PDA

View Full Version : Walmart just got another shipment of Wii consoles

Mr. Laz
12-05-2007, 10:30 AM
in ... just FYI if you're in the xmas market for one.

good luck

basic $249 package

Mr. Plow
12-05-2007, 10:34 AM
You can buy one online for $700 and save yourself the trip to the store.........

Pablo
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Got one this March or April I think. Great product. Very enjoyable.

Still like my 360, but the Wii is very fun.

Frazod
12-05-2007, 10:52 AM
My wife actually wants one of these - she likes the bowling game. I may check to see if they have them for that price up here.

Delano
12-05-2007, 10:54 AM
My wife actually wants one of these - she likes the bowling game. I may check to see if they have them for that price up here.

If you want your wife to break in on your video gaming time, the Wii is great.

My wife plays all the games and really likes it.

chagrin
12-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Aren't all the games on that thing kinda 'childish', pardon the expression - what I mean is that the characters on that thing resemble something a 6-10 year old should be playing, but then again I haven't seen every game, just the ones on the tv ads.

Frazod
12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
If you want your wife to break in on your video gaming time, the Wii is great.

My wife plays all the games and really likes it.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Delano
12-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Aren't all the games on that thing kinda 'childish', pardon the expression - what I mean is that the characters on that thing resemble something a 6-10 year old should be playing, but then again I haven't seen every game, just the ones on the tv ads.

It is kind of a nice balance, actually. There are great adult games like Resident Evil 4. For every cartoonish game, there is an adult counterpart.

Some of the 'childish' games have great nostalgia value. Mario, Link, Sonic .. those were video game character pioneers.

Pablo
12-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Aren't all the games on that thing kinda 'childish', pardon the expression - what I mean is that the characters on that thing resemble something a 6-10 year old should be playing, but then again I haven't seen every game, just the ones on the tv ads.The only game I really play on my Wii is the game that is included in the packaging for free. Wii: Sports is a collection of games, such as bowling, tennis, golf, boxing and baseball. All are interactive and fun no matter how old you are. The graphics really aren't that impressive and a lot of the other games released have a childish nature to them, but the gameplay is the real draw. There are games that are definately mature in nature as well, but once again I really stick to Wii Sports, and play my 360 if I want to play Madden or COD4.

I haven't had anyone I know dislike playing the Wii. It's really pretty impossible not to have a good time playing it.

phisherman
12-05-2007, 11:03 AM
i've seen the bundled versions and bare console versions all over.

i keep hearing that they're hard to find, and i don't quite get it.

Pablo
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
i've seen the bundled versions and bare console versions all over.

i keep hearing that they're hard to find, and i don't quite get it.I know they were pretty easy to find over the summer, but I suppose the holiday shopping season is upon us again, and parents are realizing once again that the PS3 and 360 cost too damn much, and I'm sure the Wii will greatly outsell the other two consoles combined this year.

PS3's sales are just pathetic. 360 is steady, but the Wii will definately be the big ticket item as far as game consoles go again this year.

Amnorix
12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Dunno what it's like down there, but here in Boston we have Wii madness. I could care less about it all, but my brother in law is hunting desperately for it. People line up outside stores, etc. before they open to get them. Ugh.

HemiEd
12-05-2007, 11:12 AM

We bought one for our 7 year old Grandson just recently on Ebay, $425.00! I think it is stupid, but what do I know. He already has PS2 etc.

Cochise
12-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I know they were pretty easy to find over the summer, but I suppose the holiday shopping season is upon us again, and parents are realizing once again that the PS3 and 360 cost too damn much, and I'm sure the Wii will greatly outsell the other two consoles combined this year.

PS3's sales are just pathetic. 360 is steady, but the Wii will definately be the big ticket item as far as game consoles go again this year.

I thought I just read a few weeks ago that PS3 was going to outsell 360 this holiday season and has been gaining ground since the price drop.

Jilly
12-05-2007, 11:16 AM
oh good, cuz there you can "save more, so you can give more Christmas".... aye yaye yaye

Mr. Laz
12-05-2007, 11:55 AM
just got it ........ about 15 left at the 75th and frontage Rd store in O.P.

