PDA

View Full Version : Soooo ... anybody watch Tin Man?

Nightwish
12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
What did you think?

Myself, I liked it quite a bit. Like the nods to the original film (including the house number for the family farm - '39', which was the year the original movie came out). It took me awhile to make the connection, though, regarding the Outer Zone, which they call the "O.Z." and OZ. I don't know why that didn't just leap out at me.

I also liked that it wasn't entirely a remake, but a whole new story (with the original story still being an element of it).

What I didn't like was the role they gave Toto. Very difficult to swallow, after growing up on the heroic and cutesy little dog that could do no wrong! They did resolve it well in the end, though, so he still got to be the heroic mutt we know and love.

Adept Havelock
12-05-2007, 01:47 PM
I missed it. How was Zooey as Dorothy? I loved her as Trillian in HGTTG.

Nightwish
12-05-2007, 01:55 PM
I missed it. How was Zooey as Dorothy? I loved her as Trillian in HGTTG.She was great! When she questions Toto in the last installment, you can hear the catch in her voice that comes from real crying. I think she had to be really in the moment to pull that off! Her character's name is actually DG, but it's not just a renaming of the character, there's more to it, but I don't want to spoil it for you, in case you still plan to watch it. It'll be replaying on Sci-Fi later in the month, without a doubt. They'll probably run the whole mini-series on Christmas, since the original is considered a Christmas staple (or is it Thanksgiving that they always show it?)

chasedude
12-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I've been watching it a bit. I've missed an episode or two but I like the theme they're putting to it. I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD so I can pay attention a little closer.

Adept Havelock
12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
She was great! When she questions Toto in the last installment, you can hear the catch in her voice that comes from real crying. I think she had to be really in the moment to pull that off! Her character's name is actually DG, but it's not just a renaming of the character, there's more to it, but I don't want to spoil it for you, in case you still plan to watch it. It'll be replaying on Sci-Fi later in the month, without a doubt. They'll probably run the whole mini-series on Christmas, since the original is considered a Christmas staple (or is it Thanksgiving that they always show it?)

Thanksgiving, IIRC. I'll catch the re-broadcast. It's Sci-Fi channel, so multiple reruns are as inevitable as them canceling any series worth watching.

Guru
12-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Are they going to reair this anytime soon? I forgot all about it.

Adept Havelock
12-05-2007, 03:09 PM

Set your recorder:

12/09/2007 05:00 PM TIN MAN: PART ONE
12/09/2007 07:00 PM TIN MAN: PART TWO
12/09/2007 09:00 PM TIN MAN: PART THREE

:)

Oh, and in my searching for that I ran across this call to boycott the show:

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/12/03/18465000.php

Methinks John Thielking should reclaim his nutsack from the PCU reject he gave it to. "Womyn"? ROFL

Ultra Peanut
12-05-2007, 03:44 PM
EC DUB
EC DUB
EC DUB

Ari ümlaüt
12-05-2007, 04:02 PM
It was very entertaining. My wife watched it, and so I sat and surfed while it was on, and it was pretty good.

Nightwish
12-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I found another bit of trivia, another nod in the movie to the original film - in this one, DG's father's name is Ahamo. That is Omaha spelled backwards. Omaha, Nebraska was the hometown of the Wizard in the original.

Deberg_1990
12-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I caught maybe 5 minutes of it.

Looked like the same old B movie, low budget values of the typical Sci-Fi channel stuff.

KcMizzou
12-05-2007, 09:02 PM
I lost interest about halfway through the first night.

I have a buddy who really liked it, though. He said, "If you keep in mind it's Sci-Fi and not HBO, it's pretty good."

I'll probably give it another chance later.

Guru
12-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Set your recorder:

12/09/2007 05:00 PM TIN MAN: PART ONE
12/09/2007 07:00 PM TIN MAN: PART TWO
12/09/2007 09:00 PM TIN MAN: PART THREE

:)

Oh, and in my searching for that I ran across this call to boycott the show:

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/12/03/18465000.php

Methinks John Thielking should reclaim his nutsack from the PCU reject he gave it to. "Womyn"? ROFL

Thanks

alanm
12-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Sunday afternoon the 9th.

Nightwish
12-06-2007, 12:31 AM
I caught maybe 5 minutes of it.

Looked like the same old B movie, low budget values of the typical Sci-Fi channel stuff.
It's not.

It kind of looks that way early on, and there are still some of those low budget Flash Gordon sci-fi elements scattered throughout the movie, but overall, it keeps that to a minimum, and once you get past the first installment (which is kind of boring and predictable), the story picks up a lot and gets really interesting. The last two-thirds are definitely worth the watch.