PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Led Zep's Reunion show...

memyselfI
12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Complete clips from the concert:

Good Times, Bad Times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsHcUwtw5H0
Stairway To Heaven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_JTMuHOQk
The Song Remains The Same
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V2KiBNSgw8&NR=1
Kashmir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZxukPZ0pjA
Whole Lotta Love
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SE_azOraU34
Rock & Roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQLB03euTXQ&NR=1

Guess we now see what mortal immortal Rock Gods look like:

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-12/34204017.jpg

Lonewolf Ed
12-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I saw Page and Plant in KC back in '98, my God, what a great show that was! Half a Led Zeppelin show was still one of the best concerts I have ever attended.

BIG_DADDY
12-10-2007, 03:45 PM
They were very good other than the fact that they didn't play Stairway to Heaven and the show was a fraction of the cost. I know some people going but they are rich beyond belief. I have no idea what that cost them but it couldn't have been cheap.

memyselfI
12-10-2007, 03:47 PM
I saw Page and Plant in KC back in '98, my God, what a great show that was! Half a Led Zeppelin show was still one of the best concerts I have ever attended.

I saw them twice. They were incredible. Jimmy Page is so freakin amazing even at his advanced age. We saw him after the show toting in his grandchild in an infant carrier. LOL.

StcChief
12-10-2007, 04:10 PM
98 Page/Plant in STL Arena
77 LZ Chicago Stadium (old hockey barn)
tough to beat

Demonpenz
12-10-2007, 04:21 PM
pffft strat forever. Suck it page

beavis
12-10-2007, 04:42 PM
They had a lottery over here for tickets, and no one I know was a winner. What a waste. :banghead:

petegz28
12-10-2007, 04:46 PM
O-VER RA-TED

beavis
12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
O-VER RA-TED
My God, you are a douche of epic proportions.

memyselfI
12-10-2007, 04:49 PM
98 Page/Plant in STL Arena
77 LZ Chicago Stadium (old hockey barn)
tough to beat

God, I was 13 then and just getting into LZ. That would have been awesome to see them in '77.

petegz28
12-10-2007, 04:51 PM
My God, you are a douche of epic proportions.

No Bonom...no LZ. End of story.

I'd rather be a douche than an ass wipe.

StcChief
12-10-2007, 04:53 PM
God, I was 13 then and just getting into LZ. That would have been awesome too see them in '77.I was in sophmore college....damn I'm old.

memyselfI
12-10-2007, 04:57 PM
No Bonom...no LZ. End of story.

I'd rather be a douche than an ass wipe.

Bonzo was a huge loss to them and I agree they would never be the same band without him but to say they are over rated with no explanation is really quite clueless.

petegz28
12-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Bonzo was a huge loss to them and I agree they would never be the same bad without him but to say they are over rated with no explanation is really quite clueless.

Jimmy Page. Great writer...average player.
Robert Plant. Lay off the acid guy. Not a great siger but was ok.

All in all I think when I heard they were booed off the stage in KC (assuming that was true) cause they were so wasted and sounded like shit I really never cared for them much.

Stairway to heaven became "the cool song everyone loved". Even dorks who thought there was a guy named "Led Zepplin".

As a person who plays guitar I tend to look at music and bands differently than most who just enjoy music. So that has a lot to do with it as well.

memyselfI
12-10-2007, 05:06 PM

All in all I think when I heard they were booed off the stage in KC (assuming that was true) cause they were so wasted and sounded like shit I really never cared for them much.

Stairway to heaven became "the cool song everyone loved". Even dorks who thought there was a guy named "Led Zepplin".

As a person who plays guitar I tend to look at music and bands differently than most who just enjoy music. So that has a lot to do with it as well.

I hate STH.

The band is a group you either adore or hate. The hatahs can fugg themselves...

:p

BIG_DADDY
12-10-2007, 05:06 PM

I nominate this post into the brain dead hall of shame.

petegz28
12-10-2007, 05:09 PM
And then the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High made everyone think Led Zepplin IV had Kashmir on it. Sorry, at 13 they were just like Ozzy is now. Commercial, over hyped and loved by those who swore against them years ago. All because it is "cool".

