PDA

View Full Version : You say stooge, Tony says stellar

KCJohnny
07-13-2001, 05:26 PM
Question: How much of a improvement is Al Saunders over Jimmy Raye?

Tony Gonzalez: I don't know if there is any. Raye had one of the top 5 offenses in the league. I am a fan of Jimmy's -- look what he did for me. But Al is good and has coached me before. He will pick up where Jimmy left off and will have this squad one of the top five in the league too.

KCJ
:D

The Bad Guy
07-13-2001, 05:30 PM
If a guy called my number every play, then it would be hard for me to say anything negative about him.

Why don't we ask the running backs about the balance that Jimmy Raye brought to the 2000 Chiefs.

I'm sure you would get a different answer Proctor.

By the way, Gonzalez never said stellar in that paragraph.

One Arrowhead Dave
07-13-2001, 06:34 PM
I've never called the ex coaches stooges. I'm one of the very few to blame the lack of talent on the lack of success.
I've contended for over two years that the CHIEFS needed more team speed, etc...

NaptownChief
07-13-2001, 06:36 PM
Raye and Guns complete inability to establish any type of run with that stupid RBBC was what ultimately lead to the all out pass attack...That all out pass attack pushed his already good number to out of the stratosphere type numbers for a TE...He should love him because his next contract is going to be several million $'s more than it other wise would have been...

KCJohnny
07-13-2001, 07:01 PM
Man, I'm glad you guys know more than Tony Gonzales about NFL offenses. If I was to take Tony at face value, I could have sworn he said he didn't know if Al Saunders was any improvement over Jimmy (top 5) Raye. Thanks, guys!
KCJ

NaptownChief
07-13-2001, 07:07 PM
KCJ,

Tony is a smart guy...Why would he say any thing bad about the previous staff? Even if he thought they were the worst coaches in the world he is smart enough to say nothing but nice things about them...

Tony is a class guy he is not going to run off at the mouth about anything...Just a year or two ago when Romo ran off at the mouth about him he still wouldn't say anything bad about him...He just said that he is a competitior...If he won't bad mouth Romo, then he sure the hell isn't going to bad mouth anyone else....

KCJohnny
07-13-2001, 07:13 PM
Hehehehehe....
...I could go for the jugular, but I will be nice tonight.

So...what I hear you saying is that Gonzo REALLY thinks Gun's team was a bunch of incompetent losers, but that Gonzo is just TOO NICE to say that, so he instead is LYING about the rich talent pool and good team that DV inherited. Is that about it?

Boy am I dumb to believe these athletes when they talk to the media!
Doh!

KCJ:eek:

NaptownChief
07-13-2001, 07:26 PM
What I am saying is that regardless of what he really thinks he is not going to say anything negative...He might have loved those guys but he might have thought they were morons. Who knows, bottom line is he wouldn't say anything bad...First off it is completely not his style but secondly he is a free agent at the end of the year and he is not going to make himself look like a negative person who opposed his coaches. Pile that on top of the fact that the whole previous coaching staff is still in the league and will have many coaches and owners asking their opinion of him when they sit down and consider signing over a $50 million dollar check in free agency...

You are attempting to use comments from Mr Nice Guy to prove your argument that the previous coaching staff was a good staff. Regardless of the fact that I strongly disagree with that opinion, using positive comments from a guy like Tony in his current free agent situation is a poor attempt to prove your point IMO...

KCJohnny
07-13-2001, 07:33 PM
Spin away, jl.
The facts are he said DV is inheriting a good team, deep in veterans and poised for advancement, and that Al Saunders will do will to equal Jimmy Raye's output.

KCJ
Enemy of Clintonspeak

Clint in Wichita
07-13-2001, 07:37 PM
Gonzo has class, and would never trash a coach, past or present, on the record.

It's not like he's going to come right out and express his displeasure with the coaching staff. That's the job of the Andre Risons of the league.

NaptownChief
07-13-2001, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by KCJohnny
Spin away, jl.
The facts are he said DV is inheriting a good team

I completely agree...Now you explain to me why this good team that he is inheriting couldn't even make the playoffs?

As soon as you figure that out, you will have figured out why we have a new staff this year...

Clint in Wichita
07-13-2001, 07:38 PM
BTW, Gun inherited a team that wasn't bad, and got the least out of his available talent, IMO.

KCJohnny
07-13-2001, 07:55 PM
Clint says

Gonzo has class, and would never trash a coach, past or present, on the record.

