PDA

View Full Version : KS attorney general in sex scandal

Cochise
12-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Extramarital affair leaves Kansas attorney general’s job in doubt
By DAVID KLEPPER and JASON GERTZEN
The Kansas City Star

TOPEKA | News of a sexual harassment complaint against Attorney General Paul Morrison touched off a firestorm in Kansas political circles Sunday, ranging from cautious support to calls for impeachment.

Morrison acknowledged having an affair with a former employee in the Johnson County district attorney’s office, but he denied harassing her.

Morrison also denied her allegations that he tried to use the relationship to obtain sensitive information about an abortion investigation by his successor, Phill Kline. Morrison said he never tried to influence ongoing cases.

Several lawmakers said Sunday that while the affair and alleged sexual harassment were troubling, it was the accusation that Morrison tried to meddle with Kline’s office that could prompt the Legislature to get involved.

“If it turns out factually that the attorney general attempted to interfere with the D.A.’s office in a criminal case, that will have serious consequences,” said Rep. Arlen Siegfreid, an Olathe Republican. “If that kind of activity is going on, it violates everything I know about the ethics of the bar.”

Even some political allies expressed disappointment at the revelations.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius issued a statement saying that she was “saddened, troubled, and extremely disappointed by reports of Paul Morrison’s behavior.”

“Like the people of Kansas, I take allegations of sexual harassment or a hostile work environment very seriously,” she wrote. “This dispute will be evaluated by the appropriate authorities, who will sort out the facts. I continue to have confidence Paul Morrison’s skills and prosecutorial experience qualify him to fulfill his duties as attorney general of Kansas.”

Officials in Morrison’s office said he had no plans to resign.

Morrison acknowledged having an affair with Linda Carter, a longtime administration chief in the district attorney’s office. A Johnson County official confirmed that a sexual harassment complaint was filed last month with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

News of the complaint was published Sunday in The Topeka Capital-Journal.

Carter alleges that she and Morrison had a two-year sexual relationship, begun in September 2005, when Morrison was district attorney and Carter’s boss. The two talked about divorcing their spouses and marrying, according to the Capital-Journal article.

The affair, which was carried out in empty government offices and on business trips, lasted until September 2007, Carter said. That was nearly a year after Morrison defeated Kline, the attorney general, and Kline was picked to replace him as district attorney.

Carter said that after Morrison became attorney general, he asked her about Kline’s investigations of an abortion clinic and urged her to write letters on behalf of eight Morrison staffers who were fired by Kline, The Capital-Journal reported.

The Star could not reach Carter on Sunday.

In a written statement, Morrison acknowledged the affair but said many of Carter’s claims were “absolutely false.” He said there was never any sexual harassment of Carter, and he said he never used the relationship to influence investigations.

“My actions caused pain and sadness to many people I love,” he said. “I have been working for the past year to repair the damage this relationship caused to others. … I sincerely apologize for this failing in my personal life.”

banyon
12-10-2007, 01:27 PM
During his successful campaign last year, Morrison faced allegations that he’d drunkenly propositioned another female employee in a bar in 1990. But two federal lawsuits arising from those claims were dismissed in 1992 and 1993, and the accusations backfired on Morrison’s opponents.

According to Carter, her affair with Morrison began in September 2005 and lasted for about two years, as Morrison ran for attorney general and after he took office. Her account said they had sexual encounters in the Johnson County Courthouse and hotels in several Kansas cities and three states.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/dec/10/ag_acknowledges_affair_former_assistant/#comments

Gross. I go in there for court all the time.

KILLER_CLOWN
12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
During his successful campaign last year, Morrison faced allegations that he’d drunkenly propositioned another female employee in a bar in 1990. But two federal lawsuits arising from those claims were dismissed in 1992 and 1993, and the accusations backfired on Morrison’s opponents.

According to Carter, her affair with Morrison began in September 2005 and lasted for about two years, as Morrison ran for attorney general and after he took office. Her account said they had sexual encounters in the Johnson County Courthouse and hotels in several Kansas cities and three states.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/dec/10/ag_acknowledges_affair_former_assistant/#comments

Gross. I go in there for court all the time.

What is the world coming to? I mean does going to court=Hiv test now? I hope you washed your hands after leaving.... ROFL

banyon
12-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Sebelius: Morrison should resign if charges proven trueBy Scott Rothschild

December 10, 2007

Topeka — Gov. Kathleen Sebelius today said if allegations made by a former employee of Attorney General Paul Morrison are true, then Morrison should resign.

“One deals with his conduct as an attorney in the D.A.’s office; the other is as an employer, and I think either one should trigger a resignation,” Sebelius told reporters.