BIG_DADDY
12-10-2007, 05:12 PM
And then the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High made everyone think Led Zepplin IV had Kashmir on it. Sorry, at 13 they were just like Ozzy is now. Commercial, over hyped and loved by those who swore against them years ago. All because it is "cool".

petegz28
12-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Led Zepllin was just a bunch of music enjoyed by acid heads and doped up hippies. Hippies I say even!!! :)

trndobrd
12-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Is this that "rock-n-roll" fad that has the kids all worked up?

Cochise
12-10-2007, 05:21 PM
What do you know... petegz28 doesn't like something.

petegz28
12-10-2007, 05:26 PM
What do you know... petegz28 doesn't like something.

I don't dis-like Zepplin at all. I just think they are over-rated.

And the whole "reunion" thing gets old.

It just shows how sucky todays music really is.

Van halen with short hair? Forget it.

Garth Brooks? **** you couldn't hear hi sing half the time cause everyone in the crowd had to show they all knew the words to the song.

So now you will have a buch of people in izods and conservative hair cuts "getting the Led out" 100 years later.

It is just becoming cliche is all.

beavis
12-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Van halen with short hair? Forget it.
... not Van Hagar.

splatbass
12-10-2007, 06:14 PM

I'm a guitar player and bass player (mostly bass these days), have been playing in bands for nearly 30 years, and Led Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time. I look at them from a musician's perspective as well, and still think they were great.

memyselfI
12-10-2007, 06:53 PM

My family knows I have a few things I wish to be sent to the Heavens with...

one of them is my Led Zep collection. I will love them past the day I die. I have 30 years of listening under my belt and nothing in music has come close to enthralling me the way this band has. Though one of my other CDs I'll take along is a YES cd. :)

BIG_DADDY
12-10-2007, 07:04 PM
My family knows I have a few things I wish to be sent to the Heavens with...

one of them is my Led Zep collection. I will love them past the day I die. I have 30 years of listening under my belt and nothing in music has come close to enthralling me the way this band has. Though one of my other CDs I'll take along is a YES cd. :)

Yessongs

BIG_DADDY
12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Yesterdays was awesome too. Wakeman rules!!

BIG_DADDY
12-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Yes brings me back to all kinds of stuff I used to listen to back then like Little Feet

memyselfI
12-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Well the set list included some of their predictable tunes and Stairway. Lots of my favorites didn't make it but then they weren't going to play for a week...

I must say though they nailed a damn fine set list. Outstanding, in fact.

Led Zeppelin reunion: the review
http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/33079

The first opinion from NME.COM's critic at the O2 Arena
2 hours ago

You might think it couldn't possibly live up to expectation but, it transpires, the opposite is in fact true of Led Zeppelin's first public appearance in 19 years.

They seem buoyed by the deafening roars that greet their every twitch tonight - everyone present in the O2 Arena is willing their performance to the realms of greatness. It's almost impossible to be subjective, to not be sucked in.

It takes plant three songs before he offers a cursory "good evening". By the time they've blasted through an incendiary 'Good Times Bad Times', a dramatic 'Ramble On' and the stop start rhythms of Black Dog'. He needn't say anything.

Next They launch into 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' and Zep are smiling at each other, only occupying about six foot of the enormous stage. You wouldn't believe this is a band who haven't played together for so long.

They do No Quarter' and they're locked in as tight as if it were the 1970s. Only the close ups on the screen at the back give away their advanced years.

Launchomh into a version of 'Dazed And Confused' that seems to last forever but every last second is enthralling.

Jimmy Page is lit up by lasers and at the song's climax Robert Plant yells out "Jimmy Page on electric guitar!" in a moment the resonates right back to their first heyday.

'Stairway To Heaven' follows. Ridiculous in many ways yet it is a song that everyone present thought was fated to only be performed by dodgy pub covers bands and not again by its creators.

