PDA

View Full Version : Thompson: Chiefs had BEST off-season...

LMT
07-14-2001, 02:09 PM
First off, let me begin by saying I have no idea of what moves were made by many teams this off-season.

Last season was the most difficult season I have ever went through as a devoted Chiefs fan. There were many things about my team that I did not like. I was wanting wholesale changes to be made, and for the most part, nearly everythinig I was wanting to change has.

I haven't posted much this summer, but have been avidly following the the Chiefs on a daily basis.

First off, the QB situation. Yes, I was a Basher. I wasn't originally, but started being one with the ill-fated drive against the Bronco's in 97 with the malfunctioning headset caper. A true leader would have stepped up in the heat of the game and made some decisions on what to do. Even if the decisions didn't turn out to be correct, at least leadership would have been established. I just didn't feel we had true team chemistry and leadership with Elvis, despite his 4000 yards and watered down Pro Bowl appearance.

I also was not big on aquiring Green to be our QB, but everything he has said or done since he has been here has been everything I have wanted our QB to be. I can think of no other QB in this league I would rather have leading our team this year. Not one!!! I don't care if he only throws for 2500 yards and gets picked every once in a while. This guy is a team player and a true leader!!! Well worth the #12.

Second, the coaching staff. I still believe it was well worth the 2nd rounder to be stoog free. Especially when you throw in how media friendly the new regime has been. It is refreshing to hear the coaching staff comment about our team. I feel a new, fresh attitude reverberating all through Chiefsland. I sense everyone (well nearly everyone) feels this team has chemistry already. Green is leading the crusade on thiso one.

Third, the cap situation. Sure, we are paying big bucks against the cap for players who are not even here. Something like 19 million if I recall correctely. That means we should be in excellent shape next year.

Fourth, I reallly believe we have a couple of stars in the making in Minnis and Blaylock.

I could go on, but I have to run. No matter if we go 4-12 or 12 -4, I am pumped for this season like I have been for everyseason but 1 of my 30 some years as a Chiefs diehard.

My early prediction on the season. Wildcard game for the Chiefs this year against the Ravens in Baltimore. Down by 4 with 2:00 to go and 2 timeouts. 85 yards to paydirt against the best defense in the NFL. Green gives Elvis a lesson on leadership. Lose to Titans in 2nd round.

Everything is great in Chiefsland again! Thanks Carl. Thanks DV! Thanks Trent!

LMT

jamayka
07-14-2001, 03:09 PM
Thompson-you couldn't of said it better. I'm sooo sick of these supposed "experts" talking trash about The Chiefs. We had an awesome off-season! We rid ourselves of the cancer on all of our butts. So what if GrPlunk Threw 5k yards...we were 7-9. And this whole Pro Bowl qtrback crap...didn't something like 5 QB's have bow out before he was selected? New coach, New QB, and a new attitude! The Chiefs had one helluva off-season.

Oh by the way, I live in Vegas and the line on the Chiefs going to the SB is 50-1.

Don't laugh. The Ravens were 50-1 last year.

But let's not blow it by telling the "experts".

Peace.

Luzap
07-14-2001, 03:11 PM
LMT,

It's good to see you post here. I hope we will see many more in the future.

I enjoy analyzing our team as much as the next guy, but sometimes we become too invested in believing our opinions are 'right' and it outweighs our natural enthusiasm for our beloved Chiefs.

I like your attitude. It is a breath of fresh air. I too have found my enthusiasm for this upcoming season to be as high, or higher, than in previous years.

Yes, I want a championship, but I enjoy the journey. The ups and downs of the season (any season) are what the fan in me lives for. To feel the pain, and to feel the joy; this is what traveling to a common goal is all about.

And whether it's football, or life, learning to enjoy the journey is perhaps the biggest lesson of all.

Luz
i'll look forward to reading more from you...

Luz
pacfan, are you listening???...

alanm
07-14-2001, 07:16 PM
LMT, Welcome aboard. It's good to hear someone with a positive attitude about the year. I always maintain that I hope the Chiefs go 10-6. Usually good enough to get invited to the Dance. I'm with you in that I thought they had a great offseason also. The coaching change alone is worth at least two, three wins this year. Green is turning out to be everything I had hoped for in a team leader. Now he has to do it on the field. I can't wait untill TC on the 28th.

BroncoFan
07-15-2001, 01:11 AM
As much as it hurts to say this, I do thinks the Chiefs had a pretty damn good off season.

I don't think it was the best in the NFL, but that is only because of the number of teams out there that seem to make a ton of great changes (San Diego, and Seattle for example)

If the changes made this off season do not pay of this season, they probably will the next.