Sebelius was referring to news that Morrison admitted to having a two-year extra-marital affair with former staffer Linda Carter, who has filed a complaint against him with the federal Equal Opportunity Commission.

Sebelius said she was shocked by the development, but said it was Carter’s additional allegations, that if proven, should prompt Morrison to leave office.

In a signed statement obtained by the Topeka Capital-Journal, Carter also accused Morrison of trying to influence a federal lawsuit involving his political opponent, Phill Kline, and of trying to get inside information on Kline’s activities as Johnson County District Attorney.

While admitting to the affair, Morrison has denied Carter’s other allegations.

Carter is the former director of administration for the Johnson County district attorney’s office. Morrison was district attorney for 18 years before switching to the Democratic Party last year to successfully challenge GOP conservative Kline for the attorney general’s job. Johnson County Republicans then picked Kline to take over Morrison’s old job.

Sebelius, who had welcomed Morrison when he switched to the Democratic Party, said she didn’t want to pre-judge Morrison, and noted that while he admitted to having the affair, he denied trying to use Carter to get information about Kline.

Senate Democratic Leader Anthony Hensley of Topeka said Morrison’s credibility had been damaged “but it’s not irreparable.”

He said if Carter’s allegations about Morrison seeking information on Kline through her are true, then Morrison should resign.

But, he said, the legal process must be allowed to gather the facts in the case.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/dec/10/sebelius_morrison_should_resign_if_charges_proven_/

jiveturkey
12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Out with the slime

BIG_DADDY
12-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Who knows what's really going on but this much I do know. You can't be popping your staff in the can and not expect something like this to happen.

gblowfish
12-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't blame him.
Lynda Carter is HOT.
I'd bend her over the witness stand any day!

StcChief
12-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't blame him.
Lynda Carter is HOT.
not SuperWoman Linda Cartner.... not sure of her looks today.

but in the 70s....

Hydrae
12-11-2007, 04:35 PM
So he screws her for two years and shortly after the affair ends she claims sexual harrasment? Sounds like a woman scorned to me.

siberian khatru
12-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't blame him.
Lynda Carter is HOT.

Time to go rent "Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw."

StcChief
12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
So he screws her for two years and shortly after the affair ends she claims sexual harrasment? Sounds like a woman scorned to me.

and he couldn't see that one coming? well he's an attorney. :)

BIG_DADDY
12-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I don't blame him.
Lynda Carter is HOT.
WOW

BIG_DADDY
12-11-2007, 04:50 PM
That kind of reminds me of the club this week. This girl is in there with her big ol rack falling out half see through with detal floss creeping up her ass wearing perfume. She complained to the front desk that some guy was harrassing her. All the guy did was ask her out.

The big thing is you just can't hit on your employees, really stupid.

noa
12-11-2007, 04:53 PM
The big thing is you just can't hit on your employees, really stupid.

Yeah, I don't know how you expect that to turn out OK.

BIG_DADDY
12-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I don't know how you expect that to turn out OK.

Not post Anita Hill anyway. I worked for a big health club chain back then. We went from 2 allegations of sexual harrassment a year for the whole company to 20 something. All kinds women looking for an easy buck after that. I wouldn't interview or even talk to a female employee without another female present in the room. We literally went from the exotic erotic ball being a company function to that in a few months.

SLAG
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
http://kansascitycatholic.blogspot.com/2007/12/notes-from-under-rainbow.html

The newspaper in Topeka had a long story today about a woman's complaint of sexual harassment against the present Kansas attorney general for acts he allegedly committed while the district attorney of Johnson County and as attorney general. The article includes many alleged details of an admitted extra-marital relationship, but that is not why it is mentioned here.

As regular readers of KCC know, this blog has paid attention to the ongoing investigations and litigation against two abortion providers in the Sunflower State. In that context, the following excerpts are interesting. (As for the names mentioned below: the attorney general is Morrison; Ms. Carter is the woman who filed the complaint against him after their relationship ended; the Kline mentioned is the former attorney general who took Morrison's job as Johnson County DA in January of this year.)

Morrison and Carter had an argument in March about Morrison's investigation of Wichita abortion doctor George Tiller. Kline had attempted to charge Tiller with violating the state's abortion statutes, but he was never was able to bring Tiller to trial.

When Morrison became attorney general, he promised to conduct a complete, independent review of the Tiller case. Carter said in her statement that she urged Morrison to charge Tiller.

She also said Morrison alleged Kline's approach to the abortion investigation was "unethical." The argument ended with Morrison storming out of Carter's apartment.

And:

According to Carter, Morrison regularly questioned her about progress by Kline's staff in prosecuting the Planned Parenthood abortion clinic. Kline filed 107 misdemeanor and felony charges against the Johnson County clinic.

