PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a male toddler a little tykes kitchen?

wutamess
12-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Heard something funny about that over the weekend.
Was telling a male coworker about it and they said they bought their nephew one for Xmas last year.

Am I the only one that think it's ghey?
NTTAWWT.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 09:47 AM
its only teh ghey if you fail to recognize that most successful chefs are male.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 09:47 AM
that said... id' take giada delaurentiis any day over mario batali.

luv
12-03-2007, 09:48 AM
chefs make good money. Most I've seen are straight. Start 'em early!

alpha_omega
12-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Not the ghey.

We are buying little man one for Xmas. Here is the deal...the kid absolutely loves to help mommy cook, he currently sits on the floor while she cooks with his own pots and pans....so we figured he needed his own kitchen.

Now if you would have said little tykes makeup studio...that would be the ghey.

Pitt Gorilla
12-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't know. I do a lot of cooking around the house; my chili, soups, steaks, chops, pork shoulder, and stew are better than my wife's.

penguinz
12-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Was telling a male coworker about it and they said they bought their nephew one for Xmas last year.

NTTAWWT.Thinking this and typing it 'ghey' makes you the gay one. ;)

RJ
12-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Chicks dig guys who can cook.

el borracho
12-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Probably not. I'm not completely against the idea but it wouldn't occur to me as a gender-appropriate gift and I would probably be at least a little reluctant. I'll estimate a less than 5% chance that I would buy that gift for a boy.

Pushead2
12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
fag alert.

luv
I think the way they're marketed makes people think that cooking is still just for women. They make the thing pink and always show girls using it on commercials. Just like they always show little boys playing on the workshop one.

Saulbadguy
So, the sentiment of this thread is that a little tykes kitchen will teach the toddler to cook?

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 09:54 AM
So, the sentiment of this thread is that a little tykes kitchen will teach the toddler to cook?
as much as it would teach the toddler to bite pillows.

HypnotizedMonkey
12-03-2007, 09:56 AM
guys who can cook live longer

MichaelH
I have no problem with a young boy learning to cook. I learned at an early age to cook from both mom and dad. My Dad was a good cook. I try to teach my boys the same thing. If they like it and will use it, there's no problem in my opinion.

wutamess
Call me what you want... That's just funny as hell to me.

RJ
12-03-2007, 09:57 AM

Good answer.

pikesome

There's wisdom here Grasshopper.

Simplex3
We had one because my daughter asked for it, and my son has played with it some. It's funny, we give them every opportunity to pick toys that aren't gender-traditional and my daughter plays with My Little Pony and coloring and my son picks Matchbox Cars and Thomas the Train. My daughter wants to cuddle on the couch and watch Dirty Jobs or Mythbusters and my son wants to be pinned to the floor and tickled.

:shrug:

wutamess
12-03-2007, 09:58 AM
It's a freaking play toy not a recipe book.
It aint going to teach him to cook.

It's the same as buying a little girl a little tykes lawn mower.

MichaelH
12-03-2007, 09:59 AM
It's a freaking play toy not a recipe book.
It aint going to teach him to cook.

It's the same as buying a little girl a little tykes lawn mower.

Yeah, good point. But I still don't see it as a problem.

allen_kcCard
Not all that big of a deal to me. I think that if they learn the "girly" toys are for girls things on their own it is a little better for them then if they are pigeon holed into it before they understand it.

I would probably gently advise them not to take thier polly pocket (not that they have one, just an example) to kindergarden with them, and will probably try to help keep them from being ridiculed by preparing them with knowing that other boys would probably tease them about it. My son is 5 and he liked playing with littlest pet shop, mostly because it wasn't lik anyhing he had already. We had kitchen type stuff for a long time so he has lost interest in that kind of stuff long ago. We gave him littlest pet shop stuff and he played a lot with it at first, but he played with it like a boy...treated them like pets and made them fall from imginary cliffs, rescued by a power ranger, etc.

He understands the idea of girl toys, but still sees some stuff that he says he thing looks cool, but also follows up with "but I know that is a girl toy".

Donger
Would you buy a male toddler a little tykes kitchen?

If he expressed an interest in it, yes.

Skip Towne
12-03-2007, 10:00 AM
I always suspected Phobia was a little swishy.

Baby Lee
12-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I guess we won't know until his first word is Faabb-yoooo-lussss!!!!!

BucEyedPea
12-03-2007, 10:03 AM

NTTAWWT.
BAM! You heard of that millionaire chef, named Emeril, with his own food program?

Or how 'bout Bobby Flay? He owns several restaurants. One is the very succesful Mesa Grill in NYC.

You call that ghey?

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
BAM! You heard of that millionaire chef, named Emeril, with his own food program?

Or how 'bout Bobby Flay? He owns several restaurants. One is the very succesful Mesa Grill in NYC.

You call that ghey?
you muista missed posts 2 and 3. :p

RJ
My daughter like Barbies, Princesses and Power Rangers. She likes to watch football with daddy and wear her Chiefs jersey and she knows all the NFL logos. She likes to play tea party with her mom. She has a play tool set and a play kitchen. She is four, it's all good.

DaKCMan AP
Look at it this way.. if he gets a little tykes kitchen he can tell his toddler girlfriend to get into the kitchen and make him a sandwich!

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Well for that matter... would you buy your male a Barbie doll? There's no difference.

Toys ARE mostly gender specific.
If you want to buy your kid a kitchen set. Do it, it's just funny to me.

Donger
12-03-2007, 10:07 AM
would you buy your male a Barbie doll? There's no difference.

Actually, there's a massive difference.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
No way in He11

Cochise
12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
No.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:09 AM

You call that ghey?

