PDA

View Full Version : Hali playing hurt

Hammock Parties
12-09-2007, 12:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/395659.html

Hali has been playing hurt

Tamba Hali hasn’t missed any games for the Chiefs this season. In fact, he’s missed barely any plays or practice time.

So his is the injury story that maybe you haven’t heard about. But it’s there.

For Hali, the second-year defensive end, it’s been one injury or another for him this year, one in which he’s never been able to feel right.

“I’ve been playing hurt all the time,” he said, emphatic in his agreement. “I started with a right abdominal. I pulled it, and I was hurting with that the first two games. It was hurting so much. I couldn’t turn. I felt like every time I turned, somebody was stabbing me with a knife. But I had to play. I got on that cortisone and played. Then, in the fourth game, it was my left knee. I sprained it, but I played. Now I jammed this.”

At that, he paused to hold up a dislocated finger concealed by a brace.

“My shoulder’s always going to hurt because we bang all day,” he continued. “So it’s always going to be something.”

Through it all, Hali hasn’t been as effective as he was when he was a rookie last year. But the Chiefs needed him.

Hali might have skipped the season’s first two games because of the abdominal injury, but his presence was required because of Jared Allen’s two-game NFL suspension. Hali had to fight through the knee problems in large part because rookie Turk McBride hasn’t been ready for a full workload.

“If I can go, I’ll go,” Hali said. “I look at it like my presence on the field helps the team.”

There’s one more reason Hali never seriously considered asking out.

I don’t want to give opportunity to somebody else,” he said. “Somebody else might take my position, and before you know it, I’m watching and not playing.”

Hammock Parties
12-09-2007, 12:14 AM
What is up with the Star not posting bylines?

HolmeZz
12-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Nobody should've been tough on Hali. The guy plays his ass off.

Thig Lyfe
12-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Great pick.

Hammock Parties
12-09-2007, 12:17 AM

I think that's part of the problem to be honest. He plays so balls-out all the time, he ends up getting hurt. I was afraid of this last year.

chiefbowe82
12-09-2007, 12:17 AM
we're gonna have to count on him being more productive next year, and get allen his contract. The DTs Turk and Tank will have to take on a much greater role, Bernard will need to become pretty much full time and Law needs to be replaced.

Chiefs_5627
12-09-2007, 12:20 AM
we're gonna have to count on him being more productive next year, and get allen his contract. The DTs Turk and Tank will have to take on a much greater role, Bernard will need to become pretty much full time and Law needs to be replaced.

Replaced by Assanti Samuel. (a guy can only dream)

Micjones
12-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Hali's a soldier.
I'm glad we have him.
That kid is as tough as nails and plays balls to the wall...

Chiefs_5627
12-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Hali's a soldier.
I'm glad we have him.
That kid is as tough as nails and plays balls to the wall...

Agreed.

Mecca
12-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Replaced by Assanti Samuel. (a guy can only dream)

You really think giving a corner 70 million dollars is a good idea when we are years away?

HolmeZz
12-09-2007, 12:43 AM
The years away isn't the issue. The issue is that corner isn't important enough in the cover 2 to warrant making that kind of move.

The Poz
12-09-2007, 12:50 AM
You really think giving a corner 70 million dollars is a good idea when we are years away?
It worked for San Fran :rolleyes:

Chiefs_5627
12-09-2007, 12:53 AM

I know he'll be priced out, hence why i said it was a dream. ;)

Mecca
12-09-2007, 01:02 AM
The years away isn't the issue. The issue is that corner isn't important enough in the cover 2 to warrant making that kind of move.

I think some of that is true and some of it isn't.......

I don't think any team can play straight cover 2 all the time anymore so I think corners do have some value in the defense do to that.

chiefbowe82
12-09-2007, 01:06 AM
I don't think we should go sign anyone except maybe a good young guard. Other than that let the players develop, cut vermeils crap, and load up with 10 picks in the draft

Chiefs_5627
12-09-2007, 01:08 AM
I don't think we should go sign anyone except maybe a good young guard. Other than that let the players develop, cut vermeils crap, and load up with 10 picks in the draft

Pretty refreshing imo that we are drafting our future instead of just patching it for a few seasons, although i would love to get a stud FA but that doesnt happen too much anymore without forfeiting your future cap space.

