PDA

View Full Version : Why is the SEC the toughest conference?

Buck
12-02-2007, 12:13 AM
I dont get why everyone always says the SEC is the toughest conference. All the teams there are pretty much overrated. I guess the reason why they get so much love is because they are the most popular teams...

Discuss.

Garcia Bronco
12-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Bigger, faster, stronger talent. It's just that simple.

ChiefsCountry
Hmm bc it is. I wouldnt say they are the most popular teams either.

KCChiefsFan88
SEC is a FRAUD every year. The only reason why they have a lot of teams ranked every year is because a lot of the voters in the polls are based in SEC country and have an SEC bias.

El Jefe
12-02-2007, 12:21 AM

Yeah that's it. :rolleyes:

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2007, 12:22 AM
SEC is a FRAUD every year. The only reason why they have a lot of teams ranked every year is because a lot of the voters in the polls are based in SEC country and have an SEC bias.

So Miami and Florida International, the two worst teams in Florida. ROFL

Pablo
12-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Because SEC fans say so.

However, the most interesting game I watched all year was last week's Arkansas vs. LSU.

Can't deny there's a ton of talent down there.

Buck
12-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Because SEC fans say so.

However, the most interesting game I watched all year was last week's Arkansas vs. LSU.

Can't deny there's a ton of talent down there.

Yeah, but until Dixon got hurt; USC, Oregon, Arizona State were considered talented and elite.

DaKCMan AP
12-02-2007, 12:29 AM

LMAO You're funny.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bill_trocchi/11/07/conference.rankings/

Pablo
12-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah, but until Dixon got hurt; USC, Oregon, Arizona State were considered talented and elite.Oregon and AZ State weren't impressive to me when they were considered good. Anyone with eyes could see Dixon made Oregon what they were, and as soon as he goes down they spin out of control.

LSU is a solid team all around, as is Florida. McFadden made Arkansas.

The only team in the SEC I think that was severly over-rated this year was Kentucky, and I think they ended up at 8-4 or 7-5.

alanm
12-02-2007, 12:33 AM
LMAO You're funny.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bill_trocchi/11/07/conference.rankings/
I consider SI to be just slightly above Pro Football Weekly as to the ultimate authority on football.

And for comparison, Goatse towers above them. :shake: ROFL

DaKCMan AP
12-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Oregon and AZ State weren't impressive to me when they were considered good. Anyone with eyes could see Dixon made Oregon what they were, and as soon as he goes down they spin out of control.

LSU is a solid team all around, as is Florida. McFadden made Arkansas.

The only team in the SEC I think that was severly over-rated this year was Kentucky, and I think they ended up at 8-4 or 7-5.

Don't forget Georgia. Once you get past the top 3 (LSU, Florida, Georgia) you have an extremely solid middle with Auburn and Tennessee. The conference has 10/12 teams bowl eligible.

DaKCMan AP
12-02-2007, 12:35 AM
I consider SI to be just slightly above Pro Football Weekly as to the ultimate authority on football.

And for comparison, Goatse towers above them. :shake: ROFL

SI didn't rank the conferences. It was a ranking done by 8 national panelists (none from SI). Reading helps.

KCChiefsFan88
12-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Don't forget Georgia. Once you get past the top 3 (LSU, Florida, Georgia) you have an extremely solid middle with Auburn and Tennessee. The conference has 10/12 teams bowl eligible.

Yeah Auburn is so solid... notice how Auburn didn't start becoming "solid" this year until they entered SEC conference play. They sure didn't look solid, BARELY... BARELY getting past a crappy Kansas State team (at home) and they didn't look solid getting dumped by an average South Florida team.

And Tennessee didn't look "solid" getting ass raped by Cal.

alanm
12-02-2007, 12:43 AM
SI didn't rank the conferences. It was a ranking done by 8 national panelists (none from SI). Reading helps.
If the article is in SI it's disqualified. Why provide a SI link?

Bearcat
12-02-2007, 12:44 AM
National Championships in the BCS era...