Jimmy has the double headed guitar, bassist John Paul Jones is sat at a keyboard and Plant - contrary to the pre-gig rumours is singing beautifully.

Playing this well known classic proves a shrewd move as it gently reminds everyone present just which, giant-sized rock band they're dealing with.

The final half an hour is comprised of songs so omnipresent it's hard to make any sort of tangible judgement.

'Kashmir' finishes the main set sounding incredible the band take a bow and they're gone.

Rapturous applause follows as you might expect but its nothing compared to the sheer mania that greets the first encore song 'Whole Lotta Love'. Not many bands have one of those, you see.

The middle section veers into space rock territory any young band would be proud of and when that riff returns its well you know how it goes.

Then Led Zep blast through a second encoure of 'Rock And Roll' - paying tribute to their old mentor and the reason this concert is taking place, Ahmet Ertegun, on the way - and, well again... you know how it goes.

If there were sceptics here tonight - there weren't but just for the sake of argument consider it - Led Zeppelin silenced them and banished any rotten memories of their shambolic Live Aid reunion.

More importantly though, what they have done here tonight is prove they can still perform to the level that originally earned them their legendary reputation.

We can only hope this isn't the last we see of them.
Hamish MacBain, NME Live Editor

Led Zeppelin played:

'Good Times Bad Times'
'Ramble On'
'Black Dog'
'In My Time Of Dying'
'For Your Life'
'Trampled Under Foot'
'Nobody's Fault But Mine'
'No Quarter'
'Since I've Been Loving You'
'Dazed And Confused'
'Stairway To Heaven'
'The Song Remains The Same'
'Misty Mountain Hop'
'Kashmir'
'Whole Lotta Love'
'Rock And Roll'

siberian khatru
12-10-2007, 08:07 PM
No "Ten Years Gone" or "Achilles Last Stand"?

:sulk:

BIG_DADDY
12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
No "Ten Years Gone" or "Achilles Last Stand"?

:sulk:
They have so many good songs there is no way they can play all of them.

Pitt Gorilla
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Even the little bit they showed on the news was awesome.

Third Eye
12-10-2007, 09:58 PM

Jimmy Page was an average guitar player? :shake:

Not even close. Granted, at times the alcohol and other ingested materials may have affected some perfomances, but Jimmy Page was an incredible player. One of the greatest improvisers ever. I do not understand how anyone who claims to play guitar doesn't at least appreciate Page. Have you ever seen any live footage? Tell me one other contemporary of his better than him, other than Jimi, and even that is moderately arguable. Certainly not Richards, Townsend, or Clapton. Fripp, perhaps.

Extra Point
12-10-2007, 10:03 PM
The Presence album had a surprisingly decent number of tunes from which they played. This concert will make for some happy folks next Christmas. Nice grouping of songs.

Halfcan
12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
O-VER RA-TED

In a day when dumb**** fans are paying to see hacks that finished 8th in the 5th season of Idol and paying to see queerbag Bon Jovi-

I would think Zep could get about $500 a ticket and sell out every night.

Halfcan
12-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Well the set list included some of their predictable tunes and Stairway. Lots of my favorites didn't make it but then they weren't going to play for a week...

I must say though they nailed a damn fine set list. Outstanding, in fact.

Led Zeppelin reunion: the review
http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/33079

The first opinion from NME.COM's critic at the O2 Arena
2 hours ago

You might think it couldn't possibly live up to expectation but, it transpires, the opposite is in fact true of Led Zeppelin's first public appearance in 19 years.

They seem buoyed by the deafening roars that greet their every twitch tonight - everyone present in the O2 Arena is willing their performance to the realms of greatness. It's almost impossible to be subjective, to not be sucked in.

It takes plant three songs before he offers a cursory "good evening". By the time they've blasted through an incendiary 'Good Times Bad Times', a dramatic 'Ramble On' and the stop start rhythms of Black Dog'. He needn't say anything.

