PDA

View Full Version : Game console question

G-MONEY
12-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I am considering getting one of the new game consoles (Wii, PS3 or XBOX 360) but am not sure which one to get. I mostly play just sports games so which console is best for them? And which one do you personally like?

Fruit Ninja
12-12-2007, 08:37 PM
360 if you want quality games.

ETA til this gets moved to the media center? lol

TinyEvel
12-12-2007, 08:37 PM
PS3 is the future.

The visual clarity is unmatched.

RustShack
12-12-2007, 08:38 PM
I have a PS3, I mostly just play Madden and I love it. I've always been a big Playstation supporter though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
PS3 is the future.

ROFL

Don't let your job cloud your judgement.

Lzen
I have been debating, as well. I guess it depends on what you like. There have been a few threads in the Media Center on this subject. Most suggest that while the PS3 may be the most powerful system, it is hardest for programmers to program games and use that capability. Xbox 360 has a better selection of games than PS3 and it is still comparable to the PS3. Wii? Is that even capable of producing Hi Def? I didn't think it was. Anyhoo, I decided the 360 is the best option.

G-MONEY
12-12-2007, 08:41 PM
But if the selection of games is really a non-factor since I don't play much other than sports games would you still recommend the 360?

Ebolapox
12-12-2007, 08:41 PM
depends on what you DO in video games. the next gen of sports games is, for me, a joke. I mainly use the franchise mode of madden and the 'dynasty' of ncaa. the ps2 is less buggy and less gimmicky than the next gen. I own a 360 and wii as well, though. the 360 is great for actual gaming (ignoring the sports games, the 360's game library is untouchable), and the wii is great for a few titles and 'party' type games.

the only reason I'd get a ps3 is the new ratchet and clank game. I love that series, and a few other playstation exclusive franchises. otherwise, my ps2 and 360 do everything I need from my consoles.

DaFace
12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Wii = GREAT party system, but not as good for single-player games. Not much of a focus on graphics quality. Low price.

360 = Lots of games available, pretty good graphics, great online features, medium price.

PS3 = Awesome graphics, somewhat limited game selection, blu-ray palyer, high price.

That's my impressions of the three anyway.

RustShack
12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
I think PS3 will be huge soon, they are waiting until more people to get them before they make a lot of games, but they still have a lot of the good games, and of course some the other counsels don't have. Not many people had computers when the first came out, now everyone has one. Same with DVD players. The PS3 is far more advanced in about every way. Cheap for a Blu-ray player too! Games are also said to be scratch and smudge proof, but I've never tested it.

Pestilence
12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
PS3 is good because you'll end up getting a Blue Ray player with it.

XBox 360 is good if you like playing online....and the fact that it has a lot of quality games out right now.

The Wii is good if you like being active....and you have kids or a wife that want to play the games with you. Plus it's the least expensive of the bunch.

CoMoChief
I was gonna get a ps3 but went with xbox 360 because the online play is ALOT better and the games are better.

And you really cant tell the difference in graphics.

The Wii sucks and is for little kids. If youre into Diddy Kong racing and Paper Mario and little kid shit like that then by all means get one but the game play on a Wii gets old fast.

Silock
360 for gaming, especially if you do online.

Wii if you just like to screw around and don't really take games too seriously.

PS3 if you'll rarely play games and just want a good Blu-Ray player.

AggressiveNapkin
12-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Whatever you do don't buy the Wii. It's a huge waste of money

If you like sports I'd probably go with the 360. I have NCAA football and NBA 2k8 and they both are pretty good games. The PS3 was wayyy too overhyped

Pestilence
12-12-2007, 08:45 PM
depends on what you DO in video games. the next gen of sports games is, for me, a joke. I mainly use the franchise mode of madden and the 'dynasty' of ncaa. the ps2 is less buggy and less gimmicky than the next gen. I own a 360 and wii as well, though. the 360 is great for actual gaming (ignoring the sports games, the 360's game library is untouchable), and the wii is great for a few titles and 'party' type games.

the only reason I'd get a ps3 is the new ratchet and clank game. I love that series, and a few other playstation exclusive franchises. otherwise, my ps2 and 360 do everything I need from my consoles.

This is my feeling as well. I miss Madden on the PS2. Seriously it had the best controls and the best interface. Xbox 360 has awesome graphics for Madden....but the controls suck...and the interface kind of sucks.

Ebolapox
12-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I think PS3 will be huge soon, they are waiting until more people to get them before they make a lot of games, but they still have a lot of the good games, and of course some the other counsels don't have. Not many people had computers when the first came out, now everyone has one. Same with DVD players. The PS3 is far more advanced in about every way. Cheap for a Blu-ray player too! Games are also said to be scratch and smudge proof, but I've never tested it.

pardon my french, but that's dumb as sh*t from a marketing standpoint. their market share is already so laughable, and they want it to get worse before they make more games? ROFL

if they lose any more of their market share, y'all who have ps3's now have the next sega dreamcast. great system, but the ryan sims of videogame consoles.

