PDA

View Full Version : Are you an alcoholic?

Dunit35
12-01-2007, 09:30 PM
If you sit at home and drink by yourself? I've heard people say if you get drunk by yourself you are an alcoholic. Is that so?

I'm sitting here watching the game, drinking by myself and planning on getting drunk.

Does anybody ever drink to get drunk by themselves?

JBucc
12-01-2007, 09:31 PM
No, but you probably are a loser with no friends.

Claynus
12-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I believe we have several alcoholics here who won't admit it.

Baconeater
12-01-2007, 09:35 PM
IMO, you're not an alcoholic until the alcohol starts ****ing up your life. But in that case you're probably a loser who was going to **** up his life anyway.

Dunit35
12-01-2007, 09:36 PM
No, but you probably are a loser with no friends.

Ah, maybe you're right.

Dunit35
12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
IMO, you're not an alcoholic until the alcohol starts ****ing up your life. But in that case you're probably a loser who was going to **** up his life anyway.

Not an alcoholic at all. Just been drinking more lately due to some problems in the house.

Baconeater
12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Not an alcoholic at all. Just been drinking more lately due to some problems in the house.
When I said "you" I didn't mean you in particular. I meant people in general. And trust me, I know a beer or six helps to take the edge off things.

Demonpenz
12-01-2007, 09:48 PM
an alcholic is a person who is addicted to alchohol. Most are alchohol abusers

plbrdude
12-01-2007, 09:55 PM
i was an alcoholic, but not anymore.

Cochise
12-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I never have it in the house. I will go out and have a couple with friends once a week or once every other week.

I don't want to become one of those guys who goes home at night and drinks or can't watch sports without a beer or whatever. That's sad.

crazycoffey
12-01-2007, 10:21 PM
my soon to be second ex wife told me the same thing, if you can sit at home and have a few beers or get drunk, OR if you can go to the bar by yourself then you're an alcoholic.

I've always felt if you have to have a drink when you shouldn't - i.e. at work, church, doctor's office, etc - then you're an alcoholic

deadbabyseal
12-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm a recovering alcoholic. Getting drunk by yourself doesn't necessarily make you an alcoholic, but it sure as hell isn't a good sign.

Buehler445
12-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I hardly ever drink. Frankly, I believe there are better things for me to spend my money on. But I love going out with the boys and having some drinks. But as far as doing it by myself, the closest I got was trying to drink a glass of wine before bed because it is supposed to be good for your heart. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with a decent bottle of wine....so no.

I would encourage you not to use alcohol to escape your problems. That increases the chances of shit getting more ****ed up. JMO. I know a lot of people do it, but in my eyes, that is a very ineffective way of adressing problems.

I know a lot of people think differently than me, and I don't judge people for that kind of stuff because I do plenty of shit wrong.

crazycoffey
12-01-2007, 10:30 PM
I hardly ever drink. Frankly, I believe there are better things for me to spend my money on. But I love going out with the boys and having some drinks. But as far as doing it by myself, the closest I got was trying to drink a glass of wine before bed because it is supposed to be good for your heart. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with a decent bottle of wine....so no.

I would encourage you not to use alcohol to escape your problems. That increases the chances of shit getting more ****ed up. JMO. I know a lot of people do it, but in my eyes, that is a very ineffective way of adressing problems.

I know a lot of people think differently than me, and I don't judge people for that kind of stuff because I do plenty of shit wrong.

Oh, like facing your problems and finding realistic solutions will ever work.

Bartender! Bring me a double......

Buehler445
12-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Oh, like facing your problems and finding realistic solutions will ever work.

Bartender! Bring me a double......

Comin right up:)

Baconeater
12-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh, like facing your problems and finding realistic solutions will ever work.......
I'll drink to that! :toast:

Dunit35
12-01-2007, 10:48 PM
my soon to be second ex wife told me the same thing, if you can sit at home and have a few beers or get drunk, OR if you can go to the bar by yourself then you're an alcoholic.

I've always felt if you have to have a drink when you shouldn't - i.e. at work, church, doctor's office, etc - then you're an alcoholic

That's sad, I went to the bar by my house a couple weeks ago around 6 p.m. and had a few beers by myself.

MadMax
12-01-2007, 10:50 PM

Sweet! I do none of the above so I can continue to drink almost every night... J/K :)

MadMax
12-01-2007, 10:57 PM

Sometimes people handle things differently than others, my life is ****ed up, some my fault, others outside of my control. I suppose i'm a loser, which would explain why I've followed a loser team my whole life..:( Damn now i'm depressed I think i'll finish of the bottle and pretend to deal with this awesome life tomorrow.. Oh **** Huard is starting, now I'll put it off till another day. Sorry for the rant , I'm drunk. ROFL :shake: :banghead:

Gonzo
12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Apparently, because I drink more than 5 drinks twice a week, (Poker night and Sunday) I have a problem.