DaFace
12-05-2007, 11:56 AM
The Wii's availability is a bizarre thing. I hunted for one for about a month before giving up and buying one on Craigslist back in March. A month later, a friend of mine decides to go looking and gets one at the first Gamestop she went to.

:shake:

Sam Hall
12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Super Mario Galaxy is the real deal!

Pablo
12-05-2007, 12:01 PM
just got it ........ about 15 left at the 75th and frontage Rd store in O.P.Have fun. If you like Wii Golf, Tiger Woods is really fun..and a bit challenging as well. Proper golf mechanics are very beneficial.

Redrum_69
12-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Now on Craigslist they are going for $450 and even up to $700

People wanting to trade diamond rings and cars for them as well

Every store I have called in the Olathe, Overland Park, and Lees Summit areas...always say the same thing..most of the time I dont even make it to the electronics department, they already know what I am going to say.

Anyways...Looks like they will be out of luck.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Super Mario Galaxy is the real deal!
do you think it would be good for a 10 year old?

El Jefe
12-05-2007, 12:04 PM
You guys should come to Columbus they are all over this place.

Redrum_69
12-05-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm close to just buying one for $450...Wii sports bundle...I'm guessing this is the basic package that I keep reading about and seeing on storre ads ffor $249.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Now on Craigslist they are going for $450 and even up to $700

People wanting to trade diamond rings and cars for them as well

Every store I have called in the Olathe, Overland Park, and Lees Summit areas...always say the same thing..most of the time I dont even make it to the electronics department, they already know what I am going to say.

Anyways...Looks like they will be out of luck.

check your PM's

El Jefe
12-05-2007, 12:05 PM
do you think it would be good for a 10 year old?

Shoot I know 18-20 year olds at my church who are obsessed (sp) with it, but yeah little kids love it to. I have never played it and don't have a Wii but I am just telling you what I've heard.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm close to just buying one for $450...Wii sports bundle...I'm guessing this is the basic package that I keep reading about and seeing on storre ads ffor $249.

doesn't the sports bundle games come with the basic Wii package for $249?

it lists some sports games ....... different sports games? :shrug:

El Jefe

They are that obsolete down there, I could buy one and ship it for less than that.

ChiefsFan4Life

You should have bought as many as you can and flipped them all on ebay

That's what I'm gonna do if I walk into a situation like that

El Jefe
12-05-2007, 12:07 PM
The only game I really play on my Wii is the game that is included in the packaging for free. Wii: Sports is a collection of games, such as bowling, tennis, golf, boxing and baseball. All are interactive and fun no matter how old you are. The graphics really aren't that impressive and a lot of the other games released have a childish nature to them, but the gameplay is the real draw. There are games that are definately mature in nature as well, but once again I really stick to Wii Sports, and play my 360 if I want to play Madden or COD4.

I haven't had anyone I know dislike playing the Wii. It's really pretty impossible not to have a good time playing it.

Laz Gonzo describes it in this post.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
You should have bought as many as you can and flipped them all on ebay

That's what I'm gonna do if I walk into a situation like that
nah ... that's rather "scalper-ish"

extorting cash from parent trying to make their kid happy on christmas isn't my style.

El Jefe
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM

You should of bought a bunch of them and then sold them. Entrepenuer.

crazycoffey
12-05-2007, 12:11 PM

just wait for when the "playboy mansion" game comes out on Wii

Groves
12-05-2007, 12:16 PM
My wife actually wants one of these - she likes the bowling game.

You're not in the military are you?

Mr. Laz
12-05-2007, 12:17 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL ROFL

forgot about that :)

Redrum_69
12-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Laz... You should sell me your Wii for $325...that way you make some money on it...and then go back out and buy another one

I'll give you cash for it...if the system is unopened..and has the receipt.

Stinger
12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
doesn't the sports bundle games come with the basic Wii package for $249?

it lists some sports games ....... different sports games? :shrug:

Wii sports is included in the basic package. It also includes one Wii remote and Nunchuk.

