PDA

View Full Version : Blazing Saddles on AMC

gblowfish
12-09-2007, 10:15 AM
AMC had Blazing Saddles enhanced version on last night, with interesting facts and such in a box below the movie. Here's 12 cool things I didn't know:

1) The original title was "Tex X." Changed at the 11th hour to "Blazing Saddles."
2) When Frankie Laine sang the opening song, he had no idea the movie was a western parody. He thought it was serious.
3) In the church town meeting scene after the town had been attacked (women stampeded, cattle raped) Anne Bancroft is an extra. She doesn't speak, you can see her in the second row. She was Mel's wife for many years. She's gone now.
4) The School Marm who read the letter to the governor (displeased that the GOV sent a black Sheriff) was Carol Arthur, who is Dom DeLuise's wife.
5) The part of "Jim The Waco Kid" was turned down by Johnny Carson and John Wayne. Gig Young was originally cast in the role, but he showed up drunk on the first day of shooting and couldn't hang upside down from his jail cell bunk. He started foaming at the mouth and nose,and he was taken out by ambulance. Gene Wilder was at the time busy writing Young Frankenstein, and filled in at the last minute when Mel begged him to save the movie. Gene flew to LA on a Saturday, took horseback riding lessons Sunday, shot the jail scene Monday. The rest is history.
6) After the movie came out, Mel got boxes and boxes of product from the Raisinettes people, thankful for Hedley Lamarr plugging the product.
7) Sheriff Bart's part was actually written with Richard Pryor in mind, but the studio wouldn't bankroll the movie if Richard was the lead. He was deemed too unstable at the time. A year later Pryor got a six picture deal from Universal, the first film was "Silver Streak" with Gene Wilder as his sidekick.
8) The guy who was all lathered up when the bath house was torn down, and the guy who introduces Lilly Von Schtupp was the same guy, actor Patrick Campbell.
9) The Warner Bros CEO had a viewing of the film and told Mel to remove the Farting, the cowboys beating up a woman, the N-Word and the horse violence (Mongo hits a horse). Mel had final cut in his contract, and didn't change a thing. Otherwise the movie would have been ruined.
10) John Wayne turned down the part of Jim, The Waco Kid (see #5). Privately, he told Mel he thought the movie was too dirty, but that "He'd be the first in line to see it when it came out."
11) Blazing Saddles premiered at a drive in movie theater in LA, and 100 cows were brought in for atmosphere.
12) My favorite: Mel became famous for his balls in making this movie. But he was pressured to cut maybe the funniest line in the whole movie, which he removed in the final edit. When Lilly is in the dark seducing Sheriff Bart, and asks if his people are "gifted," He unzips, and she says "It's TWUE....IT'S TWUE!" The line he cut was Bart's reply: "I'm sorry to shatter your illusions Lilly, but you're sucking on my arm."

Read up on the Movie here:

http://tinyurl.com/27d3bh

siberian khatru
12-09-2007, 10:23 AM
AMC sucks donkey balls.

They show Blazing Saddles and Animal House, and cut the ever-living hell out of them -- not just lines of dialogue, but entire scenes.

What's the use? If a movie is too risque for broadcast, then just don't show it.

Deberg_1990
12-09-2007, 10:28 AM
AMC sucks donkey balls.

They show Blazing Saddles and Animal House, and cut the ever-living hell out of them -- not just lines of dialogue, but entire scenes.

What's the use? If a movie is too risque for broadcast, then just don't show it.

Agreed. The rarely show films in widescreen as well (Blazing Saddles is criminally cropped on TV)

Im really digging the HD Movie channel lately. They have been showing alot of old Hitchcock films.

the Talking Can
12-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Funniest movie ever. My favorite.

And yes, they cut out the good stuff on tv.

"Oh Boys!"
"Where are all the white women at?"

Wilder is a genius actor.

HC_Chief
12-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Funniest movie ever. My favorite.

And yes, they cut out the good stuff on tv.

"Oh Boys!"
"Where are all the white women at?"

Wilder is a genius actor.

Agreed on all points. My favorite comedy! :thumb:

What a year... Blazing Saddles & Young Frankenstein (that's Fraunkensteen!)? Mel Brooks peaked early.

Adept Havelock
12-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Possibly my favorite comedy ever, and it's unwatchable when it's cut like AMC does.

Count Zarth
12-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I am using the theme song from Blazing Saddles for a highlight film this year. :D

Sfeihc
12-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Herm as Sheriff Bart?

Adept Havelock
12-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I am using the theme song from Blazing Saddles for a highlight film this year. :D

Wouldn't "Send in the Clowns" be more appropriate?