Emeril is off the air now.
Also... it doesn't teach him to be a freaking cook.
It's a freaking toy.

Using that logic that's like saying, a freaking Hot Wheels car is going to teach them how to drive. I can see an easy bake oven or something but a freaking replica kitchen?

Sure-Oz
No way

RJ
Well for that matter... would you buy your male a Barbie doll? There's no difference.

Toys ARE mostly gender specific.
If you want to buy your kid a kitchen set. Do it, it's just funny to me.

I think there is a big difference a kitchen set and a Barbie.

Ultra Peanut
So, the sentiment of this thread is that a little tykes kitchen will teach the toddler to cook?I'M A RACING CAR

alpha_omega
12-03-2007, 10:10 AM

Apples and oranges man!

RJ
12-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Emeril is off the air now.
Also... it doesn't teach him to be a freaking cook.
It's a freaking toy.

Using that logic that's like saying, a freaking Hot Wheels car is going to teach them how to drive. I can see an easy bake oven or something but a freaking replica kitchen?

Agreed it doesn't teach a child to cook. But what does it do that threatens a child's masculinity?

wutamess
I think there is a big difference a kitchen set and a Barbie.

How so? They're both toys.
Something the kid could be interested in.

|Zach|

Seriously? ROFL

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Agreed it doesn't teach a child to cook. But what does it do that threatens a child's masculinity?

FTR: If my kid plays with one. I have no problem with that.
If I bought my daughters one and he played with their toy I'm all for it.

I'm not going to specifically get one for HIM.
Hell to the NO!

luv
12-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Let's see...

Pretending to cook.

Dressing up dolls and talking in girl voices.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2007, 10:14 AM
They make toy BBQ grills. I would teach him how to grill the stuffed cat

luv
12-03-2007, 10:15 AM
FTR: If my kid plays with one. I have no problem with that.
If I bought my daughters one and he played with their toy I'm all for it.

I'm not going to specifically get one for HIM.
Hell to the NO!
So letting him play with one would not be gay, but buying him one is?

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Let's see...

Pretending to cook.

Dressing up dolls and talking in girl voices.

Pretending to cook.
Dressing up dolls w/out the girl voices is the same thing.
It's playing.

Besides... what's wrong with male kids playing with barbies... I'm serious on that one. Someone please educate me.

FTR No I wouldn't buy my son a barbie either.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
So letting him play with one would not be gay, but buying him one is?

Hell yeah. Now you're getting it.

Radar Chief
12-03-2007, 10:17 AM
MiniMe already has one. It serves double duty, has a kitchenette on one side and a workbench with pegboard on the other.
He typically has the hard hat and goggles on playing with the workbench side, but occasionally he plays with the kitchen part.

luv
12-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Pretending to cook.
Dressing up dolls w/out the girl voices is the same thing.
It's playing.

Besides... what's wrong with male kids playing with barbies... I'm serious on that one. Someone please educate me.

FTR No I wouldn't buy my son a barbie either.
You're the one who identified something as gay. I was pointing out how Barbies would support your theory. You asked for the difference. You didn't make your action figures talk? You don't play with dolls without making voices.

|Zach|
12-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Hell yeah. Now you're getting it.
So, this has more to do with you?

Donger
12-03-2007, 10:19 AM
So, this has more to do with you?

You know how I know wutamess is gay?

Cochise
12-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Here's one. I don't think I would buy it for a boy.

Don't they have a toy barbecue grill or something?!

luv
12-03-2007, 10:22 AM

Oh my. It comes with a phone and ironing board too? Now I see your point. Men, or little boys, should not do any of those things.

RJ
12-03-2007, 10:22 AM

I don't get it. Does that mean you would be unhappy if your son were interested in cooking?

I'd be unhappy if I had a son whose favorite activity was dressing up his Barbies and playing tea party. Pretending to fry eggs wouldn't bother me at all. I don't know how else to answer your question.

Saulbadguy
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Boys would enjoy it.

For the most part, a toddler will enjoy just about any toy you buy them. Only adults get caught up in moronic shit like this.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I reck it's okay then to get the young lady a toy gun so she can play army

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't get it. Does that mean you would be unhappy if your son were interested in cooking?

I'd be unhappy if I had a son whose favorite activity was dressing up his Barbies and playing tea party. Pretending to fry eggs wouldn't bother me at all. I don't know how else to answer your question.

We're thinking the same.
Buying my son the picture above is a PERSONAL no no.
So I guess it's just for my convenience as suggested above I guess.

I wouldn't care if my son cooked. I'd support anything he believed in. even if he decided to be gay. Having said that, buying my son the picture above is just wrong.

Saulbadguy
12-03-2007, 10:29 AM
We're thinking the same.
Buying my son the picture above is a PERSONAL no no.
So I guess it's just for my convenience as suggested above I guess.

I wouldn't care if my son cooked. I'd support anything he believed in. even if he decided to be gay. Having said that, buying my son the picture above is just wrong.
It's your choice. They are probably expensive, and not worth the $$$. He won't develop any skills beyond small motor skills, and that can be achieved for much cheaper. Plus when he is tired of it, you'll have to get rid of the thing in a yard sale, kind of a PITA.

It won't turn him gay, or teach him how to cook, iron, or answer the phone. The main reason you don't want to buy it it is because of what your peers would think.

Donger
12-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Having said that, buying my son the picture above is just wrong.

I wouldn't, either. Just look at how that yellow cell phone clashes with his trousers. That boy needs to learn how to accessorize.

Cochise
12-03-2007, 10:31 AM
They are probably expensive, and not worth the $$$. He won't develop any skills beyond small motor skills, and that can be achieved for much cheaper. Plus when he is tired of it, you'll have to get rid of the thing in a yard sale, kind of a PITA.