Now if you want another Wii remote you can buy it for around $40 or you can buy Wii Play for $49 (comes with a Wii remote). Has 9 games like table tennis, Hockey, shooting game, pool, and others. Not bad for $10 more just to mess around and learn different moves that you can do with the Wii remote not a bad deal.

ILikeBigTiddys
12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
whats the difference between the remote and the nunchuk?

Frazod
12-05-2007, 12:53 PM

:D

Uh, no, not anymore.

ChiefsFan4Life
12-05-2007, 12:54 PM
nah ... that's rather "scalper-ish"

extorting cash from parent trying to make their kid happy on christmas isn't my style.

Eh ... I call it being smart and making money

blaise
12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Wal Mart stole the Wiis from Goatse's article.

Stinger
12-05-2007, 01:02 PM

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/what/controllers

Nunchuk is what the joystick is on the 360 and Playstation controlers. Except it is its own control. So in one hand you hold the Wii remote and in the other you use the nunchuk. Now not every game needs the nunchuk.

vincent
12-05-2007, 01:02 PM

the nunchuk is an attachment so you can use both hands...

Frazod
12-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, we checked out Walmart and Best Buy. Not a Wii in sight. The guy at Walmart said they got 12 of them in on Monday and sold out within half an hour. The Best Buy guy said if I showed up 3 hours early to get in line on Sunday, they might have some in. Screw that.

Bottom line - apparently this time of year a Wii is harder to find than a quality opponent on KU's non-conference schedule. :)

So I guess I'll just order one, or wait until after Christmas.

Bump
12-06-2007, 02:22 AM
You can buy one online for $700 and save yourself the trip to the store.........

I was just thinking the same thing. I'd pay double just so I don't have to walk into that place or I would drive hours out of my way instead too. I get the cravings of a mass murderer everytime I walk into that place.

Deberg_1990
12-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Ill wait until January of Feb when i can walk into any store and just take one off the shelf. No wait, no fighting with other customers.

ChiefsFan4Life
12-06-2007, 05:25 AM
Ill wait until January of Feb when i can walk into any store and just take one off the shelf. No wait, no fighting with other customers.

I wouldn't bank on that. A lot of people said that LAST YEAR and to no avail. I don't see this being any different.

xbarretx
12-06-2007, 08:09 PM
so Laz, are you just randomly calling places? or are there certain days that you know of?

Mr. Laz
12-06-2007, 08:16 PM
so Laz, are you just randomly calling places? or are there certain days that you know of?
said at walmart that wednesday is the best day around 11 a.m. after the truck.

if you talk really nice to the electronic manager at the walmart at 75th and frontage rd she will put your name on the list and call you when they come in ........ although you only have 30 minutes to get there when your called or they move on to the next name.

Mr. Laz
12-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. I'd pay double just so I don't have to walk into that place or I would drive hours out of my way instead too. I get the cravings of a mass murderer everytime I walk into that place.
sold

:)

xbarretx
12-06-2007, 08:44 PM
said at walmart that wednesday is the best day around 11 a.m. after the truck.

if you talk really nice to the electronic manager at the walmart at 75th and frontage rd she will put your name on the list and call you when they come in ........ although you only have 30 minutes to get there when your called or they move on to the next name.

i called and was nice, i got no offer. im checking on a lead tomorrow, i hear a certain store gets them on Fridays...if i find em ill let you know.

but alas no offer to have my name put on a list. at this point i may just say F nintendo and not get one. or wait till nintendo has way too many on ever shelf b/c they ticked off customers buy BEING IN THE GAME BUSINESS FOR OVER TWO DECADES AND NOT KNOWING WHAT AN EFFICIENT SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGMENT SCENERIO looks like ... whew...said that all in one breath ;)

barry_smilez20
12-06-2007, 08:47 PM
wii sucks

jiveturkey
12-06-2007, 08:48 PM
I got one at Costco this morning.

I had to show up at 8:30 and get a voucher and then go back at 10am and buy it.

For $344 you get an extra controller, nunchuck and an extra game.

