PDA

View Full Version : guys good news

hitman3283
07-13-2001, 02:47 PM
i started to get nervous after all you guys talking about tony wanting to leave after his contract is up so i asked pat kirwin and mortensen, you can go check their answers both said the chiefs would never let it happen! mortensen i got during his chat on espn.com, and kirwin on his weekly chat on cnnsi.com let me know what you tihnk!.....I liked what i heard.

hitman3283
07-13-2001, 02:49 PM
it was listed under rob from new york

hitman3283
07-13-2001, 03:05 PM
I hope that settles all the rumors

DaKCMan AP
07-13-2001, 03:36 PM
Well...this is from Tony himself at his chat yesterday

Question: How much truth is there to the rumors of you wanting to perhaps go to a big city team, or one on the west coast, when your contract's up? I know the franchise tag will prevent this, but I'd like to know your feelings on staying in KC. Thanks. Go Chiefs!

Tony Gonzalez: My thing is that I want to go to a team that wins. That is why I like KC. The only reason I would come to California is family. That is where I am from. I would love to work and play in the same city where my family is at. Anyone who has a family can understand that.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-13-2001, 05:33 PM
What does everyone make of the answer to that question?

Will he stay or will he go?

CG

please stay Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaWolf
07-13-2001, 05:46 PM
Tony doesn't have much of a choice in the matter. Look at Corey Dillon. If Carl wants Tony to be a Chief, Tony will be a Chief...

Rausch
07-14-2001, 01:55 AM
I would think the same way.

If I was a (hold the laughs, please) super talented NFL star in the makeing and had my choice, after playing for say the Panthers, I'd love nothing more than to retire a Chief. It is the area and team I love.

I can respect that.

Hopefully, Tony will realize the impact he has had on the Chiefs fan base and the number of people who love and respect him here, and retire a chief.

If he does not I won't personally begrudge him, but it does mean and say a lot about a player who begins and ends his career in one place.

California Injun
07-14-2001, 08:39 PM
Tony can finish up his career as a Raider in 2010 when he is in the twilight of his career {ala OJ Simpson (49ers) and Namath (LA Rams) et al }

Until then, he'll remain a Chief.

DaWolf
07-14-2001, 09:06 PM
True, by then the Raiders will probably be back in LA. He'll either finish up there or with the Chargers...

CanadaKC
07-15-2001, 01:04 AM
Just to give you an idea of how popular Tony Gonzalez is, his jersey is one of the top sellers of any NFL football player in Canada. There are suddenly Chief fans popping up everywhere.
(note: I became a Chief fan the day DT sacked David Krieg 7 times in one game...Joe Seahawk knows the story;) ) I hope he's aware of his impact as a Chief. To go to another big market,
where everyone on the same team is fighting for media attention,
(can we say Lakers?) would be a HUGE, HUGE mistake. Gonzo
would just become another ingredient in the melting pot, and he'd recognize this in himself and in the place he plays very quickly. He'd be the A-Rod of the NFL. If money and more attention is all he wants, the public isn't stupid, and will easily see it in him as well. His popularity would subsequently spiral.

hitman3283
07-16-2001, 09:36 AM
From Rob: Is Tony Gonzalez going to be a Chief when his contract is up, or are the rumors of him wanting to move to play on the West Coast true?
Pat Kirwan: If he ever becomes a free agent, he will be sought after by a dozen teams. But the franchise tag for the tight end position is the cheapest tag position, so I can't imagine the Chiefs ever letting that guy out of a red uniform.

hitman3283
07-16-2001, 09:41 AM
rob new york: hey mort are the rumors of Tony Gonzalez wanting to leave for a west coast team after his contract is up true? and if so do you see the chiefs letting it happen?

Chris Mortensen: It doesn't matter. Gonzalez is a true budding superstar and the Chiefs are not about to ever let him free (remember, that's why they created the "franchise" tag).

i like the budding superstar comment

hitman3283
07-16-2001, 09:58 AM
so whats the verdict will tony be a chief for a long time or not............i SAY YES!!1

Packfan
07-17-2001, 08:15 AM
theres no doubt that Gonzalez would like to play closer to home and play for a winner. Unfortunately for him, he will be franchised. He is going to break the bank for tight ends when his contract comes up.

Cormac
07-17-2001, 09:17 AM
Gonzo deserves top WR money IMO. I don't care what position he plays, the fact that he is a TE sets him up for going in motion and creating mis-matches. He is as big a weapon to his team as just about anybody (i.e. Moss) is to any other team. If he gets something in the range of 6-7 years, $40m, I think he's worth it. Anybody that you could logically replace him with would cost that much or more. He is a poster-boy for this franchise, and gives us an identity, something IMO that would be seriously lacking without him. We need his star power on the field, and off, and I hope CP doesn't try to lowball him and send him packing. He should want to be here.