PDA

View Full Version : Amy Whinehouse anyone?

foxman
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Any fans? I had never heard anything of hers until today. I just happened to catch her from the David Letterman Show and I really liked her voice. She does some Jazz stuff from what I gather also.

Someone I work with says she is a "freak off the leash" whatever that means...anyone?

Amy on Letterman (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IlRF43-xaYc)

chasedude
12-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Can I stand to listen to her? No, No, No.

Braincase
12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
I guess someone has to uphold the tradition of Rickie Lee Jones.

chagrin
12-03-2007, 04:04 PM
she's a nightmare

Cochise
12-03-2007, 04:07 PM
The one song I have heard from that smack-addled fleabag sucks.

Fish
12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
ROFL....

I'm pretty sure "smack-addled fleabag" is about as accurate as you could ask for...

chagrin
12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
The one song I have heard from that smack-addled fleabag sucks.

Cochise is one of the top posters here, imo - this is another fine example, that's funny shit - and he's right, that smack-addled fleabag's tune does suck, lol!

Baby Lee
12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
The chick is a 'Cops' methathon wrapped in hair.

chagrin
12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Here's some pics of the "octopus-weaved decaying songstress"

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tmz.com/media/2007/11/1113_winehouse_inf.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tmz.com/media/2007/09/0918_winehouse_exc_ramey.jpg

NewChief
12-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I think you can catch diseases just by listening to her music.

homey
12-03-2007, 05:44 PM
A fantastic, true talent. Hope we don't lose her to her current lifestyle. So much style in her voice and great band (dap kings) behind her on her latest album.

I've got money on you all haven't even heard her album.

Third Eye
12-03-2007, 06:18 PM
A fantastic, true talent. Hope we don't lose her to her current lifestyle. So much style in her voice and great band (dap kings) behind her on her latest album.

Great avatar, check my sig.

On point: she is truly talented, but talent matters not when it isn't harnessed. Her lifestyle will destroy her, and her recent on stage antics will continue to alienate her fanbase.

mcan
12-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I love all of the songs. They are super catchy and have fantastic melodies, and her voice is phenomonol. But every single one of them (at least on "Back to Black") is basically an old Motown song redone with a different melody, lyrics, and drums. It's an interesting sound though, and it shouldn't really bother me. They are basically creating a very cool blend between the new and old styles of rhythm.

patteeu
12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
I love all of the songs. They are super catchy and have fantastic melodies, and her voice is phenomonol. But every single one of them (at least on "Back to Black") is basically an old Motown song redone with a different melody, lyrics, and drums. It's an interesting sound though, and it shouldn't really bother me. They are basically creating a very cool blend between the new and old styles of rhythm.

Once you change the melody, lyrics, and add drums, how much of the original song is really left?

Demonpenz
12-03-2007, 07:04 PM
i didn't go to rehab now im dead dead dead

chagrin
12-03-2007, 07:10 PM

I know I haven't heard her album and I suppose that's my loss - I could care less.

Cochise
12-04-2007, 12:00 AM
I should say that I have only heard what is out there in radio and whatnot. I haven't given in a fair listen, but what I heard didn't really do anything for me. She is a talented singer, I can give her that much.

mcan
12-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Once you change the melody, lyrics, and add drums, how much of the original song is really left?

The main chord progression and some of the auxilliary instrumentation like a riff or two that make the song recognizable. It's not like it's hidden. And they really are good tracks. I just can't get over my irrational bias towards modern day music's insatiable lust for REALLY lame re-inventions on old classics. Heard one of Heart's Barracuda tonight at a party. I've heard about a dozen different Supertramp songs rehashed by really crappy bands lately. Madonna taking American Pie and making a dance single out of it. Janet Jackson with Ventura Highway. All of this pretty much ruined me. Now it seems like Amy Winehouse is making some legitamate art, and some really good music, but my brain won't stop getting mad.