PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference between "Spinning" and "Squiggling"?g

California Injun
07-15-2001, 06:05 PM
It's a Sunday afternoon here at work and the BB is rather slow. This idle thought crossed my mind today after numerous debates over the years with individuals "keeping it real" for the rest of us homers.

Looking through the Websters was like reading a personality profile on these types.

SPIN: to draw out and twist fibers; to draw out (a story etc.) to a great length, prolong: protract; to cause to whirl; to go into or descend in a spin; to seem to be spinning from dizziness.
n. the act of spinning or rotating something; any descent in which an airplane (or paratrooper?;) ) comes down nose first along a spiral path of large pitch and small radius; any sudden steep downward movement.

SQUIGGLE: an illegible or meaningless scribble or scrawl. to make squiggles; to move with a squirming motion; wriggle.

I don't know if Webster answers my question completely. Can the rest of you help clarify the difference?

RaiderCorporate
07-15-2001, 06:21 PM
Perhaps consulting a thesaurus will provide the alternate words that help you understand the difference...

milkman
07-15-2001, 06:54 PM
I've given this question some thought, and I think there is a difference.

Spinning is pro-active, ie, Johnny pimping all things Marty, Gun and Raye.

Squiggling is re-active, ie, Denise always hedgeing and squirming to defend her positions that what she said to begin with is not wat she said really.

California Injun
07-15-2001, 07:33 PM
Obviously this thread is tongue in cheek and only to fill some time here at work. I do find it interesting that the "Spinners" and "Squigglers" seem to enjoy attracting significant attention to themselves by choosing the half-empty glass approach.

Whether this leads to productive conversations about the Chiefs is up for debate (ad nauseum).

I'm far from being a Chiefs homer (especially when they continue to rip our hearts out) but every Summer I do get cranked up for a Lombardi run. Until they get mathematically eliminated, it is the only thing to keep the fan flame burning.

Luzap
07-15-2001, 07:37 PM
I think Milkman's got the right of it.

I believe I have the dubious honor of being the first person to christen Denise with the term 'Squiggle' (from the old Star BB).

IMO, that definition is what best describes her debating 'style'.

Luz
i don't respect squigglers...

old_geezer
07-15-2001, 07:40 PM
"Perehaps consulting a thesaurus will provide the alternate words..."

I didn't even know dinosaurs could read! :eek:

California Injun
07-15-2001, 07:45 PM
geezer,

:D

milkman
07-15-2001, 07:46 PM
LOL Old Geezer.

Maybe they do in JPIII.:D

KCJohnny
07-15-2001, 08:19 PM
There are leaders and followers.

The followers can be found toting the safe, inoffensive popular party line.

KCJ

California Injun
07-15-2001, 09:11 PM
Proctor,

Interesting response.

What exactly are you a leader of when it comes to discussing the Chiefs?

And don't "leaders" require "followers"?

Who exactly are your subordinates on this site? The misinformed?

I have to give you credit here John. You're sticking to your guns even though the opposition has Howizter's pointed back at you.

"Remember the Alamo"!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

DanT
07-15-2001, 09:36 PM
Spinners try to offer an interpretation of an event or another person's words that they hope will favor their client's interests. The thing being spun may or may not have been created by the spinner.

Squigglers squiggle out of their own creations, their own words or deeds. They are often provocateurs who are less interested in communicating their thoughts clearly than they are in being scorned by people who take their own words more seriously. Even when the squiggler is right, the squiggler is wrong, and vice versa.

King_Chief_Fan
07-16-2001, 09:47 AM
Johhny -
Leaders / followers

Let's see... are you saying followers are not good?

I say followers are good... followers of Christ as an example

Spin doctor fits you well. HOwever, that is not good, because
it what it appears to me is that you want to be a leader so bad and no one is following. Your facts are facts spun to give the take you want... no one is buying.