PDA

View Full Version : NFT: GPS navigation systems...anyone have one?

BigVE
12-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm looking at a portable unit, don't have one built in to my car. There are so many to choose from it's hard to make a decision. I'm leaning towards the more affordable Garmin nuvi 200 series for around 220 dollars. It has good reviews overall and would do what I want for the few times I need/want GPS navigation. Thanks.

Delano
12-06-2007, 02:53 PM
I have the TomTom One 3rd edition. I paid about 130 for it.

Does everything I need it to, but no voice command function.

hawkchief
12-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Have Garmin NUVI 350. One word - Awesome!

Probably paid for itself in a month, as wife doesn't drive twice the distance she needs to to get somewhere. She lives by it. Voice commands a must, otherwise you have to take eyes off the road to look at map, instead of simply listening.

BIG_DADDY
I have the TomTom One 3rd edition. I paid about 130 for it.

Does everything I need it to, but no voice command function.

what's the monthly on it? I have been hesitant to get one because they are coming out on new cell phones so I have been waiting for that.

Phobia
I can't imagine who would actually need one except for people in residential sales or delivery. I don't even have one and I'm at a different house every couple of weeks.

Saulbadguy
12-06-2007, 02:57 PM
I've got "TeleNav" on my Sprint cell phone. Works great.

Delano
12-06-2007, 02:57 PM
what's the monthly on it? I have been hesitant to get one because they are coming out on new cell phones so I have been waiting for that.

I am not sure. I havn't tried to update the maps yet.

BIG_DADDY
12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I can't imagine who would actually need one except for people in residential sales or delivery. I don't even have one and I'm at a different house every couple of weeks.

He's just a gigolo and everywhere he goes.

Radar Chief
12-06-2007, 03:00 PM

Probably paid for itself in a month, as wife doesn't drive twice the distance she needs to to get somewhere. She lives by it. Voice commands a must, otherwise you have to take eyes off the road to look at map, instead of simply listening.

Cool, I just got the same one for Mrs. Radar for our anniversary next week. Glad to read you like yours.

Chiefnj2
12-06-2007, 03:03 PM
The next millionaire will be the guy/gal that designs a navigation device with a feature that steers you clear of bad neighborhoods.

Radar Chief
12-06-2007, 03:06 PM

If you knew how many hours I’ve wasted stumbling around KC, Wichita, Topeka, Joplin, Tulsa, looking for what we want you wouldn’t say that.

GarySpFc
12-06-2007, 03:06 PM

I likewise have a Garmin Nuvi 350, and it is awesome. In fact I consider it one of the best investments I have ever made. It will save you many $$$ on gas.

I am married to a Russian lady, and when I slap it in her car I set the language for Russian. My wife says the voice speaks perfect Russian. The unit speaks many other languages as well.

Phobia
12-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I am married to a Russian lady, and when I slap it in her car I set the language for Russian. My wife says the voice speaks perfect Russian. The unit speaks many other languages as well.
Is a Garmin more or less than a Russian bride?

Doob02
12-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I have a garmin c330 which you can pick up pretty cheap nowdays I upudated it for 70 dollars this year and I can honestly say I will not go without one now. It has every feature I need. If I need a place to stay or eat I can look it up on the unit and it has phone numbers to make reservations or call for room availablity if you need. It is awesome.

BigVE
12-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Phobia does have a good point, if you live in a small town, don't ever go anywhere unfamiliar or never go to larger cities then you probably don't need one (phobia?).

We will honestly only need ours occasionally, it's more or less a "toy", we could do without it.

BIG_DADDY
12-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Is a Garmin more or less than a Russian bride?
LMAO

Stewie
12-06-2007, 03:18 PM

They aren't that helpful in hometown travels, but they're a great help when traveling in unfamiliar cities, especially at night. They not only get you where you need to go, but the Points of Interest are really helpful.

I have a Dell Axim PDA that I bought a bluetooth GPS for $50 including Odyssey mapping software. Best $50 I've spent on a fun little techie thing.

hawkchief
12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
They aren't that helpful in hometown travels, but they're a great help when traveling in unfamiliar cities, especially at night. They not only get you where you need to go, but the Points of Interest are really helpful.

I have a Dell Axim PDA that I bought a bluetooth GPS for $50 including Odyssey mapping software. Best $50 I've spent on a fun little techie thing.

Believe me, the are very helpful for some in hometown travels. My wife, bless her heart has no sense of direction, and her GPS is invaluable to her. I know not all are like her, but it's value to her is immesurable in terms of time and gas savings, and to some extent, safety. It's the best gift I've ever gotten her, and likely ever will get her.

It is awesome when travelling as well.

Saulbadguy
12-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I like mine if we are in unfamiliar territory and want to find a good restaurant or something. I can choose "Chinese" and it will find the nearest chinese place.

underEJ
12-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I have a nuvi and I really like it too. It's best use in the hometown for me is for visitors. Whenever I have out of town guests, I can simply put the addresses in that they need to get where they want to go, and also my home address, and no matter what they will never get lost, and at anytime they can hit "go home" and I never have to worry about not being available all the time because I have to work, or because I don't want to go to that museum for the 5th time, or whatever.

Demonpenz
12-06-2007, 03:48 PM
i wouldn't mind one to tell me some directiongs when there are many roads in Kc that stop then start again or get cut off by a highway and you have to find a way around the shit

dtebbe
12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I have a Nuvi 200W in my car and it is great. I like it so much I bought all my employees one for christmas. Garmin just dropped the price on the Nuvi 200, my cost is $186 on them now. So if you see them for around that price, it's a good deal.