Call your local Costcos.

jiveturkey
12-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Ill wait until January of Feb when i can walk into any store and just take one off the shelf. No wait, no fighting with other customers.The wife and I had to use an inside Target source to get ours last Feb. Over Thanksgiving I told my sister that I would buy one for her and her family and then realized how stupid I was the next day.

They'll eventually be easy to get but I don't think that Jan or Feb is going to be when.

xbarretx
12-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I got one at Costco this morning.

For $344 you get an extra controller, nunchuck and an extra game.

Call your local Costcos.

no way, the monet annoying thing regarding next gen systems is they keep trying to cram bUNDLES down our throats. look you can get a ??? for only 600 dollars above the system price but...you get 10 crappy games that youd never buy or dumb accessories that you'll never use.

naa if i get one its just the base model. im happy with my 360. the WII is for the kiddies and my wife.

Mr. Laz
12-06-2007, 08:52 PM
i called and was nice, i got no offer. im checking on a lead tomorrow, i hear a certain store gets them on Fridays...if i find em ill let you know.

but alas no offer to have my name put on a list. at this point i may just say F nintendo and not get one. or wait till nintendo has way too many on ever shelf b/c they ticked off customers buy BEING IN THE GAME BUSINESS FOR OVER TWO DECADES AND NOT KNOWING WHAT AN EFFICIENT SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGMENT SCENERIO looks like ... whew...said that all in one breath ;)

ya, i doubt they will offer the list over the phone ... this is strictly the dept managers thing i think.

nintendo has done this for a long,long time .....

they price fix their items by refusing to allow people to sell them without agreeing to a minimum price. That's why all the sales are done by adding extra games and stuff ... because there aren't allowed to reduce the price without authorization from Nintendo.

then they under ship the items to drive up the public buzz.

xbarretx
12-06-2007, 08:55 PM
ya, i doubt they will offer the list over the phone ... this is strictly the dept managers thing i think.

nintendo has done this for a long,long time .....

they price fix their items by refusing to allow people to sell them without agreeing to a minimum price. That's why all the sales are done by adding extra games and stuff ... because there aren't allowed to reduce the price without authorization from Nintendo.

then they under ship the items to drive up the public buzz.

then that explains why the n64 and the game cube failed. oh wait...not to mention that they fail to reailze the value of 3rd party developers. false demand helps initial sales but the company always ends up taking a bath. you'd thiink a company that got its beginning in playing cards would know how to "play the game"

regardless, ill post if i find about them tomorrow. looking to not disappoint my two boys.

Deberg_1990
12-06-2007, 08:56 PM

I dont understand the point of this??

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 09:49 AM
nope nothing Friday or Sat. every place i talk to .. BB/ToysRus say next weekend. I know the BB's are doing theres Sunday (not this one, the next) and they say people line up at midnight the night before.....dumb dumb dumb.

ill check like you said on WED Laz, and post when they get em if im lucky

Guru
12-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I can't believe that any console could be so popular that it is still not mass produced enough a year after it is introduced. I would say either Nintendo is doing this on purpose or they are incredibly stupid.

I am betting they can't be stupid.

Cochise
12-08-2007, 11:48 AM
I can't believe that any console could be so popular that it is still not mass produced enough a year after it is introduced. I would say either Nintendo is doing this on purpose or they are incredibly stupid.

I am betting they can't be stupid.

I think they are probably producing them as fast as they can. If their intent was to rape everyone for every last dollar, they could have set the price a hundred dollars higher and still had demand outpacing supply.

Frazod
12-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Boy, I wish I'd bought about 20 of the damned things a month ago. People selling these on ebay are making an absolute killing - the minimum they're going for is about $400 - not bad from $250 investment. I figure the prices will only get higher the closer we get to Christmas.

Guru
12-08-2007, 11:51 AM
I think they are probably producing them as fast as they can. If their intent was to rape everyone for every last dollar, they could have set the price a hundred dollars higher and still had demand outpacing supply.
I am happy with them for the price point. Just seems odd to me that they can't produce enough to keep up with demand.

I haven't seen the numbers but they must be getting close to Xbox 360 sales numbers by now.