Does that mean that you believe you (and others here) have no class because they DO trash Gun?

completely agree...Now you explain to me why this good team that he is inheriting couldn't even make the playoffs?

-jl80

It was TONY GONZALES who called the team good. I'm so glad you are setting him straight.

KCJ
Confident in the expertise of the BB cadre

NaptownChief
07-13-2001, 07:59 PM

-jl80

It was TONY GONZALES who called the team good. I'm so glad you are setting him straight.

Huh???? You will have to speak a little slower cause I am clearly not smart enough to follow you...

The fact that I agree with Tony in that last years team was a good team, how is it that I am setting him straight?

Chiefs Pantalones
07-13-2001, 08:05 PM
"You say stooge, Tony says stellar"

Ummm...I'm going to stick with calling them the stooges.

FTR, they were on a couple days ago on ESPN2..:D

CG

BTW, they're with the Skins now, and no disrespect here, but WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!! WILL YOU LET IT GO! BE A FAN OF THIS TEAM, THIS TEAM THAT IS NOW, AND BE GONE WITH THE PAST TEAMS!!!!!!! MY LORD, GET OVER IT WILL YOU!!!!!

sorry about the outburst, but geez...

KCJohnny
07-13-2001, 08:09 PM
Based on my degree, my training in counseling, psychology and theology, I'd say you need to calm down, Cody.

Sound familiar, little buddy?

Still calling them stooges...OK...but Tony Gonzales disagrees...

KCJ
Always notices when people invoke the Lord...

Chiefs Pantalones
07-13-2001, 08:09 PM
and with that, I leave you tonight, fun calls:D ...

Chiefs Pantalones
07-13-2001, 08:12 PM
Little?:confused:

thats not what I've...

I won't get into that right now, gotta go:cool:

Clint in Wichita
07-13-2001, 08:36 PM
C'mon, KCJ!

I said he wouldn't bash coaches ON THE RECORD. You know, when he's speaking with the media.

NaptownChief
07-13-2001, 08:46 PM
The Doctor of Chiefs Football....Johnny Proctologist:D

KCJ, did you have a bad jump today? Seriously, I have not seen you this sarcastic in a long time...

Chiefnj
07-13-2001, 10:23 PM
Hasty indicated that the previous coaching staff sucked. Is he a liar? Elvis said he has the leadership abilities to lead the Ravens to the Super Bowl. Do you believe him? Marty said Gregg Hill was the "real deal". Athletes and coaches do not always tell the truth to the media.

Unlike athletes who go to certain schools and are handed a diploma without beign able to read, Tony went to Stanford. He is an intelligent individual. He is smart enough to know this is a contract year and he will not burn any bridges that may lead to a pot of gold.

sun
07-13-2001, 10:43 PM
while i agree that tony is not your usual dumb jock, he went to Cal, not stanford

tommykat
07-13-2001, 10:46 PM
jL80,As soon as you figure that out, you will have figured out why we have a new staff this year...

KC has needed a new staff for years......
#1. Last year was about the toughest the players have had to go through......Can you imgaine walking in daily and seeing Derrik's things still in his locker? Thinking he should be there but wasn't.
#2. It was stated by several players that in the preseason that no on had there heart in it...they heard was Gunn, doing I, ME, When I.......man they were sick of that and could care less. Therefore, part of the reason for the lack of care.
#3. If you started a pre season like that would YOU care?

:rolleyes: Hey, I wouldn't. They had many things to overcome last year. But let's be positive here and just know that we DO have a new team and LAY off of Gonzo for being a gentleman in speaking. Also, that yes we have a good team that just needs the right touch. Hopefull, with all the new things going on, and NO ELVIS is a plus!

Sorry to rant and rave, just tired of many people thinking because we haven't made the play offs in so many years, that the blame is going to so many reasons and people. SIMPLE...WE do have a good team and I expect that they are going to show us this year. Personally. I can't wait!!!!:D :D

DaWolf
07-13-2001, 11:22 PM
Take it from me, you get a quality educatuion at the University of California at Berkeley, the number one public university in the United States of America. ;)

Go Bears...

tommykat
07-13-2001, 11:29 PM
Take it from me, you get a quality educatuion at the University of California at Berkeley, the number one public university in the United States of America.
Did I say anything about the education level and what Tony has as far as tht?
:confused:
I agree that Tony is a VERY smart young man. The rest of what you think is just that...:)

DaWolf
07-13-2001, 11:32 PM
tommykat,

I was talking to Sun in a half joking manner, who decided to utter the hated and inferior Stanford name with Cal in the same sentence, even if he was correcting Chiefnj, who commited blasphemy by stating Gonzo went to the hated and inferior Stanford, home of Denver Donkey great Mr Ed... :D

Logical
07-14-2001, 03:28 AM
Based on my degree, my training in counseling, psychology and theology, I'd say you need to calm down, Cody.

