PDA

View Full Version : What are the minimum expectations for next year?

Count Zarth
12-02-2007, 02:53 PM
This is the "rebuilding" year, right? If the plan is going smoothly, the team should show significant improvement in all areas next season, correct?

If the Chiefs truly have a "plan," shouldn't these things happen next season?

1. The run defense improves
2. The offensive line improves
3. Brodie improves
4. The Chiefs win at least 7 games

Anything else? Is a playoff win a must?

kcpasco
12-02-2007, 02:54 PM
resemble and NFL caliber team again

KCJohnny
12-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Minimum of 300 yards and 20 ppg or else. Must go 6-2 or better at home or forget it.

JBucc
12-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't think we should expect a playoff win but Herm should still be fired.

Pablo
12-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Win ten games and win at least one playoff game.

With an improved line and QB, and a healthy LJ that really shouldn't be an issue.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 02:56 PM
LOL if you think this team is going to be that much better next year get real..this team is awful and has holes everywhere.....

They need a complete overhaul from the top down.

LJ will come back and show us that he's beat down and ground up...great contract that was.

banyon
12-02-2007, 02:57 PM
The corners get a year older. Donnie Edwards, Brian Waters, Wiegmann, Gonzalez, and Kennison either retire or get very close to it. We test another unproven kicker, hopefully not with a draft pick. Pollard relegated to special teams. LJ gets another year of wear and tear on him. We will be worse, not better.

Of course I guess Carl could flip the roster and get some really good talent through the draft and free agency. LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2007, 02:58 PM
I have no expectations as long as Herm is HC and Carl is GM.

Both deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell.

chiefsfan1963
12-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Things won't change until CP and his staff are all gone!!!!!!!!!!!

Mecca
12-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Win ten games and win at least one playoff game.

With an improved line and QB, and a healthy LJ that really shouldn't be an issue.

LJ isn't Adrian Peterson..at least not anymore.

KCJohnny
I have no expectations as long as Herm is HC and Carl is GM.

Both deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell.

Oh. Now we do believe in hell after all, eh?
:hmmm:

chiefsfan1963
Oh I almost forgot IT"S ALL DICK VERMIEL"S FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FREAKIN IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Bowser
Hahahaha!! You said "expectations for next year"!

cdcox
12-02-2007, 03:01 PM
The corners get a year older. Donnie Edwards, Brian Waters, Wiegmann, Gonzalez, and Kennison either retire or get very close to it. We test another unproven kicker, hopefully not with a draft pick. Pollard relegated to special teams. LJ gets another year of wear and tear on him. We will be worse, not better.

Yep. I was saying this in preseason.

DaneMcCloud
12-02-2007, 03:02 PM
LOL if you think this team is going to be that much better next year get real..this team is awful and has holes everywhere.....

They need a complete overhaul from the top down.

LJ will come back and show us that he's beat down and ground up...great contract that was.

LOL you're ass.

Seriously, why do you even bother posting your inane drivel day after day? Nothing else to do?

The "complete overhaul" has already begun.

If you don't think that with the draft position the Chiefs will have in 2008 to go along with a few free-agent acquisitions that this team won't be competitive in the NFL next year, then obviously, you don't pay any attention to any other teams other than the Chiefs.

It happens EVERY year. Look at Cleveland this year alone!

Go braid your hair.

DaneMcCloud
12-02-2007, 03:04 PM

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Well, we'll certainly never forget that you're a dumbass.

Dick Vermeil is directly responsible for this abomination of a football team due to his poor personnel decisions during his 5 year tenure.

FringeNC
12-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, we'll certainly never forget that you're a dumbass.

Dick Vermeil is directly responsible for this abomination of a football team due to his poor personnel decisions during his 5 year tenure.

Who was responsible for the deplorable shape of the football team Dick Vermeil inherited?

Mecca
Teams in complete overhaul don't run out and sign Donnie Edwards then pay TG and the overworked RB....it is half ass rebuilding.

Tell me how a bunch of carries won't affect LJ again go ahead.....to bad I was right about that and now the contract looks even dumber than it already did.

Pablo

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:No, he shares in the blame with CP, Herm, Solari, Curl, Huard, etc. though.

DV did nothing for this organization, and set us up with nothing. It's hard for me to like the guy. He wasted one of the best offenses in recent memory by putting a trash defense on the field each week.

Cochise
12-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Show that the team is headed in the right direction.

But I'm confident that we'll still be making some moves trying to sneak into the playoffs.

Mecca
Who was responsible for the deplorable shape of the football team Dick Vermeil inherited?

Yes let's ignore Carl........Also let's not talk about how retarded Herm is, even with a good team and a good roster we'd still lose due to how dumb he is.

chiefsfan1963
No, he shares in the blame with CP, Herm, Solari, Curl, Huard, etc. though.

DV did nothing for this organization, and set us up with nothing. It's hard for me to like the guy. He wasted one of the best offenses in recent memory by putting a trash defense on the field each week.

you are clueless dude.

Count Zarth
12-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Show that the team is headed in the right direction.

But I'm confident that we'll still be making some moves trying to sneak into the playoffs.

Fearing a total fan revolt, Carl will reach on a bunch of free agents and load the team up to make people think we're going somewhere in 2008. I can see it coming a mile away. We'll be throwing out bonuses willy-nilly.

Pablo
12-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Teams in complete overhaul don't run out and sign Donnie Edwards then pay TG and the overworked RB....it is half ass rebuilding.

Tell me how a bunch of carries won't affect LJ again go ahead.....to bad I was right about that and now the contract looks even dumber than it already did.Tony Gonzalez is far from a liability. I know you take a fairly rational view on things, but signing TG was far from a mistake. He'll at least be productive for the next couple of seasons, maybe not the next 5 years.

LJ. Sure. Donnie Edwards. Sure. I like them both, but it's apparent RB's are a dime a dozen in this league, and Edwards is still a solid LB, but his days are numbered.

alanm
12-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I know we would of had a few more wins this year if the offense could of averaged at least 20 PPG. Outside of Waters they need a complete overhaul on the line. And draft another QB another WR and Back. Hell they could use a upgrade at damn near every position on the team for that matter. Just hope Herm continues to draft well.