Next They launch into 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' and Zep are smiling at each other, only occupying about six foot of the enormous stage. You wouldn't believe this is a band who haven't played together for so long.

They do No Quarter' and they're locked in as tight as if it were the 1970s. Only the close ups on the screen at the back give away their advanced years.

Launchomh into a version of 'Dazed And Confused' that seems to last forever but every last second is enthralling.

Jimmy Page is lit up by lasers and at the song's climax Robert Plant yells out "Jimmy Page on electric guitar!" in a moment the resonates right back to their first heyday.

'Stairway To Heaven' follows. Ridiculous in many ways yet it is a song that everyone present thought was fated to only be performed by dodgy pub covers bands and not again by its creators.

Jimmy has the double headed guitar, bassist John Paul Jones is sat at a keyboard and Plant - contrary to the pre-gig rumours is singing beautifully.

Playing this well known classic proves a shrewd move as it gently reminds everyone present just which, giant-sized rock band they're dealing with.

The final half an hour is comprised of songs so omnipresent it's hard to make any sort of tangible judgement.

'Kashmir' finishes the main set sounding incredible the band take a bow and they're gone.

Rapturous applause follows as you might expect but its nothing compared to the sheer mania that greets the first encore song 'Whole Lotta Love'. Not many bands have one of those, you see.

The middle section veers into space rock territory any young band would be proud of and when that riff returns its well you know how it goes.

Then Led Zep blast through a second encoure of 'Rock And Roll' - paying tribute to their old mentor and the reason this concert is taking place, Ahmet Ertegun, on the way - and, well again... you know how it goes.

If there were sceptics here tonight - there weren't but just for the sake of argument consider it - Led Zeppelin silenced them and banished any rotten memories of their shambolic Live Aid reunion.

More importantly though, what they have done here tonight is prove they can still perform to the level that originally earned them their legendary reputation.

We can only hope this isn't the last we see of them.
Hamish MacBain, NME Live Editor

Led Zeppelin played:

'Good Times Bad Times'
'Ramble On'
'Black Dog'
'In My Time Of Dying'
'For Your Life'
'Trampled Under Foot'
'Nobody's Fault But Mine'
'No Quarter'
'Since I've Been Loving You'
'Dazed And Confused'
'Stairway To Heaven'
'The Song Remains The Same'
'Misty Mountain Hop'
'Kashmir'
'Whole Lotta Love'
'Rock And Roll'

Wow what a list!! I was a big fan of Plant/Page-they were awesome in concert. Page still has the chops.

It would be Incredible to see them come back and BURRY Fag Brooks and the Beatles forever in All time sales.

everyone run out and buy MOTHERSHIP-okay!!!

Chiefspants
12-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Man, I got into them at the wrong time, I really started liking them 3 years ago, (I'm fifteen) But man, they were incredible.

JBucc
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
They should do a surprise performance at the Super Bowl halftime. Make it worth watching.

petegz28
12-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Not even close. Granted, at times the alcohol and other ingested materials may have affected some perfomances, but Jimmy Page was an incredible player. One of the greatest improvisers ever. I do not understand how anyone who claims to play guitar doesn't at least appreciate Page. Have you ever seen any live footage? Tell me one other contemporary of his better than him, other than Jimi, and even that is moderately arguable. Certainly not Richards, Townsend, or Clapton. Fripp, perhaps.

Dude, Clapton > Page as a player and blues player. It isn't even close.

Halfcan
12-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Dude, Clapton > Page as a player and blues player. It isn't even close.

Sorry but Alex Lifeson blows them both away in Live performace and also recorded music. :)

petegz28
12-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Sorry but Alex Lifeson blows them both away in Live performace and also recorded music. :)

We will agree to disagree here.

Lonewolf Ed
12-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm a guitar player and bass player (mostly bass these days), have been playing in bands for nearly 30 years, and Led Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time. I look at them from a musician's perspective as well, and still think they were great.

Well, then you obviously are not a musician of Petey's caliber. :)

petegz28
12-10-2007, 10:33 PM

Go stroke yourself.