In late July or early August, Carter's statement says, Morrison questioned Carter about the funding Kline's staff had spent to hire expert witnesses in the clinic case.

Morrison had previously announced he had found no violation of Kansas law by the Overland Park abortion clinic.

Mr. Morrison has admitted a relationship with Ms. Carter, but has denied her other accusations.

None of that is any of our business, really--whether it is in the paper or not. It is mentioned here for one reason: Let us hope that with such things out of the way diligent and professional investigations can now be had of Dr. Tiller's infamous clinic and Planned Parenthood. These cases have been tried in the media too often, and always to the benefit of Dr. Tiller and Planned Parenthood. The media landscape seems different suddenly.

One grand jury begins its duties tomorrow. The other one soon, I believe. If past is prologue, it should be interesting. But let us hope it is finally effective.

Mr. Laz
12-11-2007, 05:20 PM

she also works for Kline who has been battling Morrison for awhile now.

Kline is a complete POS

Mr. Laz
12-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Posted on Tue, Dec. 11, 2007 10:15 PM

Morrison asks for independent investigation of allegations in sex scandal

By DAVID KLEPPER
The Star’s Topeka correspondent

TOPEKA | Responding to calls for his resignation, Kansas Attorney General Paul Morrison asked Tuesday for an independent investigation of allegations of professional misconduct surrounding a sex scandal.

Morrison said he would ask Stanton Hazlett, Kansas disciplinary administrator, to look into accusations by Linda Carter that he used her to meddle with cases in the office of Johnson County District Attorney Phill Kline.

Hazlett, who works under the state Supreme Court, investigates ethical complaints involving lawyers.

“It is essential that the people of Kansas have confidence in the office of attorney general,” Morrison said in a statement.

Morrison has admitted having an affair with Carter but has denied other allegations, including harassment. He has said he won’t resign.

As an employee of the state’s judicial system, Hazlett is independent of the Legislature, the attorney general’s office and Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. The administrator’s office routinely investigates allegations of lawyer misconduct and can recommend disciplinary actions such as censure and disbarment to the Supreme Court.

A spokesman for Kline indicated that Hazlett’s office might already be investigating the scandal.

“The disciplinary administrator has already been informed of these allegations and the attorney general likely knows this,” Kline spokesman Brian Burgess said in a prepared statement. “Furthermore, the disciplinary administrator does not have criminal or civil jurisdiction.”

The administrator’s office typically investigates once a complaint has been filed. The office does not confirm the existence of open complaints and investigations.

Lawmakers welcomed the investigation, though some questioned whether the administrator could answer every question about Morrison’s conduct. The administrator typically does not handle criminal allegations, and his investigation probably won’t touch on allegations of harassment.

“This would be a relatively narrow investigation,” said Rep. Lance Kinzer, an Olathe Republican and a lawyer. “The allegations are much broader than just merely whether he violated his professional ethics.”

Hazlett could not be reached for comment Tuesday. State offices were closed because of the weather, so he will receive Morrison’s request today.

Morrison said he expected to be exonerated.

“The allegations that I attempted to influence ongoing cases or improperly gain information are absolutely false,” Morrison said. “I will cooperate completely and openly with the disciplinary administrator to resolve this matter once and for all.”

Carter, a longtime employee of the district attorney’s office, filed a sexual harassment complaint about Morrison with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, a federal agency that investigates workplace discrimination complaints. Morrison was her boss until January.

Carter also alleges, according to a report in The Topeka Capital-Journal on Sunday, that Morrison attempted to use her to meddle with open cases in the district attorney’s office under Kline.

Kline became district attorney in January after losing the attorney general office to Morrison. Morrison had been district attorney for 18 years before Kline took over.

Carter alleges that this year Morrison repeatedly asked her to write letters on behalf of eight former employees of the district attorney’s office who filed a lawsuit after Kline fired them. She also alleges that he asked her for sensitive information relating to Kline’s investigation of an Overland Park abortion clinic.

Next page >
The Star’s Diane Stafford, Diane Carroll and Finn Bullers contributed to this report. To reach David Klepper, call 785-354-1388 or send e-mail to dklepper@kcstar.com.

trndobrd
12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
The Discipline Administrator will only investigate within the scope of alleged violations of the Kansas Rules of Professional Conduct for Attorneys. The Administrator rarely digs into criminal or civil claims, only using the results of criminal or civil actions as the basis for ethics violations. For instance, the Disciplinary Administrator will let the local authorities investigate and prosecute drug charges, then base the disbarrment proceedings on the felony conviction.

Morrison admitted to having an affair with an employee, which is not a per se violation of Ethics Rules. The rest of the EEOC claims could be ethics violations. Since it isn't a criminal investigation, Morrison must cooperate fully or risk losing his license.