PDA

View Full Version : Camp Battles

Arrowhead
07-11-2001, 01:10 PM
What are the biggest battles in camp? Obviously the corner spot opposite of Crockett and the Third receiver - although I wouldn't mind to see Minnis fight out Mayes for the second receiver spot. Any other spots? Who do you see in these positions?

Phobia
07-11-2001, 01:19 PM
I think the 2 remaining LB spots will be the largest battles of camp.

Iowanian
07-11-2001, 02:24 PM
I fully expect the closest and toughest battle in TC to be for MLB...Maz vs Patton....The wiley veteran vs the Wildman.....

CB will provide some interesting possibilities...at least among the candidates...I'm kind of hoping Dennis and Bartee come out on top.....Warfield will end up in the nickel i think.

Rb should provide an interesting battle between TR and PH.

Kick and Punt returner and #2-4 reciever postions should also be interesting...I'm hoping a wildcard suprises us here.

DT could be interesting if some of the Rooks come out strong.....I'm kind of cheering for the Big Terd.

ExtremeChief
07-11-2001, 03:24 PM
Another battle to remember will be between Todd Peterson and Lawerence Tynes for the placekicking position. From what I've heard, Tynes has a great leg for kickoffs...hopefully he is adequate at field goals.

I agree that MLB will be a hell of a battle, I'm pulling for Maz, I just want to see him get some playing time and love his wildman attitude.

What about #2 QB??? Brister, Collins, Orenstien???? Battle of talent between unarmed opponents...

Warrior5
07-11-2001, 03:25 PM
MLB: Maz / Patton
#2 TE: Baber / Dunn
#2 WR: Mayes / Minnis
#3 WR: Horne / Klemic / Moses
CB: Bartee / Dennis
OLB: Stills / Atkins
DT: Hobgood / Sands / Ransom
KR: Horne / Moses

The Bad Guy
07-11-2001, 03:48 PM
I think Horne has the kickoff return job locked up.

the battles I expect are: my expected winners are in bold

Strong side starting backer: Cadrez/Bush

Middle: Maz/Patton

Starting receiver (with the loser dropping down to third wideout) Mayes/Minnis

Both corner spots: Bartee/Warfield, Crockett/Dennis

OG: Spears/Waters/Willis

backup TE: Baber/Dunn/Ricks

backup weakside backer: Stills/Oneal

Kicker: Tynes/Peterson

PR: JJ Moses/Blaylock/Hall

Four remaining receiver spots other than DA's, Mayes' and Minnis': Horne/Moses/Klemic/Parker/C. Thomas/Ricky Hall/Dante Hall

backup RB: Blaylock/Moreau/Cloud

Starting defensive tackles: Browning/Williams/Martin/

Bob Dole
07-11-2001, 04:25 PM
Call Bob Dole an idiot (you won't be the first), but Bob Dole still thinks Mike Cloud can be a contributor if he's given significant reps.

Bob Dole is pulling for Maz because the guy has the "fire." Bob Dole is even considering buying a Maz jersey. (Like that's going to help things.)

Dante Hall is an enigma. Bob Dole saw the guy in college and was excited about the possibilities when we drafted him, then saw Dante look like a scared deer in the headlights last season, then saw him work back towards his previous form in NFLE. If the guy's head is in it, he can play... Bob Dole will be interested to see what the coaches think.

Bob Dole has to pull for Blaylock because the kid grew up about 20 miles from here. If Maz doesn't make the starting line-up, Bob Dole may have to get a custon Blaylock jersey...

nickman
07-12-2001, 09:09 AM
Frank I agree with most of your selections.

I think CB will be Crockett and Bartee. I would love to see Warfield start because that mean he may have realized his talent.

DT I think Williams will start over Martin. Does not mean he will play the whole year.

Second TE. I think this will be a situational position. Blocking Dunn receiving Ricks.

Outside linebacker. Don't like either Cadrez or Bush.

Guard. I prefer Spears but cannot venture a guess.

Middle linebacker I hope you are right in that Maz gets the chance.

Cormac
07-12-2001, 10:32 AM
Scoop,

Why do you like Waters? Just wondering. I haven't heard a word about him this offseason......seems like the job is Spears' to lose. Also, as somebody said before, having Shields and Spears as your guards has a nice ring to it!

I agree that Horne will KR. That's why he was brought here. He's assured of that. I think though that Moses might make the squad as PR. If he doesn't win that job, I doubt he'll make the roster at all. I can't wait to see our returners this season. But I remember thinking we had a good crew last year too at this time.....*shudder*

Two players I'm looking forward to seeing are Blaylock (I wonder if he'll be used in the slot as a way to get the ball in his hands) and Moreau (having lost 15lb he could step it up this year behind a better run-blocking O-line).

kcred
07-12-2001, 10:40 AM
One position overlooked is the 3rd QB. Will the loser of #2, Brister or Collins be sent packing, and the rookie given the job, or is it a 3 way battle for #2 and #3. I personally think if Collins can't beat out Brister, say goodbye and at least think towards the future.

The Bad Guy
07-12-2001, 10:41 AM
Cormac,

It's just a hunch I have about Waters.

Vermeil has constantly talked about how athletic and smart he is in some interviews I have heard or read. I think Spears has struggled blocking when he has played, and I just think Waters will beat him out.

I'm looking forward to see Moses and Blaylock. DV keeps refering to Moses as touchdown, and his speed and elusiveness may earn him a spot as a backup WR. But, I agree that Blaylock probably will be our PR.

58Forever
07-12-2001, 12:23 PM
At least the biggest battles won't be between Gunther and players with their shirts untucked...:rolleyes:

WR should be the best battle...I fully expect Minnis to be the second WR to begin the season...

CB...I look for Warfiled to step it up...he too will be the starter to begin the season...

QB...Brister, Collins, Ornstein? Do we care? I agree with kcred, if Collins can't beat out Bubby for #2, it's time to say buh bye...

TE...Ricks will win that battle...otherwise his career might be over and he knows it...

LB...Bush is going to contend but I think Cadrez wins that spot...

MLB...I can't see Patton rolling over and he brings too much experience to not start him assuming he and Maz perform equally...

RB...Holmes will be the starter...Cloud the backup...

FB...Richardson...Moreau...no battle here....

OL..no opinion

KR...Horne

PR...Hall, I have a feeling he's got his head out of his arse this year and he could add something at WR or RB in emergencies....

Is that two cents worth or more?

Tribal Warfare
07-13-2001, 12:32 PM
RB- will Holmes be dethroned? Possibly by mid-season, if Moreau or Blaylock show something

DT -Who will take Chester's spot? the front-runner is John Browning, but I believe he'll rotate with Terdell Sands .

WR- Alexander,Mayes , and Minnis are set. The battle will be Dante andRicky Hall vsKlemic vs Derrick Blaylock

MLB- all out war for this spot between Maz and Marvcus Patton

KR- Horne

PR- Blaylock/ Hall, I think Blaylock will beat him out

Cormac
07-13-2001, 01:21 PM
Scoop,

I hadn't heard a word about Waters. Maybe he will step up. It doesn't seem as though Spears is as good a pass-blocker as run-blocker so they might platoon? I thought Willis did a good job last year filling in. I hope he can find a role too (probably backing up Weigman at C).

CP,

I hope we see Sands, but I'd be surprised if he plays any DT. He sounds like a PS/NFL Europe kind of project to me, but who knows. I know I'd like to see him on STs in the blocking wedge for our returners. He supposedly runs a 5.08 40 :cool: