PDA

View Full Version : What if... we had a 16 team playoff for CFB?

Anyong Bluth
12-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Seriously, you're telling me that if we had to look forward to this following matchups it wouldn't generate some huge money?

People could still have the other bowls, its no different b/c we all know they're aren't NC games and fans would still attend to support their teams!

Check this out:

1st Round matchups

Region 1

tOSU(1) v. Tenn(16)
KU(8) v. WV(9)

Region 2

OU(4) v. ILL(13)
GA(5) v. FL(12)

Region 3

VT(3) v. BC(14)
MU(7) v. ASU(11)

Region 4

LSU(2) v Clemson(15)
USC(7) v Hawaii(10)

This is simply based off the final BCS rankings. Have the 1st round at the higher ranked team's place or a neutral site, that can be hashed out, but can you imagine it? Region 1 and 4 would match up and 2 & 3
to see who goes to the NC.

ClevelandBronco
12-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Seriously, you're telling me that if we had to look forward to this following matchups it wouldn't generate some huge money?

People could still have the other bowls, its no different b/c we all know they're aren't NC games and fans would still attend to support their teams!

Check this out:

1st Round matchups

Region 1

tOSU(1) v. Tenn(16)
KU(8) v. WV(9)

Region 2

OU(4) v. ILL(13)
GA(5) v. FL(12)

Region 3

VT(3) v. BC(14)
MU(7) v. ASU(11)

Region 4

LSU(2) v Clemson(15)
USC(7) v Hawaii(10)

This is simply based off the final BCS rankings. Have the 1st round at the higher ranked team's place or a neutral site, that can be hashed out, but can you imagine it? Region 1 and 4 would match up and 2 & 3

I'd be watching the games and the advertising. I'll be damned if I know why they won't do it.

Valiant
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I think just having a 8 team format would be enough... 16 is too many and has too many weeks to pull off..

Also every conference should have a championship game, either all do or none do.. That way those games to not help or hinder in the rankings..

Thig Lyfe
12-03-2007, 01:40 PM
These students have finals to pretend to study for, ya know.

Reaper16
12-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Coming from a Division II school, I can say that the playoffs each year are an exciting, invigorating event for the D2 football scene. Playoff football is the best.

D1 is so stuck (financially and otherwise) in the ways of the bowl system, however, that they probably will never seriously consider a playoff.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The ONLY way the NCAA can sanction a playoff is if ALL D-1 conferences are represented. It also would require a more balanced system of how D-1 football is scheduled. Which means no more 1-AA opponents and every conference plays the same number of games, and elimination of the CCGs as well. Don't look for it anytime soon.

Ari ümlaüt
12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
i would watch EvERYONE of those games.

as it stands now, I may watch 2.

StcChief
12-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Just do bowl games toss the BCS. It's college FB.

require students athletes to graduate and be able to pass an exit test.

Mr. Laz
12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
8 would be enough

Demonpenz
12-03-2007, 02:52 PM
just have a plus 1 system

Lzen
12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Also every conference should have a championship game, either all do or none do.. That way those games to not help or hinder in the rankings..

:thumb:

The BCS conferences need to get together and agree on this. All or none, period.

JBucc
12-03-2007, 02:59 PM
The BCS is just dumb. There's absolutely no reason not to have a playoff. Why you would not emulate the most successful league in America over the last half century as closely as you can I have no idea.

Bump
12-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I think an 8 team would be fine or 12 at the most. The BCS is ridiculous and college FB needs a damn playoff.

kepp
12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
just have a plus 1 system
That would be a good start if not an outright solution.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I think an 8 team would be fine or 12 at the most. The BCS is ridiculous and college FB needs a damn playoff.
12 like the NFL. The top 4 get a first round bye. I would be all for that.

Coach
12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
I think just having a 8 team format would be enough... 16 is too many and has too many weeks to pull off..

Not necessarly.

1 Non-Conferece game

Play out your 8 conference games

Play out your conference championship game, and the other conferences that does not have a conference championhip game, play a non-conference team of their choosing.

Then the top 16 teams on the BCS rankings get in the playoffs, which would mean 4 games in the 16 bracket playoff format to decide the NC, and 12 of the 16 more than likely will be conference champions, and the other 4 would be the highest BCS rankings that are not a conference champ.

Valiant
12-03-2007, 04:30 PM
12 like the NFL. The top 4 get a first round bye. I would be all for that.

Would not work, the teams that got the byes would essentially be losing money by not playing.. Whereas the winner of the first round got money and then gets to play again for more money.. The financial side would not allow it...

Valiant
12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Not necessarly.

1 Non-Conferece game

Play out your 8 conference games

Play out your conference championship game, and the other conferences that does not have a conference championhip game, play a non-conference team of their choosing.

Then the top 16 teams on the BCS rankings get in the playoffs, which would mean 4 games in the 16 bracket playoff format to decide the NC, and 12 of the 16 more than likely will be conference champions, and the other 4 would be the highest BCS rankings that are not a conference champ.

So the teams that do not have a conference championship get to pick an extra non-con team to play??? They would do what Kansas and others and select a team they know they could beat or destroy 99% of the time..

16 teams is just to many imo, that would be a month of games just for the BCS title, not counting all the other games going on..

The reason why all conferences should be the same(championship game) is so you do not get a team that does not compete in the conference sit idle or play against a scrub non-con team and leap over teams that had to play in the championship of their conference..

Bump
12-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Would not work, the teams that got the byes would essentially be losing money by not playing.. Whereas the winner of the first round got money and then gets to play again for more money.. The financial side would not allow it...

then no first round bye it is! :)

Coach
12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
So the teams that do not have a conference championship get to pick an extra non-con team to play??? They would do what Kansas and others and select a team they know they could beat or destroy 99% of the time..

16 teams is just to many imo, that would be a month of games just for the BCS title, not counting all the other games going on..

The reason why all conferences should be the same(championship game) is so you do not get a team that does not compete in the conference sit idle or play against a scrub non-con team and leap over teams that had to play in the championship of their conference..

Well, they would have to schedule a team that is decent for their SOS. OF course, they don't have to schedule a non-conference team. Downside of that could hurt their BCS points, if they were to be idle.

16 isn't too many. Considering that I just mentioned 12 conferences (11 actually, but independents should be in play, which makes it 12) and as my previous post mentions,

1 Non-Conference game

8 Conference Game

Conference Championship

16 teams in the playoffs, to reach for the National Championship, it would take 4 games.

1+8+1+4 = 14 games total. No difference from what they're doing right now.

SCTrojan
12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
I would go for either a four- or eight-team playoff. Any more than that would begin to dilute the regular season, IMO.

banyon
12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The ONLY way the NCAA can sanction a playoff is if ALL D-1 conferences are represented. It also would require a more balanced system of how D-1 football is scheduled. Which means no more 1-AA opponents and every conference plays the same number of games, and elimination of the CCGs as well. Don't look for it anytime soon.

Not really. NCAA basketball didn't have every conference initially, and it's not like the small conferences get BCS bids now anyway.

Bump
12-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I would go for either a four- or eight-team playoff. Any more than that would begin to dilute the regular season, IMO.

I don't think it would take away from the regular season as much as some would think. Usually teams that finish in the top 12 have done some damage.

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Check this out:

1st Round matchups

Region 1

tOSU(1) v. Tenn(16)
KU(8) v. WV(9)

Region 2

OU(4) v. ILL(13)
GA(5) v. FL(12)

Region 3

VT(3) v. BC(14)
MU(7) v. ASU(11)

Region 4

LSU(2) v Clemson(15)
USC(7) v Hawaii(10)

So Virginia Tech would get to play BC for a 3rd time...nice

DJay23
12-03-2007, 06:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-playoff112707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Great read and idea IMO

*This article was written before last weekend's games*

Calcountry
12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
These students have finals to pretend to study for, ya know.The answer is simple. Start the season in the middle of August. Shorten all BCS leagues to a maximum of 10 games, 2 non conference matchups.

Teams that don't qualify for the 16 team 4 week playoff would be eligible for a bowl game.

The teams that go deep into the playoffs will be given student athlete deferred testing schedules for their finals.

But then, Kirk Herbstreet would lose his job becaus no one would listen to his whiney ass tell us how THE Ohio State University belongs in the BCS.

LSU is going to kick their mother loving ass back to Ohio.

Calcountry
12-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I would also like to see, only conference champions go to the playoffs. How many Div 1 conferences are there?

If there are less than 16, then you can give out bids to the best of the rest.

A playoff would be no fun if you didn't provide for some David v Goliath situations.

Calcountry
12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
I would go for either a four- or eight-team playoff. Any more than that would begin to dilute the regular season, IMO.Win the conference and your in in my system, how would it be diluted?

SCTrojan
12-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Win the conference and your in in my system, how would it be diluted?

If it's 16 teams, then that's more teams than conferences. There are six BCS conferences and five (I think) non BCS. Even considering an independent rep, you'd still have to add teams that didn't win their conference to get to 16.

Extra Point
12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Does this mean that the Cotton, Sugar, Orange, and Rose Bowls can be have the winners from these regions, if they float the winners to the traditional, "invitational" bowls?

Extra Point
12-03-2007, 07:12 PM
There are enough sponsored bowls that the sponsors would have their name attached to rung on the ladder.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Not really. NCAA basketball didn't have every conference initially, and it's not like the small conferences get BCS bids now anyway.
They may not have had to initially, but they do now, and there has to be a reason for it. I'm guessing they were forced to do it, I'll have to research it to see what I can find out. I just don't see how you could give automatic bids to the big conference winners and not the small ones without someone getting sued. The BCS system circumvents that because the NCAA doesn't officially sanction it.

morphius
12-03-2007, 09:23 PM
What if you put the top 8 teams names in a hat, and just pick the best by drawing their name?

At least that is as good as the current system.