Halfcan
12-10-2007, 10:45 PM
We will agree to disagree here.

Yep, while I can appreciate Slow hands acoustic work- his playing bores me to tears. Jimi made Clapton burn his guitar-that should tell you something.

Halfcan
12-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Of that class-Pre yardbirds...

I would rank Page, Jimi and Beck way above Slow Hands.

Just saying..

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM

As a pure electric player, Pete is dead on. Not songs or bands, but as a player, Page was below several of his contemporaries. But, Page is definitely a cut above when it comes to acoustic guitar.

1). Jeff Beck absolutely annilates him as a player. Listen to the Jeff Beck Group's "Truth" and "Beck-Ola". Beck plays in the same territory as early Zep and blows him away. His later solo records are amazing. Check out Beck's "Blow By Blow".

2). Early Cream and Derek and the Dominoes are prime examples of Clapton's great playing. It took more than two decades for him to return to form (heroin will do that to you). But his guitar work in Cream is far more technical and tasteful than Page's electric work.

3). Hendrix? Pu-lease. While Hendrix wasn't as accomplished as guitarists that would come in the late seventies and early eighties, his solo work and stylings were a cut above EVERYONE at the time, including Clapton. I don't think you'll find any disagreement amongst Beck, Clapton, Townsend or Page about that.

4). Ritchie Blackmore. Listen to "Machinehead" and "Live in Japan", Highway Star in particular. Page never approached that type of guitar pyro-technics, though Blackmore could definitely venture in the blues, as heard on "Lazy". Blackmore's later work in Rainbow, especially mid-seventies Rainbow solidifies his position as a guitarist well above Page's ability.

5). Peter Frampton. Don't laugh, he was child-prodigy, early on in Herd, then Humble Pie and in his solo career. Very, very well-versed and tasteful player but definitely was capable of shredding (listen to "Lines On My Face on Frampton Comes Alive").

6). Tony Iommi. This man, known as the godfather of metal, could shred. He was a very technical but soulful player in the late 60's and early 70's and defined a generation of guitarists with his playing.

7). Steve Howe. His work on the early "Yes" album, along with the masterpiece "Fragile" is amazing. He's clearly a guitarist's guitarist, capable of playing almost any style.

8). Dickie Betts and Duane Allman. One listen to "Jessica" says it all. They also ventured into the blues quite often and their playing is masterful.

9). Joe Walsh. Throw on Funk 49 and tell me that guy can't play is ass off. Great tone and great phrasing and very tasteful. He could tear it up.

10). Miscellaneous players: Alex Lifeson was a much more technical guitarist who later experimented with tones and textures, but his early work is far more technical than Page ever played. Neal Schon in early Journey was a great, great player who played Woodstock at age 15 with Santana. Skunk Baxter, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour and Al DiMeola were guys from the jazz/rock fusion world who would play circles around Page.

Again, this goes to guitar playing from merely a technical and difficulty aspect.

My list has NOTHING to do with songwriting, production or the accompanying band.

Halfcan
12-10-2007, 11:19 PM

Acoustic

Double Neck

Live

Electric

Chord Progression

Composition

Hands down-the Best Ever!!!

Hell Alex plays Keyboards, sings, plays 6 and 12 string guitars, mandola, mandolin and a freakin Bouzouki on top of all that.

Satriani even bows down to his Greatness!!

memyselfI
12-11-2007, 06:23 AM
I have not read one less than raving review about this show...

which is quite remarkable because Zeppelin has never been critically acclaimed and, in fact, their last two live performances post Bonzo's death were universally panned as sh*t.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It's making me rethink my reluctance to have them tour again. On the one hand, I'm glad their reunion is finally getting as much press time as the Spice Girls. :rolleyes: OTOH, that whole Hannah Montanna ticket thing scares me and if I could not get a ticket to see these guys when some idiot who has just liked them for a couple of years does...

