PDA

View Full Version : OK, who should play Ohio State?

BCD
12-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Who is OSU playing for the National Title?

Poll is on the way...

BCD
12-02-2007, 06:00 AM
I selected VT. They are currently ranked the highest, and won the ACC.
A case could be made for all these schools.

pikesome
12-02-2007, 07:05 AM
No love for Hawaii? If schedule strength is an issue wouldn't that hurt Ohio's claim too?

chagrin
12-02-2007, 07:38 AM
No love for Hawaii? If schedule strength is an issue wouldn't that hurt Ohio's claim too?

EDIT
Not really, USC, Georgia, LSU and Oklahoma has a case though; they really do.

I think LSU should be automatic; their schedule is ranked by everyone in the top 5

boogblaster
12-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Oklahoma or LSU

alanm
12-02-2007, 08:02 AM
I vote Hawaii since their unbeaten. They've got as much a claim to play in the game as anyone.

cdcox
12-02-2007, 08:04 AM
A case could be made for any of those schools except KU.

OU >> MU > KU
KU has not a single impressive victory, nor did they win their division, let alone their conference. Every other team on that list either won their conference or in the case of GA has several impressive victories.

ChiTown
12-02-2007, 08:21 AM
A case could be made for any of those schools except KU.

OU >> MU > KU
KU has not a single impressive victory, nor did they win their division, let alone their conference. Every other team on that list either won their conference or in the case of GA has several impressive victories.

The OU>MU>KU argument is weak. It never has worked that way in College Football when determining who goes where in Bowl Games. KU has a legit argument to be in a BCS game, and so does MU.

Now, the one reason I would not allow KU in the MNC Game is because they were not the Conf. Champion, nor were they even in the Conf. Championship game. I think, at a minimum, you should at least have to when your division as part of the criteria to be in a MNC Game (See NU in 2001 as to why that is a fraudulent concept). jmho

pikesome
12-02-2007, 08:37 AM
EDIT
Not really, USC, Georgia, LSU and Oklahoma has a case though; they really do.

I think LSU should be automatic; their schedule is ranked by everyone in the top 5

I should have typed "shouldn't" instead of "wouldn't". I don't care that everyone seems to think Ohio is so great for some reason, the same complaints Hawaii has against it (and KU, certain extent) sure seem to apply to Ohio.

Frazod
12-02-2007, 09:27 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I'd vote for Oklahoma. As Stoops pointed out repeatedly yesterday, they beat the No. 1 team. Twice. They had one fluke loss (Colorado) and one where they lost the heart of their offense and temporarily crumpled (Texas Tech). I think they'd beat anybody else on that list.

BigVE
12-02-2007, 09:31 AM
LSU or OU

KevB
12-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I say LSU and it's not all that close. Toughest schedule, won the best conference in the country, only two losses were both in triple OT (to teams that were ranked at one point this season), etc. Not to mention LSU blew out Virginia Tech, so I'd automatically put them ahead of the Hokies. USC lost to a dreadful Stanford team, OU lost to a relatively bad CU team, and Georgia didn't even play in it's conference championship game.

HC_Chief
12-02-2007, 09:43 AM
The OU>MU>KU argument is weak. It never has worked that way in College Football when determining who goes where in Bowl Games. KU has a legit argument to be in a BCS game, and so does MU.

Now, the one reason I would not allow KU in the MNC Game is because they were not the Conf. Champion, nor were they even in the Conf. Championship game. I think, at a minimum, you should at least have to when your division as part of the criteria to be in a MNC Game (See NU in 2001 as to why that is a fraudulent concept). jmho

Good post. I think you're correct (unfortunately, as I'm a KU fan); I also think this is how the voters will see it. The NCG will be tOSU* -v- LSU

Coach
12-02-2007, 09:46 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I'd vote for Oklahoma. As Stoops pointed out repeatedly yesterday, they beat the No. 1 team. Twice. They had one fluke loss (Colorado) and one where they lost the heart of their offense and temporarily crumpled (Texas Tech). I think they'd beat anybody else on that list.

Very good points, but OU did lose to Colorado and a late season loss to Texas Tech as well. OU losing to Colorado is like USC losing to Stanford.

I feel that a 2 loss team shouldn't be in the NC picture anyways.

Bugeater
12-02-2007, 09:46 AM
LSU, although that could complicate Nebraska hiring their new coach. Not that anyone here really cares about that though.

Frazod
12-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Very good points, but OU did lose to Colorado and a late season loss to Texas Tech as well. OU losing to Colorado is like USC losing to Stanford.

I feel that a 2 loss team shouldn't be in the NC picture anyways.