I do love the Scotch.
http://www.alcoholscreening.org/

Lonewolf Ed
12-01-2007, 11:11 PM
If you sit at home and drink by yourself? I've heard people say if you get drunk by yourself you are an alcoholic. Is that so?

I'm sitting here watching the game, drinking by myself and planning on getting drunk.

Does anybody ever drink to get drunk by themselves?

If you hide empties from yourself, or tell yourself that you just had low tolerance that day, you might have a problem. If you sit alone and have a beer or two, it's not necessarily a problem. If your hands are shaking before you slam the first one, and the more you drink the steadier they get, then you do have a problem.

KCChiefsFan88
12-01-2007, 11:13 PM
There is a correlation between following the Chiefs during the Dictator Carl era and the rise in rates of alcoholism among Chiefs fans

chagrin
12-01-2007, 11:13 PM
I'll drink to that! :toast:

you'll drink to anything

chagrin
12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I never have it in the house. I will go out and have a couple with friends once a week or once every other week.

I don't want to become one of those guys who goes home at night and drinks or can't watch sports without a beer or whatever. That's sad.

I find that I enjoy the games more when I don't drink

Baconeater
12-01-2007, 11:33 PM
I find that I enjoy the games more when I don't drink
Did you become a fan of a different team?

alanm
12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Used to. But I don't drink anymore. :shake:

blueballs
12-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Why is drinking alone a bad thing
two drunk people is more dangerous

Demonpenz
12-02-2007, 12:21 AM
If you really have the disease of alcholism you fiend for it. Drink cologne, get the shakes when not on it, will do anything to get a drink. Drinking by your self using it for an escape is more an abuser. Alchohol abuse can still lead to liver damage and other you should worry about it but you aren't an alcholic.

SPchief
12-02-2007, 12:23 AM
yes

crazycoffey
12-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Used to. But I don't drink anymore. :shake:

Yeah, I don't drink anymore either,
of course, I don't drink any less
but I don't drink any more.

Reerun_KC
12-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Dude, you have my number and know where I live. If you need to get away for awhile, swing on by... we can have a few together, watch something sports related and chat...

Here for my Chiefs brethren..

luv
12-02-2007, 11:03 PM

Soon to be ex? What happened?

Alcoholism is when you stop controlling how much you drink and let it start to control you. JMO. I don't tend to drink at home alone very often. I'm a social drinker, so there's really no point. I can go out and have a drink or two by myself. Two is my limit though. I'm my own designated driver. I've never thought I've not been able to do something without having a drink. Well, maybe with the exception of dancing in public.

Bump
12-02-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't drink by myself, I only drink in social settings. Like last night for example....headache!! I usually go out drinking once on the weekends and when we do go out we usually drink way too much. My friends like to buy rounds of shots constantly and then I feel obligated to buy a round or 2 and we usually get pretty drunk when we're out, but at least we always call a cab!

ClevelandBronco
12-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Why is drinking alone a bad thing
two drunk people is more dangerous

Good point.

'Round about 22 years ago when I was still a pup, and older co-worker and I went out one night and killed all the mezcal that was to be had at our favorite bar. They only had a couple of bottles (or they were lying about having no more) and we each scored a worm.

Sometime during the course of that evening he instructed me to call his home, tell his wife not to pay the ransom, and hang up. I dutifully did as I was told.

Next morning I came in to the office very bleary-eyed, and certainly stinking to high heaven. The second in command came up to me and asked what had happened the previous night. I wondered what he had heard, and told him that the co-worker and I had "a couple of beers" after work.

The jefe then informed me that my buddy had gone home, gotten into an argument with his wife, pulled a gun out and shot himself in the stomach. (For those of you who may be considering shooting yourself, I'd highly recommend that you avoid the stomach.)

I got to meet his wife in the hospital for the first time. My friend got to wear a bag that he could shit in for the rest of his life.

Me? I don't drink like I used to.

Phobia
12-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Why can't people drink simply to enjoy the beverage? When you start drinking quality beer your motivation for drinking changes from "man I gotta choke this crap down as fast as possible" to "I really enjoy this quality crafted brew - what's the rush".

If you're planning to get drunk that might be a warning sign - maybe. Do you ever plan NOT to get drunk and succeed? That might be a better question.