DaneMcCloud
you are clueless dude.

So what did Vermeil do for the Chiefs?

Please explain.

Pablo
you are clueless dude.I have a much firmer grasp on reality than you'll ever hope for.

mylittlepony
12-02-2007, 03:09 PM
6 wins (oakland x2) we're playing AFC east next year right? We should beat all those teams apart from the Pats. And Texans, we need to beat the Texans. 6 wins thats it. Also young players play or get moved into rotations more. Big draft should produce more players for next year. 2 new starters next year.

Cochise
12-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Fearing a total fan revolt, Carl will reach on a bunch of free agents and load the team up to make people think we're going somewhere in 2008. I can see it coming a mile away. We'll be throwing out bonuses willy-nilly.

I guarantee that whoever starts at QB for us next year will be 30 years old or more. I guaran-damn-tee it.

Mecca
Problem is I don't think Gonzalez will still be good by the time this team is, it may legit be 5-7 years.

If the Chiefs handled LJ like the Vikings do Peterson it would have been different to sign him.....with all the carries last year they should have never kept him.

Cochise
This poll is not very good though. It's unrealistic to expect Herm, or the diety of your choosing, to turn a team around from here into a playoff-game winner.

Bowser
12-02-2007, 03:11 PM
I guarantee that whoever starts at QB for us next year will be 30 years old or more. I guaran-damn-tee it.

Donovan McNabb. We'll trade our first for him.

UteChief
12-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Well I'm optomistic. Why? Because I prefer that over doom and gloom. I have felt we would be a 4-12 team this year. I believe our drafts have been better and hope that this will continue. I'm not thinking playoffs and to be honest anything else is unsatisfactory.

Will I continue to watch the Chiefs? Yes. Will I go to a game? Hell NO!!! It's not worth it for me to travel and see this team. I'll continue with Sunday Ticket.

banyon
12-02-2007, 03:12 PM

I think my worst nightmare is that it'll be Chad Pennington.

Count Zarth

I think they will start Croyle. I really do.

If they start Pennington or Huard again....Herm should be fired immediately.

Bowser

Arrowhead will be rockin' like it's 1985.

Cochise
12-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Donovan McNabb. We'll trade our first for him.

That would make perfect sense. He's getting old, he's had serious injuries, a team with a goal of winning a Super Bowl decided he wasn't the answer, and he might come at a bargain price. Carl's probably already printed up his jersey.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 03:14 PM

I said that kind of as a half joke a couple months ago....I almost expect it now.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I think they will start Croyle. I really do.

If they start Pennington or Huard again....Herm should be fired immediately.

I would be totally shocked if a guy that couldn't make it through a college year actually got through 16 games.

Bowser
12-02-2007, 03:15 PM
I said that kind of as a half joke a couple months ago....I almost expect it now.

Herm has thrown out a few accolades for Chad in his pressers this year. Wouldn't shock me one bit.

Pablo
Problem is I don't think Gonzalez will still be good by the time this team is, it may legit be 5-7 years.

If the Chiefs handled LJ like the Vikings do Peterson it would have been different to sign him.....with all the carries last year they should have never kept him.Call me an optomist, but I'm guessing by the 2009 season we'll have a team that can truly contend for the AFC West Championship and possibly go deep in the AFC playoffs. That is assuming we sign JA, get at least two more quality DB's via draft/trade, one LB, and a line. Hell..it might be 2010. Tony will still be a solid TE. He hasn't lost it yet, and I really don't think there's some monumental difference between year 10,11,12,13, or 14. The fact he's still a perennial pro-bowler contender in his 10th season speaks to his talent and healthiness.

Count Zarth
I would be totally shocked if a guy that couldn't make it through a college year actually got through 16 games.

You might be right. Are you saying they won't start him, however?

Cochise
12-02-2007, 03:16 PM

I think Carl really believes we need a 'veteran' quarterback that nobody else wants. He wants someone who's a veteran and who will take care of the ball. That's what Carl does. Takes chances on tweeners hoping he can get quality on the cheap.

We've been doing that forever. We always bring in some castoff and hope we can turn water into wine. DeBerg, Kreig, Montana, Bono, Gannon, Grbac, Green, Huard. Montana was fine but clearly not what he once was. With Gannon we threw out the baby and kept the bathwater. Green was good, he was the only one that really turned out like we hoped.

Hell, they could be on the phone with Vinny Testaverde for all we know.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 03:17 PM
You might be right. Are you saying they won't start him, however?

If it's all I got sure, but I see him as more of a backup. You can't have your starting QB be a guy that can't be relied on to play every week.

FAX
12-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Show that the team is headed in the right direction. ...

I totally agree with this, Mr. Cochise. At this point, that's all we can realistically hope for.

1) Prove we are building an oline that can compete (two positions would be sufficient).
2) Prove we have a quarterback who can lead us for the next 10 years.
3) Prove we can replace the old guys on D with effective players (one or two positons would suffice for proof).
4) Prove we aren't going to play JurassicBall on offense.

That would do it for me.

FAX

FAX
12-02-2007, 03:19 PM
I think Carl really believes we need a 'veteran' quarterback that nobody else wants. He wants someone who's a veteran and who will take care of the ball. That's what Carl does. Takes chances on tweeners hoping he can get quality on the cheap.

We've been doing that forever. We always bring in some castoff and hope we can turn water into wine. DeBerg, Kreig, Montana, Bono, Gannon, Grbac, Green, Huard. Montana was fine but clearly not what he once was. With Gannon we threw out the baby and kept the bathwater. Green was good, he was the only one that really turned out like we hoped.

Hell, they could be on the phone with Vinny Testaverde for all we know.

If we bring in a "veteran" quarterback next year, I'll burn my official Chiefs boxers and start buying Titans tickets.

FAX

Pablo
12-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey guys..we might get Rex Grossman!!!

Woo-hoo...that's not totally impossible right?

There you go.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey guys..we might get Rex Grossman!!!

