PDA

View Full Version : Another AFC West analysis..(pro football insider)

Joe Seahawk
07-18-2001, 10:32 PM
Lengthy writeups on all 5 teams..

http://www.footballinsider.com/teams/analysis/afcwest.htm

Herzig
07-18-2001, 10:40 PM
Gosh..it's been a loooong time since Ive posted!!!

Joe...I love it when the "experts" pick the CHIEFS to finish last....

Remember 95' and 97'?

Michael Michigan
07-18-2001, 10:52 PM
Joe-

FI.Com has made significant changes since last season. I'm a bit biased but I like the way things are laid out.

You’ve probably noticed but they already have a week one match up for the 'Hawks-Browns.

http://www.footballinsider.com/previews/SEA-CLE.htm

Joe Seahawk
07-18-2001, 11:00 PM
It looks like a low scoring a affair. We'll hold our nose and lean to the Seahawks..

Thats a glowing endorsement.:rolleyes:

keg in kc
07-18-2001, 11:05 PM
Seems pretty accurate to me, although I disagree with some of the individual analysis of each team and I really don't think that either San Diego or Seattle (sorry Joe) will be that much improved in 2001. As for KC, I've picked us as a middle-of-the-road team all-along, so I don't disagree too much with that.

Michael Michigan
07-18-2001, 11:07 PM
Joe-

Here's the scary stat.

SEA 0-6 before hosting Chiefs.

Joe Seahawk
07-18-2001, 11:09 PM
Our record sucks right after we play ya too...I want to say 0-5?

Dammit! I cant handle starting out 1-2

Warrior5
07-19-2001, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the link...one of the best breakdowns I've seen so far.

While I disagree with the projection for the Chiefs being bottom-feeders this year, I have no problem with the "experts" continuing to place the Chiefs there. I'll trust Tony Gonzales' prediction that the Chiefs are "going to shock the world".

FWIW, I agree with the prediction of your beloved Hawks placing second.

Packfan
07-19-2001, 08:21 AM
Another article that has taken the words right out of my mouth.

Questioning why Carl Peterson is still the GM after having three straight non-playoff years

Saying that Trent Green isnt worth a first round pick

Questioning why a team in transition would hire a 64 year old head coach AND give up a high pick for him.

Talking about how the team is littered with holes and how this years draft probably wont fill any of those holes.

Talking about how bad the Chiefs have drafted in the middle rounds.

Predicting a last place finish.

Its an excellent article. Doesnt surprise me that hardly anyone has responded to it.

kcred
07-19-2001, 08:46 AM
As a 37 year fan, thats me, not my age, let me respond for Packfan. The article is really good, at the beginning of preseason. Without responding to the reference to CP, since I had to suffer thru the Steadman years, let me say I agree to everything is substance. From a defense that ranked in the lower third of the league, we have added virtually no one. The addition of Holmes, hopefully will add to the offense, that was a little above average. Our STs kept us in trouble most of the year, and I believe we are improved there. Their questions about DV, are not that fair. True he is 64 years old, but he is not playing the game, and after the debacle the last two years, I believe he was worth the #2. I am not giving any predictions at this point, as I am sure this will become a topic at the end of training camp, but at this point, we are going to have to see some of our guys step, and have the ball bounce our way, to avoid finishing where they predicted. Having said all that, did you notice, there were no really glowing report for anyone in the division, so who know.

Gaz
07-19-2001, 09:02 AM
A bit negative, but we deserve nothing better at this point. Many things must come together at exactly the right time in order for us to contend for the AFC West crown. My 20+ years as an MRB Engineer convinced me that not only was Murphy right, but he was thoroughly optimistic.

We will be a better team this season than we were last season. And we will be a much better team next season [dead salaries laid to rest, players used to the new scheme, so forth].

I would be amazed if we contend for the AFC West championship this season. I will be disappointed if we do not contend for it next season.

There will be more and more articles like this one. They will dismiss the Chiefs, bust on Carl for hiring Vermeil and generally consign us to the AFC cellar. And we could very well become the mushrooms of the AFC. But keep your eyes on the prize, my R&G comrades. We will not turn this ship around in a day.

xoxo~
Gaz
Metaphor-mixin’ Gaz.

Packfan
07-19-2001, 11:15 AM
I was more pleased that someone agreed that paying a #1 draft pick (12 pick, no less) was to high for Trent Green. I was also pleased that the article said that personnel has been more of an issue than coaching the last few years. These are things that I have been saying all along.

kcred
07-19-2001, 12:25 PM
While I don't necessarily agree or disagree on the #12 pick for Green, I was against it, however, it is a done deal, and I hope I was wrong. As far as the other, bullsh*t. That coaching staff got the least out of people not the most. We won 9 games in 99, in spite of them, not because of them.

Cormac
07-19-2001, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately, I also think this article is pretty accurate. I don't necessarily believe that DV isn't worth the 2nd rounder. He's old, and won't be around as HC for long, but considering what we have gotten rid of, it's a bargain. I also am hopeful that decent coaching and a change of systems will allow some of our fringe players to develop so that our roster won't look so full of holes :(. But we are in danger of coming in 4th or 5th in the division in '01, IMO, and the personnel changes that have been made so far don't all look like upgrades on paper. The only thing that frustrates me is that nobody chooses to acknowledge that we have made some major cap-cutting moves this offseason, and, at the same time, have gotten rid of the aging malcontents that used to bring ridicule.

I like Gaz' quote I would be amazed if we contend for the AFC West championship this season. I will be disappointed if we do not contend for it next season.

Can I borrow this? :p

BIG_DADDY
07-19-2001, 01:01 PM
The Chiefs are going to suck. They will certainly be last. Probably the worst team in all of football. What horrible decision making, Blah, Blah, Blah. Enough already. Let's get on with the season.

BIG DADDY

Doesn't think we are going to be as bad as everyone is predicting.

Gaz
07-19-2001, 01:04 PM
Cormac-

By all means, sir.

xoxo~
Gaz
Quoteable.

Skip Towne
07-19-2001, 04:37 PM
But #88 says we are going to "shock the world". Is that good or bad? The really good teams of the past have been built really quickly. The '72 Dolphins and the Chuck Knoll Steelers come to mind. Even the hated Cowboys traded Herschel Walker for a SB team almost overnight. I think that is what gives us hope each season. The only difference between the above mentioned teams and the current Chiefs? They all had several GREAT players. We don't. Here's hoping for a wild card.