DaFace
12-12-2007, 08:48 PM

Yep. I don't really have that much of a desire to buy a PS3, but I probably will once the next Final Fantasy game comes out. Hopefully the prices will have dropped again by then.

Deberg_1990
12-12-2007, 08:50 PM
360 , pretty good graphics,.

YOu make it sound like its one step above the Atari 2600? hehehe

DaFace

I'd have to dig around a bit to find it, but I read an article a few months back that said the issue with the PS3 is that it takes companies a TON of time to design games for it. The better graphics are great, but it takes time to design games that can take advantage of them. According to the article at least, THAT'S the major holdup.

Kraus
Wii = GREAT party system, but not as good for single-player games. Not much of a focus on graphics quality. Low price.

360 = Lots of games available, pretty good graphics, great online features, medium price.

PS3 = Awesome graphics, somewhat limited game selection, blu-ray palyer, high price.

That's my impressions of the three anyway.

360 for gaming, especially if you do online.

Wii if you just like to screw around and don't really take games too seriously.

PS3 if you'll rarely play games and just want a good Blu-Ray player.

These two pretty much summed up my feelings.

DaFace
12-12-2007, 08:51 PM
YOu make it sound like its one step above the Atari 2600? hehehe

Eh, just trying to insinuate that it's a step below the PS3. Of course, in terms of graphics, it looks something like this:

PS3
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Wii

Fly O.T. McWall
12-12-2007, 08:54 PM
the new 360s come with a hd-dvd player... still cheaper than ps3.

Virtua Chief
12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
the new 360s come with a hd-dvd player... still cheaper than ps3.

The X-Box 360 doesn't come with a hd-dvd player. It is an add-on which costs $179.

Pestilence
12-12-2007, 09:28 PM
The X-Box 360 doesn't come with a hd-dvd player. It is an add-on which costs $179.

Exactly.

JBucc
12-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Get an XBOX and support an American company. Unless you hate America.

supercoupe91
12-12-2007, 09:30 PM
If you play sports games, then get a PS3 hands down.

Also, might wanna google "xbox red light of death".

Fly O.T. McWall
12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
i thought the new xbox 360 elites came with one...

:shrug:

anyway, having played both, i'd go with the xbox 360, but i've alwyas preferred it over the ps series.

Pestilence
12-12-2007, 09:37 PM
If you play sports games, then get a PS3 hands down.

Also, might wanna google "xbox red light of death".

They give you a 3 year warranty with it. lol

I got my 3 red rings of death after 4 months.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-12-2007, 09:37 PM
i thought the new xbox 360 elites came with one...

:shrug:

anyway, having played both, i'd go with the xbox 360, but i've alwyas preferred it over the ps series.

The selling point for the elite series was the HDMI out along w/ a 120 gig HD. Now all premium and above bundles have an HDMI out, so unless you are going to download a lot of old X-Box games, there's no reason to buy an elite.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-12-2007, 09:38 PM
PS3's have 90 day warranties, FWIW. That's pathetic for a 500 dollar purchase.

BWillie
12-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Does anybody know why they made the Wii so shitty? I would just go buy a Wii if it had good graphics, supported HD well, and had a HD-DVD player in it. I just don't get it.

kcfanXIII
12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
i understand that the ps3 is an incredible machine, but it could be like the dreamcast, or any other number of systems that were too hard for programmers to program games for. i don't know, i'm not saying it will happen, but as a general rule i wait a year or two after a new platform comes out before i buy it. it gives time for the programmers to work out the bugs, and proves they can make quality titles. the 360 will be my choice for that reason. in time i will buy a ps3 if they prove they can make quality games for it.

Kraus
12-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Does anybody know why they made the Wii so shitty? I would just go buy a Wii if it had good graphics, supported HD well, and had a HD-DVD player in it. I just don't get it.

To make it a ton cheaper than the other systems. It's working well for them right now, those Wii's are selling like crazy.

RustShack
12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
PS3's have 90 day warranties, FWIW. That's pathetic for a 500 dollar purchase.

Interesting, mine came with a two year one :shrug:

ceebz
12-12-2007, 10:59 PM
If you do buy a 360, I would consider buying the in-store warranty. I am now on my 4th replacement box from MS and I can already tell this one isn't going to last long.

The PS3 is a nice piece of hardware but, it's seriously lacking any good games. That should change in the upcoming year though.

Guru
12-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I have been debating, as well. I guess it depends on what you like. There have been a few threads in the Media Center on this subject. Most suggest that while the PS3 may be the most powerful system, it is hardest for programmers to program games and use that capability. Xbox 360 has a better selection of games than PS3 and it is still comparable to the PS3. Wii? Is that even capable of producing Hi Def? I didn't think it was. Anyhoo, I decided the 360 is the best option.
Ditto that.

Wii60 here.

DaFace
12-12-2007, 11:18 PM

Depends on what you're looking for. I've got a Wii and couldn't be happier with it. But it's certainly not meant for hardcore gamers.

BWillie
12-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. I've got a Wii and couldn't be happier with it. But it's certainly not meant for hardcore gamers.

