PDA

View Full Version : DirecTv widens the gap on cable with HD

dtebbe
12-13-2007, 07:36 PM
I finally upgraded to a DirecTv HD dvr that will get the new HD programming, and all I can say is WOW. The DVR is not quite as good as the DirecTivo units, but the new HD programming choices more than make up for that. Pretty much every channel that I find myself watching is now in HD, and the quality is very good. The new MPEG 4 compression is definately better quality, and so far my DVR has been doing fine.

So if you have been on the fence, just make the jump. You will be happy.

Also, I got them to give me the DVR upgrade for $99 and they are giving me a $10 credit on my bill for 12 months, making the DVR more than free. Now I just need 2 more of them ;)

DT

Dicky McElephant
12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Last time I checked they told me I would have to wait 2-3 months to get the HD-DVR.

dtebbe
12-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Last time I checked they told me I would have to wait 2-3 months to get the HD-DVR.

I called last Wednesday and the brought it out the following Saturday, 3 days later.

The new HD DVR also has an ethernet port on it, pretty clear that DirecTv will be in the video on demand business soon.

DT

Fruit Ninja
12-13-2007, 08:01 PM
i tried to get another hd reciever for free, or any kind of deal, they told me they dont do them anymore. I hung up. I got one, but i need another.

DaKCMan AP
12-13-2007, 08:02 PM
How does it widen the gap? I get about 50 HD channels through my digital cable and they also have the option of an HD DVR.

dtebbe
12-13-2007, 08:07 PM
How does it widen the gap? I get about 50 HD channels through my digital cable and they also have the option of an HD DVR.

Sunday Ticket?

dtebbe
12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
i tried to get another hd reciever for free, or any kind of deal, they told me they dont do them anymore. I hung up. I got one, but i need another.

If you just need a reciever, and not a DVR, I'd just get one off Ebay. I got one a few months back for $65 with shipping. Just make sure the seller will guarantee that you can activate it with the access card it comes with.

DT

DaKCMan AP
12-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Sunday Ticket?

DirecTV already had Sunday Ticket, that gap was already there. How did it widen?

Deberg_1990
12-13-2007, 08:17 PM
ATT Uverse offers about 30 channels of HD now.

Although, i have to admit, their HD quality isnt as good as Direct TV's.

Skip Towne
12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
If you just need a reciever, and not a DVR, I'd just get one off Ebay. I got one a few months back for $65 with shipping. Just make sure the seller will guarantee that you can activate it with the access card it comes with.

DT
Too risky buying a used receiver as they probably won't let you use the existing access card. Call 866 678 9471 and get a refurb with a card for $50.

The Bad Guy
12-13-2007, 08:50 PM
That's a nice deal. However, I know several people who were able to get the DVR shipped for free.

The Bad Guy
12-13-2007, 08:51 PM
DirecTV already had Sunday Ticket, that gap was already there. How did it widen?

I'm pretty sure DTV now offers close to 70 stations in HD.

And you can get an HD-DVR through DTV.

DaKCMan AP
12-13-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure DTV now offers close to 70 stations in HD.

And you can get an HD-DVR through DTV.

An HD-DVR is also an option cable companies offer.

The Bad Guy
12-13-2007, 09:04 PM
An HD-DVR is also an option cable companies offer.

Do they offer 70 stations in HD?

DaKCMan AP
12-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Do they offer 70 stations in HD?

Right now about 50 on mine, don't know about others. They're adding more every day. This week they just added Food Network HD, HGTV and History HD.

jjjayb
12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Time warner absolutely sucks for HD. 9 HD channels, and 5 local HD channels. If you have the pay channels (cinemax, hbo, showtime and starz) you can get them in HD. Ridiculous. A shame because other than the lack of HD channels i've been happy with them.

Third Eye
12-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Right now about 50 on mine, don't know about others. They're adding more every day. This week they just added Food Network HD, HGTV and History HD.
The vast majority of major cable companies have significantly less offerings in HD. Charter in St. Louis has about 20. Who is your carrier out of curiosity?

DaKCMan AP
12-13-2007, 09:42 PM
The vast majority of major cable companies have significantly less offerings in HD. Charter in St. Louis has about 20. Who is your carrier out of curiosity?

Bright House

jjjayb
12-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Here's the line up for Time warner in KC. Keep in mind ksmo never actually shows any HD content and KCPT is PBS which shows the same exact programs on all 4 channels most of the time. Pathetic with a capital p.