Guru
12-08-2007, 11:55 AM
OK. I sit corrected. Wii has sold more than Xbox now.

http://nexgenwars.com/

Deberg_1990
12-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Why is it that the accessories for Wii's (extra controllers, mem cards, etc) you can get fairly easily, but the boxes themselves are nowhere to be found???

Frazod
12-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Why is it that the accessories for Wii's (extra controllers, mem cards, etc) you can get fairly easily, but the boxes themselves are nowhere to be found???

Because the Wii is The Toy Of The Year - that one item every year that everybody goes apeshit over. If you want to pay double the price, you can find them easily on ebay or amazon.

Cochise
12-08-2007, 12:03 PM

It's a lot easier, cheaper, faster, and requires fewer and less complex materials and manufacturing capability to make than the console itself?

Plus, not everyone buys an extra controller, but everyone who has a Wii bought one?

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 01:20 PM
no, im of the belief that Nintendo is doing this on purpose to create false demand. by false demand i do not mean that people buying them didnt want one..but they cut back production a bit and places always sell out it makes people think...ok this must be good, i must have one too. so whats going to happen is there losing business and pissing people off just like Sony did and Microsoft did when they launched (due to shortages i mean) on EBAY none of these sell for less then 380... its quite retarted.
in situations like this it gets worse b/c Nintendo creates a shortage....people then want them more b/c they cant have them...those that DO get them sell them on EBAY as such people who arent really wanting one start camping them thus taking away from legitimate wii shoppers. all the while people will buy less games b/c there paying more for the system thus significantly lowering the profits for Nintendo and its 3rd party developers b/c less and less s/w is in the hands of customers...so while the system itself is selling like hotcakes.. the games arent. so this does nothing good for the customer or the company. Nintendo needs to have as many wiis as possible in the homes of families, people, etc.... so more s/w can be bought where they actually make a profit instead of a subsidized (SP?) loss via there systems.

a few months ago you could get these on any shelf....but now all fo the sudden theres none.....if Nintendo had reserves of these for the past 8 months...they could have been building supplies thus ensuring a properly stocked holiday season where they can easily get into the black. sorry, shortage im not buying it....360, PS3 (while b/c no games and high cost) have all been out a year and you can find them anywhere. Nintendo knows that there system is inferior (technology wise) to its comp, as such they wait till holiday season....start pumping out a bunch of commercials...create demand then blame it on a spike in demand created by an inferior logistics/business case scenerio.

Nintendo is claming to be playing it safe as to avoid the bath they took on the n64 and gamecube. they dont wanna take the hit on millions of unsold units so they are trying to create a false market. ((maybe im not clearing explaining this correctly, if so i apologize)) what will happen is demand immediatly following new years (give it about 3 weeks) will drop off severly. so they will be again left in the same situation b/c no one will be taking about a shortage so those who really didnt want one will stop hunting them b/c the demand for plases like EBAY!!! will not be there which will open purchases up to actualy customers but in the end there demand curve wil drop off as the supply curve again ramps up.

the smart thing would have been to have a shortage in Q3 then flood the market during this time so that all that wanted one or believed they did could have gotten one which would then create a much larger customer base for s/w purchases.

sorry for the rambling, in conclusion ...shortage b/c global demand is outpacing supplly? sorry but im calling BS. theyve been in the business for over two decades (longer than anyone) and you mean to tell me by now they cant get it right? yeah right...and maybe if im a good boy Santa will bring me one after crawling down my chimney and king Carl will actually care more about bringing a competitive team to KC fans then media hype and selling tickets.

....SHAWNEE MISSION NORTH HIGH FOOTBALL RULES!! :o)

Cochise
12-08-2007, 01:29 PM
no, im of the belief that Nintendo is doing this on purpose to create false demand...

a few months ago you could get these on any shelf....but now all fo the sudden theres none.....

For many reasons, I don't think it makes sense to do this.

First of all, they're not the only game in town. Kids nowadays almost all have a gaming system, but most don't have more than one. They need to get as many to market as they can to gobble up market share. Every house with a Wii in it will probably never have a 360 or PS3.

