PDA

View Full Version : Are the Coen Bros. the Best Ever? And Whats your Favorite Coen Bros. Film

SLAG
12-01-2007, 03:01 AM
I just got done watching "The Hudsucker Proxy" Ive always had an affection for that film since I was a young lad.

JJL gives a great performance and she is damn sexy in this flick as well.

They might just be the best film Makers of the past 45 years? ( the # is pulled out of my ass)

Well What do you think?

and whats your Favorite Movie by them?

Multipule Choice Here ya go..

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2007, 03:14 AM
In order:

Barton Fink

Miller's Crossing

Raising Arizona

All for entirely different reasons.

I'm watching Miller's Crossing right now.

Bump
12-01-2007, 03:25 AM
I suppose I need to start renting some movies, I've only seen 3 of them and those 3 were all great.

The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Raising Arizona

I will be adding the rest to my que on my blockbuster mail thing

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2007, 03:28 AM
But then there are the Godfathers II and I (in that order, IMO), Raging Bull...There are a few others that keep the Coens from dominating my list of the top 25 or so. But no other writer/director/producer individually or as team can compete with the Coens' broad acheivements. They're absolute geniuses, and I'm really pleased that I've had the opportunity to view their art.

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2007, 03:32 AM
I suppose I need to start renting some movies, I've only seen 3 of them and those 3 were all great.

The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Raising Arizona

I will be adding the rest to my que on my blockbuster mail thing

You have to see Barton Fink as soon as possible. It was the crowning achievement of John Goodman's career before his tragic and untimely death.

Well, here anyway.

FAX
12-01-2007, 03:33 AM
I really liked Blood Simple, Mr. SLAG. A very under rated film. But I shall vote for Fargo for number uno and The Big Lebowski for numero two.

FAX

SLAG
12-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Upon Looking at the full IMDB listing Look at the Cameo's in The Hudsucker Proxy:

John Goodman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000422/)
John Cameron (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0131625/)
Sam Raimi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000600/)
Steve Buscemi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000114/)
Anna Nicole Smith (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000645/)
Peter Gallagher (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001251/)
Bruce Campbell (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0132257/)

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2007, 03:36 AM
Seriously, would Steve Buscemi be who he is today without the Coens?

For that alone, we should thank them.

Tarantino gets the assist, BTW.

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2007, 03:47 AM
Steve Buscemi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000114/)

"Shut the **** up, Donny."

Bump
12-01-2007, 03:56 AM
You have to see Barton Fink as soon as possible. It was the crowning achievement of John Goodman's career before his tragic and untimely death.

Well, here anyway.

done, Barton Fink & Miller's crossing are at the top of my que. Now I have to hurry up and watch the movies I already have and send them back in the mail!

MadMax
12-01-2007, 03:57 AM

Well, here anyway.

Goodman died again??? Damn the man's like Jason. :shake: :deevee:

Baby Lee
12-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Don't know if it's coincidence by chance or if SLAG saw the same article, but;

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/primer_the_coen_brothers

SLAG
12-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Don't know if it's coincidence by chance or if SLAG saw the same article, but;

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/primer_the_coen_brothers

Totally Coincidence

Good Article

Thanks

Deberg_1990
12-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Fargo
Millers Crossing
O Brother

Loved Raising Arizona when i was a kid, but saw it recently and didnt like it as much.

Baby Lee
12-01-2007, 09:48 AM
It's really hard for me to rank Coen brothers movies as they, along with Tarantino, are THE directing crew that, for me, is a surefire watch every time.

Right now, Blood Simple has been making a long-running play for top spot. It's really a mashup between

Blood Simple
The Big Lebowski
Miller's Crossing
Raising Arizona, and
O Brother Where Art Thou

all in the 99.5th-99.9th percentile of my favorite movies.

And Fargo deserves to be in there for the performances, only I feel like I've digested the whole film and don't get as much out of repeat viewings as I do the others.

JBucc
12-01-2007, 09:58 AM
I like The Big Lebowski #1 of their films but I haven't seen the new one yet and I've got a hunch it might take over.

RJ
12-01-2007, 10:55 AM
I make a point of seeing everything from Coen bros. and Martin Scorcese. Tough to rank thier movies but I'll say

Fargo
Raising Arizona
O brother

I could change my mind on that quite easily.

milkman
12-01-2007, 10:57 AM
This poll tells me one thing.

I need to watch more movies.

el borracho
12-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Can anyone point me to the thread that discusses "No Country for Old Men"? I know there was one but I cannot find it.

Baby Lee
12-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Can anyone point me to the thread that discusses "No Country for Old Men"? I know there was one but I cannot find it.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=173890

Also, there's a new trailer for There Will Be Blood

http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/omg_there_will_be_blood

Fishpicker
12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
I love watching the Hudsucker Proxy. that movie is incredibly scaled. the whole thing is grandiose.

bango
12-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Fargo
O Brother
Lebowski
The Man
Arizona
Intolerable
Ladykillers
Barton
Hudsucker
Blood

I have not watched the others yet. Miller's, No Country, Paris.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Not sure if they are the best ever, but they have definately carved their own niche and subgenre.

irishjayhawk
12-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Definitely not the best ever, but No Country For Old Men was fantastic. They have a really good eye for cinematography and the feel of the film. Brilliance.

Chiefless
12-01-2007, 01:06 PM
I am a huge Gohen Brothers fan. While I have not seen four of their recent films I would rank Oh Brother at or near the bottom of their films. I realize I am in the minority, but can some the fans explain what makes this film so good? Cause, to me it's simply a vehicle for blue-grass music (which I am also fond of). But, the story is not NEARLY as rich as Fargo, Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona, etc. It's a road movie from one Blue Grass act to the next and little more, IMO.