Hell you would probably do better developmentally buying them a Wii or something.

Jilly
12-03-2007, 10:34 AM
yes, I would. I'm so tired of gender barriers and roles.

luv
12-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Hell you would probably do better developmentally buying them a Wii or something.
I think the v-tech and Leap Frog type of things are absolutely great! Everything in moderation. Children start playing video games in order to learn, in order to have fun, in order not to be bored, etc. And they get in the habit of doing that and not going outside to play.

When we were younger, my brother and I spent time playing catch, riding bikes, playing hide and seek, tag, etc. My nieces and nephew spend all of their spare time playing computer games.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:35 AM

great point.

FTR: I don't let my son play with toy guns either.

tooge
12-03-2007, 10:36 AM
It is an effort to continue the pussification of man. "Get your child this toy. Just think, in 20 years, he too can answer phones, iron the clothes, cook, and do the dishes when he gets home from work" Made by Oprah, right? Just kidding actually, I do all the cooking in the house, and my son likes to "help" (read make a mess) too. Nothing wrong with it. It would be nice if it came in less fem colors though.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 10:37 AM
We're thinking the same.
even if he decided to be gay
this statement says a lot about where you're coming from.

fundamental difference of opinon... ibelieve no one "decides" to be gay. so playing wiht a barbie or cooking wouldn't make a differenc.e

nature over nurture, my man.

jmo.

Jilly
12-03-2007, 10:38 AM

NTTAWWT.

Why would teaching a kid about cooking or letting them cook be gay? Are we THAT defined in our gender roles that young boys can't be taught that they can be in the kitchen too? And just so we're clear, "Gay" is NOT a synonym for stupid.

Prometheus
12-03-2007, 10:39 AM
If the kid was gay, I guess I would.

Jilly
12-03-2007, 10:40 AM

this is a totally different issue

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2007, 10:40 AM
It would be a riot for the older brothers & nieghborhood kids

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Why would teaching a kid about cooking or letting them cook be gay? Are we THAT defined in our gender roles that young boys can't be taught that they can be in the kitchen too? And just so we're clear, "Gay" is NOT a synonym for stupid.

I don't think you're getting it.
I don't have a problem with cooking as I have my specialty dishes myself I love making.

On the other hand... there's more resourceful toys I can choose to have my son play with that would teach him to be a man if that's what I wanted to get out of it.

Playing with freaking dishes & and ironing boards is not my idea of a toy for my boy. I learned to cook in the kitchen IN THE KITCHEN.

Simply Red
in a `New York` minute.

crazycoffey
'Tis only ghey if you make him wear a dress while he cooks

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
this statement says a lot about where you're coming from.

fundamental difference of opinon... ibelieve no one "decides" to be gay. so playing wiht a barbie or cooking wouldn't make a differenc.e

nature over nurture, my man.

jmo.

Decided or was born I'd support his decision.

Donger
12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't have a problem with cooking as I have my specialty dishes myself I love making.

On the other hand... there's more resourceful toys I can choose to have my son play with that would teach him to be a man if that's what I wanted to get out of it.

Playing with freaking dishes & and ironing boards is not my idea of a toy for my boy. I learned to cook in the kitchen IN THE KITCHEN.

What makes you think you have to 'teach him to be a man?'

ChiefsFan4Life
12-03-2007, 10:45 AM

But a Wii can be considered another word for a penis so when his kid is holding the remote it could be considered the same as holding a penis, therefore he is not going to get it for him because it might possibly be construed as gay

:rolleyes: @ wutamess

crazycoffey
12-03-2007, 10:45 AM

That's my problem, I must have skipped school that day...

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:46 AM

Stop prying where there's nothing to be found.
I said, IF that was what I was trying to achieve.

I wouldn't depend on a toy to do what I should/could be doing.

morphius
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
It is funny, but that is one the first places all the grandkids go at my mothers house.

Jilly
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM

what does it mean to teach your son to be a man??? That's my question and that's my problem. Sure, should you teach him to cook in the kitchen - YES, definitely? But play, for children, has more to do with imagination and creativity. If it takes a toy kitchen to allow him to delve into that imagination, then why not? It's the whole "teaching him to be a man" thing that scares me..because what are those roles? what are those things you teach? You don't cook or you don't cry? You be macho and play with guns and kill things and shoot things?

OR

if I'm teaching my daughter to be a woman, "I'm sorry but you can't play with those bugs or in that dirt because that's not lady like."

JUST LET KIDS PLAY and use their creativity.

Donger
12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Stop prying where there's nothing to be found.
I said, IF that was what I was trying to achieve.

I wouldn't depend on a toy to do what I should/could be doing.

I stand corrected. I read that wrong.

However, do you think it is one of your parental obligations as a father to teach your son to 'be a man?'

Saulbadguy
12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Kind of a funny thread.

Donger
12-03-2007, 10:49 AM
what does it mean to teach your son to be a man??? That's my question and that's my problem. Sure, should you teach him to cook in the kitchen - YES, definitely? But play, for children, has more to do with imagination and creativity. If it takes a toy kitchen to allow him to delve into that imagination, then why not? It's the whole "teaching him to be a man" thing that scares me..because what are those roles? what are those things you teach? You don't cook or you don't cry? You be macho and play with guns and kill things and shoot things?

OR

if I'm teaching my daughter to be a woman, "I'm sorry but you can't play with those bugs or in that dirt because that's not lady like."

Settle down, woman. Jeez...

Jilly
12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Settle down, woman. Jeez...

ah, I know...women are so emotional!