Maybe when the system first comes out, you don't make too many to generate hype, but it's been out for, what, more than a year? I don't see why they would want to limit themselves at holiday time, the best selling time of the year. Thanksgiving week they sold 350,000 of them. I am not sure how many they can possibly be churning out every week/month. They have to be producing a million a month.

I also read that they are going to sell about 4 million more this year than they expected to sell, so I'm sure they weren't planning that excess capacity. They had 6 million available at launch, something I just googled says, and that's more than Sony has sold in total since PS3 launched.

Another thing I read was that the supplier for the main CPU is IBM, who also produces Sony's cell processor. They could be facing capacity issues at that point in the process too. In any case, the capacity to manufacture something like this can't be increased in a day or a week. You'd have to build a new plant or refit another one, a long process for what is probably a temporary surge in demand. They can't expect to sell a million consoles a month indefinitely.

At a certain point you can't increase capacity without increasing per-unit costs significantly. I'm guessing that they need more than they do now, but that is short term (a year or less) and it doesn't make sense for them to take the next step.

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 01:35 PM
For many reasons, I don't think it makes sense to do this.

First of all, they're not the only game in town. Kids nowadays almost all have a gaming system, but most don't have more than one. They need to get as many to market as they can to gobble up market share. Every house with a Wii in it will probably never have a 360 or PS3.

Maybe when the system first comes out, you don't make too many to generate hype, but it's been out for, what, more than a year? I don't see why they would want to limit themselves at holiday time, the best selling time of the year. Thanksgiving week they sold 350,000 of them. I am not sure how many they can possibly be churning out every week/month. They have to be producing a million a month.

I also read that they are going to sell about 4 million more this year than they expected to sell, so I'm sure they weren't planning that excess capacity. They had 6 million available at launch, something I just googled says, and that's more than Sony has sold in total since PS3 launched.

Another thing I read was that the supplier for the main CPU is IBM, who also produces Sony's cell processor. They could be facing capacity issues at that point in the process too. In any case, the capacity to manufacture something like this can't be increased in a day or a week. You'd have to build a new plant or refit another one, a long process for what is probably a temporary surge in demand. They can't expect to sell a million consoles a month indefinitely.

At a certain point you can't increase capacity without increasing per-unit costs significantly. I'm guessing that they need more than they do now, but that is short term (a year or less) and it doesn't make sense for them to take the next step.

i agree, but these always remind me of tickle me elmo :deevee:

also Sony allienated (SP?) there customer base with the PS3. its not meant for gamers..its meant for high end tech geeks... 360 gamers..... Wii toy and some gamers...PS3 rich people to think they have a leg on everyone via a status symbol

Edit: my main beef with nintendo is exactily what Sony did with p3.... what good MUST HAVE GAMES are out for it??? there are none. Nintendo started a trend with the NES to screw developers. they pay for it now with an extreme lack of titles. im happy with my 360, its a powerful machine that appeals to me and fellow gamers and theres a boat load of games that span many genre's. ps3 has got crap out for it so why buy it...and shortly after those who want a wii get one. they'll stop making games or slow it down greatly. gamers what Variety..after all tis the "spice of life" thats why the wii shortage bugs me...theres not a whole lot of games that are amazing on it.

also.... the CPU excuse has already been over played by MS and SONY...sorry after a year they can get there act together. any shortage thats "unintentional" is caused by someone not doing there job. people buying these on ebay for 400 - 800 means thats cash Nintendo could have gotten on extra sw thats PURE profit (after initial investments are recouped) thats a vast amount of wealth they are missing out on. all i can say is....thank goodness im not imployed by Nin to do forcasting....my a$$ would be fired!

jiveturkey
12-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Thinking that Nintendo is doing this on purpose seems a little tinfoil hat like to me. They aren't benefiting at all.

When these were first announced everyone thought that they were going to be the small player in the pond. Special ed classes were pretty much the target.

Nobody expected old people and women to actually get into video games. My wife loves the fact that she can bowl my ass under the table. She's also better than me at guitar hero (I should probably consider enrolling in a special ed class). Luckily this system allows me to physically abuse her in boxing and I love watching her fold like a chair.