I'm far from a hardcore gamer. I only want to play Madden really, and some other sports games. But from what I've seen the PS3 and XBOX 360 blow the Wii out of the SKY with their graphics. The Wii's graphics looks HORRIBLE

Mr. Flopnuts
12-12-2007, 11:22 PM
PS3 is good because you'll end up getting a Blue Ray player with it.

XBox 360 is good if you like playing online....and the fact that it has a lot of quality games out right now.

The Wii is good if you like being active....and you have kids or a wife that want to play the games with you. Plus it's the least expensive of the bunch.

PS3 will be fine with online play. Especially after Christmas. It's only $50 more than the 360 and it has twice the hard drive. The gap between 360 and PS3 is not only going to close, but it will swing back where it belongs. With Sony. You heard it here first.

kcfanXIII
12-12-2007, 11:24 PM

the wii is innovative. the motion sensor controllers have caught a lot of people's eye. people that don't give a hoot about video games, are playing these things and having a blast. they're pretty fun, despite not having the best graphics. besides, the ability to download old nintendo games is the ultimate in nostalgia, and 8 bit games don't require HD.

Fruit Ninja
12-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Develpers do not want to make games for the ps3 anymore. Companies have canceled a few titles because they do not make a profit on the ps3.

One thing i learned with gaming is, if it doesnt sell well from the get go, its never going to do well. When you miss your launch, your done.

Fruit Ninja
12-13-2007, 12:59 AM
I'd have to dig around a bit to find it, but I read an article a few months back that said the issue with the PS3 is that it takes companies a TON of time to design games for it. The better graphics are great, but it takes time to design games that can take advantage of them. According to the article at least, THAT'S the major holdup.
People talk about better graphics on the ps3, but i don think any game has Gears of War beat in graphics. I think Bioshock game close though. That is also a 360 title. Though, I hear Drakes Fortune is supposed to have killer graphics.

Also, if you like playing sports online the xbox will have 5 times as many online players.

Valiant
12-13-2007, 01:14 AM
PS3 is the future.

Seriously if you are going to use that for your slogan you will not have that gig long..

Xbox killed the PS2 on graphics, but PS2 won that round with their games and lineups..

It is the exact opposite this time around with PS3 not having the sheer amount of quality games...

And for power, graphics and clarity.... I would go look up IGN, gamespot and other sides for where they did their analysis and had 360 winning because their system just happens to run better..(now you can call in question their stability and ROD on a commercial, but if you do and I do not get any credit or money, well...) that and how many PS3's has Sony sold to the 360 since they started out???

I would stay away from PS3 so called power because most game developers have already said they do not like it because it is a pain to program for..

You could also talk about their online being free for most games, from what I understand..

Just stick to what games they will be making...

Honestly though It would be best just not to compare it to 360 or Wii..

Valiant
12-13-2007, 01:21 AM
Numbers for 2007 Jan-June... world wide sales...

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/08/25/nintendo-wii-vs-sony-playstation-3-vs-microsoft-xbox-360-q2-2007/

Nintendo’s Wii, while nearly impossible to find in retail stores, sold slightly above the company’s second quarter June 2007 goal of 9 million units, reaching sales of 9,270,000.

Sony’s PlayStation 3 also edged slightly above its 6 million goal for Q2 by shipping 6,210,000 units to stores. There is still significant inventory left unsold in stores, which prompted Sony to cut the PS3’s price in July by $100, to $499 and $599 for the two PS3 models, the same price points as Apple’s iPhone.

Microsoft had originally set a target of 15 million Xbox 360s by the middle of 2007, but dropped that target down to 12 million. Even with lowered expectations, the company was still unable to meet its goal, having only shipped 11,600,000 units by the end of June.

For the first half of 2007, while Nintendo sold 6 million units a quarter and Sony shipped 2 million per quarter, Microsoft was only about to push out 600,000 units a quarter, in large part because the retail channel is already full of unsold Xbox 360s.

Here are the expectations I published in March compared to actual numbers for June

HMc
12-13-2007, 01:26 AM
who gives a fark about graphics? the most fun ive had playing games was goldeneye and wwf raw on the N64. Yeah, the graphics were cutting edge at the time, but they'd look like dogshit now and it'd still be fun.

The reason the Wii sells is that it's cheap and fun. Most people don't giv a damn about Pixels per inch or whatsort of outputs the thing has. When the PS3 was realeased here it cost like 1200 bucks! f*ck that, why the hell do i want a blu ray player anyway, so i can watch Along Came Polly in higher res on my 60 inch tv?

Fruit Ninja
12-13-2007, 01:31 AM
This was the HW sales of October.

HW Results

Wii 519K
Nintendo DS 458K
Xbox 360 366K
PSP 286K
PlayStation 2 184K
PlayStation 3 121K

PS3 is in dead last, PS2 is selling better then their "next gen" platform. That is horrible any which way you look at it. I wont even go back to Sept sales. It was even uglier.

Fruit Ninja
12-13-2007, 01:32 AM
why the hell do i want a blu ray player anyway, so i can watch Along Came Polly in higher res on my 60 inch tv?
In all honesty, who the **** wouldnt wanna watch that movie in high def? Jennifer Aninston was smoking in that movie. The part where they are about to have sex in her apartment is just $$$$$$.