SEC - 4 (Tennessee, LSU, Auburn (they were undefeated!), Florida)
Big 12 - 2 (Texas, OU)
ACC - 2 (none since 2001... FSU, Miami)
Pac10 - 2 (USC)
Big 10 - 1 (OSU)

IMO, it's not necessarily the number of NCs, but that it's 4 (or 3.. but they were undefeated!) different teams. It's not one dominating team in a conference. It's the deepest conference in the nation, and I think people over-react at the number of losses or that they don't completely dominate every team they play.

Florida has 3 losses, but 2 came against the SEC Champion and a team that's 10-2 and hasn't lost since October 6th, to the only team in the division ahead of them. And they did it with a Sophomore QB. But they have 3 losses, so they must suck :rolleyes:

BWillie
12-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah Auburn is so solid... notice how Auburn didn't start becoming "solid" this year until they entered SEC conference play. They sure didn't look solid, BARELY... BARELY getting past a crappy Kansas State team (at home) and they didn't look solid getting dumped by an average South Florida team.

Exactly. F*ck the SEC. Pac 10 and Big 12 are both better than the SEC this year IMO. SEC better than the Big 10, I'll give them that. But thats about it. SEC got owned this year by the Pac 10 in non conf play.

DaKCMan AP
12-02-2007, 12:45 AM

Georgia didn't look good early either and now they're ranked #4. What's your point? The ACC is garbage (their champ got ass-raped 48-7 by LSU) and the Canes suck. Go back to sucking off DV.

alanm
12-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Now I know those guys are nuts. They have the ACC ranked 2nd. ROFL

KCChiefsFan88
12-02-2007, 12:46 AM

Too bad Florida didn't play a real non-conference schedule this year... they would have been exposed as just another SEC fraud if they did.

LSU, the SEC champions gave up 50 to an Arkansas team that essentially has a 1 play playbook. That is the cream of your conference?

RJ
12-02-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm not an SEC fan or a fan of any of its schools and I do believe that is the conference where I see the most talent, throughout the conference, year after year.

KCChiefsFan88
Georgia didn't look good early either and now they're ranked #4. What's your point? The ACC is garbage (their champ got ass-raped 48-7 by LSU) and the Canes suck. Go back to sucking off DV.

The ACC is garbage no one is denying that.

But the SEC is the third best conference (at best) behind the Big 12 and PAC 10

Bearcat

Or maybe those teams got better as the season went along.

Nah....

KCChiefsFan88
12-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Or maybe those teams got better as the season went along.

Nah....

They got better by getting into conference play and playing in an overrated conference

DaKCMan AP
12-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Exactly. F*ck the SEC. Pac 10 and Big 12 are both better than the SEC this year IMO. SEC better than the Big 10, I'll give them that. But thats about it. SEC got owned this year by the Pac 10 in non conf play.

This coming from a retard who thinks Kansas should play in the NC game because they have 1 loss. LMAO

The SEC has 3 top-10 teams and 5 in the top-25. Pac-10 has 1 top-10 team. Big 12 has 3 currently (although the top-2 SEC teams will be ranked higher than any of the Big XII teams).

DaKCMan AP
12-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Too bad Florida didn't play a real non-conference schedule this year... they would have been exposed as just another SEC fraud if they did.

LSU, the SEC champions gave up 50 to an Arkansas team that essentially has a 1 play playbook. That is the cream of your conference?

They beat the ACC champ 48-7. Game over.

BWillie
12-02-2007, 12:51 AM
This coming from a retard who thinks Kansas should play in the NC game because they have 1 loss. LMAO

The SEC has 3 top-10 teams and 5 in the top-25. Pac-10 has 1 top-10 team. Big 12 has 3 currently (although the top-2 SEC teams will be ranked higher than any of the Big XII teams).

I don't think anybody should play in the national title game. I'm saying KU is deserving as any team in the top 10-11 to go to it. Nobody has any freaking idea who is better than who. None.

Pablo
12-02-2007, 12:52 AM
All I know is that of all the games I watched this year..

LSU vs. Kentucky and LSU vs. Arkansas were the most entertaining. It wasn't all about the OT's either..they were just solidly entertaining, well-played fun games to watch.

I live in Big 12 country, and I personally like watching Big 10 football too, but the SEC has got it going on right now.