Woo-hoo...that's not totally impossible right?

There you go.

He isn't old enough....

FAX
12-02-2007, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=GonzoRox88]Call me an optomist, but I'm guessing by the 2009 season we'll have a team that can truly contend for the AFC West Championship and possibly go deep in the AFC playoffs. ... QUOTE]

I hope you're right, Mr. GonzoRox88. But I don't think so. No way. No how.

We have too many holes and too many key positions currently filled by aging players. We're looking at 5 years ... maybe 4, but most likely 5 before we are truly competitive again.

FAX

Zouk
12-02-2007, 03:21 PM
3. Brodie improves

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

I'd add:

5. Fire Mike Priefer, get a kicker, and draft a returner with speed who can give the offense better field position and score occasionally

All must occur. The only way I see Herm returning as coach in 2009 if they win less than 7 next year is if they have a massive rash of injuries. Things like 2 quarterbacks getting hurt for the whole year.

On the run D - Gunther needs to stop selling out on 3rd and inches. Sometimes it's better to give up 3 yards and live to fight another day - particularly when Rivers was playing as bad as he was. Gunther still needs more super-ego and less id.

I expect the Chiefs to be a serious threat in the playoffs next year. And for that to happen, the D must lead the way.

Cochise
12-02-2007, 03:22 PM
If we bring in a "veteran" quarterback next year, I'll burn my official Chiefs boxers and start buying Titans tickets.

FAX

All these years, they've never even drafted a QB high. They took them in the middle rounds, but they won't take a risk on one until they are proven commodities. Again, trying to get quality on the cheap.

Unfortunately for them if a QB is proven he's not going to become a free agent, and not at a price Carl is willing to pay.

Bet on trends to continue, not reverse. We'll bring in some veteran who gives us the best chance to win blah blah blah.

Whoever starts opening day next year will be middle aged, if Carl is still nestled in his roost, bank on it.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Zouk is here to preach the gospel of Herm.

Pablo
12-02-2007, 03:25 PM
He isn't old enough....True. I don't want him anyhow. I really don't see anyone starting but Brodie next year.

banyon
12-02-2007, 03:26 PM
All these years, they've never even drafted a QB high. They took them in the middle rounds, but they won't take a risk on one until they are proven commodities. Again, trying to get quality on the cheap.

Unfortunately for them if a QB is proven he's not going to become a free agent, and not at a price Carl is willing to pay.

Bet on trends to continue, not reverse. We'll bring in some veteran who gives us the best chance to win blah blah blah.

Whoever starts opening day next year will be middle aged, if Carl is still nestled in his roost, bank on it.

I think I'm tempted to belive your prediction of Days of Future Past ahead of GOATSE's "they'll start Croyle" prediction. I wonder why that is? :hmmm:

FAX
12-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Man. I really hope that's not the case, Mr. Cochise. Words cannot express the amount of suck such a move would represent.

I'm still in the Croyle camp. I do not believe for a minute that he's as "fragile" as the media and some posters would like us to believe. I've seen him take shots that would send Downfield home for milk and cookies.

But, if he's not the answer, we need to find a young quarterback who can represent the future of the offense. The worst thing that Carl could do from both a football or PR perspective is bring in a "veteran" guy.

FAX

Demonpenz
12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
if get mcnabb i will buy season tickets. he would solidfy our qb position

kcpasco
12-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Behind our O Line, he might last 1 game

FringeNC
12-02-2007, 03:47 PM

We won't get McNabb. It wouldn't generate fan interest. We're a lot more than a QB away....

scott free
12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
2 playoff wins, with Brodie Croyle at the helm.

Bowser
12-02-2007, 03:50 PM
We won't get McNabb. It wouldn't generate fan interest. We're a lot more than a QB away....

You know that, I know that, but does Carl know that?

wazu
12-02-2007, 03:51 PM
My minimum expectation is 4 television blackouts.

Lonewolf Ed
12-02-2007, 04:01 PM

That is one of the most likely things to happen compared to the rest of the posts in this thread. :banghead:

FringeNC
12-02-2007, 04:10 PM

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what the season ticket renewal rate is. Based on the way the stadium looked today, and the lack of hope of things improving under Herm, renewal rate may take a HUGE hit.

Tits McGee
12-02-2007, 05:18 PM
A new GM, coach and offensive coordinator. Would be a nice start.

CupidStunt
12-02-2007, 05:34 PM
There's no rebuilding. The Chiefs have no QB, no OL, 1 WR, questionable RBs, an awful run defense, no DBs, 1 LB, horrible special teams.

Just an awful, awful team. We've hit rock bottom.

King_Chief_Fan
12-02-2007, 05:39 PM
It is going to take lots of players on D and O to improve the team. Anyone of us could coach the team. Herm isn't necessary. He said it was up to the players to execute. He doesn't think coaching loses games:hmmm:

King_Chief_Fan
12-02-2007, 05:42 PM
QB isn't the issue....protection and WR's getting open are. I like Croyle and Thigpen. They have pretty good promise. McNabb will cost a lot of jack and won't improve our W-L.

scott free
12-02-2007, 05:44 PM
There's no rebuilding. The Chiefs have no QB, no OL, 1 WR, questionable RBs, an awful run defense, no DBs, 1 LB, horrible special teams.

Gaaah, this was yet another brutal loss...but i CANT believe how you have swerved into Meccaville.

I'll agree with some of the above...but no QB???, shaky RB's???, 1 decent LB???

Go ahead & call me stupid...but a good offseason of acquisitions & a new OC can put us back into the playoffs atleast.

chiefsfan1963
12-02-2007, 05:48 PM
I have a much firmer grasp on reality than you'll ever hope for.

hope you're enjoying the season.

chiefsfan1963
12-02-2007, 05:50 PM
So what did Vermeil do for the Chiefs?

Please explain.

One of the finest O this franchise has ever seen. One of the finest O this league has ever witness given the talent he had.

Alot more than this current coaching franchise has done and ever will do.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Gaaah, this was yet another brutal loss...but i CANT believe how you have swerved into Meccaville.