ChiefsCountry
12-13-2007, 01:49 AM
360 is the way to go.

ChiefsFan4Life
12-13-2007, 06:18 AM
I've got the PS3 and love it. As far as sports game goes, if you're a baseball fan, MLB the Show (only on PS3) is the best baseball game hands down

penguinz
12-13-2007, 06:21 AM
In all honesty, who the **** wouldnt wanna watch that movie in high def? Jennifer Aninston was smoking in that movie. The part where they are about to have sex in her apartment is just $$$$$$.Anniston is way over-rated. I can think of several I would nail before even considering her.

Swanman
12-13-2007, 07:31 AM
I have all 3, so here are my quick thoughts:

PS3: Good bluray player (although I prefer my HD DVD player), good hardware/graphics but barely any games worth playing. What has killed PS3 is that they marketed both GTA IV and Assassin's Creed to be exclusive to PS3 prior to launch, but after launch both games announced they would also launch on 360. Once the new Metal Gear Solid comes out, that will help PS3 quite a bit, but the hole has already been dug too deep.

Wii: Really, really fun system. For those that are bitching about the graphics, you are missing the point. The point of the Wii is fun games using a new gameplay method (motion sensing controllers), not cutting-edge graphics. Given that you still can't find a Wii, I'd say the Wii launch may be the most successful console launch in history.

360: My pick for the best of the three. The graphics are really good, just a notch below PS3 if at all. The game selection, especially exclusive titles (Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3, etc.) is unmatched and I think the gap is so big that PS3 will never catch up. The only complaint I have with the system is that the hardware is very unreliable, although with the most recently manufactured units, they may have finally fixed the problem. But they do offer a very long warranty, which compensates for that.

Kraus
12-13-2007, 07:48 AM
According to NextGenWars.com the numbers are close to this:

Xbox360 - 12.73 Million consoles sold
PS3 - 5.45 Million consoles sold
Wii - 13.17 Million consoles sold

http://nexgenwars.com/

I don't think Sony will ever be able to close the gap with Microsoft.

Rausch
12-13-2007, 08:01 AM
I can't see why anyone would want a wii. The thing looks like a step down, not up. It doesn't HAVE to look like crap just to have a cool controler. But it does. And WTF did people start buying systems for the controler anyway?

I've seen 2 or 3 games that'd make me go 360 but so far nothing on PS3 that makes me want a new system. Odds are I'll wait 2-3 years before I upgrade from the PS2...

Frazod
12-13-2007, 08:41 AM
The Xbox 360 I bought off ebay is in transit and will supposedly arrive tomorrow. This is the first game console I've ever bought. It's used, so I'm a bit apprehensive, but hopefully everything will be OK.

xbarretx
12-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I have all 3, so here are my quick thoughts:

PS3: Good bluray player (although I prefer my HD DVD player), good hardware/graphics but barely any games worth playing. What has killed PS3 is that they marketed both GTA IV and Assassin's Creed to be exclusive to PS3 prior to launch, but after launch both games announced they would also launch on 360. Once the new Metal Gear Solid comes out, that will help PS3 quite a bit, but the hole has already been dug too deep.

Wii: Really, really fun system. For those that are bitching about the graphics, you are missing the point. The point of the Wii is fun games using a new gameplay method (motion sensing controllers), not cutting-edge graphics. Given that you still can't find a Wii, I'd say the Wii launch may be the most successful console launch in history.

360: My pick for the best of the three. The graphics are really good, just a notch below PS3 if at all. The game selection, especially exclusive titles (Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3, etc.) is unmatched and I think the gap is so big that PS3 will never catch up. The only complaint I have with the system is that the hardware is very unreliable, although with the most recently manufactured units, they may have finally fixed the problem. But they do offer a very long warranty, which compensates for that.

good objective summary. however, i would note that Metal Gear and maybe GT is the only games that make that system worth getting...and while i love those two games, plopping in Bioshock in my 360 makes me instantly forget them. ;)

my summary would be like this:

360 - gamer machine (had soon after launch as i wasnt going to ebay one)

Wii - toy with fun gameplay aspects (i have one now)

ps3 - hi tech....uh $$$$$ blu ray player that can also play games..if your so inclinded to that is. :o) (not gonna get it...)

Frazod
12-13-2007, 03:12 PM
BTW - assuming all goes well with my in-transit Xbox, which game should I start off with - Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2007, 03:25 PM
BTW - assuming all goes well with my in-transit Xbox, which game should I start off with - Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect?

I have a crappy PS3 so I don't know about Mass Effect. Assassin's Creed though, is a fantastic game. It gets repetitive, but it's phenominal on the eyes, and a blast to play. Easy to learn, not to tough to master. Leaps of faith will make your tummy tickle.

ChiefsFan4Life
12-13-2007, 03:25 PM

By all accounts everywhere else - Mass Effect

Swanman
12-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Definitely Mass Effect. There was a lot of hype around Assassin's Creed, but the reviews after it came out were good, but not great (Mass Effect got great reviews). If you've got 150 hours to kill, pick up Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

My problem with 360 right now is that too many good games are coming out at once. Right now I have Bioshock, Mass Effect, CoD 4 and a bunch of older games that I've yet to get through. I need to cut up my credit cards.