I'm with Cochise. Why would you beef up production for a temporary surge (temp in this case being over a year now)?

jiveturkey
12-08-2007, 02:02 PM
what good MUST HAVE GAMES are out for it??? there are none. Nintendo started a trend with the NES to screw developers. they pay for it now with an extreme lack of titles. im happy with my 360, its a powerful machine that appeals to me and fellow gamers and theres a boat load of games that span many genre's. ps3 has got crap out for it so why buy it...and shortly after those who want a wii get one. they'll stop making games or slow it down greatly. gamers what Variety..after all tis the "spice of life" thats why the wii shortage bugs me...theres not a whole lot of games that are amazing on it. The Wii isn't a gamer system. The game that comes with the system is probably the most popular.

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Thinking that Nintendo is doing this on purpose seems a little tinfoil hat like to me. They aren't benefiting at all.

When these were first announced everyone thought that they were going to be the small player in the pond. Special ed classes were pretty much the target.

Nobody expected old people and women to actually get into video games. My wife loves the fact that she can bowl my ass under the table. She's also better than me at guitar hero (I should probably consider enrolling in a special ed class). Luckily this system allows me to physically abuse her in boxing and I love watching her fold like a chair.

I'm with Cochise. Why would you beef up production for a temporary surge (temp in this case being over a year now)?

b/c of game econ 101 which the primary law states : game companys make profits on s/w and NOT on systems. the more systems that are out the more s/w to be bought.

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 02:05 PM
The Wii isn't a gamer system. The game that comes with the system is probably the most popular.

correct which is why Nintendo will never again be the video game powerhouse it once was.

see previous post. s/w makes money

ChiefsFan4Life
12-08-2007, 02:07 PM
b/c of game econ 101 which the primary law states : game companys make profits on s/w and NOT on systems. the more systems that are out the more s/w to be bought.

Because of the price point of the Wii, Nintendo DOES make profit on each console sold, so you're wrong there. Right about it for Xbox and PS3 though

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Because of the price point of the Wii, Nintendo DOES make profit on each console sold, so you're wrong there. Right about it for Xbox and PS3 though

if they do its a small %..s/w is where the profits at my friend

Skip Towne
12-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm glad I don't want one.

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 02:28 PM
cant we all just get along? time for a GROUP HUG :grouphug:

Mr. Laz
12-08-2007, 02:36 PM

they've done the same thing with every major gaming change they have made for the last several years.

gameboy,gameboy advanced,gamecube etc

shorting creates buzz ... buzz creates desire to buy the "hot" item

hell ... the cabbage patch dolls were almost all "buzz"

beany babies??

basically dolls and stuffed animals .... just crap, but buzz drove the sales throught the roof.

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 02:42 PM
they've done the same thing with every major gaming change they have made for the last time years.

gameboy,gameboy advanced,gamecube etc

shorting creates buzz ... buzz creates desire to buy the "hot" item

hell ... the cabbage patch dolls were almost all "buzz"

beany babies??

basically dolls and stuffed animals .... just crap, but buzz drove the sales throught the roof.

thanks Laz Rep for backing me up :) or at least tin hatting with me ;)

Mr. Laz
12-08-2007, 02:57 PM
http://www.nowinstock.net/wii/

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 03:02 PM
http://www.nowinstock.net/wii/

yeah, il just check Wed at walmarts and this weekend at BB/toysrus. ill probably just get one after x-mas

Deberg_1990
12-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Edit: my main beef with nintendo is exactily what Sony did with p3.... what good MUST HAVE GAMES are out for it??? there are none. Nintendo started a trend with the NES to screw developers. they pay for it now with an extreme lack of titles.

Nintendo decided a long time ago, that they were going to try and stop competing with Sony and Microsoft head on.

Nintendo's systems target younger kids, families and non-traditional gamers. They win that market hands down.

My wife, is about as far away from a "gamer" as you could possibly be, yet she loves the Wii and the DS.

xbarretx
12-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Nintendo decided a long time ago, that they were going to try and stop competing with Sony and Microsoft head on.