Go ahead & call me stupid...but a good offseason of acquisitions & a new OC can put us back into the playoffs atleast.

I can explain those stances real fast......

No QB.....you can't rely on a player to be your starting QB when he is made of glass like Croyle, I'm not sure he will ever be able to play 16 games.

Shaky RB's-LJ is declining and Kolby Smith should be a 2 or a 3 that spells not a feature..

1LB-Nap Harris sucks and Edwards is old

Did that help?

CupidStunt
12-02-2007, 06:00 PM

I'll never be Mecca. Until I see otherwise, he WANTS to lose. That's the impression one can reasonably draw from him. I do want success and I always root for positives, but my opinions are based in reality.

QB- Horrid and Croyle, a guy with some talent but a load of question marks. At this point, no QB.

RB- LJ looked like garbage before injury and Smith is a kid who has run well for a couple of games. Question marks, to be sure.

LB- DJ is a stud. Better than Mecca wants to believe. But Edwards has sucked since week 5 or so and Harris the same. Awful in run support.

scott free
12-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I can explain those stances real fast......

No QB.....you can't rely on a player to be your starting QB when he is made of glass like Croyle, I'm not sure he will ever be able to play 16 games.

Shaky RB's-LJ is declining and Kolby Smith should be a 2 or a 3 that spells not a feature..

1LB-Nap Harris sucks and Edwards is old

Did that help?

Oh yes, it really helped.

They should just sell this team & move'em to LA.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't think DJ sucks.....I don't think the coaches use him properly at times and that hurts.

We pretty much need a new secondary too.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Oh yes, it really helped.

They should just sell this team & move'em to LA.

I'm just being honest about where the franchise is at....this is probably as low as I can personally remember.

Count Zarth
12-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I gave you a lot of shit, Mecca...but you were right. Damn, were you right.

scott free
12-02-2007, 06:05 PM
LB- DJ is a stud. Better than Mecca wants to believe. But Edwards has sucked since week 5 or so and Harris the same. Awful in run support.

I dont know what Donnie Edwards you have been watching, did you see the play today where he cut through 2 blockers & knocked LT on his azz??

Mecca
12-02-2007, 06:08 PM
I gave you a lot of shit, Mecca...but you were right. Damn, were you right.

Some of the stuff was easy just people were being overly optimistic like most do to start a year.....

The Chiefs can at least be competitive in the everyone sucks days of the NFL if they can get some competent Olineman and some upgrades on the front 7.

CupidStunt
12-02-2007, 06:10 PM
I dont know what Donnie Edwards you have been watching, did you see the play today where he cut through 2 blockers & knocked LT on his azz??

A play here and there is nice. We get that outta Ty Law, Surtain, Boone and Pollard, too.

But he sucks at this point. Just like every DL not named Allen and every LB not named DJ. People wanna talk up the defense...and, shit, I did, too...but it's based around two players. The rest range from garbage to mediocre.

See, I really want Sedrick Ellis. Problem is, the Chiefs are so awful, we need Michael Oher, Brian Brohm AND Malcolm Jenkins, too.

Count Zarth
12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Jeez. This is ridiculous. Donnie Edwards doesn't suck. He's contributed way more to the team than Ty freaking Law. It's not like he's out there missing tackles and being out of position all the time. He leads the team in tackles fer crying out loud.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
We need real life to turn into madden where somehow we have 4 1st round picks.

TN_Chief
12-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Minimum: Carman Peterwards gone after this abortion of a season.

FAX
12-02-2007, 07:22 PM

We have a QB. We just can't play him behind this line. Of course, if we did play him behind this line, we wouldn't have a QB. Still, Bowe and Kolby have shown promise and there are several defensive players who should contribute for many years to come. But, I don't think we've hit rock bottom, Mr. lj4mvp. Far from it.

Unless we somehow make massive upgrades to the oline, the Chiefs will likely be no better next year in which case Dick Curl will take over as OC (if Herm doesn't move him into that position after throwing Solari under the bus at season's end). That, my friend, will be rock bottom.

FAX

ThaVirus
12-02-2007, 07:22 PM
We pretty much need a new secondary too.

I like Page, though. He tends to take some bad angles and doesn't wrap up all the time, but that can all be corrected...Should we bench him until he learns and only start him against the Raiders ?

By the way, is Dimitri Patterson still on the team ? I remember him and Brackenridge seemed to be neck and neck during training camp...Has he been getting any playing time ?

Chiefspants
12-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Rofl, 6-10 season at best

dj56dt58
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
13-3 one and done against the Colts at home

RedThat
12-02-2007, 08:21 PM
My feelings towards the Chiefs are somewhat dying. Gosh what a miserable season this is! I only hope that this season can give some hope for the future? Anyways, I just want to comment, I really think that player personnel doesn't matter at this point. So there is no use in stressing out what positions we need to fill imo?

When you see fans not showing up to games now, this a sign. A sign that Chiefs management is slowing losing the credibility of their fan base. Changes need to be made no question. But the most important change that needs to be made is a change in attitude. Does the FO have that intense burning desire, that flaming passion, willingness to not tolerate losing, and turn this ship around to build a strong championship contender?

These are questions we must find out.

DaneMcCloud
12-02-2007, 08:52 PM
One of the finest O this franchise has ever seen. One of the finest O this league has ever witness given the talent he had.

Alot more than this current coaching franchise has done and ever will do.

Explain to me how this offense your describing actually meant anything at all. The Chiefs were 6-10 and 8-8 his first two seasons. Please explain how this is "Alot more than this current coaching franchise has done and ever will do."

I will, however, tell you this:

Bill Parcells left the Cowboys in excellent shape before leaving.

Bill Cowher left the Steelers in excellent shape before leaving.

Tony Dungy left the Bucs in excellent shape after being fired.

Dan Reeves left the Atlanta Falcons in pretty good shape before leaving.

Mike Holmgren left the Green Bay Packers in pretty good shape before leaving.

Even Jim Mora left the Colts in pretty good shape before leaving.