Sound familiar, little buddy?

Still calling them stooges...OK...but Tony Gonzales disagrees...

KCJ
Always notices when people invoke the Lord...

John,

You are wrong in that post, Tony only said one good thing about Jimmy Raye, that would be stooge singular, Not stooges. He had nothing good to say about the other two of the three stooges. Please be careful, when you get over confident you tend to make these mistakes.

Also see the other thread for my complete diagnosis of the interview, from the quotes the only issue you got right is the Jimmy Raye issue, I give a complete breakdown over in that thread.

Rausch
07-14-2001, 10:37 AM
As far as this arguement goes I will defend Gun to a degree but not the stooges.

I think Gun had potential, like his team, but it was not properly used. I wish him well.

But it appeared that much of the assistant coaching and position coaching were filled with Stooge-pidity!

:rolleyes:

Chiefs Pantalones
07-14-2001, 12:13 PM
Based on your degree, Positive proctor, you should know something about denial...

and (Freud) penis envy:D :p

CG

hehehe:cool:

Logical
07-14-2001, 12:48 PM
Cody,

Now it is my turn to pass along an opinion to you. I think John made it clear he was pulling your chain, he did it with enough arrogance to get you rattled. Your response in the last two posts is probably what he was hoping for, so that he can come back with a statement that you can dish out the teasing but cannot take it. Your first response was probably fine and got your point across.

Threatening to call John God was a bit over the top don't you think. So if it was me I would look over that second post and see if it should be toned back or deleted to preserve my own dignity.

Just my thoughts, they were free and probably overpriced even at that rate.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-14-2001, 12:52 PM
I'm sure some would agree with me.

Brock
07-14-2001, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Cody Goldizen
I'm sure some would agree with me.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't think he's God, but at times he sure acts like he's the only one who knows Him.

NaptownChief
07-14-2001, 01:02 PM
Cody,

He doesn't think he's Gawd, but he does believe that he has his direct number.:D

milkman
07-14-2001, 01:05 PM
Cody,
There isn't anyone that has been more argumentative with Johnny as I have been.
There aren't many that disagree with just about everything he has to offer in opinion as me.
With that in mind, even I don't think that Johnny believes that he is God, and I can't think of anything that he may find as offensive.
In this, I would be completely behind Johnny.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-14-2001, 01:05 PM
I'm sorry if I have offended anyone in anyway. This dude gets annoying sometimes!! All I read is negative this, negative that; about the Chiefs. Why can't the dude just except this team!!!

Frankly, I don't know why anyone would be negative about the changes that have been made, anything is an upgrade over last year!!!

Chiefs Pantalones
07-14-2001, 01:07 PM
Alright, alright...

CG

swallowing his pride....

Brock
07-14-2001, 01:07 PM
You might as well get used to it. The Chiefs are going to have a very rough year, and Proctor will be here to tell us it's all Vermeil's fault.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-14-2001, 01:10 PM
There, I deleted it, but I am not afraid to tell him what I think...

The guy has ARROGANT written all over him!!!!!

NaptownChief
07-14-2001, 01:13 PM
I think we will have a big year and it is going to kill Proctoligist...Even though he is a Chiefs fan, he has gone way too far at defending the previous staff and he will be pulling against the Chiefs this year. Even though he is a fan, he would rather sacrifice a bad year in order to feel like he is right. He has too much pride in order to want to have to eat a BB full of crow...I could be wrong about this but I bet the only person pulling against the Chiefs harder than Raider fans this year will be KCJ...

Chiefs Pantalones
07-14-2001, 01:16 PM
Proctor reminds me of me when I was 5 years old.:D

Chiefs Pantalones
07-14-2001, 01:19 PM
I agree, Jl,

I usually don't say anything about this yet, but I think the Chiefs will have a big year also. I don't know what it is, its just a positive feeling in the air that they are going to be good.

"shock the world"

Thats what I said a couple of weeks ago!!

CG

cannot wait until TC!!!!