DaKCMan AP
12-02-2007, 12:54 AM

We played a tougher OOC than Kansas, but the big XII is better. LMAO Oklahoma really had a tough OOC too. :rolleyes:

Bearcat
12-02-2007, 01:07 AM
I live in Big 12 country, and I personally like watching Big 10 football too, but the SEC has got it going on right now.

I've watched it for years, and I think a lot of the hate is just the normal hatred that is received when a team or conference is so successful it ends up getting shoved down your throat by the media at every possible angle every minute of the day. People not only get tired of hearing about them, nothing they do can possibly live up to media's hype.

Pablo
12-02-2007, 01:10 AM
I've watched it for years, and I think a lot of the hate is just the normal hatred that is received when a team or conference is so successful it ends up getting shoved down your throat by the media at every possible angle every minute of the day. People not only get tired of hearing about them, nothing they do can possibly live up to media's hype.True..kind of like I hate the NFC East because I effing hate hearing about the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles every year.

It's alright though..college ball is moving towards a level of parity and it ought to inspire years and years of entertaining football. Nothing is quite as boring as a bunch of teams fighting their asses off to play a juggernaut that can't and won't lose all season.

Bearcat
12-02-2007, 01:17 AM
They got better by getting into conference play and playing in an overrated conference

Right, because Florida and LSU are no match for South Florida LMAO

Bearcat
12-02-2007, 01:26 AM
True..kind of like I hate the NFC East because I effing hate hearing about the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles every year.

It's alright though..college ball is moving towards a level of parity and it ought to inspire years and years of entertaining football. Nothing is quite as boring as a bunch of teams fighting their asses off to play a juggernaut that can't and won't lose all season.

Exactly... I can't stand ESPN's love affair with the NFC East, but mostly because Dallas never lived up to the hype until this season and the Giants have never lived up to it.

I've been moving closer to college football and further away from the NFL for a few years.... even with the BCS crap, every week of the regular season there's a couple of games like Florida/Tennessee, OU/Texas, Florida/Georgia, etc. In the NFL, it's getting more and more rare to see one game a week that I'm really interested in watching. When you throw in that the NFL has done little things like inserting 700 TV timeouts into every game and putting games on the NFL Network where 4 people can watch the best two teams in the NFC... :banghead:

GarySpFc
12-02-2007, 06:43 AM
I dont get why everyone always says the SEC is the toughest conference. All the teams there are pretty much overrated. I guess the reason why they get so much love is because they are the most popular teams...

Discuss.

Football is just a MUCH bigger deal in the South. Where in any region outside of the SEC are you going to see 50,000 to 60,000 draws at high schools games?

CupidStunt
12-02-2007, 07:44 AM
This thread was over when Garcia posted. The SEC simply has the best collection of athletes. OU, USC and Ohio State can compete, but that's cherry-picking one team from each conference. No conference comes close to matching the talent the SEC has overall.

You did watch the MNC game last year, right? You did watch the fradulent non-SEC teams choking away their chance to EARN other conferences' respect, right? The only possible competition to the SEC is the Pac-10, and that just doesn't have the DEPTH.

Arizona State? LMAO

Get f'ing killed by at least three teams in the SEC.

Mile High Mania
12-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Top to bottom this season, the SEC is better...

chagrin
12-02-2007, 08:07 AM

No doubt, he must not watch SEC football that much, those schedules are brutal; they beat the shit out of each other week in and week out.

cdcox
12-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Arguments for the SEC over the big 12:

More NCAA championships
More players in the NFL
Tougher top to bottom

If you take the top 12 teams in both converences (Acoording to Massey ratings one of the BCS computer rankings) the SEC would have 8 of the 12 teams and the top two after this week:

Missori
Georgia
LSU
Kansas
Florida
Tennssee
Oklahoma
Auburn
Arkansas
Kentucky
Texas
South Carolina

I'm a Missouri fan, live in SEC country, and this argument isn't close.

Silock
12-02-2007, 08:47 AM
The SEC consistently sends the most players to the NFL. They have tons of talent. Yes, they're by far the best conference.

chubychecker
12-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Let's watch how they fair in the bowls in the bowls this year. The past two years the SEC has had a very strong showing during bowl season while the Big 12 and Big 10 have stunk it up. If the Big 12 goes .500 during bowl season I will be shocked.