Dick Vermeil left the Chiefs in the shitter

Only a fool would argue my last statement.

KC Tattoo
12-02-2007, 09:09 PM
My expectations next year are going to be much like they were at the start of this year. Play the young guys and improve as the season goes. I wanted Brodie to start sooner like the first game. That didn't happen so I think he is behind the 8 ball and we will have some new younger O lineman and quite afew new faces from the draft that are going to be expected to play. I am exited though about the building process and think it will pay off huge dividends in the 09 2010 seasons.

Wish Brodie could have played today, maybe he could have made a difference (I think he would have). I did see some things today that I was looking for from our HC. Try something new and creative. The JA play on offense and the Eddie pass attemt were creative plays and I like that. We have a long ways to go but that is what it is going to take and I do believe in this team always have and always will.

Now all of a sudden Donnie Edwards is hurt and we missed him badly in the third & fourh quarters, I think we are in a need of another linebacker in next years draft. 2 O-lineman, 2 Cornerbacks, and 1linebacker on first day of the draft if possiable from traiding our late round picks. We will need a WRs too to compliment D Bowe. Next year is going to be much of the same as this year but we should finnesh the year strong & get ready for domminance of the 09 2010 seasons and beyond. :arrow:

bowener
12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
If we draft and pick up some great OL players and play a 4th place schedule all year... we could appear to be a tough team until we play somebody... then the Chiefs will stab my heart again.

EM31
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Explain to me how this offense your describing actually meant anything at all. The Chiefs were 6-10 and 8-8 his first two seasons. Please explain how this is "Alot more than this current coaching franchise has done and ever will do."

Herman Edwards left the Jets in the shitter (times ten).

Herman Edwards inherited a very good young team with the Jets.

Herman Edwards overplayed his veterans and ignored his younger players to the point where the organization had no clue what they had on the bench. Some of that talent got away and flourished elsewhere.

Herman Edwards ignored the offensive line for five years allowing 3 or 4 different quartebacks to nearly get killed. Herman Edwards left an Offensive line where not even a single player was NFL caliber and good for 2-3 more years.

Herman Edwards allowed our starting running back to accumulate a league high number of carries almost every year for five years while steadfastly ignoring the development of a viable plan-B at RB. Then one day we end up without a starter or a backup and this comes as a shock to Herman Edwards. That wasn't the worst of course, the worst was losing two quarterbacks for the season in one quarter of football.

Herman Edwards got his GM to overpay for dubious over-the-hill free agent talent in the secondary Ty Law anyone? Aaron Beasley? Damian Robinson? Pay them all huge dollars even if their best days were half a decade before.

Herman Edwards is is an infamous spender of wealth accumulated by other people and an equally infamous finder of reasons for why it is always someone else's fault.

Pablo
12-02-2007, 09:26 PM
We need CB's.
Play Brack and maybe Surtain, get rid of Law.
Try to work Pollard into OLB position when we can. Mainly play special teams.
Play Sapp more..I know, I know. Do it.
Keep Page where he's at.
Draft another DB in a late round for support.

Play Turk more at DT next season.
Pay JA. Or franchise him. The latter.

Draft an effing stud OL in the first round.
Draft another OL or WR if available in 2nd.
Draft a suitable LB in 3 or 4.
Get a OL from Indy, via FA.
Get another OL from anywhere, via FA.

dirk digler
12-02-2007, 09:26 PM

I think you are forgetting one person and that is Carl Peterson. He is the one that decides who they sign and who makes this team he has the FINAL say.

As far as your question gochiefs playoff win or bust. If it was up to me though he would be gone after this season

DaneMcCloud
12-02-2007, 09:40 PM
I think you are forgetting one person and that is Carl Peterson. He is the one that decides who they sign and who makes this team he has the FINAL say.

As far as your question gochiefs playoff win or bust. If it was up to me though he would be gone after this season

Carl Peterson does have final say but it's well-known that he pretty much allows his head coaches to have quite a bit of influence in the draft.

We're all aware of the 2003 situation with LJ over Tyler Brayton. Dick had a chip on his shoulder over that selection for two seasons.

Dick wanted Sims because of his relationship with John Bunting. The Chiefs traded out of the 2004 first round because Dick wanted more players.

While the final say certainly belongs to Peterson, his coaching staffs certainly have earned more than their fare share of drafting disappointments.

And none moreso than Dick Vermeil.

dirk digler
12-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Carl Peterson does have final say but it's well-known that he pretty much allows his head coaches to have quite a bit of influence in the draft.

We're all aware of the 2003 situation with LJ over Tyler Brayton. Dick had a chip on his shoulder over that selection for two seasons.

Dick wanted Sims because of his relationship with John Bunting. The Chiefs traded out of the 2004 first round because Dick wanted more players.

While the final say certainly belongs to Peterson, his coaching staffs certainly have earned more than their fare share of drafting disappointments.

And none moreso than Dick Vermeil.

No question that is all true but if I was an NFL head coach I would do every thing in my power to win now especially if I knew I was only going to be there for 4-5 years. Why should any NFL coach care about what happens after they are gone?

IMO if you want to blame anyone blame Carl because he let it happen.

DaneMcCloud
12-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Herman Edwards left the Jets in the shitter (times ten).

My, how a year has made a difference in perception. Last year, Mangini was "Mangenius" for taking Herm's squad that had a 4-12 record and coached them to 10-6 and the playoffs. But now that's Herm's team, two drafts later?

I don't think so, buddy.

Herman Edwards inherited a very good young team with the Jets.

And took that team to the playoffs three out of five years. They beat the Colts 41-0 in the playoffs.

Herman Edwards overplayed his veterans and ignored his younger players to the point where the organization had no clue what they had on the bench. Some of that talent got away and flourished elsewhere.

Nonsense. You play the players who help you win. You don't bench Curtis Martin because maybe the guy behind him might be able to play.

Herman Edwards ignored the offensive line for five years allowing 3 or 4 different quartebacks to nearly get killed. Herman Edwards left an Offensive line where not even a single player was NFL caliber and good for 2-3 more years.