Nintendo's systems target younger kids, families and non-traditional gamers. They win that market hands down.

My wife, is about as far away from a "gamer" as you could possibly be, yet she loves the Wii and the DS.

i know, and its truly a shame b/c SNES had some of the best games for non kiddies...mainily there RPG's Chrono trigger.....FF 2 and 3 just to name a few but Nintendo ticked off the developers. i know they do rule that market, just for us non kiddy gamers.. its rather annoyign b/c any purchase of a nintendo system is a waste once the one or two games you liek lose there fun factor.

xbarretx
12-13-2007, 02:09 PM
camped out for 5 hours yesterday at walmart and got one (got there at 10:45 and was 4th in line) they told us at 12 ish they had 6 but maybe some stragglers but no gaurntees. the #7 guy in line stayed with the rest of us 6 and below and we waited.....and waited....AND WAITED...well come 12:35 were like WTH? so a gal comes and says they need to be received in before they can sell them. the gal who does this is on lunch and has been for 30 min and she gets an hour lunch. well 1:45 rolls around and now were all like WTF since we have been there for 3 hours almost 2 past when they told us they got them. well the dept mgr was very friendly and empathetic so those of us in line werent angry with him since he coudlnt sell them if they (people in back doing receiving/inventory) so when one of us called the mgr to find out why its now 2:15 and still nothing and voice our unhappy opinions a mgr from the back came out, talked at us like we were 7 years old and claimed that UPS (not a flat bed) delivered 7 PALLETS and they had to find them before she could receive them. she then began making dramatic hand gestures showing us what a pallet of material looks like (eventhough i have warehouse exp, and the lady #3 in line WORKS AT THE WALMART WAREHOUSE) then she rambled about how they didnt even have to tell us they got them (which is probably true) and that we need to be more patient all the while talking as if she was your mom and you just got caught sneaking out on a Thursday without cleaning the bathroom. we didnt wanna complain further as we feared being kicked out of line so he held our tongues.

anyways, finially 3:00 came and we got them, and low and behold they did have an extra box of straggler Wii's so the guy who waited inline at 7 got them and another gentleman who hopped in at about 2:30 did as well. Yes we then called 1-800-wallmart to complain about the mean manager who chewed us for voicing our legitimate complaint and for asking questions.

im posting that lengthy story to show how much of a pain it can be to get a wii, standing for 5 hours straight was no picnic for my back. but it beat standing outside overnight ;)

anyways heres the good news for those who still want them.

Best Buy will have them this sunday (the nice guys at the 119 store confirmed that) *no clue on #'s as that will come out in this sundays add*

Target, the one next to home depo on 151-ish will have the same situation this Sunday (they confirmed to have either 4 boxes *3 / box* or cases *12 / case*)

Toys R Us next to great mall will have them Sunday as well. no clue as how many.

p.s. Laz the Wii is FUN FUN FUN

Guru
12-13-2007, 10:29 PM
This cracks me up. The Wii was easier to get on release day than it is now. Glad we preordered when the thing first came out. We waited in line for 5 minutes.

Guru
12-13-2007, 10:32 PM
http://blogs.zaptxt.com/sameer/index.php/2007/12/11/wii-tracking-via-rss-and-zaptxt/

A Wii RSS feed to notify you when your local store has them in stock.

xbarretx
12-13-2007, 10:53 PM
http://blogs.zaptxt.com/sameer/index.php/2007/12/11/wii-tracking-via-rss-and-zaptxt/

A Wii RSS feed to notify you when your local store has them in stock.

yeah, but around here they sell out so fast it does ya no good. Walmart gets em on Wed and your best bet is to find out when they get there shipments and then get there at least an hour and a half - two hours early.

it is funny though but it wouldnt of taken as long if they didnt take :cuss: 3 + hours to receive them into stock. most places are sold out within 15 - 25 min so they obviously receive them in fast.

who knows. im just glad i got mine and since Laz was nice enough to post that Walmarts get them on wed's i was sharing all the other info that i know.