NaptownChief
07-14-2001, 01:21 PM
Cody,

Take a look at my last post under the Mortensen thread...That is why I think we will win the division...

milkman
07-14-2001, 01:23 PM
Nap,
I think that Johnny has both sides of the fence covered.
If the Chiefs have a bad year, he can say I told you that DV wasn't all that and I was right all along.
If the Chiefs have a 10 win season or better, an improvement over Gun's best season, he can say that when all of you that have the Vermeil love affair were afraid to predict a good record, I was predicting 10 wins.
It's a win/win for Johnny,
except I'll be there to remind him that he was playing both sides.

Me, I say this team is better because of the change in staff and will win 11 games, because Goonther and The 3 Stooges, along with Limp Willie were that bad.

King_Chief_Fan
07-14-2001, 01:59 PM
More of the typical KCJ crap. Tony can't complain when so much was in favor of himself. Al is a major improvement over that one dimenisonal idiot.(Raye)

Get over Raye being gone, he will never be missed.

King_Chief_Fan
07-14-2001, 02:11 PM
The key is" look what he did for me." Get it? This is is Tony's opinion based on what he gained personally. Did he say look at any other aspect of the offense?
keep spinning stuff the way you want. it will get to the point that
no one will pay much attention to what you have to say... even when it is good.

KCJohnny
07-14-2001, 03:03 PM
Thank you, Milkman.

KCJ
Win/win Chiefs fan who loves God, but does not believe that he is God...

California Injun
07-14-2001, 05:58 PM
The only "stooges" still in KC are the fans who keep pimping what a great staff we had in 2000....

Warrior5
07-14-2001, 06:09 PM
<B>Go Chiefs!</B>

KCJohnny
07-15-2001, 08:32 AM
Nocal's reply is too vapid to even deserve a response, but I would like to say this:

If the stooges were THAT bad, how'd they finish at .500 in the league's toughest division?

I am NOT saying that they were good; I am merely pointing out that there is no objective standard that will find them the worst of the last two seasons, let alone the worst of all time.

I do blame the poor game-prep for the majority of their 16 losses, but I also give them kudos for winning those 16 other games and sweeping the donx two years in a row, something very few coaches ever do.

Bottom line: They disappointed us ALL; but they were NOT the league's worst, etc... and all the name-calling (stooges, dumbther, etc...) says more about us than them, all, incidentally, who are gainfully employed on NFL contenders' staffs...

KCJ
Not 'pimping' anything except a little fairness

milkman
07-15-2001, 10:03 AM
They are all gainfully employed by Marty.

Not NFL contenders.
Just NFL pretenders.
Pretenders is all that Marty has ever coached.
Hiring the stooges just shows he hasn't learned anything while away fro the sidelines.
Pimping little brother as the only reason the Chiefs D held together last season is just further proof.

Marty's the idiot that hired these stooges in the fist place.

The Bad Guy
07-15-2001, 10:44 AM
If the stooges were THAT bad, how'd they finish at .500 in the league's toughest division?

Leagues toughest division? If you considered the AFC west the leagues toughest in 1999 then you need your glasses checked Proctor. Seattle won the division on a 9-7 record, and then got abused by the Dolphins, who were in the leagues toughest division that year, in the first round of the playoffs.

Plus, to me mediocrity in the NFL is no worse than finishing at the bottom. The stooges were that bad because they had the talent to be more than just a .500 team.

KCJohnny
07-15-2001, 03:09 PM
Frankie baby,
Check the AFC West from '92-00.
Every team won the Title at least once during that period.
KCJ

The Bad Guy
07-15-2001, 03:19 PM
Proctor,

What does 92-98 have to do with the statement you made? You said they managed to finish .500 in the leagues toughest division, and that's not true.

The AFC west took a big nose dive in 1999. Raye was our OC in 1998, but the Stooges together as a group didn't arrive until 99. Thus, that makes any point about 92-98 mute about the strength of the division.

I'd hate to see the stooges in action when the AFC west was the toughest division.

But in 1999, the toughest division was clearly the AFC East, not the East.

California Injun
07-15-2001, 05:27 PM
Scoop,

You will get to see the Stooges in action in 2001 against the AFC West as the Redskins (NFC East) match up with them this season.

If you're not sure about how the Skins are progressing under Marty, just let their #1 bandwagon fan "vapidly" explain it to you.

Logical
07-15-2001, 08:51 PM
Frankie baby,
Check the AFC West from '92-00.
Every team won the Title at least once during that period.
KCJ

John,

That could just as easily mean that every team is equal and none are top echelon, it is not a valid argument. I am not opposing you just pointing the lack of validity in your attempt to make your point.