I think I would spontaneously combust. :banghead:

patteeu
12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
I have not read one less than raving review about this show...

which is quite remarkable because Zeppelin has never been critically acclaimed and, in fact, their last two live performances post Bonzo's death were universally panned as sh*t.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It's making me rethink my reluctance to have them tour again. On the one hand, I'm glad their reunion is finally getting as much press time as the Spice Girls. :rolleyes: OTOH, that whole Hannah Montanna ticket thing scares me and if I could not get a ticket to see these guys when some idiot who has just liked them for a couple of years does...

I think I would spontaneously combust. :banghead:

Let's hope they announce a tour forthwith then. :p

BigRedChief
12-11-2007, 09:46 AM
As a pure electric player, Pete is dead on. Not songs or bands, but as a player, Page was below several of his contemporaries. But, Page is definitely a cut above when it comes to acoustic guitar.

1). Jeff Beck absolutely annilates him as a player. Listen to the Jeff Beck Group's "Truth" and "Beck-Ola". Beck plays in the same territory as early Zep and blows him away. His later solo records are amazing. Check out Beck's "Blow By Blow".

2). Early Cream and Derek and the Dominoes are prime examples of Clapton's great playing. It took more than two decades for him to return to form (heroin will do that to you). But his guitar work in Cream is far more technical and tasteful than Page's electric work.

3). Hendrix? Pu-lease. While Hendrix wasn't as accomplished as guitarists that would come in the late seventies and early eighties, his solo work and stylings were a cut above EVERYONE at the time, including Clapton. I don't think you'll find any disagreement amongst Beck, Clapton, Townsend or Page about that.

4). Ritchie Blackmore. Listen to "Machinehead" and "Live in Japan", Highway Star in particular. Page never approached that type of guitar pyro-technics, though Blackmore could definitely venture in the blues, as heard on "Lazy". Blackmore's later work in Rainbow, especially mid-seventies Rainbow solidifies his position as a guitarist well above Page's ability.

5). Peter Frampton. Don't laugh, he was child-prodigy, early on in Herd, then Humble Pie and in his solo career. Very, very well-versed and tasteful player but definitely was capable of shredding (listen to "Lines On My Face on Frampton Comes Alive").

6). Tony Iommi. This man, known as the godfather of metal, could shred. He was a very technical but soulful player in the late 60's and early 70's and defined a generation of guitarists with his playing.

7). Steve Howe. His work on the early "Yes" album, along with the masterpiece "Fragile" is amazing. He's clearly a guitarist's guitarist, capable of playing almost any style.

8). Dickie Betts and Duane Allman. One listen to "Jessica" says it all. They also ventured into the blues quite often and their playing is masterful.

9). Joe Walsh. Throw on Funk 49 and tell me that guy can't play is ass off. Great tone and great phrasing and very tasteful. He could tear it up.

10). Miscellaneous players: Alex Lifeson was a much more technical guitarist who later experimented with tones and textures, but his early work is far more technical than Page ever played. Neal Schon in early Journey was a great, great player who played Woodstock at age 15 with Santana. Skunk Baxter, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour and Al DiMeola were guys from the jazz/rock fusion world who would play circles around Page.

Again, this goes to guitar playing from merely a technical and difficulty aspect.

My list has NOTHING to do with songwriting, production or the accompanying band.
Where's the love for Eddie Van Halen and Angus Young?

Brock
12-11-2007, 09:56 AM

Pete says Jimmy Page is an average player. So no, Pete is about 180 degrees from "dead on".

splatbass
12-11-2007, 12:26 PM

Clearly. :) Last night I took part in an acoustic jam with a bunch of really talented guys and we played some Zep. To a man these guys love Led Zeppelin. But I guess none of us are Pete's caliber of musician....

Chiefnj2
12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
bunch of thieves

Cochise
12-11-2007, 02:25 PM
needs more Gallows Pole

Cochise
12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
and Levee

memyselfI
12-11-2007, 03:35 PM
and Levee

Ditto on Levee
Add Rain Song
add Bring It On Home
and Since I've Been Loving You

But that set list is just about as good as one could hope for. I mean 'In My Time of Dying..'

