PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Edwards, overrated?

Chiefnj
07-15-2001, 10:31 PM
Edwards was supposd to emerge as one of the top linebackers in the league. What happened. Does all of the blame fall on our previous coaching staff, or was he simply overrated? He is supposed to have good speed, but I saw him have a lot of trouble covering people last year. What's your opinion?

Oh yeah, how the heck did Bush beat Maslowski out of a starting spot?

FloridaChief
07-15-2001, 11:08 PM
Edwards was playing out of position last year helping to protect the rookies in the DB. You obviously didn't see the games where he was *still* all over the field making tackles...

Bush beat out Maz cause Maz still isn't ready to start at MLB. Give him one more year.

aturnis
07-16-2001, 12:42 AM
Good take on Edwards...its the truth, but I still don't think he is overrated, he deserved probowl honors this last season, he is a key in our defense.

As for Maz....I think they have Patton ahead of him right now, just because he has more experience, has been working out and looks outstanding in his physical physique. He has less years left so they might as well get them all out of him right now. Bush is starting, but only because Vermeil is impressed with his work ethic this offseason, he also said he looks incredibly tuff right now, but chances are he may be out again midway through the season.

DaWolf
07-16-2001, 12:46 AM
I think a lot of guys in our D last year, including Edwards and Bush, didn't look as good as they should have because of poor coaching. I expect Edwards to have a very nice year this year, and Bush to at least play better...

Phobia
07-16-2001, 12:47 AM
aturnis,

Edwards did NOT deserve PB honors LAST year. In '99, he posted better stats than 2 of the starters at LB but the AFC has a LOT of big name LB's like Seau & Lewis.... Hopefully, 2001 will be his PB year but I'd really rather see a playoff year instead of PB berths - win on the field & show well in the playoffs and the PB accolades will come!

Rausch
07-16-2001, 01:31 AM
Usually wins translate into probowl births.

Fans vote, and believe me, it's based on popularity and NOT on production.....

Phobia
07-16-2001, 01:35 AM
But Brad, the fan vote is less than half the criteria. Peer & coach votes carry more weight.

Rausch
07-16-2001, 02:07 AM
Coaches also only get three sources of info during the season:

1)Film on who they play next week...

2)Game film AFTER they play them...

3)Opinions from other coaches/players/media....

The fans see sometimes less, sometimes more, sometimes what they WANT to see...

Saggysack
07-16-2001, 02:31 AM
Let me pose a few questions for you all.

Excluding salary, bonuses, and endorsements how much worth does a probowl berth mean to coaches and players who have a more up close look at each other?

Do they rely on how to prepare for a certain individual on # of probowl berths or do they develop their own opinion on the players performance and talent level?

hawaiianboy
07-16-2001, 02:50 AM
Personally I like Edwards... he has a good nose for the ball... but realistically, the Will position is stacked in the AFC:

~ Mo Lewis (the best IMO)
~ Jr Seau (still got serious game)
~ Joey Porter (will be the best real soon)
~ Kevin Hardy
~ Jamir Miller
~ Jaime Sharper (a bit overrated IMO)
~ John Mobley

Edwards would excel in a scheme that keeps the base end honest at the point of attack... like the Saints did with Mark Fields.... He can't play up on the LOS like say a Jamir Miller can due to his of lack of size... he's better if he can freelance like Jr does to take advantage of his superior instincts IMO...

He over persued alot last year and the common excuse was he was dropped deep to help the corners.... I disagree.... I think the lack of discipline by the end (Clemmons and whoever subs him) opened up running lanes... If the DE stays in his lane instead of taking himself out of the play with a wide rush upfield... Edwards is in position to make the play... but due to the fact Clemmons is not real strong at the point of attack, Edwards is chasing a lane that is not really his...

He should benefit the most from Robinsons arrival... The ends stay home in his scheme freeing the LB's up to make some plays.... The negative (as you have seen in Denver) is if your LB's miss one on one tackles, you'll see some big yardage put up....

Rausch
07-16-2001, 02:58 AM
Oh my GOD!

I just totally agreed with a Raider fan......

It must be a fluke of nature, what are the odds........:D

hawaiianboy
07-16-2001, 03:10 AM
You must have hit your head and smartened up.....

...finally:o

mcan
07-16-2001, 03:18 AM
robinson likes to use his ends in coverage schemes bringing linebackers instead. It opens up running lanes, but confuses the hell out of QBs because they neer know who is coming. It's typical in a zone blitZ. I think he may not do that as much here, because Hicks is a pass rush force, but I expect to see it a lot. Edwards may actually make the PB because Robinson will get him the sacks.

Rausch
07-16-2001, 03:23 AM
I hope so.......:(

Gaz
07-16-2001, 08:54 AM
Probably. We Fans tend to overrate good players on our team, elevating good to great status. It is part of being a Fan. HomerVision in operation.

Edwards is a fine LB who was grossly misused by an incompetent DC the last couple of years. He will be a better LB in the zone blitz scheme, but he will not the best LB in the NFL. That is fine with me. I will be content to see Edwards used properly for a change.

xoxo~
Gaz
Kind of enjoys the Red & Gold tint.

Oxford
07-16-2001, 09:36 AM
A truly great player will shine even in a bad scheme, but statistics do not always tell the tale. For example, your SS leads the team in tackles, is he great at the point of attack or just tackling people 10 yards downfield? Other players would have b!tched and hollered about covering up for incompetent coaching or undiciplined players. It's all about using what you have in the best possible way. I think we have a better shot this year than last. If your run defense stinks, force the other team to score so many points they can't run the ball........ etc etc.

Packfan
07-17-2001, 08:20 AM
Overrated?? Yes. But still a good player. He is no Jr. Seau. Most of Donnies ints come thrown right to him. How the QB doesnt see him is a mystery to me. Some of you guys have portrayed Edwards as being just as good as Seau. Not even close. Derrick Thomas made Edwards look much better than he actually is.

cathyb
07-17-2001, 09:19 AM
Misused? You bet. Overrated? don't think so. I think he was frustrated last year by not being able to go after the QB but hopefully this year that will change.
Although the PB is lots of politics, I believe he's been frustrated by not making it. I hear that DV tried to give him a different mind set by saying something like "14 million people watch the Pro Bowl, 150 million watch the Super Bowl. Which one do you want to be in?" I can't quote directly but I agree... the PB is like the Oscars... lots of great performances get overlooked and some get the nod because of veteran status... on the way out, better get 'em in there now kind of thing. Not always, but it happens.

TEX
07-17-2001, 10:58 PM
Edwards was missused by the last coaching staff. He is an outstanding LB. Had the Chiefs done better as a team, he would have made the Pro Bowl in '99.

mcan
07-18-2001, 12:20 AM
No. You don't see Donnie Edwards jerseys selling in Alaska. he might be a little over rated by Chiefs fans, but every player on this team is (at least by me.) On sundays, the man is all over the field, and generally comes close to leading the team in tackles, and that was when he wasn't even on the field for third downs. He also has been used in coverage alot, so it isn't like he is designed to be in on plays. Another thing, last year was the first year he wasn't in on kickoff coverage. He was getting all those tackles on defense after getting winded by sprinting down the field. He complained and only then did the coaching notice what a huge blunder it was. I think, or rather, expect even better things out of this guy in the future.

mcan
07-18-2001, 12:22 AM
chew on this....
Donnie Edwards is a better overall linebacker now, than Derrick Thomas ever was. And Donnie will only get better.