PDA

View Full Version : Recycling costs more and hurts the environment.

bishop_74
12-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Enjoy!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1444391672891013193&q=Bullshit+duration%3Along&total=46&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Ultra Peanut
12-11-2007, 02:02 AM
i have this fine rebuttal here from south park let me dig it up

tiptap
12-11-2007, 06:16 PM
As a Chemist, I have never thought recycling plastics was saving money. However if we were to go back to glass and use it, quit buying plastic water, (urban water treatment plants give excellent product with the carbon filtration of the Chlorine) we would be doing better. Recycling metals is worthwhile, not just aluminum.

It is important to note that while claiming the government was the problem with recycling it didn't give the same kudos to the government for setting standards. First is restricting burning of trash, the regulation of land fills, removing lead from gas, setting water standards for effluent and much more.

There is no immediate monetary advantage for an industry to follow those regulations. It was governmental involvement that oversees this.

So if the government is 8 billion bad in the recycling it is in the 100's of billions good in clearing up source pollution problems.

StcChief
12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I still recycle Glass, Plastic, Aluminum, Tin cans, Cardboard
Free Newspapers and Phone books (I don't want appearing on my doorstep)

Cochise
12-12-2007, 10:20 AM
As a Chemist, I have never thought recycling plastics was saving money. However if we were to go back to glass and use it, quit buying plastic water, (urban water treatment plants give excellent product with the carbon filtration of the Chlorine) we would be doing better. Recycling metals is worthwhile, not just aluminum.

It is important to note that while claiming the government was the problem with recycling it didn't give the same kudos to the government for setting standards. First is restricting burning of trash, the regulation of land fills, removing lead from gas, setting water standards for effluent and much more.

There is no immediate monetary advantage for an industry to follow those regulations. It was governmental involvement that oversees this.

So if the government is 8 billion bad in the recycling it is in the 100's of billions good in clearing up source pollution problems.

I think this is a very sensible post.

I don't understand the need to buy bottled water here, when as you say, especially after it's run through some sort of filtration (the water in my town has an odd taste right out of the tap) it's indistinguishable from most bottled water - which often comes from public water sources anyway.

The only thing I will say is that when I was traveling in europe basically on little sleep and eating a poor diet (mostly liquid... heh), I found that the bottled water sold over there was great. You can buy Evian or some local brand but it's actually mineral water and not just still water. I know some of those days I felt a lot better than I deserved in the morning after I drank a few of those.

Why someone would buy plain old bottled water for home consumption though, I'll never understand.

banyon
12-12-2007, 10:30 AM
I think this is a very sensible post.

I don't understand the need to buy bottled water here, when as you say, especially after it's run through some sort of filtration (the water in my town has an odd taste right out of the tap) it's indistinguishable from most bottled water - which often comes from public water sources anyway.

The only thing I will say is that when I was traveling in europe basically on little sleep and eating a poor diet (mostly liquid... heh), I found that the bottled water sold over there was great. You can buy Evian or some local brand but it's actually mineral water and not just still water. I know some of those days I felt a lot better than I deserved in the morning after I drank a few of those.

Why someone would buy plain old bottled water for home consumption though, I'll never understand.

There are toxins that the local filtration plant doesn't filter out. With most bottled sources though, you lose the added flouridation. Kids are getting crappy teeth like the Brits lately because their parents are just giving them the bottled stuff.

I stick with a PUR or Brita filter on my tap. It gets the extra crud, but you don't lose the flouride. Best of both worlds. I do like a Pelligrino every once in a while too though.