I'd give up my shoe collection to see that live. I'm talking shoes. That's huge.

memyselfI
12-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Good question since both of those two have survived and thrived since the end of the 80's. Not too many on that list can say the same. Steve Howe can, thank God. Of course Clapton has.

Jimmy reigns superior of all on that list. I mean he might not have been the greatest all around guitarist but I think he had the greatest impact on the genre of any of those mentioned.

Many of them inspired young musicians (including my two) but few of them really impacted them the way Jimmy Page did.

Jenson71
12-11-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm favorite is "Going to California" - is that weird?

Someone told me there's a girl out there...with love in her eyes and flowers...in her haaaiirrr

Robert Plant has an alright little tune with Allison Krause called "Gone Gone Gone". Nothing amazing, but its okay.

DaneMcCloud
12-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Not of Jimmy Page's generation. I based my list on players that began in the mid to late sixties.

DaneMcCloud
12-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Pete says Jimmy Page is an average player. So no, Pete is about 180 degrees from "dead on".

For his generation, Jimmy Page was an average electric player.

I'm not referring to weekend rockstars and the like, I'm comparing him to other well-known players of the day.

And again, not composition, production or the related band. Just guitar playing.

DaneMcCloud
12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I mean he might not have been the greatest all around guitarist

And that was Pete's point. And if it wasn't, it was certainly my point.

From a technical standpoint only.

memyselfI
12-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Clips from the show on Youtube. Freakin awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=led+zeppelin+reunion&search=Search

Photos on Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/17592369/led_zeppelin_returns_photos_from/photo/1/large

memyselfI
12-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Here is a torrent for the show. Hope it stays up until I get off work.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1040951

BigRedChief
12-12-2007, 09:14 AM
AHHHHHH to see Kashmir, Rock and Roll, Black Dog and Whole lotta love etc. live, in person...:rockon:

Halfcan
12-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Complete clips from the concert:

Good Times, Bad Times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsHcUwtw5H0
Stairway To Heaven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_JTMuHOQk
The Song Remains The Same
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V2KiBNSgw8&NR=1
Kashmir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZxukPZ0pjA
Whole Lotta Love
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SE_azOraU34
Rock & Roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQLB03euTXQ&NR=1

Guess we now see what mortal immortal Rock Gods look like:

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-12/34204017.jpg

Videos have been taken off Youtube for Copyright infringement. I guess Zep was going to go broke. :shake:

Brock
12-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Videos have been taken off Youtube for Copyright infringement. I guess Zep was going to go broke. :shake:

I'm sure they had a lot to do with it. :rolleyes:

Third Eye
12-12-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm sure they had a lot to do with it. :rolleyes:
I'm sure they are still quite comfortable, but it is odd that after years of not (or rather extremely rarely) allowing their music to be used in movies or other media, that it is all of a sudden appearing in commercials and such. Don't know if they just had a change of heart, or if they really need the money.

memyselfI
12-13-2007, 03:54 PM

Doubtful. LZ has been a band that has openly supported bootlegs of their shows. I did read they requested the clips be removed. I think they want the public's first glimpse of that show to be well produced and in the form of the dvd they are going to release next year. I bet if the DVD was out now they wouldn't be worried about clips.

As far as their music being in commercials and such. They resisted at first and didn't allow their music even in movies. But not touring and not releasing new material doesn't allow for the easy introduction of your music to new audiences. They used it as a vehicle to keep their music out there.

As it is, ANYTHING they release is platinum in days. Their latest CD release Mothership is their hits remastered. It's number one on Billboard. It debuted at #4.

I think they are doing the reunion thing because in 2008 they will be together 40 years. They lost the 80s to the tragedies that surrounded them. Page and Plant toured in the 90s. Now it's just a good time to do it while they are still able. And they've more than proven that they are a relevant force in the music industry.

Afterall, how many artists can still SELL CDs.

BigRedChief
01-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Page wants to do a Led Zepplin world tour:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22879713/