PDA

View Full Version : Juno

irishjayhawk
12-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Finally got to catch a screening after wanting to see this movie since it had been announced.

The Bottom line: Go see this fun, clever, entertaining film.

Music, dialogue and Page's performance are what make the film. Though, the surprise of the film is JK Simmons and Allison Janney as Juno's parents. Both have a flurry of one liners that make the movie memorable. Disappointing was Cera's screen time, but still delivered a more cinematically driven performance, with a few one liner sprinkles.

I think most people are going to take issue to the dialogue. Personally, I thought it was, for the most part, spot on with the age group it's going for. There were a few exceptions like "Do me a solid". Can't say I think people say that.

Ellen Page is very, very good. I was thinking early reviewers were over hyping her performance, but not at all. She IS Juno.

My only complaint was the length: 1 hour 30 minutes. I always feel a good length is 2 hours. But, it does work and leaves you thoroughly entertained.

4.5/5

Virtua Chief
12-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I saw this at sneak preview last week and it has to be one of the best movies I have seen this year (Haven't seen too many, but oh well). The long opening credits kind of brought me out of it, but once Rainn Wilson showed up, I was won over. Some of the dialogue seemed artificial, but some of it was great.

Rain Man
12-05-2007, 05:32 PM
You know how sometimes you get a piece of trivia in your head, and it never, ever goes away?

I read "Swiss Family Robinson" when I was about 10, and I've never forgotten that their two dogs were named Turk and Juno. It's been about 35 years since I read the book, so I think I'll never forget it.

AZORChiefFan
12-05-2007, 05:48 PM
pfft old news I saw this weeks ago. Stop the reposting my posts mr irishJayhawk.

Oh yeah and I got a shirt like the shirt Michael Cera was wearing in his gym class. SO EAT THAT!!!!

JK except for shirt part.

irishjayhawk
12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
pfft old news I saw this weeks ago. Stop the I have nothing to adding my posts mr irishJayhawk.

Oh yeah and I got a shirt like the shirt Michael Cera was wearing in his gym class. SO EAT THAT!!!!

JK except for shirt part.

ROFL. Your review was pretty spot on.

Damn, you got a better shirt. I got one with that Asian comic thing on it. I won't wear it.

Baby Lee
12-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Loved the little scene of Ebert and Roeper, where Juno made some snark about getting pregant because she and Cera's character were bored one night, and Cera said something to the effect of 'I know you weren't bored because there was lots of good stuff on TV.

Delivered as only Cera can.

irishjayhawk
12-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Loved the little scene of Ebert and Roeper, where Juno made some snark about getting pregant because she and Cera's character were bored one night, and Cera said something to the effect of 'I know you weren't bored because there was lots of good stuff on TV.

Delivered as only Cera can.

What'd they give it?

And yes, Cera is the man at those type lines. The better one is "Actually, I try really hard."

Saulbadguy
12-25-2007, 05:41 PM
They aren't showing this in Topeka. Surprise surprise.

pr_capone
01-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Just got back from this movie and I must say I was really surprised at how good this movie was.

Some parts had me cracking up and others had the missus misting up.

It is nice to see a movie about how people deal with real life as opposed to completely absurd situations or straight up fiction.

Well done.

I give it a 8.5 out of a possible 10 flaming assholes.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I just read where this flick has turned into a huge sleeper hit.

Thig Lyfe
01-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Finally say it tonight. Loved it. The dialogue was almost too quirky at the start, but then it settled into a comfortable level of quirk and wit, and the cast was immaculate. Page, Cera, Bateman, Garner, Simmons and Janney are play their parts about as well as possible.

9/10

mikeyis4dcats.
01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
They aren't showing this in Topeka. Surprise surprise.

It finally opened here this weekend

KcMizzou
01-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Haven't seen it, but I really want to. I doubt I'll get to the theater for this one though.

Pitt Gorilla
01-06-2008, 09:39 PM
What'd they give it?

And yes, Cera is the man at those type lines. The better one is "Actually, I try really hard."Breakfast? No, family.

Thig Lyfe
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Breakfast? No, family.

Cera might be one of the youngest comedic geniuses ever.

arrowheadnation
01-06-2008, 10:58 PM
I agree with the post above...the mom and dad were scene stealers as well as Dwight Schrute himself, Rainn Wilson.