Rausch
07-15-2001, 02:49 AM
Here comes the Killjoy...:D

I'm a Carl supporter, but it was embarrasing how the whole Grbaby thing caught Carl/DV off gaurd. It seemed obvious Carl thought it was a lock Grbaby was comming back...Nope....Nice covering our tails with Green, I'm still not big on him but he is saying all the right things...

With his injury history, i would have rather picked up Beurlien to back up Green than a LB from Denver who is most likely depth who WON'T play. I unfortunately think Beurlien would have due to injury to Green.

WIth Green's history, how do you NOT go after and get a quality back up QB, if nothing else just to cover your butts IN CASE the worst does happen?

TCB
07-15-2001, 06:21 AM
Brad, What injury history does Green have? I know that he blew out his knee, but what else? Some of you guys post on here like Green has had injury problems throughout his career.
There are a number of QB's who have played their entire careers with bad knees, Joe Namath comes to mind.
Now if you are looking for Trent to pull some of Gannons antics and scramble around until he finds the open man or the first down marker, forget it! That is not what Green and this offense is all about. It is about the quick strike. I don't want Trent running around in the backfield. I want him to drop back make his reads and throw the ball to his receiver or the sidelines and live to make another play.
I guess it perplexes me that some of you on the BB seem to have this perceived problem with Green when he hasn't even taken a snap.

Please enlighten me.

ken man

Saggysack
07-15-2001, 06:47 AM
Packfan,

You have any comments on this? Please grant us your methodical wisdom.

KCJohnny
07-15-2001, 08:49 AM
Off season ratings:

Offense: improved slightly. Remember, this offense was the 8th best in the NFL last year. They will have to finish 7th or higher to improve.

Defense: actually gotten worse IMO. Secondary will be attacked mercilessly, the interior DL is a ? and without Glock, look for less action for Clemons and Hicks. This D will give up over 330 points.

STs: Stryzinski/Horne are upgrades, but a rookie STs coach has a lot to prove, regardless of what his dad did (remember Dave Shula?). Wash.

Coaching staff:
HC = upgrade
OC = wash
DC = wash (maybe better, but we'll have to see)
STs = upgrade (players better)

Overall: slight improvement on paper, could do amazingly well on the field

KCJ
Just for fun:D

Alphaman
07-15-2001, 10:01 AM
KCJohnny,

Statistically, it will be tough to improve upon last year on the offensive side of the ball. However, I think this team will be more balanced, will have a well conceived plan on how to attack each team and will be looking to score on every possession.

Last season we were all run for the first 3 or 4 games and then all pass after that. It didn't matter who we played, we never sought to attack weaknesses. We often ran series to preserve or improve field position. There were some series where we made no attempt to score.

I agree defensively that we have questions at DT, but shouldn't we see an improvement in discipline (i.e. less offsides penalties)? Isn't that a HUGE improvement. Also, remember that Browning and Williams have played the position well in the past.

Finally, Ganz, Jr. is not a rookie ST coach. He held the same position with the Raiders a couple of years ago.

LMT
07-15-2001, 10:10 AM
John,

True, we had the 7th or 8th ranked offense yardage wise, but in most games the offense did not produce, for whatever reason. That could be debated endlessly, and has. In half of the games last season the Chiefs scored 17 points or less.

This is why the new coaching staff has been a blessing with their media accessibility. Apparently, RBBC is dead. After rushing for a paltry 1465 yards, this is music to my ears. Again, we could, and have, debated weather or not it was the lines fault or the backs fault. We are going with linemen who can get out and run, AND a feature back. A balance attack appears to be on the horizon by maybe using the pass to set up the run. Should be exciting!!!

One more note here. I find it interesting that 20 years after Joe Delaney, we have a small school back with speed to burn on our roster in Blaylock. I have my fingers crossed on this one.

With regards to the defense. DV has stated several times that he LIKES the defense. Nothing personal to all you nay sayers, but I am going to trust DV on this one. He has faith in our D-line and our CB's. He, himself, has poured over the defensive tapes, and found flaws within the setup of our defense last season. Corrections have already begun to be made made. I personally feel our defense WILL be better, and more like what we Chiefs fans have come to expect.

Again, I have to run.

Chiefs have definately had the best off-season in the NFL.

milkman
07-15-2001, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by LMT
With regards to the defense. (DV) has faith in our D-line and our CB's. He, himself, has poured over the defensive tapes, and found flaws within the setup of our defense last season.
Geez, ya think? Imagine that!