The Poz
12-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Pretty refreshing imo that we are drafting our future instead of just patching it for a few seasons, although i would love to get a stud FA but that doesnt happen too much anymore without forfeiting your future cap space.

Agreed, I like our picks from the past 2 seasons, although, 2 young (yet experienced) UFA's that wouldn't break the bank and could contribute right away:
1. WR - Bryant Johnson (Ari)
2. OT - (left tackle) Travelle Wharton (Car)

Oh yeah, Hali is a machine. Can't wait to see him healthy. Hali and Allen could be more than I ever dreamed for our DL.

Sanka
12-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Hali is really good for this defense, f--- all the negative talk. The kid is a warrior, and puts his heart into the game every Sunday. It is only his second full season, give the kid some time before you give up on him, and say hey we should draft who ever who ever, when the real need is some one to protect Brodie. Who ever we draft with our first pick, I hope it is a OL, and that it is not a reach.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2007, 02:48 AM

Tell that to Mecca.

According to him, Allen and Hali are basically worthless.

Funny how the defense is #9 in yards and #8 in points.

Just imagine if either were any good. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sanka
12-09-2007, 03:28 AM
Tell that to Mecca.

According to him, Allen and Hali are basically worthless.

Funny how the defense is #9 in yards and #8 in points.

Just imagine if either were any good. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Exactly, Tamba compliments Allen so well. We got a couple of good to great book ends for years to come. Im not to worried about this defense. What we really need is, is a couple of OL and a WR to compliment Bowe. I don't think we are as far off from competing as some seem to believe. Yes, that could take a couple years to make realistic, but it could just take an off seaon. One can never know, that is what makes people come back season after season.

I personally like where Herm is taking the team personnel wise. His game day coaching is Huard(horrid), I think he is more suited for a GM position more so than a HC position. The future is bright is what I like to tell my self. Carl is nearly done(thank the Lord) and a youth movement is in store. And that is what seems to be taking place.

bowener
12-09-2007, 04:01 AM
I think that's part of the problem to be honest. He plays so balls-out all the time, he ends up getting hurt. I was afraid of this last year.

Thats funny, because when i play with my balls out i always end up getting hurt too.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2007, 04:04 AM
Thats funny, because when i play with my balls out i always end up getting hurt too.

That's because you don't know how to protect your balls.

BigMeatballDave
12-09-2007, 06:49 AM
You really think giving a corner 70 million dollars is a good idea when we are years away?There you are. You've been talking shit about Hali all season, while many here have said he's playing hurt. Now, admit you were wrong, bitch.

BigMeatballDave
12-09-2007, 07:51 AM
In all the praise for Hali playing hurt is the fact that he is 29th at his position (LDE) against the run. He is a major factor why the defense has gotten run over the last couple of games and we have lost.

I am glad that he is tough, but his actions might actually be hurting the team instead of helping it..., and its the responsibility of the coaches to be aware of that too. Also, if we dont have anyone else (Turk, Wilk, PS guy) that can be better than 29th against the run at LDE (since they arent seeing the field) than that needs to be addressed too.

Think about it at any other position. Do you want a kicker to go out an attempt kicks with a broken foot? or a rb (LJ) playing with a broken foot? or a QB playing with a concussion? Or a WR (kennison) that cant get seperation because of a hamstring injury?

If their best effort isnt as good as the backup that would have played instead, and if their actions results in a loss, than that isnt good enough and isnt something to be commended IMO.

This is a team effort afterall. Hali doesnt want a backup to take his spot. IMO, those actions are not best for the team.Well said, Mecca. :rolleyes: Ultimately, its Herm's decision to play Hali. Hali is a football player, if he thinks he can go, he will. Trashing him because he is playing hurt is stupid.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-09-2007, 09:08 AM
We shouldn't make any moves until 2012!

Smed1065
12-09-2007, 09:32 AM

I feel it would be Page instead of bust Pollard.