KcMizzou
01-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Cera might be one of the youngest comedic geniuses ever.I love the kid. He does "awkward" so well.

Pitt Gorilla
01-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I love the kid. He does "awkward" so well.

I have Popop in the attic. The fact that you call it that tells me that you aren't ready.

BTW,
Recall his "firing" from the Knocked Up set. Awesome.

irishjayhawk
01-07-2008, 12:05 AM
After seeing it one more time, I definitely have to take it up a half notch to full 5 stars.

It was probably the best film of 07

AZORChiefFan
01-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Soundtrack is good as well. I highly recommend acquiring post haste.

eazyb81
01-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Saw it last night, awesome movie.

Soundtrack is great as well, I already downloaded it.

Baby Lee
01-18-2008, 09:07 PM
i aldready downloaded the movie too. near dvd quality at 700mb
Interrupting viewing to say, Michael Bluth is right. Sonic Youth's 'Superstar' is a masterpiece.

Oh, and Juno saying 'lucky it isn't you' biting inadvertent snark of the year.

HolmeZz
01-22-2008, 01:18 AM
Only got around to seeing this movie the other day. One of the best films I've seen in a while and my favorite of '07. Page's performance goes without saying, but I thought JK Simmons was terrific. Really a fun movie with a ton of re-watchability. Rare to see a film that good without a real antagonist. Very similar to Little Miss Sunshine.

jspchief
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Comedy is really hitting a stride in the last few years. After what I consider a pretty serious drought, there has been a nice run of really good dialogue-driven comedies in the last year or two.

Page deserves every bit of the accolade she's been receiving. It's hard to imagine her in any other role at this point, but she nailed it in Juno.

dirk digler
01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
I watched the screener...err movie over the weekend. One of the best movies I have seen in a while. Definitely give it a 9 out of 10

Chiefnj2
01-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Juno was just nominated for best picture and Page is a nominee for best actress.

Excellent movie. 10x better than Little Miss Sunshine.

Sully
01-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Comedy is really hitting a stride in the last few years. After what I consider a pretty serious drought, there has been a nice run of really good dialogue-driven comedies in the last year or two.

Page deserves every bit of the accolade she's been receiving. It's hard to imagine her in any other role at this point, but she nailed it in Juno.
I caught the movie "Hard Candy" the other night on cable, which has her in it, as a 14-year old girl starting a "fling" with a much older guy she met on the internet. The movie basically has 2 characters, and takes place (for the most part) inside one house. Talk about a movie that is frightening and creepy...

...but, again... she was awesome in the movie... absolutely amazing.

irishjayhawk
01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Juno was just nominated for best picture and Page is a nominee for best actress.

And the best part? I agree with about every Academy Nom this year.

Excellent movie. 10x better than Little Miss Sunshine.

I did like it better than LMS, but LMS was really good to me.

KcMizzou
01-25-2008, 08:55 PM
I watched the screener...err movie over the weekend. One of the best movies I have seen in a while. Definitely give it a 9 out of 10Just did the same.

What a terrific movie. Ellen Page has a heck of a career ahead of her.

KcMizzou
01-25-2008, 08:57 PM
I agree with the post above...the mom and dad were scene stealers as well as Dwight Schrute himself, Rainn Wilson."That ain't no Etch A Sketch. This is one doodle that can't be undid, Home-skillet."

Awesome. LMAO

Adept Havelock
01-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Fantastic little film. I really enjoyed it.

Short Leash Hootie
01-26-2008, 03:21 PM
I thought it was awesome.

patteeu
01-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Very good flick. The music fit it really well too. :thumb:

JBucc
01-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Is good movie. That is expert analysis.

irishjayhawk
01-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Very good flick. The music fit it really well too. :thumb:

Soundtrack is, well, still number 1 on iTunes and my favorite album in a while.

Halfcan
01-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Rush has several Juno Awards.

KcMizzou
01-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Rush has several Juno Awards.Nobody cares. :p

KcMizzou
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm suddenly a Moldy Peaches fan.

Huffman83
01-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I saw it tonight w/ the wife...the other option was the Rambo movie (The wife even wanted to see it.) But I opted for Juno because I didn't want to go see Sweeny Todd...Great movie!

patteeu
01-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Soundtrack is, well, still number 1 on iTunes and my favorite album in a while.