Fruit Ninja
12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Anniston is way over-rated. I can think of several I would nail before even considering her.
So can i, but i still think she's smoking. I still stand by my original statement.

Fruit Ninja
12-13-2007, 04:28 PM
BTW - assuming all goes well with my in-transit Xbox, which game should I start off with - Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect?I dont like single player RPG's so i went with Assassins Creed and i absolutely loved it. IF your a fan of both style of games, you just cant go wrong with either.

My avatar is from AC.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-13-2007, 04:40 PM
fraz,

If you liked KOTOR, you have to get Mass Effect. It's unreal, and the voice acting is really, really good. The story isn't as deep as KOTOR, but the main character feels a lot more like you since you can actually speak and choose the tone of your responses (from accommodating to world class prick).

Mark M
12-13-2007, 07:01 PM
as a general rule i wait a year or two after a new platform comes out before i buy it.

That's exactly the tactic I've used, and it's served me well.

I think what gets lost in a lot of debates about which console is better is that not all of us have a HDTV. I don't, and doubt I'll be able to afford one any time soon. And since I don't play online either (been tempted, but don't want to run the Cat5 or buy a wireless adapter) that's not a concern, either.

The Mrs. let it slip that I'm getting one of the systems for Xmas, although I'm not 100% sure -- it seemed as though she got a PS3 due to the Ratchet and Clank game (a franchise I enjoy, as does my 3-year old who watches). If so, I'll be a bit disappointed since it's stupid to buy a console for one single game.

I don't play all that often, but will get into a game for a few weeks at a time. Graphics are of less concern than just kick ass gameplay, but the Wii is out due to my back (I would spend weeks in traction after just the tennis game).

So if anything, I hope she got the 360 -- the new models don't seem to overheat as much, there's plenty of games, and the graphics are better than anything I'll be able to actually enjoy anyway.

I guess I'll find out the 25th ...

MM
~~:shrug:

Frazod
12-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with Mass Effect first, Assassin's Creed second. KOTOR is my all-time favorite game, and anything cast in its image I will certainly enjoy.

Al Bundy
12-13-2007, 07:19 PM
I still play my PS2 and I enjoy playing the star wars battlefront online.

Adept Havelock
12-13-2007, 07:27 PM
fraz,

If you liked KOTOR, you have to get Mass Effect. It's unreal, and the voice acting is really, really good. The story isn't as deep as KOTOR, but the main character feels a lot more like you since you can actually speak and choose the tone of your responses (from accommodating to world class prick).

No kidding. KotOR might be my favorite game, but Mass Effect is impressive as hell. I've been so busy doing sidequests/exploration, I just realized that I've probably still got a quite a bit of the game to go (just heading to Virmire...but at level 47).

Frazod, you'll love it.

Cochise
12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
I thought a selling point on the ps3 was that the hardware was a lot more capable. Although it's doing today what 360 can do, it has a higher ceiling for what it will do.

If you have an HDTV, it seems like the way to go, so that you can play the next gen movies all in one box.

kcfanXIII
12-13-2007, 07:50 PM
I thought a selling point on the ps3 was that the hardware was a lot more capable. Although it's doing today what 360 can do, it has a higher ceiling for what it will do.

If you have an HDTV, it seems like the way to go, so that you can play the next gen movies all in one box.

i'm not sold the blu ray really is the wave of the future. the problem is the system itself is too hard to program for. yes the potential might be great, but if you don't have programmers to make games that realize the full potential of the system, you don't have games that push it either. example: the reason we don't already have GTA IV is the ps3 version has load times in excess of 20 minutes. the 360 version is ready to go. due to contracts and legal mumbo jumbo, they have to release at the same time.

Valiant
12-13-2007, 07:53 PM
That's exactly the tactic I've used, and it's served me well.

I think what gets lost in a lot of debates about which console is better is that not all of us have a HDTV. I don't, and doubt I'll be able to afford one any time soon. And since I don't play online either (been tempted, but don't want to run the Cat5 or buy a wireless adapter) that's not a concern, either.

The Mrs. let it slip that I'm getting one of the systems for Xmas, although I'm not 100% sure -- it seemed as though she got a PS3 due to the Ratchet and Clank game (a franchise I enjoy, as does my 3-year old who watches). If so, I'll be a bit disappointed since it's stupid to buy a console for one single game.

I don't play all that often, but will get into a game for a few weeks at a time. Graphics are of less concern than just kick ass gameplay, but the Wii is out due to my back (I would spend weeks in traction after just the tennis game).

So if anything, I hope she got the 360 -- the new models don't seem to overheat as much, there's plenty of games, and the graphics are better than anything I'll be able to actually enjoy anyway.

I guess I'll find out the 25th ...

MM
~~:shrug:

OR just let it slip that you hope you are getting the 360.. IF she got it great, if not she has time between now and then to change it out..