Rasputin
12-09-2007, 09:55 AM
In all the praise for Hali playing hurt is the fact that he is 29th at his position (LDE) against the run. He is a major factor why the defense has gotten run over the last couple of games and we have lost.

I am glad that he is tough, but his actions might actually be hurting the team instead of helping it..., and its the responsibility of the coaches to be aware of that too. Also, if we dont have anyone else (Turk, Wilk, PS guy) that can be better than 29th against the run at LDE (since they arent seeing the field) than that needs to be addressed too.

Think about it at any other position. Do you want a kicker to go out an attempt kicks with a broken foot? or a rb (LJ) playing with a broken foot? or a QB playing with a concussion? Or a WR (kennison) that cant get seperation because of a hamstring injury?

If their best effort isnt as good as the backup that would have played instead, and if their actions results in a loss, than that isnt good enough and isnt something to be commended IMO.

This is a team effort afterall. Hali doesnt want a backup to take his spot. IMO, those actions are not best for the team.

I thought they were going with a rotation system? Aren't they, but I can't tell havn't seen much of Jimmy Wilkerson or Turk & Tank.
I love Tamba think he's great, but if he's playing hurt the Coaches need to give him less reps so when he is in their he can be more agressive and more of an impact.

StcChief
12-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Hali is developing well. Seemed like he wasn't full tilt.
Experience and growing thru pain.

Hats off to a good but not great year.

Shox
12-09-2007, 10:35 AM

WOW. I can't believe this comment. We need a lot more guys playing "balls-out" not less. Injuries are part of the game. Anybody who has played football at any level knows playing hard is the best way to avoid injury. Injuries seem to find you when you don't go all out.

Give me 52 more guys like Hali any day.

HemiEd
12-09-2007, 10:38 AM
I hope he gets healthy, turns into a Pro Bowler and gets comfortable wearing shoes. I don't anyone would ever question his effort and dedication.

milkman
12-09-2007, 11:05 AM
WOW. I can't believe this comment. We need a lot more guys playing "balls-out" not less. Injuries are part of the game. Anybody who has played football at any level knows playing hard is the best way to avoid injury. Injuries seem to find you when you don't go all out.

Give me 52 more guys like Hali any day.

I don't disagree with you, overall.

But remember, Eric Hicks was every bit as hard working.

stonedstooge
12-09-2007, 11:13 AM
We let Herm coach every week and he has permenant brain damage :banghead:

el borracho
12-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Would you like to sign Jared Allen? He will probably cost 70 million dollars, as well and we are years away.

Demonpenz
12-09-2007, 11:40 AM
If the reason hali is playing like garbage he should be sat. THat is on the coaches to see him sucking it up though.

Mecca
12-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Would you like to sign Jared Allen? He will probably cost 70 million dollars, as well and we are years away.

Generally positions like Corner drop off the face of the earth with no warning when your speed goes you're done...it happens at WR too. Lineman can usually be productive for a longer period.....

It's also great that someone thinks I've said Allen sucks in the last year...hell I never said he sucks to begin with. People need to learn reading comprehension.

Whether hurt or not I judge Hali for his performance and right now it is pretty average, especially when you factor in everyone runs at him now with no problem.

I remember how much shit I took for saying I'd rather have Cromartie than Hali........see how that worked out?

Easy 6
12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Look for Tamba to rebound in a big way next year, he's only going to get better...another year to fill out, get healthy, improve his technique & begin to master the mental game.

I wont be hopping off the Tamba Train anytime soon.

Mecca
12-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Hali will probably resemble what he was his rookie year most years......let's remember when he came out he was considered maxed out and pretty much a complete player without much upside, so don't expect him to break out, he is what he is.

Direckshun
12-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Tamba's been fairly productive for an injured guy. 5 sacks and a couple FF.

We need a third DE, though. Wilkerson's done nothing.

milkman
12-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Hali will probably resemble what he was his rookie year most years......let's remember when he came out he was considered maxed out and pretty much a complete player without much upside, so don't expect him to break out, he is what he is.

You are probably right, and I never disagreed with you about Hali's upside.

However, I still think that Hali was a better pick than Cromartie.

Not because Hali will be a better player, but because Hali will be a more consistent performer, and likley last in the league longer.