BIG_DADDY
12-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I think cooking is cool actually. That being said I could think of a bunch things I would get ahead of that. That would be on the things to get your boy if he already has everything list.

jidar
12-03-2007, 10:53 AM
That gift would never even occur to me.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:53 AM
I stand corrected. I read that wrong.

However, do you think it is one of your parental obligations as a father to teach your son to 'be a man?'

Man means more moral than shovenist (as you're probably suggesting).

Teaching him things like PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY etc is part of being a parent... wouldn't you agree?

It's not gender specific I guess. I guess it'd be teaching my daughters to be women.

Maybe I should've said well rounded and responsible.

Having said that... I wouldn't buy ANY of my kids a toy gun.
Wouldn't buy my boy a Barbie or kitchen.
Wouldn't buy my girls a toy lawn mower.

BIG_DADDY
12-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Get him a pit bull instead. My son loves his. :)

Jilly
12-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Teaching him things like PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY etc is part of being a parent... wouldn't you agree?

It's not gender specific I guess. I guess it'd be teaching my daughters to be women.

wouldn't buy him a Barbie or a kitchen?
Wouldn't buy her a lawn mower?

Is this because you're doing your best to debunk the gender roles already placed on those toys? Or is it some other reason?

I'm not setting you up, I'm just curious.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 10:56 AM

OR

You're drawing your own conclusions.
I said he could play with what ever he chooses.
I'm just not going to provide an exclusive bells and whistles kitchen for him.

If he happens to play with one. So be it.
If my daughters happen to play with worms etc. so be it.

By the age of 3 my oldest was baiting her own hook with a worm.
We're not far off in the agreement category.

phisherman
roger's a good dude

he's just KEEPIN' IT REAL

Pitt Gorilla
We have a hand-me-down kitchen that my son never touches. I'm not sure what that means.

Donger

I'm not suggesting anything. However, I don't see that men and women are less or more moral than each other. Yes, we teach our kids personal responsibility.

NewChief
12-03-2007, 10:57 AM
My son has a kitchen, though it's not a Little Tykes one.

Pitt Gorilla
12-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Wouldn't buy my girls a toy lawn mower.What?!? People have kids so that one day they won't have to mow the lawn. I can't imagine letting gender ruin that dream.

Fly O.T. McWall

OR

i would definitely not kiss a woman who ate dirt.

wutamess
wouldn't buy him a Barbie or a kitchen?
Wouldn't buy her a lawn mower?

Is this because you're doing your best to debunk the gender roles already placed on those toys? Or is it some other reason?

I'm not setting you up, I'm just curious.

I don't know really... It just sounds gay.

Like When my son walks around with my other daughters play purses... I tell him to put them down.

Probably my own prejudices or ignorance.
In another thread I explain about how we're more of a traditional family. Difference instead of teaching them to be a housewife or sole provider we're teaching them everything.

Not buying my son a kitchen set is hardly "closing him to the world".

Furthermore, let's be real. There's typically certain roles men & women play in households. I doubt more than 50% of women cut the lawn. I doubt more than 50% of men wash the dishes.

StcChief
12-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Get the Easy Bake oven so he can be a good susie homemaker.

NewChief
12-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I should add that my son probably uses his kitchen more than any other toy he has. Of course, I'm in the kitchen a lot, so it's mainly imitative behavior.

BIG_DADDY
12-03-2007, 11:01 AM

Like When my son walks around with my other daughters play purses... I tell him to put them down.

In another thread I explain about how we're more of a traditional family. Difference instead of teaching them to be a housewife or sole provider we're teaching them everything.

Furthermore, let's be real. There's typically certain roles men & women play in households. I doubt more than 50% of women cut the lawn. I doubt more than 50% of men wash the dishes.

I'll bet more than 50% of the men are the main cook of the house.

Rausch
12-03-2007, 11:01 AM
For a boy = Ghey

For a girl = sexist

No-win sutuation...

RJ
12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
What?!? People have kids so that one day they won't have to mow the lawn. I can't imagine letting gender ruin that dream.

And taking out the trash. If you don't make your kids cut the grass and take out the trash then you shouldn't have had them in the first place.

chasedude
I think if a child has shown a real interest in something, it should be cultivated. Never underestimate the power of a child's imagination.

NewChief
Not the ghey.

We are buying little man one for Xmas. Here is the deal...the kid absolutely loves to help mommy cook, he currently sits on the floor while she cooks with his own pots and pans....so we figured he needed his own kitchen.

That's pretty much what happened with ours as well. He showed an interest in cooking, so we got him a toy to foster that interest. He's getting a workbench with lots of toy power tools this Christmas, though.

Cochise
12-03-2007, 11:04 AM
When we were younger, my brother and I spent time playing catch, riding bikes, playing hide and seek, tag, etc. My nieces and nephew spend all of their spare time playing computer games.

You can't do that anymore. Too many predators out there, too many bike wrecks waiting to happen. Can't let them skin their knees because of the flesh eating bacteria. Can't play ball games because the kids who aren't as good might feel bad. Can't play chase games because the slower ones might feel bad.

Just have to keep them inside playing with their plastic toys with the safely rounded corners, wiped down with sanitizer daily.

Fly O.T. McWall

my wife cuts the lawn. i do the dishes.

mainly because i have terrible allergies so she mows. i do the dishes (dishwaser) because my wife can't figure out how to load the thing to max capacity and not waste space, energy and time.

i alwso cook way more than my share. wife bakes, that's about it.

wutamess
Get the Easy Bake oven so he can be a good susie homemaker.

Thought about that. I'd by him one of those without a problem.
It actually TEACHES him how to cook.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I'll bet more than 50% of the men are the main cook of the house.

Notice I said wash the dishes.

Donger
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM

You don't wash the dishes/load the dishwasher? Ever?

