PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Possible Baseball Lockout

bkkcoh
07-17-2001, 01:11 PM
I sure hope the players and owners can work out some type of agreement for baseball's benefit. If the owners lokc-out the players next spring, I believe it will have a real negative effect on the fans.

this is of course assuming that you are a fan now.

Iowanian
07-17-2001, 01:21 PM
I'm sick of overpaid multi-millionaires crying about unfair wages and profits......when its tough for the "average" fan to attend more than a game or two because of the costs....

I'd like to see revenue sharing and a salary cap in BB.

~Glad to having fishing to make me not care.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
07-17-2001, 01:21 PM
Trouble is this poll presupposes I'm currently a fan.

After MLB went on strike and cost all of us fans the World Series, I've been on strike from MLB. I'll support the farm teams around here. I've seen a lot of good baseball at Bowie (AA) and Fredrick (A), but unless I happen to win free tickets at work, I have NO intent of buying any Orioles tickets while I live here in Baltimore.

Nothing but a bunch of greedy bastages getting paid way too damn much to play a kids game. Hell, you got guys who hit .200 lifetime making more a season than the entire Cardinals 68 WS team got combined these days.

Unless MLB comes up with a revenue-sharing plan and a salary cap, the game will bankrupt itself eventually. Hell, the average person in Baltimore can't afford to take his kids to a Saturday game.... For $10, I can get seats right behind the Bowie dugout. I can't even buy nosebleed seats for that at OPaCY.

Pfeah on the whole damn game.

Lightning Rod
07-17-2001, 01:25 PM
I grew up a baseball fan. I think it was in my genetic code. My grandfather played one season in the majors and my dad played semi-pro which was kinda like the minors in the old days. I spent all of my summers as a kid playing baseball. The Negro league Baseball Museum here in KC is one of my clients and a very cool place to visit. I highly recommend it to any BB fan.
The last Strike they had left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I am not nearly the fan I once was. The fact that the Royals have stunk for 10 years doesn't help either. I do not think I am by any stretch of the imagination alone. IMHO a lock-out would put several more nails in the coffin of MLB. They better work this out.

old_geezer
07-17-2001, 01:31 PM
Actually, this is a mis-statement since I'm not a fan of baseball right now. Seems like a long time ago when the last work stoppage occured. I can't remember when it was nor do I care.

I do remember that I was an avid fan of baseball at the time and followed the Royals closely (although my favorite team was the Dodgers - a holdover from following them when they were in Brooklyn). As the summer drug on and I spent more and more time away from the game, I missed it less and less. When the strike was finally settled I refused to watch for awhile cause I was still miffed and wanted to show my anger by boycotting baseball.

After a period of time I drifted back to turning on a game now and then, but it was too late. I can never watch even 1/2 of an inning without turning to something else - even if it's the World Series or All-Star Game. I am bored with its slow pace and lack of stars who stay in one place for any length of time. If baseball strikes again they will probably create many more ex-fans just like me. Personally, I could give a big rat's behind.

seclark
07-17-2001, 01:43 PM
i got mad and bitched the last work stoppage...said i was no longer a fan.
i'm sorry to say though, if my team does well enough to go to the post season, i'll watch and root for them. also, when i'm in kc, or st.louis, i'll kick out the cash and go to a game(beats a business mtg).

so i guess what i'm saying is, as long as i'm stupid enough to kick out $5 for a cup of warm bud light, i shouldn't gripe. i'm adding to the problem the same as the players and owners
sec
(i cant remember ever getting beaned in a game, but the guys on the team said it happened a few times)

TEX
07-17-2001, 01:59 PM
Really could care less about baseball...:cool:

Joe Seahawk
07-17-2001, 03:02 PM
I really dont blame the players...It's idiots like the Texas owner that are killing the game...

Revenue sharing should happen, Salary cap will never fly IMO

CanadaKC
07-17-2001, 04:09 PM
I'm not a fan of any sport that doesn't have a salary cap or revenue sharing. It all reminds me of what's happening in Hollywood these days. Last year, John Travolta was paid 33-million by Paramount to to star in "Lucky Numbers"...which turned out to be even more of a monumental flop than his vanity project,
"Battlefield Earth". Paramount budgeted the film at 97.5 million,
which means more than a third of the budget went to Travolta alone. The movie ended up making just over 15-million.
Top Actors, and top Athletes, have to stop their outrageous salary demands. Someone has to tell their agents to get lost.

RedandGold
07-17-2001, 05:50 PM
I lost interest in baseball during the last strike and have only been to one game since. I was in St. Louis, and it was worth it to see McGwire in action. Regardless of whether you are a Cardinals fan or not, he represents the attitude that I wished that more players shared. It's a shame that the salarys have gotten so out of hand, because it's ruining the game.

When the entire structure of the league favors only a select few teams (i.e. NY Yankees), it ruins the spirit that made baseball "America's Game". If they go on strike again, they will do nothing but further alienate the fans that have finally started coming back to the game.

kcred
07-17-2001, 05:57 PM
I almost hope they do. The last work stoppage just about killed it, and another one finishes the job. I blame both sides, but other than providing a very good life for himself, family and 3 or 4 more generations, how much is enough. A quarter billion dollars, nuts. Good point about the film industry, athletes monitor there salaries in comparison. I know as Chief fans we get upset with the manipulations of the salary cap, but what goes around comes around, and eventually all teams are on a level playing field. A good hard cap is needed, if the owners can't control themselves, the baseball should.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-17-2001, 06:04 PM
I voted, no. But do I count, because IMO baseball is stupid?

:D

CG

its too slow for me:eek:

AJKCFAN
07-17-2001, 06:32 PM
Wish the question was different... as in, if baseball doesn't have a work stoppage, will you still be a fan?

As a lifelong Royals fan, I'm wishing every waking day for David Glass to lead the small market rebellion aginst the big market. Yes, the Twins, Mariners, and others have disspelled the notion that it's impossible to compete as a small market team, but just like the Miracle Mets in 1969 were a one year fluke, these teams will be too.

The fact that the Royals have compiled players such as Damon, Dye, and Sweeney and more and have to peddle them off once their salary gets high, is an outrage.

Baseball needs desperately a system where the Royals can have a chance to win. In the 80's, every team in baseball was capable of winning and now it's only relegated to a handful of teams. That blows.

So, if the status quo remains, the Royals will remain buried as an also-ran. This can't be. If so, 1985 will be the last postseason appearance made by the Royals in a long, long time.

October at the K used to be an annual rite, remember? Now, the only thing the K is used for in October is to provide extra parking for Chiefs games....

Gimme a lockout, PLEASE!!!!

California Injun
07-17-2001, 07:41 PM
After the World Series strike and watching one season of the local Little League PAC committees inhibit my two young boys from enjoying the game, this fan has checked out for good.

MLB depends upon the next generation to support its game and my influence on both sons will be ANY sport except baseball.

Besides they need the off-seasons to focus on Football and then Basketball.

Football practice for the Jr. Redskins starts this weekend!!!!

(I've already told them the Redskins are the first football step before graduating to a REAL team..... THE CHIEFS!!) :cool:

Chiefs Pantalones
07-17-2001, 07:49 PM
Good parenting, Cali!:D

CG

baseball is "Americas past time" that is totally true, IMO. Because it is just that, "the past"

CG

these opinions are brought to you by Cody Goldizen and any opinons used without permission or the consent of Cody Goldizen will be punished:D ;)