So the offensive line woes were Herm's fault in your eyes? If so, wouldn't that make Dick Vermeil just as culpable? You can't have it both ways.

Herman Edwards allowed our starting running back to accumulate a league high number of carries almost every year for five years while steadfastly ignoring the development of a viable plan-B at RB. Then one day we end up without a starter or a backup and this comes as a shock to Herman Edwards. That wasn't the worst of course, the worst was losing two quarterbacks for the season in one quarter of football.

Boo hoo hoo. Herm Edwards ran our HOF running back into the ground. Ever heard of Earl Campbell? George Rogers? Terrell Davis? Jamal Anderson? Jamal Lewis?

Running backs are meant to be run into the ground. Especially HOF running backs. For a New Yorker, you sure seem to be a pussy.

Herman Edwards got his GM to overpay for dubious over-the-hill free agent talent in the secondary Ty Law anyone? Aaron Beasley? Damian Robinson? Pay them all huge dollars even if their best days were half a decade before.

"Got his GM"? So Herm was the real GM and Bradway was his puppet? Last I checked, Ty Law had 10 interceptions for the Jets. You're gonna bitch about that?

Herman Edwards is is an infamous spender of wealth accumulated by other people and an equally infamous finder of reasons for why it is always someone else's fault.

So Herm's a thief? Or a mooch? And passes the buck?

Ever heard of a guy named Dick Vermeil or listened to his press conferences? You should have.

Herm Edwards was the pupil. Dick Vermeil was the MASTER of passing the buck.

DaneMcCloud
12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
No question that is all true but if I was an NFL head coach I would do every thing in my power to win now especially if I knew I was only going to be there for 4-5 years. Why should any NFL coach care about what happens after they are gone?

IMO if you want to blame anyone blame Carl because he let it happen.

Dick Vermeil had a 5 year contract with one of his best friends in the world as his boss. He certainly had no reason to look over his shoulder or be concerned with job security. And yet he left the Chiefs in horrible shape in regards to personnel and future success.

The coaches I listed built a team with the future in mind. They didn't run out and trade for familiar guys or fill their rosters with free agents. They took the time to build their teams correctly through the draft and through coaching.

That is something that Dick Vermeil failed to do. And it's going to haunt the Chiefs for the next few seasons.

DomerNKC
12-02-2007, 10:03 PM
This is the "rebuilding" year, right? If the plan is going smoothly, the team should show significant improvement in all areas next season, correct?

3. Brodie improves

Anything else? Is a playoff win a must?sorry go, #2,3, and 4 have nothing really to do with the defense so Germ doesn't care. He was thinking about hiring someone who knows less about being an offensive coordinator than Solari but couldnt find anyone. Until Clark cleans house, we are stuck with mediocrity...and witty anecdotes.

dirk digler
12-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Dick Vermeil had a 5 year contract with one of his best friends in the world as his boss. He certainly had no reason to look over his shoulder or be concerned with job security. And yet he left the Chiefs in horrible shape in regards to personnel and future success.

The coaches I listed built a team with the future in mind. They didn't run out and trade for familiar guys or fill their rosters with free agents. They took the time to build their teams correctly through the draft and through coaching.

That is something that Dick Vermeil failed to do. And it's going to haunt the Chiefs for the next few seasons.

You are making my point for me Dane. Carl was the boss not DV. Carl stood by and let it happen. Who's fault is that? When DV was in St. Louis he did the same exact thing except the GM stood up to him and forced coaching changes and players on him that he didn't want. As far as I know CP only stood up to DV once and that was when he drafted LJ.

As far as the coaches you listed above with the exception of Dungy all those coaches left great young QB's. Coincidence? maybe, maybe not

DaneMcCloud
12-02-2007, 10:16 PM
You are making my point for me Dane. Carl was the boss not DV. Carl stood by and let it happen. Who's fault is that? When DV was in St. Louis he did the same exact thing except the GM stood up to him and forced coaching changes and players on him that he didn't want. As far as I know CP only stood up to DV once and that was when he drafted LJ.

As far as the coaches you listed above with the exception of Dungy all those coaches left great young QB's. Coincidence? maybe, maybe not

If you're saying that nepotism, for lack of a better word, has left the Chiefs in this horrible position, I'm in full agreement.

As for my list, many of those coaches drafted and developed quarterbacks but they also didn't neglect the rest of the team. It was a combination of sound drafting and sound coaching that put those teams in a position to win and win for some time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2007, 12:25 AM
If you're saying that nepotism, for lack of a better word, has left the Chiefs in this horrible position, I'm in full agreement.

As for my list, many of those coaches drafted and developed quarterbacks but they also didn't neglect the rest of the team. It was a combination of sound drafting and sound coaching that put those teams in a position to win and win for some time.

It's cronyism. Unless Carl is Herm's dad, which would explain a lot....

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2007, 12:40 AM
It's cronyism. Unless Carl is Herm's dad, which would explain a lot....

Well, I don't know that I'd go that far. Herm had more than adequate credentials before being hired by the Chiefs. But by the same token, Gunther and especially DV can be viewed in the same light as Herm, due to Peterson's prior affiliation with both.

Regardless of how this practice is described, it has sucked for Chiefs fans.

EM31
12-03-2007, 06:30 AM
My, how a year has made a difference in perception. Last year, Mangini was "Mangenius" for taking Herm's squad that had a 4-12 record and coached them to 10-6 and the playoffs. But now that's Herm's team, two drafts later?

I don't think so, buddy.

And took that team to the playoffs three out of five years. They beat the Colts 41-0 in the playoffs.
Last year the Jets may have had an almost perfect strom of a "gimme" schedule. Even so we were in a load of very close games, winning most of then by the preoverbial c^&* hair. So yes, anyone who can take a team with that much of a cap problem and that lack of talent and still get a 10-6 record with a playoff berth has to be doing something special.

I never personanally used the term "Manginius" but getting a 10-6 record with a totally shit team, I understand how some people went a little over the top.