This is not a shot at you LMT, just a sarcastic commentary on KS' defense.

tommykat
07-15-2001, 11:39 AM
Well I can't burst any bubbles on this topic...All I can say is a couple of things.
1. New coaching staff...YES:cool:
2. New QB. that will make things happen...:D
3. Players that are happy and in touch with eachother as ball players for once!!:p

Chiefs should have an awesome season this year!

KCJohnny
07-15-2001, 12:50 PM
Guys:
I agree, there were times the O should have put up better #s than they did. Cloud's failure to follow his blocking on that 4th and goal at Tennessee would have been more points. Morris' fumble en route to the EZ (against Buff? Oak? forgot) was another TD that should have been. The capitulation to the weak 49ers was downright embarassing. But there were other occasions when the O put up nice #s (31 at Oakland, 24 at NE) where the D just got dinked to death.

I know that stats don't tell the whole story, and niether do off-season personnel changes. I am one who maintains that this is a quality franchise with excellent players that will only improve with the new staff, but I will stop short of blaming what went wrong last year 100% on the coaching staff.

KCJ

alanm
07-15-2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by tommykat
Well I can't burst any bubbles on this topic...All I can say is a couple of things.
1. New coaching staff...YES:cool:
2. New QB. that will make things happen...:D
3. Players that are happy and in touch with eachother as ball players for once!!:p

Chiefs should have an awesome season this year! Players that are happy and in touch with each other as ball players for once? Are we getting touchy,feeley this year? Now if they could only get in touch with their feelings :D

tpmagicman
07-15-2001, 02:36 PM
TCB,

I totally agree with you. So many people, including some of the so called experts, question Trent Green's health issues. The thing that people have to remember is that he did not just have reconstructive knee surgery, he just had his knee cleaned out. He has already rehabilited from the original injury and according to the sources, he is running, cutting and throwing fine. Also, he is not injury prone, he had one freak injury that could happen to anyone and right now he is fine. Having said all that, I pray to the football gods that he doesn't go down or we're in some major doo doo!

California Injun
07-15-2001, 06:16 PM
A small tidbit to digest...

Elvis Grbac was also labeled as injury prone before his bust out season in 2000.

I will be interested to see how Trent hold up in the pocket when it starts to collapse. Grbac took off running when his primary was not open.

KCJohnny
07-15-2001, 08:21 PM
Nocal!
How dare you say something positive about Elvis!!!!!???

This guy CANNOT be a Chiefs fan...

KCJ
Appalled at anyone breaking ranks with the party line

California Injun
07-15-2001, 09:06 PM
Proctor,

To digress a bit....

I was one of the few who was on the "Grbackers" train. I kept pimping the guy because, get this.... he was the Chiefs QB!!

Now that he punked us, he is pond scum. Trent Green is now the annoited one and thus my support is 100% behind him.

Grbac had two collar bones snapped before showing his stability by going 15 games last year. My point was to give props to Green for those who are worried about his knee.

The company line was not broken by this Chiefs fan.

TCB
07-16-2001, 05:23 AM
magicman, Anything can happen I am just tired of the "injury prone" moniker when it doesn't apply here. I do hope that Trent has the ability to make his reads quickly and deliver the ball accurately. We have an offensive line that will protect him long enough so that he can deliver the package.

ken man

....the mailman cometh.....

TCB
07-16-2001, 05:33 AM
Proctor, I will blame what went wrong last year 100% on the coaching staff, especially on defense. I don't think any of us know what kind of a D squad we have but I think we will be pleasingly surprised this year. I trust DV and Robinson on this one.

ken man

Gun was a good man and a good coach....he is just horrible at picking his staff

Gaz
07-16-2001, 07:47 AM
We certainly had the best off-season in recent Chiefs memory. I am one who believes that we are indeed rebuilding and have no problem with that. The rebuilding was [3] years overdue, IMO.

The majority of the deeds were unpleasant [McGlockton, Hasty, Anders, Bennett, so forth], but needed to be done. This off-season will help the 02 campaign far more than it will help the 01 campaign, as we are still eating a disturbing amount of dead salaries.

I would have preferred Saunders as HC over giving up draft picks for Vermeil [Tagliabue sucks!]. I do not fault Carl for the draft picks, as there was no legal justification for awarding them and no reason to think that Tagliabue would gift the Rams as he did.
I would have preferred to sign Beuerlein and draft Weinke over giving up a draft pick for Green. The final deal was vastly superior to the 1st & 3rd nonsense. This is purely personal preference.
I would have preferred more emphasis on the DTs in the draft. If there is an off-season disappointment, this is it. We did not draft the DTs and LBs I wanted to see. I fear a dearth of QB crushing this season, but am willing to see how our picks pan out before criticizing.