You get everything you need for 48 state driving with the 200, unless you are blind and need the unit to read street names to you.

By this I mean the 200 will say:

In 300 feet turn right

the 350 will say:

In 300 feet turn right on Etowah Trace

DT

Guru
12-06-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3052420&sku=N224-1002&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1515UT

$99

UteChief
12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
I have the Nuvi 200. Bought it for a trip to Orlando and Vegas. Worked great. Only one time did it lead me to the wrong place. The POI had a West instead of an East. recommend anyone that gets lost to get one. I also use it just because it will find a faster route than what I usually take. I also make a game out of it. It gives you an ETA, I try to beat it.

Mr. Plow
12-06-2007, 07:59 PM

Exactly. Not much use in my town, but going to large cities I wonder how I ever found anything I wanted.

You can search by typing in a name, or by type of establishment (movie theaters, food, malls, clothing, shopping, etc) and will give you anything you could possibly imagine.

You won't be disappointed.

SLAG
12-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I have not gotten one yet but I've been thinking about it, I can get any Garmin I want at Whole sale price so I just kinda want to get one to take advantage of that

but for now i've been using google maps on my treo

ZepSinger
12-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Got the Magellan 4000 for the wife's minivan. She loves it...

Z

Reerun_KC
12-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Garmin 296 for Aviation.. It is awesome on the aviation side, but sucks butt in the automotive feature. Only has major highways etc... No features like finding food or anything like that...

tiptap
12-06-2007, 11:05 PM
I have been using GPS for personal hikes and car navigation for 6 years now. The old Garmin V got me places on foot and in the car. But the spoken directions do make it easier to look at traffic. I have had TomTom for PDA and I like them ok. The thing to remember is to find out who is providing the road and POI information. Some information is better in some areas of the country than others. Both TomTom and Garmin can offer different sources Navtec or Tele something.

SLAG
12-07-2007, 09:13 AM
http://www.1saleaday.com/

Magellan RoadMate 2200 GPS Navigation System with Music Player and Picture Viewer Factory RB
$139.99

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-07-2007, 09:30 AM
I have a Tom-Tom that I picked up last June and it's been invaluable when trying to get to appointments in Washington D.C. or in Baltimore.

The last thing I want to do when negotiating the Beltways is trying to read directions off a piece of paper while dodging the usual idiots.

stlchiefs
12-08-2007, 12:13 AM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3052420&sku=N224-1002&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1515UT

$99

Anyone else have any recommendations or deals on a good gps unit? This one appears to be out of stock. I know nothing about these except for the fact that my sister sucks with directions and needs one for Christmas. The $100 price range would be ideal. Thanks for any help in advance.

cdcox
12-08-2007, 12:26 AM
I highly recommend it. My wife before Garmin:

cdcox
12-08-2007, 12:27 AM
After Garmin:

stlchiefs
12-08-2007, 02:35 PM
anyone? thanks

Bearcat
12-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I bought one for my dad last year for Christmas and he really likes it....
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-StreetPilot-c340-GPS-Navigation-System-with-Free-Case-P778C81.aspx

My recommendation would be to download Google maps to your cell phone for free (or upgrade your phone for less money than a gps unit, and then download it). It has all the features of the normal online version, and also has a GPS option for some phones. Even though Omaha is pretty simple, it's come in handy a few times.

dj56dt58
12-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Anyone have a navigon?

BigVE
12-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Anyone have a navigon?
My wifey ended up buying me the Garmin nuvi 200 but the Navigon was second on my list (it was a gift from her but I picked the one I wanted). We used the Garmin in familiar territory yesterday and today and it was spot on accurate. The real nice thing for us was the nice little POI (points of interest) feature. We made it to our hotel and then wanted to find someplace nice to eat close to the hotel. Just type in restaurants and see what comes up...it was nice and handy. I look forward to trying it out when I'm heading somewhere I DONT know so well. Personally I could see no real use for the MP3 feature that some models have, I don't see any real need/use for the picture viewing feature either but thats just me.

dj56dt58
12-08-2007, 06:09 PM
My wifey ended up buying me the Garmin nuvi 200 but the Navigon was second on my list (it was a gift from her but I picked the one I wanted). We used the Garmin in familiar territory yesterday and today and it was spot on accurate. The real nice thing for us was the nice little POI (points of interest) feature. We made it to our hotel and then wanted to find someplace nice to eat close to the hotel. Just type in restaurants and see what comes up...it was nice and handy. I look forward to trying it out when I'm heading somewhere I DONT know so well. Personally I could see no real use for the MP3 feature that some models have, I don't see any real need/use for the picture viewing feature either but thats just me.
I saw a commercial today on the Navigon and how it shows the actual roads like a real view..looks cool. They have the small ones at Best Buy for 200.00. Are these things easy to install?

BigVE
12-08-2007, 06:12 PM
No installation required. They are idiot proof pretty much.
All you do is turn it on, it tells you what to do after that.

dj56dt58
12-08-2007, 06:30 PM
They are idiot proof pretty much.

Watch me...

BigVE
12-08-2007, 06:34 PM
With the number of K-state and MU fans on this board I had to leave a little opening there. ;)

dj56dt58
12-08-2007, 06:41 PM
With the number of K-state and MU fans on this board I had to leave a little opening there. ;)
lol..doesn't take an idiot to figure out MU got screwed tho..