Demonpenz
12-03-2007, 12:39 AM
I saw where blvd had a christmas nutcracker beer. I can't drink more than a couple good beers they are really filling, but really bring out a good meal.

Phobia
12-03-2007, 12:42 AM
I saw where blvd had a christmas nut"The Man" beer. I can't drink more than a couple good beers they are really filling, but really bring out a good meal.

That's good stuff. Paddy O's screwed up my entire night Saturday. I had a draw from a tap marked "Nutcracker" and I drank it. It wasn't Nutcracker - it was probably Bob's 47 which I don't really care for but because it was unexpected my palate was jacked up the rest of the night. They gave me a Pale instead but my beer consumption for the evening was through. Strange how that works.

BWillie
12-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Why can't people drink simply to enjoy the beverage? When you start drinking quality beer your motivation for drinking changes from "man I gotta choke this crap down as fast as possible" to "I really enjoy this quality crafted brew - what's the rush".

If you're planning to get drunk that might be a warning sign - maybe. Do you ever plan NOT to get drunk and succeed? That might be a better question.

I know I'm in the minority here, but getting drunk has never really caused me problems. I have a few alcoholics in my family too, but I find it hard work to get drunk over 2 days a week. When I was in college and I would drink 4 days in one week, I wouldn't want to look at alcohol for like five days. I don't know how people would want to drink almost everyday.

If you are getting tanked a couple days a week, I really don't see a problem as long as it's not effecting your work or relationships with people. For me, when I drink I'm nicer to people, I can tolerate people I hate, I'm more outgoing, I don't want to lay around as much, I'm not as cheap, and I want to screw chicks more. So it's actually detrimental to me not to drink on the weekends.

I heard there was a pill made over in Europe that you can take and immediately get "drunk". The effects would go straight to your brain, and not through your digestive system. So the pill was healthy, had no effects on the liver, no toxins like all the shit in alcohol. It just went directly to the area of the brain that lowers inhibitions just like alcohol did....yet nobody wants to let people use it...because it would be neglected. There was also a pill you can take to sober up quickly before you would drive home. Best part is there is NO HANGOVER.

When I worked in retail, I would get off at 10 pm, so I would just put some vodka in an energy drink and drink it under the counter on my break at 7 pm. By the time 830 pm got there I was enjoying my job more, trying to sell more products, and actively in a better mood.

Alcohol has nothing but positive effects in my life. So IMO, being an alcoholic is all subjective. Some people can be alcoholics if they get trashed once a month because they will get in fights and get thrown in jail. Others get drunk every day and they lose their job. Just depends how you use it.

Dave Lane
12-03-2007, 07:10 AM
I'm an alcoholic I drink 2 or 3 glasses of wine 3-4 times a year and probably can't stop.

Dave

DaKCMan AP
12-03-2007, 07:13 AM
I don't drink alone.

tooge
12-03-2007, 07:31 AM
I ma have a beer or 2 alone just to wind down or to watch a good game or movie by myself, but it is sorta rare that I do that, usually a glass of wine. I may get plastered with buddies if we are out of town or somewhere where we dont have to drive, and I always say why the hell do we do that. For the most part though, a couple of really good quality brews at a brew pub or at home with friends is the way to go for me. I have always felt that alcoholism starts when your normal function in life becomes affected (work, school, parenting, relationships) by drinking, like showing up late.

MichaelH
12-03-2007, 08:00 AM
It seems that according to the definition, anyone that drinks is an alcoholic. I have consumed beer alone but not all the time. My problem is that my wife only drinks a few times a year and none of our friends drink. Therefore, I am the only one drinking at family and friendly gatherings. If I'm at a house where nobody drinks, neither do I. I could do like smokers do and take their fix with them. Why is it right for one and not the other?

wolfpack0735
12-03-2007, 08:01 AM
What the hell? you know my number------CALL IT! you have a brother close go see him or CALL HIM! why are letting the b@tch bother you. you have toget your act together now. dont ever let a woman control your emotions.

Rausch
12-03-2007, 08:09 AM
The drinking by yourself thing has to be the dumbest bunch of BS I've ever heard. It doesn't work or make sense with any other addiction.

Do you Gamble by youself?
Do you have sex by yourself?
Do you cook alone?
Do you smoke all by yourself?

Whatever. It's not where you drink, it's how much or WHY you drink.

BigRedChief
12-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Drinking problem?
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/allelse/anythingelse/airplane1213112.jpg

cadmonkey
12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
if you have to ask if you are an alcoholic then the answer is no