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Thought about that. I'd by him one of those without a problem.
It actually TEACHES him how to cook.
but... if you get him and easy bake, be for3ewarned... you'll have to eat those brownies and thy're ****ing nasty.

BIG_DADDY
12-03-2007, 11:07 AM
That's pretty much what happened with ours as well. He showed an interest in cooking, so we got him a toy to foster that interest. He's getting a workbench with lots of toy power tools this Christmas, though.

And a bee bee gun.

Donger
12-03-2007, 11:07 AM
but... if you get him and easy bake, be for3ewarned... you'll have to eat those brownies and thy're ****ing nasty.

ROFL

My daughter helped my wife make some cookies once, and she let her have a wide berth with respect to the ingredients. I almost vomited.

BIG_DADDY
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM

I did but your initial post was about a kitchen not a dish washer.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
my wife cuts the lawn. i do the dishes.

mainly because i have terrible allergies so she mows. i do the dishes (dishwaser) because my wife can't figure out how to load the thing to max capacity and not waste space, energy and time.

i alwso cook way more than my share. wife bakes, that's about it.

You're probably of the 30 percentile.

Jilly
12-03-2007, 11:09 AM

fair enough...

it's a sensitive subject for me because as much as people want to think that men and women have equality in this world, they simply do not. I believe that roles we play as husbands and wives, should be roles that are not assumed but rather agreed upon.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
You don't wash the dishes/load the dishwasher? Ever?

Rarely.
We're pretty traditional.
I handle the bathrooms, lawn, trash, floors while the kitchen is all hers.

BIG_DADDY
fair enough...

it's a sensitive subject for me because as much as people want to think that men and women have equality in this world, they simply do not. I believe that roles we play as husbands and wives, should be roles that are not assumed but rather agreed upon.

You're single huh?

Fly O.T. McWall
fair enough...

everytime i'm running around the house in my underwear i urge the wife to do the same.

it works. sometimes.

Jilly
12-03-2007, 11:12 AM
You're single huh?

single? No
Idealist? Yes!!!

Donger
12-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Rarely.
We're pretty traditional.
I handle the bathrooms, lawn, trash, floors while the kitchen is all hers.

Sounds like she's got you well-trained.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Like Jilly...
They're agreed upon.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 11:14 AM
boobies can do that.

Donger
12-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Like Jilly...
They're agreed upon.

Yes, that's the key.

In the kitchen, if I cook/grill, she does the dishes. If she cooks, I do them. Although, she usually procrastinates (probably intentionally) to the point that I end up doing them anyway. I can't stand dirty dishes in the sink.

el borracho
12-03-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is all over wutamess in this case. :shrug: Toys are definitely marketed as gender-specific and I'm pretty sure kitchenette belongs to the girly section of the toy shop. He already said he has no problem if his male child plays with one, just that he wouldn't buy one for a male child. Is everyone here so enlightened that they intentionally ignore traditional gender roles?

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 11:25 AM
i think everyone here is simply arguing that the kitchen toy isn't gay. which is what the thread header was about.

Jilly
12-03-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is all over wutamess in this case. :shrug: Toys are definitely marketed as gender-specific and I'm pretty sure kitchenette belongs to the girly section of the toy shop. He already said he has no problem if his male child plays with one, just that he wouldn't buy one for a male child. Is everyone here so enlightened that they intentionally ignore traditional gender roles?

yes, that's the point, we should ignore traditional gender roles. It is not fair to assume that because I am a woman that I should do certain things. And I'm not all over him, I was just wanting clarification and I got it and I appreciate wutamess's view

FAX
12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Many of the world's greatest chefs are men.

FAX

crazycoffey
12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
....do you think it is one of your parental obligations as a father to teach your son to 'be a man?'

oh, hell yeah!

"come on son, rub some dirt in it, that'll stop the bleeding"

"walk it off"

"real men don't eat quiche."

"yes, son, those are boobies, we like them very very much"

RJ
12-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Actually, the kitchen sets at Toys R Us are in a section that includes toy vacuums, toy brooms and mops and some "occupational" type toys like McDonalds stuff......weird, but it's a set with little drink cups and plastic burgers, french fries, etc.

I tried one of the plastic burgers, tasted just like the real thing!

Demonpenz
12-03-2007, 11:31 AM
You should get him something totally straight like a harly davidson bike and matching leather jacket chains earing and chaps

luv
12-03-2007, 11:31 AM
oh, hell yeah!

"walk it off"

Walking it off doesn't make you a man. Some women tolerate pain much better than men.

Liking bobies doesn't make you a man. either.

However, rubbing dirt in a wound only causes infection!
And what's wrong with quiche?

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Many of the world's greatest chefs are men.

FAX
reporst times 2. thanks mr fax.

bizzar54
12-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes, that's the key.

In the kitchen, if I cook/grill, she does the dishes. If she cooks, I do them. Although, she usually procrastinates (probably intentionally) to the point that I end up doing them anyway. I can't stand dirty dishes in the sink.

My wife pulls the same crap. Says she will get to it then two or three days later I usually wash them up either because I cant stand it or need the clean pots and pans to make dinner again. Its a vicious cycle.

On the subject, we have one that our 16 month old girl loves and I wont have a problem if/when my son (arriving in March) starts playing with it. There are a lot of things for them to interact with. However I will agree it isnt exactly a gift I would think to purchase for the little guy but since we have one it wont bother me in the least if he plays with it.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 11:35 AM
oh, hell yeah!

"walk it off"

:thumb:

Donger
12-03-2007, 11:36 AM
My wife pulls the same crap. Says she will get to it then two or three days later I usually wash them up either because I cant stand it or need the clean pots and pans to make dinner again. Its a vicious cycle.