I thought about you and your "What you listening to right now?" (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=176102) thread when I saw the Moldy Peaches credited for one of the last songs in the movie. I didn't realize until I looked at that thread just now that you'd mentioned it came from the movie.

Huffman83
01-27-2008, 01:54 PM
I dig the Cat Power cover of "Sea of Love."

It's making me tear up a bit....

SHUT UP!

TinyEvel
01-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Great flick, though, i can relate a bit to the Jason Bateman character, swap guitar stuff for PS3 and ChiefsPlanet.

KcMizzou
01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Great flick, though, i can relate a bit to the Jason Bateman character, swap guitar stuff for PS3 and ChiefsPlanet.I think every guy who's been married can.

There are no "bad guys" in this movie.

I loved the way it ended.

KcMizzou
01-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I'd imagine the majority of women would consider Bateman's character a huge prick, while the majority of men would understand.

Jenson71
01-27-2008, 11:47 PM
I'd imagine the majority of women would consider Bateman's character a huge prick, while the majority of men would understand.

I thought he was a loser. He wanted to divorce his beatiful, hard working wife to move into an apartment (possibly with a 16 year old girl, although the movie never tells us definitely) - so he can play guitar and watch horror movies all the time.

KcMizzou
01-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I thought he was a loser. He wanted to divorce his beatiful, hard working wife to move into an apartment (possibly with a 16 year old girl, although the movie never tells us definitely) - so he can play guitar and watch horror movies all the time.He simply wasn't ready for it. Better that he got out when he did, rather than when the kid was 10 years old. And, who the hell wants to have everything they love confined to one room, in the house they bought?

Most importantly, he knew he wasn't in love with his wife. He made a wise choice.

Miles
01-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I thought he was a loser. He wanted to divorce his beatiful, hard working wife to move into an apartment (possibly with a 16 year old girl, although the movie never tells us definitely) - so he can play guitar and watch horror movies all the time.

I just took it as he couldn't be who he actually was around his wife and they both wanted different things.

irishjayhawk
01-27-2008, 11:58 PM

That's not true.

First, the 16 year old reference you make is false. I don't see how you could ever get that. It was pretty clear.

Second, he felt confined. He had become a recluse. He gave up what mattered to him most to suit his wife. His wife gets mad for "not contributing" when his Titanium Shave jingle paid for the kitchen.

KcMizzou
01-27-2008, 11:58 PM
I just took it as he couldn't be who he actually was around his wife and they both wanted different things.Exactly. That doesn't make him a dick.

Fruit Ninja
01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
I just took it as he couldn't be who he actually was around his wife and they both wanted different things.
I think Juno made him realize that, that is not what he wanted for his life at that point. He still wanted to become a lead singer. He just wasnt ready.

irishjayhawk
01-28-2008, 12:02 AM
I think Juno made him realize that, that is not what he wanted for his life at that point. He still wanted to become a lead singer. He just wasnt ready.

Yep.

KcMizzou
01-28-2008, 12:03 AM
No "bad guy" in this movie.

Miles
01-28-2008, 12:12 AM
No "bad guy" in this movie.

Yeah thats a great point. I didn't really didn't care much for Garner's character as soon as she hit the screen and for much of the movie. For me it wasn't till the mall scene where she became a far more empathetic character.

KcMizzou
01-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Yeah thats a great point. I didn't really didn't care much for Garner's character as soon as she hit the screen and for much of the movie. For me it wasn't till the mall scene where she became a far more empathetic character.I agree. Suddenly she wasn't just the bitchy stuck-up wife.

Huffman83
01-28-2008, 09:18 AM
I think the Bateman guy did the right thing. However he should have done it before posting the ad in the cheapo penny paper "We had an ad in the penny saver!?"

After all was said and done, you could understand why the Garner character seemed so high strung. She had obviously had her hopes up before and then to have her husband bail out on her.

What I found that sucks was...that guy was set. Was he a rockstar?....no. But who cares?

He had a small little home studio w/ some good gear. Nice house, top shelf wife who you knew wasn't going to get fat because she didn't have the kid. And a job where you write jingles. That's like Uncle Jessie shit right there!