Nonsense. You play the players who help you win. You don't bench Curtis Martin because maybe the guy behind him might be able to play.
Yes, you play the players who help you win EVEN WHEN THAT MEANS YOU NEED TO SIT A VETERAN. Emphasis mine. This is the part of the equation that seems to escape Herman Edwards (and you apparently).

So the offensive line woes were Herm's fault in your eyes? If so, wouldn't that make Dick Vermeil just as culpable? You can't have it both ways.
I am saying the Herman Edwards did ZERO to improve or even to shore up a deteriorating offensve line during his five years with the team. The biggest single reason we ended up in the toilet was the way he left that unit gutted and a truckload of QB's in the emergency room.

You say Vermiel had the same problem? Oh, OK, that must make it a pardonable offense then in your mind.

Boo hoo hoo. Herm Edwards ran our HOF running back into the ground. Ever heard of Earl Campbell? George Rogers? Terrell Davis? Jamal Anderson? Jamal Lewis?

Running backs are meant to be run into the ground. Especially HOF running backs. For a New Yorker, you sure seem to be a pussy.
Curtis led the league in rushes almost every year. He did lead the league in percentage of running plays Vs. the pecentage given to all other Rb's on the team. He lead the NFL in that category evey year BY A MILE. So by definition "everyone else" who was nit running their sarter so often was not drawing from the well anywhere near as much as we were doing. We had no plan-b for when Curtis eventually wore out. All of those running backs you mentioned were much bigger and physically stronger than Martin to begin with. Even so, several of them had cereers shortened by over use. I guess you are perfectly OK with the way your own current young stud RB has been used then since, well since all RB's are made to me worked to death and all.

"Got his GM"? So Herm was the real GM and Bradway was his puppet? Last I checked, Ty Law had 10 interceptions for the Jets. You're gonna bitch about that?
The GM drafts the players the Head Coach wants. The GM tries to sign the free agents the Head Coach wants. Bradway did that in New York. I guess it is rather convenient to be able to walk away from that notion if the picks do not work out. In New York, for Herm supporters, if the pick worked out, it was Herm developing young talent and if it did not work out then it was Terry Bradway drafting poorly. You will have to decide for yourself if that pattern continues with your own team today.

So Herm's a thief? Or a mooch? And passes the buck?

Ever heard of a guy named Dick Vermeil or listened to his press conferences? You should have.

Herm Edwards was the pupil. Dick Vermeil was the MASTER of passing the buck.
Sounds like Vermiel was no fun either. I am certainly not promoting Vermiel by any means. The bottom line is that the team Herm left in NY was almost completely bereft of talent whereas the one he inherited from Parcells/Groh was chock full of it. Yes Herm got us to the playoffs 3 out of 5 but don't give me any crap about there being no such thing as backing in. We should have been an 11 or 12 win team each of those years. Two of the three times we had our fate in our own hands only to toss it away against inferior team and then get help to get in. One year that help involved winning a thre way tie at 9-7 and Miami having to lose two very impropable games to finish up the campaign. I guess you guys wouldn't know anything about backing into the playoffs under Herm.

Did he give his "no such thing as backing into the playoffs... I've got a ticket to the dance" speech when that happened?

the Talking Can
12-03-2007, 07:04 AM
we aren't going to the playoffs next year, christ people...do you pay any attention?

we need to actually rebuild and develop a QB, something we should have done this year but chose not too....now we have to do it next year...thanks, Herm...thanks Carl...thanks True Fan

but I have no doubt that the same idiots will be back telling us we'll be 11-5...

Dave Lane
12-03-2007, 07:20 AM

3. Brodie improves

Anything else? Is a playoff win a must?

Personally I hope he dies, but I think he just needs to go period. Nothing he could do would make me be willing to keep him.

Dave

chiefsfan1963
12-03-2007, 08:40 AM

You can be selective regarding why DV was not good for this franchise. But it does not take away what he accomplished and what he had to work with.

If you want to be Black and White then we don't need to speak about the subject anymore. But if you want to be open to another perspective then see below:

Year.....Record..Total O.....Total D....HC.....1st Pick in Draft

2001.....6-10........5............23........DV........3rd Rd/75th
2002.....8-8..........4...........32.........DV........1st/6th
2003.....13-3.........2...........29.........DV........1st/27th
2004.....7-9...........1...........31.........DV........2nd/36th
2005.....10-6..........1...........25.........DV..........1st/15th
2006......9-7..........16..........16..........HE.........1st/20th
2007.......4-7..........29..........10.........HE..........1st/23rd

He was able to take our offense to levels that this franchise will probably never see again. He did it with mostly free agents. As I said before in my last thread he did not get much from the draft but he also did not have have the best opportunity because the picks he had to work with, and the one year he could pick a Top 10 both his top picks were busts!

Overall he had only 5 years to get us to the SB, and he a lot to do with what he inherited. He just couldn't get the D to be a Top 20 D. That was his nemesis and I blame part of this on CP and his inability to help him get over the hump here.

DV was taking this team where it needed to go. They were very exciting to watch and you always looked forward to Sunday! It was too bad CP was his GM and that he came in with the mindset that he had to win in 3 years.

cadmonkey
12-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Can you really have a rebuilding "year"? I would have to assume that in the NFL you need a rebuilding period, for about 3-4 years of getting a bunch of yound talent.

Rausch
12-03-2007, 09:08 AM
I think you need to give a HC three years.

You get three to get it done. If by the end of next year we've won a playoff game and can look into the next year as legit SB contenders I'd sign him on for 1 more year.

No playoff win?

Bye...

Cochise
12-03-2007, 09:11 AM
we aren't going to the playoffs next year, christ people...do you pay any attention?

we need to actually rebuild and develop a QB, something we should have done this year but chose not too....now we have to do it next year...thanks, Herm...thanks Carl...thanks True Fan

but I have no doubt that the same idiots will be back telling us we'll be 11-5...

It would be cool to conduct a poll to measure the number of people who say they're not renewing their tickets versus the number who actually do not.

Carl's hooks are in these lunkers far too deep.

Mecca
12-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Can you really have a rebuilding "year"? I would have to assume that in the NFL you need a rebuilding period, for about 3-4 years of getting a bunch of yound talent.