On the subject, we have one that our 16 month old girl loves and I wont have a problem if/when my son (arriving in March) starts playing with it. There are a lot of things for them to interact with. However I will agree it isnt exactly a gift I would think to purchase for the little guy but since we have one it wont bother me in the least if he plays with it.

Two or three days?! I'd rather be strapped naked to bed with chiefs4me than have dirty dishes in the sink for more than an hour.

Donger
12-03-2007, 11:37 AM
:thumb:

CrazyCoffey was being facetious.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2007, 11:38 AM
FTR I live in a rural area & hunting is a way of life for young boys. So I have no problem with toy guns. Urban areas I could so that as MAYBE different

Jilly
12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Two or three days?! I'd rather be strapped naked to bed with chiefs4me than have dirty dishes in the sink for more than an hour.

the worst thing is when dishes are set IN the sink to soak and they get that nasty crappy water in them...and then you go in to actually use the sink or wash something else and you have to stick your hand in that nasty water to move the dish to be able to use the sink...

:Lin:

NewChief
12-03-2007, 11:42 AM

That's about what I was thinking. Sure, when I was in college maybe, but my standards have gotten a bit stricter since then. I can't really sleep at night if there are dishes in the sink.

bizzar54
12-03-2007, 11:42 AM

I lived in a house with 4 other guys in college and I always cleaned up after these lazy bastards. Even after I was the one who cooked. One guy always left his crap in the sink and so I decided I was going to just count the days it took until he cleaned....19 days later I am washing the pizza pan because I need it and I am scrubbing the rust stain that it left in the sink.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 11:46 AM

I know.

But seriously,
who's going to teach my son:

Jilly
12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
I know.

But seriously,

the boobies will speak for themselves.. I'm sure he won't need much help! Unless you've turned him Gay with all that cooking in the kitchen!!!

Donger
12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
I know.

But seriously,

If he's not homosexual, he'll figure that out for himself.

FAX
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
reporst times 2. thanks mr fax.

ROFL

So, this wasn't an original thought?

FAX

Donger
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
That's about what I was thinking. Sure, when I was in college maybe, but my standards have gotten a bit stricter since then. I can't really sleep at night if there are dishes in the sink.

I've gotten up before because my wife has gone downstairs to get a glass of milk and left the f*cking glass in the sink.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
the boobies will speak for themselves.. I'm sure he won't need much help! Unless you've turned him Gay with all that cooking in the kitchen!!!
you'rs talk? i gotta meet you.

Fly O.T. McWall
ROFL

So, this wasn't an original thought?

FAX
alas, no.

wutamess
If he's not homosexual, he'll figure that out for himself.

Calm down shrink rangers.
That was another joke.

phisherman
12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
I've gotten up before because my wife has gone downstairs to get a glass of milk and left the f*cking glass in the sink.

you sir, have issues.

Donger
12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
you sir, have issues.

I know, but she's got a great rack, so I put up with it.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 12:07 PM
I know, but she's got a great rack, so I put up with it.

Looks like someone's taught you to like boobies. :thumb:

Donger
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Looks like someone's taught you to like boobies. :thumb:

I was half-watching the recent Dallas game, when I looked over at my boy. His eyes were glued to the screen, which is rare for him. I looked at the TV and the Cowboys' cheerleaders were on. I called out his name, and the look on his face was priceless.

Bowser
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
GET YOUR BITCH ASS IN THE KITCHEN AND MAKE ME A PIE!!

dtebbe
12-03-2007, 12:15 PM
My son (8) has been asking for one for about 3 years now. I just decided to skip the toys and have him start helping me in the kitchen. He does pretty good considering the wife won't let him near the stove.

I learned to cook mostly by not being supervised as a kid. I think I was in 2nd grade when I decided one morning I wanted pancakes. We didn't have any pancake mix, so I got out my moms Betty Crocker cookbook and went to work. Other than getting the quantity of the sugar and salt mixed up... the pancakes were good. From there on I just kept cooking. I was a line chef at the nicest place in our little town by the 8th grade. Learned a lot about life working in the kitchen at that young age. Mostly I learned that every waitress really wants to be doing something else, and that many of them are horny and undersexed..... it was an eye-opening exp. for sure.

DT

Skip Towne
12-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Walking it off doesn't make you a man. Some women tolerate pain much better than men.

Liking bobies doesn't make you a man. either.

However, rubbing dirt in a wound only causes infection!
And what's wrong with quiche?
Quickies? Who doesn't like quickies?

dtebbe
12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
GET YOUR BITCH ASS IN THE KITCHEN AND MAKE ME A PIE!!

SCZWAT DIDST YOU SAY ZU LITLWE TWERP /braces
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Atrium/4832/south/shelley.gif

crazycoffey
12-03-2007, 12:31 PM

I said nothing inappropriate :harumph:

but if I did;
don't hate me
because I'm facetious-ful

crazycoffey
12-03-2007, 12:34 PM
I know.

But seriously,

F*** the teaching him about liking boobies, I want him to bring some home that will show 'em off to me!

I'm going to be such a dirty old man.....

ClevelandBronco
12-03-2007, 01:01 PM

Exactly.

I don't know why, but males outnumber females when it comes to most acclaimed artists.

Cooking is an art and the best chefs are recognized as artists.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Exactly.

I don't know why, but males outnumber females when it comes to most acclaimed artists.

Cooking is an art and the best chefs are recognized as artists.

I think you all are equating a little tykes kitchen to chef.

Might as well equate...
football to NFL.
lawn mower to landscape artist.
Barbie to fashion designer.
toy guns to murderer/cowboy.

We're talking about a freaking toy, not your son/daughters future.

vailpass
12-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Let's ask the expert, DenverChief.