Even so, this off-season has been a good one for the Chiefs, particularly for a couple of years down the road.

xoxo~
Gaz
Surprisingly content at this point.

Warrior5
07-16-2001, 07:56 AM
Just wonderin' if you think Tagliabue sucks?

Go Chiefs!

Gaz
07-16-2001, 07:57 AM
Yes, Tagliabue sucks!

xoxo~
Gaz
Wondering if he mentioned that Tagliabue sucks?

Lzen
07-16-2001, 07:58 AM
Brad,
I think a part of the reason they brought in Brister was insurance in case Green goes down. It was probably one of the smartest moves they made. Of course, I'm making that statement on the assumption that he won't be another Warren Moon or Dan Marino type case. If I remember correctly, he was a relatively inexpensive backup who, as we have all seen first hand when he was in Denver, is a proven commodity. Now, I know you like Buerline but, he's had a lot of injury problems over the years, too. Who's to say that if Trent goes down, Steve B. would hold up any better. His injury history probable had the Chiefs coaching staff thinking that would be too big a risk.

Anyway, I also believe that the Chiefs had a good offseason. Last year, the coaching staff DID look like it had a clue in some games. As a matter of fact, in games against the Rams, Broncos, & Panthers they were very impressive. Then, in games against the Colts, Titans, Raiders, & Falcons they looked like they were completely incompetent. That was the biggest problem last year and even in 1999 to some extent. KCJ, I do believe the coaching staff was the biggest reason why the Chiefs lost more games than they won. However, there were some players on this team that had bad attitudes and didn't play up to their potentiel. Hopefully, we've gotten rid of most of them. I also believe that this Chiefs defense will surprise a lot of people. It won't be a completely dominating defense but, it will be better than last year's D.

I'm kinda surprised by BroncoFan's statements. Are you getting soft on us, BF?

Warrior5
07-16-2001, 09:10 AM
Yeah, what you said!

I'm pretty sure that Gaz thinks Tagliabue sucks, but I'm not sure. How 'bout you?

milkman
07-16-2001, 09:49 AM
Gaz and I have had this debate before.
I agree, Tags, and his decision in this case both suck.

But, CP also sucks in this.
Once Tags made the decision, CP had the option of changing his mind, not hiring DV, and not losing the draft picks.

Many have said that CP decided it was either DV or another year of Gun, but once it became public that CP wanted to replace Gun, would he have come back to coach the Chiefs after CP decided that the price was to high for DV.

CP had options, and because of the option he chose, he sucks just as much as Tags, if not more.

milkman
07-16-2001, 10:05 AM
This is only speculation and conjecture, so take it for what it's worth.

I believe firmly that Grbac was sincere in his desire originally to rework his contract to stay in KC.
However, when DV came on board and started pimping Green publicly, Grbac saw the writing on the wall, and decided that getting the hell out of Dodge would be in his best interests.
Say what you will about Grbac, but before he bolted, a large percentage of you wanted him to get his deal done and return to KC.

Because of his woody Green, DV nt only cost us the '01 #2 pick and an '02 #3 pick directly, but cost us the '01 #1 pick indirectly.

To reiterate, this is only my opinion.
But, IMO, the original price for DV was to high, and if I'm right on the rest of this, the price was even higher.

soliday
07-16-2001, 10:12 AM
Milkman,

Did you know that Vermeil was also seen leaving Chandra Levy's apartment the week that Grbac went free agent? That was the week after DV's press conference admitting he was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Soliday

milkman
07-16-2001, 10:18 AM
Soliday,
I didn't know that.

Even more reasons for me to be unhappy with the Vermeil sitution.:D

ct
07-16-2001, 10:19 AM
So many of you have quickly forgotten KC received 2 3rd round picks from the Skins for Marty.

We were forced to give up a 2nd and 3rd rounder for DV.

So Tags basically said 2 SB appearances, one championship, and one fewer year removed from a 'resignation' warrented ONE higher round compensation comparing the two.

Perhaps I'm all alone in the world, but I'm A-OK with that.

ct

milkman
07-16-2001, 11:07 AM
Cory,
The difference is that Marty was still under his HC contract.
Vermeil was not.
It should not have cost the Chiefs anything.

KCJohnny
07-16-2001, 12:26 PM
Milk,
I agree with you 100% on reply #27.
KCJ
This is like the second or third time we have agreed in the last 4 years.
Scary, huh?:eek:

milkman
07-16-2001, 01:09 PM
Can I recant?:eek: :D