I also believe that corner has been devalued by the rules, and as time passes will continue to be devlued.

Mecca
12-09-2007, 12:05 PM
You are probably right, and I never disagreed with you about Hali's upside.

However, I still think that Hali was a better pick than Cromartie.

Not because Hali will be a better player, but because Hali will be a more consistent performer, and likley last in the league longer.

I also believe that corner has been devalued by the rules, and as time passes will continue to be devlued.

We'll see but right now Cromartie leads the leagues in picks and is an absolute playmaker star in the making.

Pablo
12-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I remember how much shit I took for saying I'd rather have Cromartie than Hali........see how that worked out?I'll take a completely healthy Hali over Cromartie any day.

Great play starts up front on both sides of the ball.

And if Hali's been playing hurt, that shows his toughness, but there's only so much to be said for being tough. I don't want either one of our future DE's out there agitating injuries week in and week out.

milkman
12-09-2007, 12:07 PM
We'll see but right now Cromartie leads the leagues in picks and is an absolute playmaker star in the making.

A couple of those picks were gifts that even your grandmother could come up with.

Remeber, Greg Wesley has led the Chiefs in picks for a number of years.

Mecca
12-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I'll take a completely healthy Hali over Cromartie any day.

Great play starts up front on both sides of the ball.

And if Hali's been playing hurt, that shows his toughness, but there's only so much to be said for being tough. I don't want either one of our future DE's out there agitating injuries week in and week out.

I think you're nuts but hey to each their own.

I mentioned this debate to a friend of mine, Bills fan. And he gave me this look like he couldn't believe anyone would take Hali over Cromartie at any point.

Cromartie just makes plays........I think I'll take that over Hali at his best which is an above average DE without much upside. Cromartie's upside is best corner in the league.

Easy 6
12-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Lets also remember that NOT ONE of our guys will EVER be as good as the other teams guy.

Mecca
12-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Lets also remember that NOT ONE of our guys will EVER be as good as the other teams guy.

What, that's honesty. Hali isn't some star out there, he's a solid player. And the Chiefs are about to be 4-12 do you really think they have players that sit at the tops of their position in the league outside of 2 or 3?

unothadeal
12-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Interception - Cromartie

Mecca
12-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Also I'll add this....Hali is a solid good player you start on a team.......a player who compliments the stars you have on a championship team....

To me that's the difference in Cromartie and Hali...Cromartie can be one of those stars and basically already is..Hali is one of the good guys that goes around them.

Easy 6
12-09-2007, 12:20 PM
What, that's honesty. Hali isn't some star out there, he's a solid player. And the Chiefs are about to be 4-12 do you really think they have players that sit at the tops of their position in the league outside of 2 or 3?

Is Cromartie a star out there yet???...nope & he doesnt sit at or near the top of his position yet either. When he makes a Pro Bowl you can make that claim, but its not gonna be this year.

But you are just SOOO sure that his shadow eclipses Tamba's at this point, it doesnt, they are both young & have a lot of growing up to do yet.

Pablo
12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I think you're nuts but hey to each their own.

I mentioned this debate to a friend of mine, Bills fan. And he gave me this look like he couldn't believe anyone would take Hali over Cromartie at any point.

Cromartie just makes plays........I think I'll take that over Hali at his best which is an above average DE without much upside. Cromartie's upside is best corner in the league.Like Milkman said, look for the DB's role in this league to become more and more minimalized. By the time Cromartie is halfway into his career, they'll be calling PI every time a guy sneezes at a WR.

Cromartie has a pretty good supporting cast on that defense right now that allows him to make some big plays and take chances. Hali may be maxed-out as you say, but there are a ton of DE's who would love to have the talent this kid has. If his maxed out rookie season produced 8 sacks and 1 INT, coupled with 58 tackles, that's good enough with JA on the other end. Not to mention the consistent pressure he provides.

I'm not big on DB's, kind of like I'm not big on RB's either. If you have a good enough line on both sides of the ball, either one will shine.

Mecca
12-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Is Cromartie a star out there yet???...nope & he doesnt sit at or near the top of his position yet either. When he makes a Pro Bowl you can make that claim, but its not gonna be this year.

