PDA

View Full Version : NFBT: Any Macromedia Dreamweaver Guru's in the House?

Otter
07-17-2001, 09:23 PM
If so please email me at otter@techemail.com.

I have a few simple questions such as how to position a navigation bar where you want it and other layout questions.

I'm dyin' here.

I have no good manuals and I'm finding a bunch of junk on the web with google searches.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Otter
07-18-2001, 08:58 AM
One last attempt for insight.

Sorry about the self-serving post.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
07-18-2001, 09:08 AM
Otter,

I've never played with Dreamweaver before, (strictly an HTML kind of guy), but if you can get to the library or a decent bookstore, I'd recommend the SAMS "Teach Yourself X in 24 Hours" books. Even though it's written for the beginner web designer, I still keep mine handy and refer to it often.

The O'Reilly books are also <b>VERY</b> good, but I don't know if one is available for Dreamweaver or not.

Also, if you're checking out websites, search for Web Designer Group (WDG), Web Designer Virtual Library (WDVL) or an e-magazine called Webmonkey. They have a lot of good ideas there as well as many tutorials. Perhaps they have something on Dreamweaver there.

Also, did you check the Macromedia site? I can't believe there's no support there. :rolleyes:
Actually, I can believe it, but it's highly disappointing if correct. :mad:

If you need more assistance, I'll do what I can.

KCGannonStalker
07-18-2001, 09:13 AM
Your page should essentially be a large table, with the navigation bar contained in a cell with a border=0, which contains another table (your nav bar) with border and cells=0.

The positioning of the navbar will also be easier if you're in Layout View as opposed to Standard View.

HC_Chief
07-18-2001, 09:55 AM
Otter - you can place the bar in a table - as KCGS stated, or you can use an ABSOLUTE...place the object anywhere on the screen.

For more info on absolutes, try help in Dreamweaver.

Both ways will work, I personally prefer absolutes because you're working object-oriented rather than with tables or frames(YECCCHHHH!!!!) ;)

Otter
07-18-2001, 12:07 PM
Thanks Guys.

If I tried to make a living designing web pages at this point in my career, I'd starve.

AS/400 Programmer (or green-screen boy as HC_Chief puts it) and web designer are two very different ball parks and I have alot to learn.

I tried putting the location bar in a table but it would not let me. Here's what I did:

-defined the table
-positioned the cursor inside the table
-clicked on the insert navigation bar button

am I on the right track??? Close???

KCGannonStalker
07-18-2001, 01:04 PM
Which version of Dreamweaver are you using?

DaWolf
07-18-2001, 01:06 PM
I know what you're saying. I just got it and will be trying to get into it this weekend. I'm going to look through some of the tutorials here (http://www.find.com.au/tutorials/macromedia/dreamweaver/ ) and the one at the Macromedia site, but I'll probably end up going out and buying a book...

Otter
07-18-2001, 01:10 PM
Using version 4.0.

When I get home from work I'll do a screen shot to illustrate the problem.

Otter
07-18-2001, 05:32 PM
I'm going to back off on the illustration.

On the way home from work I stopped at BN and purchased Sams guide to Dreamweaver 4. Hopefully it will help.

After years of dealing with traditional code and no graphics what so ever I'm having a tough time picking up on the web designing aspect of programming. It doesn't even seem like "programming" to me.

For example:

Awhile back I purchased Flash 4 software and the Flash 4 Bible and gave up after about a week of trying to figure out how to configure animations in the timeline and dealing with objects as an icon instead of seeing the defined code. Very frustrating.

If nothing else, pure stubbornness will get me through Dreamweaver. Flash still remains a mystery, but that’s on the back burner until I get a better understanding of Dreamweaver in hopes that will make Flash easier to understand.

Thanks again for the help offers but its just too hard to try to explain the exact problem over the BB.

Chiefless
07-18-2001, 06:26 PM
I am a novice by all accounts, but here's what I've picked up about Dreamweaver...

If you haven't already, I recommend learning the actual code first. Dreamweaver is drag & drop, but it does actually write HTML code (It's all about tables). Having a (VERY) basic knowlege of the code helped me understand what was happening when I draged & dropped.

Dreamweaver also has a floating window that allows you to view and edit the source-code wile building files as well...again, very useful for cleaning up bogus code.

Dreamweaver's strength is in maintenance. Learn to use templates! Will save loads of time if you're building a big site. Revising a template will automatically update every file "attached" to the template.

Being able to syncronize your local files with your host is VERY useful.

Hope this helps...

BroncoFan
07-18-2001, 10:54 PM
otter,

You may have gotten help already by now, but If not, I would call my self a dreamweaver guru. I have used that damn program every day for the last 2 1/2 years. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to help.

I pretty much know all the quirks as well as all the quick answers. To be honest, It is a very simple program, you just need to kind of jump in with both feet.

sofiesty
07-20-2001, 12:43 AM
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan,

Thanks for the recommendation of the Sams manual. It's a big help and very well written.

You think for the cost of the software they’d provide a decent manual.

KCGannonStalker,

Your notation towards Adobe Dreamweaver® has been noted.

If you don't give Richard legs at least as long as Cartman's, you'll be hearing from my lawyers!