Hey DC what do you think: can a kid catch teh ghey from a toy?

ClevelandBronco
12-03-2007, 01:25 PM
I think you all are acquainting a little tykes kitchen to chef.

Might as well acquaint...
football to NFL.
lawn mower to landscape artist.
Barbie to fashion designer.
toy guns to murderer/cowboy.

We're talking about a freaking toy, not your son/daughters future.

If it's just "a freaking toy," as you say, buy it for him, you cheap ****.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Let's ask the expert, DenverChief.

Hey DC what do you think: can a kid catch teh ghey from a toy?

ROFL

NewChief
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
My son is learning right, at least. He was just playing in his kitchen and told my wife it was dirty and she needed to come clean it for him. ROFL

Bwana
12-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Tell him to make sure to get a Barbie to go with it as well if he goes that route.

AZORChiefFan
12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Didn't read all the posts but what if it were a toy BBQ Grill or smoker?

You know something manly?

BucEyedPea
12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Exactly.

Yes, but we bring them into the world...and usually rear them still.

AZORChiefFan
12-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Huh huh you said 'rear'/butthead

stumppy
12-03-2007, 04:37 PM
NO !!!

ClevelandBronco
12-03-2007, 04:40 PM

No doubt. Look at the women who provided the day-to-day support behind many artists and you'll understand why those selfish pricks were able to focus so intensely on their art.

Bump
12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
ya I wanna get my nephew something cool, but he's only 18 months so I'll have to wait a few more years before I can really spoil him!

crazycoffey
12-03-2007, 04:50 PM

you may not have brought me into this world, but I'll let you take care of me while I shelfishly work on my art, hell I may even let you rear me.....

Jilly
12-03-2007, 04:51 PM
you may not have brought me into this world, but I'll let you take care of me while I shelfishly work on my art, hell I may even let you rear me.....

Hey oh!!!

Dayze
12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Chicks dig guys who can cook.
...you make good point.

Bump
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
when I was a kid I never wanted a play kitchen, ninja turtles was all I wanted!!

Rain Man
12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Maybe the uncle recognizes that the kid's future is in fast food, and he just doesn't want to tell the parents.

Bump
12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Maybe the uncle recognizes that the kid's future is in fast food, and he just doesn't want to tell the parents.

maybe opening up a chain of McDowell's. They have the Big Mac, we have the Big Mic...they use seeded buns, see our buns have no seeds. :)

memyselfI
12-03-2007, 08:47 PM
No, it's not gay. Boys should learn to cook so they are not dependent on any woman to feed them. Not to mention that most of the greatest chefs in the world are men...

and women love a man who can cook. MOF, most of the women I know cook less than their husbands/boyfriends. It's a different day than June Cleaver. It has nothing to do with gender roles or sexuality. It has to do with raising your kid to be self sufficient.

wutamess
12-03-2007, 09:30 PM
No, it's not gay. Boys should learn to cook so they are not dependent on any woman to feed them. Not to mention that most of the greatest chefs in the world are men...

and women love a man who can cook. MOF, most of the women I know cook less than their husbands/boyfriends. It's a different day than June Cleaver. It has nothing to do with gender roles or sexuality. It has to do with raising your kid to be self sufficient.

I think we established that a plastic kitchen isn't going to teach your kid how to cook. Staying in the kitchen with mommy or daddy will however.

JohninGpt
12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
I think I'd rather get him a small Weber Kettle and a can of charcoal lighter.

memyselfI
12-03-2007, 09:54 PM
I think we established that a plastic kitchen isn't going to teach your kid how to cook. Staying in the kitchen with mommy or daddy will however.

No, but it gets them interested in the idea much sooner than they are physically or emotionally able to cook.

If you have ever been near toddlers in a day care you will see the boys play with the kitchens as much, if not more, than the girls do.

Phobia
12-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I really don't see the problem. We don't live in the 50's any longer.

Rain Man
12-03-2007, 10:52 PM

I do.

crazycoffey
12-03-2007, 10:56 PM

Shut up and cook me a pie, bitch!

wutamess
12-04-2007, 01:46 AM

So you're saying... you'd buy your son a kitchen set?

JohninGpt
12-04-2007, 06:57 AM
I don't either...as long as it's not pink.

petegz28
12-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Just keep the blue aprin on him and the pink aprin away from him

Phobia
12-04-2007, 07:24 AM
So you're saying... you'd buy your son a kitchen set?
No. I'd make him play with his sister's kitchen set.

John_Wayne
12-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Yes

wutamess
12-04-2007, 08:43 AM
No. I'd make him play with his sister's kitchen set.

Assuming you only had a son smartass.
I said I wouldn't mind him playing with one but I wouldn't buy it for him for Xmas with the "It's all yours" label.

DaKCMan AP
12-04-2007, 09:04 AM
ah, I know...women are so emotional!

heh..this reminds me of a few months ago at the bar.. while getting more drinks some girls were having a conversation and all of a sudden one of them yells out "I'M AN EMOTIONALIST!!!!"

:eek:

KC Kings
12-04-2007, 10:58 AM
It's ok to let your son play with a cooking set, but to buy him his own would be ghey. But, if he has passed over Star Wars and video games and is asking for a cooking set on his own, then probably is ghey and you should support your son and buy him the cooking. If you really love him you get the matching apron also.

Pablo
12-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Just keep the blue aprin on him and the pink aprin away from himJust like someone kept the dictionary away from you?

