PDA

View Full Version : My Zune 80 Experience

ChiefsLV
12-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Well I got my Zune 80 as an early Xmas present and after a day of using it, I'm going to return it. It's very nice looking, has a wide vibrant screen with a good UI, and very light, but with all of its new and improved features, it's missing one thing that is unfortunately very important to me, BASS. (and I'm using it with headphones that have good bass response on my other player) Actually it would probably be fine if it just had some bass and treble settings so I could crank up the bass a little, but for some reason they decided to strip this out of the second generation Zunes. I was shocked, and disappointed in what I was hearing. Aside from the lack of bass, the Zune does sound pretty crisp but some songs I liked specifically for their good bass sound like shit. Also somewhat annoying is that the Zune doesn't show any other tag info such as year the song was released or the bitrate. They don't even have an info screen you can drill into to see this information.

The new Zune software has no auto playlists and it becomes difficult to create large custom playlists if you have a huge collection. It's simply too simplistic with features such as being able to edit the meta data being stripped out. The software lacks a lot of features I'm used to having with Media Monkey.

I'm thinking of going with one of these puppies when the 32GB comes out. It's a little smaller on the size, but I can always expand it later on as flash SD cards become cheaper and cheaper:

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=16999

Mr Luzcious
12-04-2007, 01:33 AM
I really don't understand why the Ipod and Zune players don't have custom equalizers.

Guru
12-04-2007, 01:44 AM
I really don't understand why the Ipod and Zune players don't have custom equalizers.
That is my one MAJOR gripe about my Zune.

ChiefsLV
12-05-2007, 01:08 AM
I wonder if they could add an equalizer later. I mean it is just a software equalizer isn't it. Just don't get why they'd strip that out when they already had it in the original Zune.

foxman
12-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Not having an EQ is a big deal to some from what I have read. My wifes 30 has it and we have never touched it, so naturally I could care less that my 80 doesn't have it. We use ours mainly in our vehicles through the factory head unit so we control the sound through the head unit itself.

I think Microsoft is pretty into feedback and my feeling is that one of the first big software updates will include a EQ because of so much complaining. If it were me I would join one of the Zune blog sights and let my concern be heard.

SLAG
12-05-2007, 10:19 AM
my zune 30 with the new software has an EQ, that I can choose Jazz, Rock Etc

ChiefsLV
12-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Well I changed my mind and decided to keep my Zune 80. When I crank up the sound with my good headphones, I'm able to get semi-decent bass. Those premium headphones it came with are absolutely abysmal though. They sound tinny as hell and even when I jam them in my ears as far as I can, I don't get any bass whatsoever. Who knows, maybe Microsoft will release a software update in the future that adds the EQ into the Zune 2. Also, I'm using MediaMonkey to manage my library until they make much needed improvements to the new Zune library software.

In the end, the good stuff outweighed the bad for me with this device. I love the touch/click control, big uber colorful screen, and the software that keeps track of my listening statistics (see zune card below).

Guru
12-07-2007, 01:40 AM
my zune 30 with the new software has an EQ, that I can choose Jazz, Rock Etc
But it can't be personalized. You have to settle for one of their settings.