Valiant
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
i'm not sold the blu ray really is the wave of the future. the problem is the system itself is too hard to program for. yes the potential might be great, but if you don't have programmers to make games that realize the full potential of the system, you don't have games that push it either. example: the reason we don't already have GTA IV is the ps3 version has load times in excess of 20 minutes. the 360 version is ready to go. due to contracts and legal mumbo jumbo, they have to release at the same time.

Seriously??? Link to info on that I would like to read more about it..

As for the Sony, yeah it may be individually better on aspects, but they forgot to make the overall machine great... Hopefully this does not effect them a whole lot and still put out a PS4 here in two years..

ChiefsFan4Life
12-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Same here ... that sounds like some unsubstantiated rumor (although I know Valiant hopes its true)

kcfanXIII
12-13-2007, 08:01 PM

As for the Sony, yeah it may be individually better on aspects, but they forgot to make the overall machine great... Hopefully this does not effect them a whole lot and still put out a PS4 here in two years..

unfortunately, it was the guy at gamestop that told me about it. i asked him when GTA IV launched, and he gave me that story. IIRC, san andreas was delayed for quite a while too, and that was a ps2 only launch, so i guess it might not be true. most of the time those guys know what they're talking about though. let me see if i can find a link.

sony made the same mistake with the psp. and the grand theft auto titles got me to buy one. not exactly unhappy with the purchase, but would rather have put the money towards my 360.

Valiant
12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Same here ... that sounds like some unsubstantiated rumor (although I know Valiant hopes its true)

LOL.. I just like knowing what is truth or not.. And as much bitching as you hear from game developers about ps3 you never know..

But 20mins does seem like a huge stretch.. maybe 20secs or more.. But that is still a long ass time for next gen..

ChiefsLV
12-13-2007, 08:20 PM
My problem with 360 right now is that too many good games are coming out at once. Right now I have Bioshock, Mass Effect, CoD 4 and a bunch of older games that I've yet to get through. I need to cut up my credit cards.

Gamefly was my solution to that problem.

meStevo
12-13-2007, 08:23 PM

The HD disc wars are a slippery slope... a PS3 might be the way to go if you don't want to watch anything that is exclusive to HDDVD currently (Transformers, Bourne Series, others). But is that a reason to overpay for a game console if you're don't care about the HD disc stuff?

The PS3 has a bit more mental horsepower, but their graphics capabilities are more or less equivalent. There won't be much motivation outside of a few select first party titles to develop a title into something more on the PS3 that cannot be done on other consoles so that they can be properly ported.

IMO... it isn't worth it to buy a PS3 still right now as a game machine. There are a couple of OK things on the horizon, the jury is definetly still out on HOME (will it become a burden to launch an online game due to the Sims-esque GUI they're fashinoning together?). When major game studios stop treating the system like a red headed step child (Orange Box was ported by a different internal studio rather than Valve, not a good thing) it will be a great system. This will happen in time (give it another year to shore things up) and then it will certainly be worth whatever price it has dropped to.

'OMG I can Fold!' and 'OMG Linux!' are not valid reasons to buy a gaming console OR a Blu-Ray player.

The Wii... that fun will pass in time. Only so much that can be done with it, it's a success, but not as a true gamer's console. A very few people are going to go back to their mainstay franchises (ie Madden) and pick it up on the Wii instead of PS3/360. It will serve it's use as an impulse purchase for the kiddos and curious adults alike, but not a whole lot more than that. It has a very poor attach rate.

This leaves the 360... it's not perfect, but it is mature console and gives you what you are looking for. Gaming. Paying a small price for online play helps weed out some of the assholes, but far from all of them. Many of the reasons have already been detailed, so will leave it at that for now.

Mark M
12-14-2007, 06:31 PM
OR just let it slip that you hope you are getting the 360.. IF she got it great, if not she has time between now and then to change it out..

Way, way ahead of ya ...

:)

BTW, I'd also like to thank everyone who posted -- I've learned a great deal about something I haven't been paying attention to all that much since I wasn't expecting to get one any time soon.

:thumb:

Of course, the next time I go over to my folks house, I'm grabbing our old Atari -- Nothin' like pushing a button to send a line from a sideways T downward while hoping that the cube heading upward from the sideways L doesn't hit me first.

And rep for whomever correctly guesses the game I'm referring to ...

MM
~~:D

Frazod
12-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Well, I got my new Xbox 360 hooked up and started playing Mass Effect. Great game, but it's going to take me a long time to get used to using the hand-held controller instead of a keyboard/mouse. Everything is so completely different. This is a bitch.

I'm glad I got it, though.

meStevo
12-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Congrats. Check out Live Arcade, over 100 game trials waiting for you to fiddle with them.

KcMizzou
12-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Well, I got my new Xbox 360 hooked up and started playing Mass Effect. Great game, but it's going to take me a long time to get used to using the hand-held controller instead of a keyboard/mouse. Everything is so completely different. This is a bitch.

I'm glad I got it, though.You'll get used to it pretty quick. It's worth it.