;)

BIG_DADDY
12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I still say get him a pit bull. :thumb:

KC Kings
12-04-2007, 11:11 AM

There isn't much around the house I can't do, and in my garage with the thousands of dollars of rarely used power tools you will find a hot glue gun and sewing kit for emergency repairs or to sew the latest Cub Scout patches on for my son. My wife stays home so she does most of the regular cooking, (same 20 menu items that all the kids eat with no fuss), but I cook also and usually make the good stuff that takes longer. Last night was beer battered coconut shrimp. At least once a week homemade chocolate chip pancakes. For Thanksgiving I made 3 dozen home-made rolls. I don't think it is ghey for a man to cook, sew, or any assortment of other things that have a desirable result and I let my kids help. I don't think doing those things are ghey, but if I started stacking sewing magazines in the bathroom, or started buying thousands of dollars of fancy cooking pans, that would be pretty ghey.

http://www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/2007/01/does-cooking-make-you-gay.html (http://)

Does Cooking Make You Gay?
Posted by Adam Roberts, January 30, 2007 at 6:30 AM

Easy-Bake Ovens are not traditionally marketed to boys. The commercials (see below) are festive and feminine, with girls grinning ear to ear as they bake mini pizzas and cupcakes with a high-powered light bulb. The colors on the box are pink, the spokesperson’s voice is female. A little boy watching a commercial for an Easy-Bake Oven should roll his eyes or make a fart noise with his mouth to assert his masculinity. Unless that little boy leans closer to the screen, scratches his head and wonders how he can tell his mother or father that he doesn’t want a bicycle for Hanukkah or a Light Bright. He wants an Easy-Bake Oven so he can learn to cook.

Baby Lee
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
The jig is up. wutamess was just scouting for 'the view'
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/78ND3vqPz90&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/78ND3vqPz90&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

BIG_DADDY
12-06-2007, 01:13 PM
The jig is up. wutamess was just scouting for 'the view'
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/78ND3vqPz90&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/78ND3vqPz90&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Good god, with one exception how badly do the rest of these women want to emasculate their little boys?

I think I will go out and buy my son a toy gun today.

Phobia
12-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Assuming you only had a son smartass.
I said I wouldn't mind him playing with one but I wouldn't buy it for him for Xmas with the "It's all yours" label.

If I saw him playing with one exclusively over at friends and it was apparent that he enjoyed it immensely, sure. Why not?

I've bought my 14 YO daughter a skateboard and I'm pretty sure she's not a lesbian.

Ari ümlaüt
12-06-2007, 01:42 PM
We bought one off Craigs list for our two kids and they love it.

I hate it, as it came with shitloads of fake food and dishes that get strung out all over the house.

It is good for pretending, there is nothing gay about it. In fact, wutamess may end up having a gay kid, regardless since he is worrying about it.

xbarretx
12-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Not the ghey.

as long as its not flaming pink (the kind that screams 80's hot pink) then no worries, just pretend its a tool set thats missing tools and was replaced by pots, a spatula, and a pastry blender ;)

wutamess
12-06-2007, 02:40 PM
We bought one off Craigs list for our two kids and they love it.

I hate it, as it came with shitloads of fake food and dishes that get strung out all over the house.

It is good for pretending, there is nothing gay about it. In fact, wutamess may end up having a gay kid, regardless since he is worrying about it.

If he was/is gay... He's Gay. Like the woman in the skit. I wouldn't love him any less and i would support his decision.

I said the ACT was gay (in a jokingly manner) not the child.

Imagine we're talking over a few beers and you tell me "you're buying your son a kitchen set for XMas". That'd be funny as hell to me.

We'll agree to disagree.

BIG_DADDY
12-06-2007, 02:44 PM
If he was/is gay... He's Gay. Like the woman in the skit. I wouldn't love him any less and i would support his decision.

I said the ACT was gay (in a jokingly manner) not the child.

Imagine we're talking over a few beers and you tell me "you're buying your son a kitchen set for XMas". That'd be funny as hell to me.

We'll agree to disagree.
What if he wanted to start chopping off his body parts and taking hormones like Ultra Nutless? Would you support that?

wutamess
12-06-2007, 03:21 PM
What if he wanted to start chopping off his body parts and taking hormones like Ultra Nutless? Would you support that?

If he wanted to run butt ass naked down Prospect (tough KC street) backwards, I'd support his decision. I can't/won't make up his mind or control him.

I will support EVERY decision he'd make (short of inflicting harm to others) as they're HIS decisions.

BIG_DADDY
12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
If he wanted to run butt ass naked down Prospect (tough KC street) backwards, I'd support his decision. I can't/won't make up his mind or control him.

I will support EVERY decision he'd make (short of inflicting harm to others) as they're HIS decisions.

WOW, OK.

wutamess
12-06-2007, 03:25 PM
WOW, OK.

I don't know why that's so WOWish?
You wouldn't support your son's decision if he was gay?

BIG_DADDY
12-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't know why that's so WOWish?
You wouldn't support your son's decision if he was gay?

I may have to accept it but support it, no. I also would not support him using crack or chopping off body parts either. Call me crazy.

wutamess
12-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I may have to accept it but support it, no. I also would not support him using crack or chopping off body parts either. Call me crazy.

Well if he did crack that's on him. I'd support that decision too. I'd try to get him help or whatever but if he liked it I love it. Once he's out of my house he can do as he pleases.

Maybe we're thinking the same and I'm confusing acceptance with support. You're right.

Phobia
12-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I'd beat the gay out of him. Then I'd buy him 69 virgin hookers.

Iowanian
12-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Who knew these skaliwags were Chiefsplanet fans

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/78ND3vqPz90&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode"value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/78ND3vqPz90&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

whoaskew
12-06-2007, 04:00 PM
do you think it is one of your parental obligations as a father to teach your son to 'be a man?'

Yes, I think it IS my obligation to teach my son to be a man, whether that is me teaching him directly or leading by example.