SLAG
12-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I am a huge Gohen Brothers fan. While I have not seen four of their recent films I would rank Oh Brother at or near the bottom of their films. I realize I am in the minority, but can some the fans explain what makes this film so good? Cause, to me it's simply a vehicle for blue-grass music (which I am also fond of). But, the story is not NEARLY as rich as Fargo, Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona, etc. It's a road movie from one Blue Grass act to the next and little more, IMO.

The Symbolism man your missing it, the whole story is based off of The Odyssey

cdcox
12-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Miller's Crossing is great.

After that, I'm not so impressed. I've seen Fargo and Raising Arizona a couple of times. I like the former, but RA just doesn't do much for me. I thought Oh, Brother was boring. I've only seen TBL once. I'd watch it again, but it sure didn't blow my socks off.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2007, 04:45 PM
BTW, Just out of curiosity...

Is there anyone here who liked when they tried to go mainstream with "Intolerable Cruelty, and "Ladykilllers"?

Didnt care much for either one. Ironically, they didnt feel like Coen Bros. flicks to me.

irishjayhawk
12-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Weird enough, I hated, loathe, abhor Fargo.

Silock
12-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Big Lebowski. Greatest movie ever.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-01-2007, 05:00 PM
id poitn out they only did Tuileries in paris i love you.

it doesn't get better than millers corssign.

Fishpicker
12-01-2007, 05:01 PM
BTW, Just out of curiosity...

Is there anyone here who liked when they tried to go mainstream with "Intolerable Cruelty, and "Ladykilllers"?

Didnt care much for either one. Ironically, they didnt feel like Coen Bros. flicks to me.

I liked Ladykillers but I thought it was more interesting than it was funny. Tom Hanks kind of phoned it in.

KC Jones
12-01-2007, 05:32 PM
I really need to start watching movies again. I haven't yet seen these Coen brother ventures:

No Country for Old Men
Paris, I Love You
The Ladykillers
Intolerable Cruelty
The Man Who Wasn't There
Blood Simple

I think they are insanely good, but I'm not a big enough film wanker to feel comfortable saying they are the best ever. However I can't think of anyone else right now whose repertoire is as good.

Buck
12-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I havent seen No Country for Old Men yet, but I had a tie w/ Big Lebowski and O Brother. Both movies are damn good.

Thig Lyfe
12-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Definitely not the best ever, but No Country For Old Men was fantastic. They have a really good eye for cinematography and the feel of the film. Brilliance.

Agreed. It ought to win Best Picture.

kcfanXIII
12-01-2007, 05:42 PM
"what is that, like yoga or something?"

"yes, it increases the chances of conception."

spits drink, "let me tell you something about the dude, man...."

irishjayhawk
12-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Agreed. It ought to win Best Picture.
There's plenty more time for nominations. Who do you have it up against at the present time?

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was really good too. Hoffman should get a nod.

Dicky McElephant
12-01-2007, 06:12 PM
"Shut the **** up, Donny."

Interesting trivia about Steve Buscemi:

Stabbed in the throat, head and arm during a barroom brawl at the Firebelly Lounge in Wilmington, North Carolina. The brawl also involved Vince Vaughn, who was arrested for brutalizing one of Buscemi's attackers. He suffered a deep cut to the face and now has a noticeable scar on his cheek. Heavy make-up is used to hide it in movies.

Frazod
12-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Haven't seen the new one yet. Of the ones I've seen, Miller's Crossing is my favorite.

Thig Lyfe
12-01-2007, 06:25 PM
There's plenty more time for nominations. Who do you have it up against at the present time?

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was really good too. Hoffman should get a nod.

Apparently There Will Be Blood (which had a pretty good trailer in front of NCFOM) and Atonement are getting some major Best Picture buzz as well. I wouldn't be surprised if those three, American Gangster and Juno (in the Little Miss Sunshine slot) comprised the Best Picture category.

Baby Lee
12-01-2007, 06:33 PM
I haven't yet seen :
Blood Simple
For any who haven't seen Blood Simple, I implore you. A tightly wound, labrynthine, both humorous and thrilling, story.

The title comes from the notion that, when you get your emotions up, you end up acting stupid. And basically it's a circle of folks who have some misfounded ideas about what the rest are up to and react on fear and emotion resulting in more twists and turns than you can shake a stick at. But that summation doesn't really do it justice. It just bristles with so much nervous energy that the slightest lightening of the mood comes off with an air of gallows humor.

As with any Coen brothers, multiple viewings allow you to get past following the narrative and delving into the mood and smaller notes that make them classic.

Raising Arizona and O Brother are the only Coen brothers I've loved the first time out, probably because they're the broadest comedically. I was BITTERLY disappointed with The Big Lebowski on first viewing because of my expectations, and now it's among my all time favorite rewatchable movie and comedy.

But every one, to a movie, have benefitted from repeat viewings

sd4chiefs
12-01-2007, 06:51 PM
I havent seen No Country for Old Men yet, but I had a tie w/ Big Lebowski and O Brother. Both movies are damn good.

The first 90 minutes of this movie (No Country) was great. The last 30 minutes sucked.

Anyong Bluth
12-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Barton Fink - if you haven't seen it, your own damn fault.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - seamlessly interpretation of The Odyssey, with a twist.

The Big Lebowski - The dude concedes

Fargo - der...

Intolerable Cruelty - unheralded, but has so many 1 - liners it's absurd.

Raising Arizona - Why ain't you breast-feeding? You appear to be capable."

The Hudsucker Proxy

The Man Who Wasn't There

If you don't know, now ya know, jigga! You gotta love what they've done!

REDICULOUS!