KcMizzou
12-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Congrats. Check out Live Arcade, over 100 game trials waiting for you to fiddle with them.Yeah.. the ability to DL demos is great.

JBucc
12-15-2007, 07:31 PM

I'm glad I got it, though.Get used to it because pretty soon that's how we'll be flying our flying cars around. Hey I said flying twice in the span of three words. I am ****ing awesome.

Sam Hall
12-16-2007, 12:27 AM
The only thing I don't like about the Wii is having to buy batteries for the WiiRemote every week.

KcMizzou
12-16-2007, 07:41 AM
The only thing I don't like about the Wii is having to buy batteries for the WiiRemote every week.The wireless 360 controllers aren't much better.

ChiefsFan4Life
12-16-2007, 07:51 AM
The only thing I don't like about the Wii is having to buy batteries for the WiiRemote every week.

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-87000-Wii-Charge-Station/dp/B000LFJNF2

Ultra Peanut
12-16-2007, 08:56 AM
The wireless 360 controllers aren't much better.The play and charge kit (and the quick charge kit, from what I hear) is only like $20 and incredibly convenient.

QuikSsurfer
12-16-2007, 10:37 AM
the charge station is a MUST
http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-87000-Wii-Charge-Station/dp/B000LFJNF2

edit: i see this is a repost

Fruit Ninja
12-16-2007, 02:17 PM
The wireless 360 controllers aren't much better.
Rechargeable battery packs are awesome. I have the charger 2 batteries and the plug and play kit. Never without controller power.

TinyEvel
12-17-2007, 06:33 PM
F*ck the PS3 haters. it IS teh future.

Plus, if you get a PSP you can play that thing remotely with a wifi setup i.e. go to starbucks and wakeup your PS3 and play your game on it from your PSP.

Plus a million other things soon to come. I know "soon to come" is a promise they've been saying for a while. But it really is SOON to come.

Trust me.

PLus, all the game titles are now out. I think the only stuff not available is the HALO franchise and XBOX exclusive stuff. PS3 has Heavenly Sword, Gran Tourismo 5, Resistance Fall of Man, Drake's Fortune, and sosn, Killzone 2 and LittleBig Planet, which will be a CATEGORY CHANGER.

Okay, so I'm a fanboy, but it will be huge. 2008 is the year for PS3.

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 07:19 PM

Plus, if you get a PSP you can play that thing remotely with a wifi setup i.e. go to starbucks and wakeup your PS3 and play your game on it from your PSP.

Plus a million other things soon to come. I know "soon to come" is a promise they've been saying for a while. But it really is SOON to come.

Trust me.

PLus, all the game titles are now out. I think the only stuff not available is the HALO franchise and XBOX exclusive stuff. PS3 has Heavenly Sword, Gran Tourismo 5, Resistance Fall of Man, Drake's Fortune, and sosn, Killzone 2 and LittleBig Planet, which will be a CATEGORY CHANGER.

Okay, so I'm a fanboy, but it will be huge. 2008 is the year for PS3.I'm a 360 owner, but no fan boy. (I was a PS2 guy).

I absolutely love my 360. I'm a convert. (Even more-so now that it allows me to steam downloaded video from my PC to my bigscreen)

But I also don't doubt that the PS3 will come around eventually. Right now, though... 360 clearly has the superior game library.

KCFalcon59
12-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I just bought the XBox360 for the kids for XMas. Can't wait to open it up and play.

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 07:40 PM
I just bought the XBox360 for the kids for XMas. Can't wait to open it up and play.Heheh, "for the kids".

No harm in dad having a little fun with it too, right? :)

Valiant
12-17-2007, 08:01 PM
The wireless 360 controllers aren't much better.

Ohh you have not bought the rechargeable, serves you right then.. Still on my same batteries since I bought it 2+ years ago...

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Ohh you have not bought the rechargeable, serves you right then.. Still on my same batteries since I bought it 2+ years ago...Yeah, I should know better. My kids go through them like you wouldn't believe.

Valiant
12-17-2007, 08:17 PM

Trust me.

Okay, so I'm a fanboy, but it will be huge. 2008 is the year for PS3.

Good PS3 needs to do something that gets them out of the shitter, problem is you are just going to move to the top of the toilet.. Sony dug themselves to big of a hole that and losing all the once PS only games to the 360...

PS3 would have to come out with 20+ epic games in one year just to catch up, and force people to buy it.. You can be a fanboy all you want, doesn't stop any rational person from seeing the truth..

And you SOON TO COME will be on the PS4..

Valiant
12-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I should know better. My kids go through them like you wouldn't believe.

How many batteries have you bought price wise??? The plug and play is 20 dollars, cheaper if you catch them on sale...

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 08:23 PM
How many batteries have you bought price wise??? The plug and play is 20 dollars, cheaper if you catch them on sale...Well, the other day a bought a 16-pack of AA's for 10 bucks.

I'll definitely pick one up this weekend.

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 08:25 PM
To make matters worse, I got the boys a 2nd controller for Guitar Hero 3 (for christmas). So now I'll have to keep 2 normal controllers and 2 guitar controllers going.

Shoulda done this a long time ago.