But you are just SOOO sure that his shadow eclipses Tamba's at this point, it doesnt, they are both young & have a lot of growing up to do yet.

Those 9 INT's and record setting TD return say he's getting there...

I could tell you Jared Allen hasn't made a pro bowl yet if you wanna go there..why do those arguments fly until it involves a Chiefs player?

Also I think those rules make elite DB's more important because it's harder to cover. It's not like a RB where he's done in 3 years, they just make the position harder to play.

Easy 6
12-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I could tell you Jared Allen hasn't made a pro bowl yet if you wanna go there.

We both know he'll go this year.

Mecca
12-09-2007, 12:33 PM
We both know he'll go this year.

Cromartie could go for all we know...he does lead the league in picks.

Pablo
12-09-2007, 12:35 PM
It's highly probable that they'll both go.

Which is good for the AFC side, like they'll really need any help anyhow.

Demonpenz
cromartie just had another pick

Pablo
Just out of curiousity Mecca..would you take Cromartie over JA?

Mecca
12-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Just out of curiousity Mecca..would you take Cromartie over JA?

That's a really tough call, that's like 1A and 1B.....that to me is 2 of the most important things on defense. An end that can get double digit sacks and the elite corner.....

Well at least people now know why I was so hard on wanting Cromartie before that draft.

Pablo
12-09-2007, 12:42 PM
That's a really tough call, that's like 1A and 1B.....that to me is 2 of the most important things on defense. An end that can get double digit sacks and the elite corner.....

Well at least people now know why I was so hard on wanting Cromartie before that draft.And a run-stopping LB. Which I think he have in DJ.

stevieray
12-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Only an idiot would compare a DB to a DE...well, this teams CB is better than that teams DE... :rolleyes:

Sophmore slump, nothing more, nothing less..

milkman
12-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Only an idiot would compare a DB to a DE...well, this teams CB is better than that teams DE... :rolleyes:

Sophmore slump, nothing more, nothing less..

He is simply not saying that.

he's saying that Cramartie is a better player right now, and has more potential at his position than Hali.

He's right.

Cromartie is a better football player.

Hali, however, was a better pick for the Chiefs.

stevieray
12-09-2007, 01:13 PM
He is simply not saying that.

he's saying that Cramartie is a better player right now, and has more potential at his position than Hali.

He's right.

Cromartie is a better football player.

Hali, however, was a better pick for the Chiefs.

more potential for what? int's? like the one that came right to him after EK fell down?

better football player? in what way? big difference between engaging 300 pound lineman and covering a wide receiver...

has he played through injuries all year...?

This is just another example of using another player to dog the chiefs.

milkman
12-09-2007, 01:20 PM
more potential for what? int's? like the one that came right to him after EK fell down?

better football player? in what way? big difference between engaging 300 pound lineman and covering a wide receiver...

has he played through injuries all year...?

This is just another example of using another player to dog the chiefs.

He's saying that Cromartie is a playmaker, and that Hali is a solid player.

He's not using Cromartie to dog Hali.

He was pimping Cromartie before the draft, and wasn't in the drfat Hali corner.

He has been consitent about this since long before either player was drafted.

Cromartie has the potential to devlop into one of the best corners, if not the best, in the league.

Hali doesn't have that same potential at DE.

stevieray
12-09-2007, 01:39 PM
He's saying that Cromartie is a playmaker, and that Hali is a solid player.

He's not using Cromartie to dog Hali.

He was pimping Cromartie before the draft, and wasn't in the drfat Hali corner.

He has been consitent about this since long before either player was drafted.

Cromartie has the potential to devlop into one of the best corners, if not the best, in the league.

Hali doesn't have that same potential at DE.

You have no clue how either players career will end up.

Big deal...it's crying over supposedly spilt milk...It's no different than any other Chief thread. Mention any Chief, and there is always another player in the league who is better. It's BS. Croamtarie has nothing to do with Tamba Hali. It's chickenshit monday morning QBing.

JohnnyV13
12-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Its not like the chiefs had the choice between Hali and Cromartie. San Diego took Cromartie one pick before KC had a chance to draft.