a business here. My guess is the Chiefs will somehow pimp his business.

Let's just hope he doesn't go into the Ring of Fame.

HonestChieffan
12-01-2007, 08:36 AM
speaking of pimps....maybe you need to call one.

PastorMikH
12-01-2007, 08:36 AM
He was/is a good character guy
he deserves it
to bad nobody wll be there to honor him

That's the part I'm scratching my head on, we're honoring him at an away game???

Shouldn't he be honored at Arrowhead?

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 08:38 AM
That's the part I'm scratching my head on, we're honoring him at an away game???

Shouldn't he be honored at Arrowhead?

The game is at Arrowhead.

CrazyHorse
12-01-2007, 08:40 AM
I tell you what this is....it's no coincidence that Woods still lives in KC and operates a business here. My guess is the Chiefs will somehow pimp his business.

Let's just hope he doesn't go into the Ring of Fame.

I doubt he goes into the ROF. Why over react over a simple player recognition ceremony? Are you really that small?

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 09:23 AM
I like how the post-broken leg years are all people ever seem to want to remember about him.

Sully
12-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Why did they stop having marching bands every week?

I miss that.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I like how the post-broken leg years are all people ever seem to want to remember about him.

No. He was a good player. but never great. Even before the broken leg thing.

Dude didnt even make the Pro-Bowl until his 9th year in the league.

Even then he was thrown a bone and promptly got toasted in one of the biggest games of his career (Jan 04 Colts playoff game)

blueballs
12-01-2007, 09:50 AM
GoChiefs woods envy

PastorMikH
12-01-2007, 10:21 AM
The game is at Arrowhead.

Thanks.

Don't know why but for some reason I kept thinking it was an away game. And with the MU game as well as our local HS playing for the state championship today, I'm really not interested in the Chiefs right now to bother checking.

gblowfish
12-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Let's have a ceremony for Trezelle Jenkins. Former first round draft pick, he spent his entire career with the Chiefs too.

Carl is such an attention whore. Jerome Woods was a journeyman, cheapens ceremonies for guys like Will Shields who really deserved it.

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Let's have a ceremony for Trezelle Jenkins. Former first round draft pick, he spent his entire career with the Chiefs too.

Carl is such an attention whore. Jerome Woods was a journeyman, cheapens ceremonies for guys like Will Shields who really deserved it.

I HAVE BEEN VALIDATED

Demonpenz
12-01-2007, 01:40 PM
woods was a solid player once was amoung the best at his position. He will always be remembered as a chief

gblowfish
12-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Woods was a solid player once was among the best at his position. He will always be remembered as a chief

Not to pick a fight, let's just say I beg to differ. Former Chiefs safeties who were as good or better than Woods:

Gary Barbaro
Johnny Robinson*
Jim Kearney
Martin Bayless
Mark Collins
Deron Cherry*
Lloyd Burruss*
Mike Sensibaugh
Reggie Tongue

*Chiefs Ring of Honor

Don't see why he deserves special recognition.

Who's next? Joe Valerio?

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Add Jarrad Page to that list.

StcChief
12-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Fine. Give him a hand at Half time. same team for 10years is something.

bringing up who we coulda/shoulda had is irrelevant to the fact he played here.

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Next year's candidates:

John Browning!

Eric Warfield!

William Bartee!

Sully
12-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Who's next? Joe Valerio?
That guy would get a huge ovation...LOL

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Its a pregame ceremony, which means its not that big of a deal. Halftime is reserved for the big stuff.

RedandGold
12-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Its a pregame ceremony, which means its not that big of a deal. Halftime is reserved for the big stuff.

That's pretty much my line of thinking. It's not like they're putting him in the ring of fame or anything.

dtebbe
12-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Woods and Tongue were pretty damn solid. I don't have any problem throwing him a bone. Hasty is still my all time favorite Chiefs DB. He seemed to never be out of position.

DT

Rain Man
12-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Like others, I don't see a problem with honoring Woods. I don't think the honors should merely be reserved for the big stars, but rather for anyone who made a good contribution to the team, or was with the team for 10 years or so. If we want to honor Greg Manusky or John Browning or Henry Marshall, I'm all for it.