But should a one loss team that didn't play anybody get in? Moot point, since it's going to happen, but I'd pick any two loss team in the Top 10 over the Luckeyes.

Bill S Preston
12-02-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm a Pac 10 fan, and partial towards USC, but I picked LSU. Any team that lost to Stanford should not play in the NC game. Georgia shouldn't go if they couldn't win their own conference, and VT would make for a horrible game. LSU has only lost two games, both were in 3 overtimes. All of their stars will be healthy and I have no doubt that they'll crush OSU.

BCD
12-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm glad there are no KU homers voting in this poll...

Ultra Peanut
12-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Ohio State sucks. Send them to the Humanitarian Bowl.

kstater
12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Hawaii

BCD
12-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I have no doubt that they'll crush OSU.Are you sure about that? EVERYONE under the Sun KNEW WVU would waste Pitt...

BCD
12-02-2007, 10:42 AM
The point of this poll was to get an idea of who SHOULD play, NOT who you WANT to play. I should not have added KU to this poll. Or Georgia, either, because I don't think they qualify.

BCD
12-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Whats with all the USC hate? Oh, nevermind, its Mecca's team. Carry on...

Hydrae
12-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Not a big college fan here but if an unbeaten team is not considered before a 2 loss team, the system is more broken than I thought.

Go Hawaii!

BCD
12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Not a big college fan here but if an unbeaten team is not considered before a 2 loss team, the system is more broken than I thought.

Go Hawaii!I didn't add them to this poll because they are not even in the top 10. I'd actually like to see the pollsters bite the bullet and put them at #2.

Bwana
12-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Georgia

SCTrojan
12-02-2007, 11:20 AM
My heart says USC.

My mind knows the two teams with the best argument are LSU and Oklahoma, so I would say either one of those should go.

I think I just threw up a little bit.

KcMizzou
12-02-2007, 12:44 PM
OU

Cochise
12-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd like to see OU, but I think LSU will get it. Those are the only two I would be choosing from.

Frazod
12-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Well, whoever it is, they might as well engrave their name on the trophy, because they'll destroy the Luckeyes.

Coach
12-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Are you sure about that? EVERYONE under the Sun KNEW WVU would waste Pitt...

I didn't. I knew that WVU might have a hard time getting past Pitt, becuase of their riveraly. Pitt also seems to have WVU's number for some reason.

irishjayhawk
12-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Sorry, I have a bigger issue with OSU. If they're in, we should be in.

Does that mean we should be in? Not really. I don't think we deserve it. But neither does OSU.

And I don't like people saying OSU won their conference when they don't have a Championship game.

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Sorry, I have a bigger issue with OSU. If they're in, we should be in.

Does that mean we should be in? Not really. I don't think we deserve it. But neither does OSU.

And I don't like people saying OSU won their conference when they don't have a Championship game.
No they dont but they beat the #2 team in the conference head to head. What do you want them to do play the #2 team twice?

irishjayhawk
12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
No they dont but they beat the #2 team in the conference head to head. What do you want them to do play the #2 team twice?

Yep. Missouri would have had the same scenario as OSU but we play a championship game.

That's why it should be all championship games or none at all.

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Yep. Missouri would have had the same scenario as OSU but we play a championship game.

That's why it should be all championship games or none at all.
I dont like the championship game never have, that said with how it stands right now OSU deserves the shot.

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:11 PM

Actually, if they had a conference championship, the No. 2 team would have been Illinois.

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Actually, if they had a conference championship, the No. 2 team would have been Illinois.
Why were they saying if the Woverines won they won the conference

irishjayhawk
12-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Man, the polls threw out last week, shit on them and then rewrote it.

2 loss teams ahead of Hawaii and Kansas?
Kansas doesn't play but moves down 3 spots. Georgia doens't play and stays the same.

Man, name really, really, comes in to play.

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Why were they saying if the Woverines won they won the conference

At the time, it would have. But with the loss, Illinois moved ahead of Michigan. Moot point, because they don't have a championship game.

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:18 PM
At the time, it would have. But with the loss, Illinois moved ahead of Michigan. Moot point, because they don't have a championship game.
Just wondering who deserves a title shot more than OSU with the way things played out?

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Just wondering who deserves a title shot more than OSU with the way things played out?

Oklahoma, LSU and Virginia Tech, in that order.

irishjayhawk

But see, if KU played MU three weeks ago, and won the rest, they'd have moved up too. That's why I hate it: a loss early is better than a loss late regardless of who you play.

irishjayhawk

I'd switch VT and LSU.

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I'd switch VT and LSU.

OK. I don't feel strongly about it.

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I have always liked OSU along with other college teams so I am pulling for OSU :evil:

irishjayhawk
12-02-2007, 01:24 PM
OK. I don't feel strongly about it.