I think this is at least a 3 year process, anyone thinking playoffs next year is nuts.

Ari ümlaüt
12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
2007 season will be our best season record-wise for 2-3 years.

the Talking Can
12-03-2007, 09:39 AM
This year was NOT a rebuilding year.

That lie needs to be put to rest. You don't rebuild by choosing to play Huard for half the season, and only benching him due to injury. The franchise and Herm said explicitly that they were trying to "win now."

A team that was actually rebuilding would have made their #1 priority the grooming of a QB. End of story.

This was a WASTED year. We know almost nothing about Croyle. We will have to make a decision, potentially, about whether or not to draft a top-10 QB while Croyle is just a big ??. The franchise and Herm are directly, and completely, responsible for this.

This SHOULD HAVE BEEN a rebuilding year. Croyle over Huard, Smith over Priest, Medlock over washed up vet kicker, etc. But it wasn't.

So, we'll have to do it next year. And we can only pray that they don't go out and get a vet QB. If they do this, the franchise is done. Another decade of mediocrity and losing.

Until we have a QB in place we are just floundering.

I trust Herm to evaluate talent...sort of. I don't trust him to build a structure, and system, in which that talent is maximized. And I believe strongly that his conservatism will never take us where we want to go.

He will upgrade the roster in terms of talent. But we will be looking for a new coach in 2 years. Someone who isn't stuck in the 70's. Because if we aren't building a team to compete with Belicheck and Dungy - meaning one that has a good defense AND an agressive, dynamic, offense - then we are still just wasting our time.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2007, 10:49 AM
You can be selective regarding why DV was not good for this franchise. But it does not take away what he accomplished and what he had to work with.

If you want to be Black and White then we don't need to speak about the subject anymore. But if you want to be open to another perspective then see below:

He was able to take our offense to levels that this franchise will probably never see again. He did it with mostly free agents. As I said before in my last thread he did not get much from the draft but he also did not have have the best opportunity because the picks he had to work with, and the one year he could pick a Top 10 both his top picks were busts!

Overall he had only 5 years to get us to the SB, and he a lot to do with what he inherited. He just couldn't get the D to be a Top 20 D. That was his nemesis and I blame part of this on CP and his inability to help him get over the hump here.

DV was taking this team where it needed to go. They were very exciting to watch and you always looked forward to Sunday! It was too bad CP was his GM and that he came in with the mindset that he had to win in 3 years.

Who gives a flying f*ck about offensive numbers? The bottom line was 5 years - no playoff wins - poor personnel decisions. The TEAM went NO WHERE. NO WHERE.

"Only 5 years"? Are you freaking kidding me?

Patriots under Belichick: Second Year - Super Bowl
Eagles & Reid: Third Year - Won NFC East 4 years in a Row including a Super Bowl appearance
John Fox & the Panthers: Year 2 - Super Bowl appearance

And that's just to name a few quick turnarounds. All those coaches took over losing franchises and quickly reversed their team's fortunes for years. Where's Vermeil's success? Oh, That's right.

THERE ISN'T ANY.

Rausch
12-03-2007, 10:53 AM
I think this is at least a 3 year process, anyone thinking playoffs next year is nuts.

Next year IS year three...

BIG_DADDY
12-03-2007, 10:57 AM
If Herm is still here my expectation is that the Chiefs will show up at game time. That's about all.

Zouk
12-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Next year IS year three...

I'm the uber-Herm defender but I agree with you. The clock starts from when Herm took over. But I would say he should get 4 years to build a Super Bowl contender, not 3 - based solely on the extreme lack of young talent he inherited.

I think he needs to win 8 or more games next year to keep his job (barring a rash of crippling injuries), but I don't think a playoff win is a must. We need to see that the team can realistically compete for a Super Bowl in 2009. Then you could say that the rebuilding was a success.

MOhillbilly
12-03-2007, 11:02 AM
big improvement by the young guys on both sides of the ball.

Chiefnj2
12-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm thinking Herm throws the OC and ST coach under the bus. Expectations with two new systems should be pretty low, somewhere around 8-8 with the team looking better in the second half of the season.

Dave Lane
12-03-2007, 11:30 AM
If Herm is still here my expectation is that the Chiefs will show up at game time. That's about all.

ROFL

Damn at last we agree!

Dave

ChiefsFan4Life
12-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't think we should expect a playoff win but Herm should still be fired.

I'll second that

RedThat
12-03-2007, 11:42 AM
I think you need to give a HC three years.

You get three to get it done. If by the end of next year we've won a playoff game and can look into the next year as legit SB contenders I'd sign him on for 1 more year.

No playoff win?

Bye...

But then from what I see, If the coach has your team heading backwards instead forward?

I mean the chiefs could easily drop off from 9-7 to 4-12...Big big drop off from one year to the next. Judging from watching this team this year a lot of there problems are mental errors, the Chiefs just make a lot of mental mistakes I think that is linked to coaching. There is talent on this team I think.

would it be worth it to give him another year?

DomerNKC
12-03-2007, 06:43 PM
dont even let him finish year two...FIRE HERM NOW!!!!!! Or should we wait until he drags us to 0-16?

el borracho
12-05-2007, 10:12 AM
My expectations for next year are that we clean house on the roster (we need to jettison almost 1/3 of the players). We also need to play our young QB to see if he's any good or if we need to draft a QB early in 2009. Wins and losses? If we are cleaning the roster the way we should then I would expect another losing season. I will be shocked if we make the playoffs next year.

xbarretx
12-05-2007, 10:16 AM
My expectations for next year are that we clean house on the roster (we need to jettison almost 1/3 of the players). We also need to play our young QB to see if he's any good or if we need to draft a QB early in 2009. Wins and losses? If we are cleaning the roster the way we should then I would expect another losing season. I will be shocked if we make the playoffs next year.

sorry Borracho... gotta piggy back on that one.

RedThat
12-05-2007, 10:32 AM
If the Chiefs go 4-12, I'm curious to know if there will be any type of moves made, and if there is, what type of moves they'll make?