Adept Havelock
12-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Of course, the next time I go over to my folks house, I'm grabbing our old Atari -- Nothin' like pushing a button to send a line from a sideways T downward while hoping that the cube heading upward from the sideways L doesn't hit me first.

And rep for whomever correctly guesses the game I'm referring to ...

MM
~~:D

Air Land Battle for the 2600?

Valiant
12-17-2007, 08:30 PM
To make matters worse, I got the boys a 2nd controller for Guitar Hero 3 (for christmas). So now I'll have to keep 2 normal controllers and 2 guitar controllers going.

Shoulda done this a long time ago.

Looks like they sell rechargeable for that also.. But I have no experience with their reliability..

Jenson71
12-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I like my PS3. I have Apocalypto on Blu-Ray, but haven't taken a look yet.

Games I like so far:

Assassin's Creed
NCAA Football 2008
March Madness 2008
The Godfather: The Don's Edition
Call of Duty 3

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I like my PS3. I have Apocalypto on Blu-Ray, but haven't taken a look yet.

Games I like so far:

Assassin's Creed
NCAA Football 2008
March Madness 2008
The Godfather: The Don's Edition
Call of Duty 3The main reason I'd want a PS3 is for the the RPG's. There's nothing I want right now, but historically, Sony has always had more, and better RPG's.

I'm an RPG geek. Can't get enough of 'em.

Shag
12-17-2007, 09:22 PM
People asking why anyone would own a Wii need to look at what that console was designed for. The Wii is a party system. It's a game system for non-gamers.

I have a 360, and I love it. However, games on the 360 or the PS3 aren't simple - the controllers have a ton of buttons, and gameplay is generally quite complex. Non-gamers have little chance of enjoying these systems without investing a lot of time, which they're not apt to do, given their non-gamer status.

The Wii, however, is extremely accessible. I can play tennis or bowling against my wife, my parents, non-gamer friends, etc - they can pick up the game instantly, and be competitive. Plus, if you happen to be hosting parties, the Wii is equally playable when inebriated. :) For those with kids, I imagine it's even more attractive.

The Wii is not designed for the guy who sits at home and plays video games by himself every night. It's much more of a social gaming system than anything. Nintendo is generally about innovation and creativity, rather than pure horesepower. Plus, they have the added benefit of some of the best game franchises of all time - Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.

The Wii isn't designed to compete with the 360/PS3 - its focus is quite different.

Kraus
12-17-2007, 09:46 PM
People asking why anyone would own a Wii need to look at what that console was designed for. The Wii is a party system. It's a game system for non-gamers.

I have a 360, and I love it. However, games on the 360 or the PS3 aren't simple - the controllers have a ton of buttons, and gameplay is generally quite complex. Non-gamers have little chance of enjoying these systems without investing a lot of time, which they're not apt to do, given their non-gamer status.

The Wii, however, is extremely accessible. I can play tennis or bowling against my wife, my parents, non-gamer friends, etc - they can pick up the game instantly, and be competitive. Plus, if you happen to be hosting parties, the Wii is equally playable when inebriated. :) For those with kids, I imagine it's even more attractive.

The Wii is not designed for the guy who sits at home and plays video games by himself every night. It's much more of a social gaming system than anything. Nintendo is generally about innovation and creativity, rather than pure horesepower. Plus, they have the added benefit of some of the best game franchises of all time - Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.

The Wii isn't designed to compete with the 360/PS3 - its focus is quite different.

Well said. I would like a Wii eventually just to have something for my friends to join in with. I'll get one when they drop below $200.

KCFalcon59
12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Heheh, "for the kids".

Well, you know, gotta test it out. Make sure the kids will like it. Heh :)

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Well, you know, gotta test it out. Make sure the kids will like it. Heh :)Just don't open it up before Santa leaves it... that's just wrong. :D

Lzen
12-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Heheh, "for the kids".

My cousin was over the other day working on his car in my garage. Wife pulls up and has me grab the Rock Band game to hide inside before the boys came home. I showed it to my cousin and said something like "yeah, this is my Christmas present.......err....I mean...the kids Christmas present". :D

Cochise
12-18-2007, 10:35 AM
The main reason I'd want a PS3 is for the the RPG's. There's nothing I want right now, but historically, Sony has always had more, and better RPG's.

I'm an RPG geek. Can't get enough of 'em.

Are there any good ones out already?

I have reason to believe I will be getting a PS3 for Christmas and I'd like to play one.

Fruit Ninja
12-18-2007, 10:51 AM
PS3 hardly has anything for any genre that isnt sports.

there are quite a few games i hear that are being developed that are JRPG.

Swanman
12-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Are there any good ones out already?

I have reason to believe I will be getting a PS3 for Christmas and I'd like to play one.

There's Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, but that's also on 360.

Ultra Peanut
12-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Heavenly SwordSure, it's a mediocre game, but THE HAIR! It's so... red!

unlurking
12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm waiting for The Agency for the PS3. That and FF XIII.

If anyone with a PS3 is interested in a spy/espionage MMORPG, sign up for the beta...

http://theagency.station.sony.com/