ROFL, I wasn't berating you. Just saying how I'd modify that. :p

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:26 PM
ROFL, I wasn't berating you. Just saying how I'd modify that. :p

I didn't think you were, dude. I just really don't care. :)

BCD
12-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Man, the polls threw out last week, shit on them and then rewrote it.

2 loss teams ahead of Hawaii and Kansas?
Kansas doesn't play but moves down 3 spots. Georgia doens't play and stays the same.

Man, name really, really, comes in to play.They also did not win their conference. This is a sticking point. NO ONE should be considered for a national title without that.

cdcox
12-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Kansas doesn't play but moves down 3 spots.

The polls are correcting for a weak Big 12 conference. The only reason KU, OU and MU were ranked so highly a few weeks ago was because there had been only 1 game between the top 3 teams in the conference. Now that there have been 3 games, it's clear that MU is a ways behind OU. There is reason to believe KU is worse than MU. KU doesn't have a single signiture win to give anyone a reason to think differently. And if you consider that that OU has two losses, even the cream of the crop doesn't look that good. The whole conference was vastly over-rated two weeks ago. There had to be a correction.

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:28 PM
I have always liked OSU along with other college teams so I am pulling for OSU :evil:

Living in Big 10/11/whatever hell, I've really learned to hate OSU. Overrated, cocky shitbags. I have zero respect for them.

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:28 PM
They also did not win their conference. This is a sticking point. NO ONE should be considered for a national title without that.
Agreed

kcpasco
12-02-2007, 01:29 PM
The polls are correcting for a weak Big 12 conference. The only reason KU, OU and MU were ranked so highly a few weeks ago was because there had been only 1 game between the top 3 teams in the conference. Now that there have been 3 games, it's clear that MU is a ways behind OU. There is reason to believe KU is worse than MU. KU doesn't have a single signiture win to give anyone a reason to think differently. And if you consider that that OU has two losses, even the cream of the crop doesn't look that good. The whole conference was vastly over-rated two weeks ago. There had to be a correction.

So tell me how Ohio St. strength of schedule is so much stronger and no matter how overrated the Big 12 was the Big 11 is much worse.

irishjayhawk
12-02-2007, 01:30 PM
They also did not win their conference. This is a sticking point. NO ONE should be considered for a national title without that.

And my sticking point is that it should be all or nothing on conference championships or none at all.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Living in Big 10/11/whatever hell, I've really learned to hate OSU. Overrated, cocky shitbags. I have zero respect for them.

I lived 20 miles from the Michigan/Ohio border for two years. I'm just glad I didn't bring my shotgun with me.

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:32 PM
ROFL I am going to pull for them anyway! The one thing I have always wondered about is how to get you out of your shell, I mean where you can say how you really feel, you know speak your mind!

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
ROFL I am going to pull for them anyway! The one thing I have always wondered about is how to get you out of your shell, I mean where you can say how you really feel, you know speak your mind!

Well, being a Raiders fan, you should be prepared for what's going to happen to them in the National Championship game. :D

kcpasco
12-02-2007, 01:35 PM
And my sticking point is that it should be all or nothing on conference championships or none at all.

True, Missouri would have won the Big 12 if their was no conference championship game

Yet Ohio St. benefits from not having one

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Well, being a Raiders fan, you should be prepared for what's going to happen to them in the National Championship game. :D
Pretty rich from a dogass Chiefs fan :)

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Pretty rich from a dogass Chiefs fan :)

:)

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:39 PM
:)
Assshole :# :banghead: :# ;)

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Assshole :# :banghead: :# ;)

I love that picture. It's like Raider kryptonite. :evil:

BCD
12-02-2007, 01:41 PM
True, Missouri would have won the Big 12 if their was no conference championship game

Yet Ohio St. benefits from not having oneNo one would be making this argument if MU would've handled their business last night. Championship teams win championship games...

RNR
12-02-2007, 01:42 PM
I love that picture. It's like Raider kryptonite. :evil:
What could not find it last week? :)

kcpasco
12-02-2007, 01:43 PM
No one would be making this argument if MU would've handled their business last night. Championship teams win championship games...

Just like Ohio St won their conference championship game

oh wait

Frazod
12-02-2007, 01:44 PM
What could not find it last week? :)

Ow. nlm

BCD
12-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Just like Ohio St won their conference championship game

oh waitBitch to the NCAA. OSU cannot control that. The only reason other conferences have championship games is for revenue.

RNR
12-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Bitch to the NCAA. OSU cannot control that. The only reason other conferences have championship games is for revenue.
dont let the facts get in the way :)