1401 KCPT

1402 KCPT - HD

1403 KCPT CREATE HD

1404 KCPT kids

1411 WDAF - 4 Fox HD

1421 KMBC 9 ABC HD

1431 KCWE The CW HD

1431 KCWE The CW HD

1441 KSHB-41 NBC HD

1442 KSHB Action Weather Plus

1451 KCTV 5 CBS HD

1460 TNT HD

1471 My KSMO TV HD

1497 ESPN-HD

1498 ESPN 2 HD

1499 A&E High Definition

1500 Discovery HD Theater

1501 MOJO

1503 HD Net

1504 HDNET Movies

1506 NBC Universal HD

1550 Movies on Demand HD

1700 HBO East High Definition

1720 Cinemax HD

1740 Showtime High Definition

1760 Starz HD East

Deberg_1990
12-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Here's the line up for Time warner in KC. Keep in mind ksmo never actually shows any HD content and KCPT is PBS which shows the same exact programs on all 4 channels most of the time. Pathetic with a capital p.

Thats pretty pathetic.

Third Eye
12-13-2007, 09:56 PM

1401 KCPT

1402 KCPT - HD

1403 KCPT CREATE HD

1404 KCPT kids

1411 WDAF - 4 Fox HD

1421 KMBC 9 ABC HD

1431 KCWE The CW HD

1431 KCWE The CW HD

1441 KSHB-41 NBC HD

1442 KSHB Action Weather Plus

1451 KCTV 5 CBS HD

1460 TNT HD

1471 My KSMO TV HD

1497 ESPN-HD

1498 ESPN 2 HD

1499 A&E High Definition

1500 Discovery HD Theater

1501 MOJO

1503 HD Net

1504 HDNET Movies

1506 NBC Universal HD

1550 Movies on Demand HD

1700 HBO East High Definition

1720 Cinemax HD

1740 Showtime High Definition

1760 Starz HD East
Add Fox Sports HD, History Channel HD, and Music HD, subtract MOJO, Universal HD, CBS HD, and 3 PBS channels and you have Charter in St. Louis.

JBucc
12-13-2007, 10:06 PM
I get 4 channels in HD. The four major networks. I just have the basic package though so I thought that was cool.

Fruit Ninja
12-13-2007, 10:38 PM
That's a nice deal. However, I know several people who were able to get the DVR shipped for free.
they gave me the first one free, they told me i have to wait 6 months then i can get another. So i called 6 months later and they tell me, sorry, no go.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2007, 11:08 PM
DirecTV will blow the competition away as soon as they get On Demand service. What's taking so long?

KCwolf
12-13-2007, 11:38 PM

I have DirectTV and if you honestly think you've got a superior setup....let's wager. It's not even close.

I'm an out of market fan that can watch every Chiefs game and every KU Bball game ...... and I promise there is no cable subscription that offers that.....

I believe your very misinformed...

DaKCMan AP
12-14-2007, 06:25 AM
I have DirectTV and if you honestly think you've got a superior setup....let's wager. It's not even close.

I'm an out of market fan that can watch every Chiefs game and every KU Bball game ...... and I promise there is no cable subscription that offers that.....

Uh, when did I say that my cable was superior to DirecTV? I'm not denying a gap between cable and DirecTV (also a gap in price). I just don't see how the addition of HD programming (when my cable also gets HD) widens that gap.

Ultra Peanut
12-14-2007, 06:59 AM
The new HD DVR also has an ethernet port on it, pretty clear that DirecTv will be in the video on demand business soon.Not necessarily. DirecTiVos have USB ports, but they were never implemented.

ChiefsFan4Life
12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Add Fox Sports HD, History Channel HD, and Music HD, subtract MOJO, Universal HD, CBS HD, and 3 PBS channels and you have Charter in St. Louis.

Charter in St. Louis does not have CBS in HD. That's one of the reasons I hate them to death.

Demonpenz
12-14-2007, 09:33 AM
the gap gets wider and wider every day

DeepPurple
12-14-2007, 03:59 PM
I have Comcast digital which includes these HD channels in the price:

1) National Geographic 2) INHD (Mojo) 3) MusicHD 4) Discovery 5) TNT 6) TBS 7) Comcast Sports Net 8) ESPN 9) ESPN2 10) VS/Golf 10) HGTV 11) Food 12) A&E 13) Universal

plus the premium HD channels:

14) HBO 15) Showtime 16) Starz 17) Cinemax 18) NFL (part-time)

plus the local Baltimore/Washington HD channels:

19) CBS 20) NBC 21) ABC 22) FOX 23) WB 24) MPT 25) Washington Fox

Grand total of 25 HD Channels. I have 2 HD sets so that's 2 HD boxes and my other two sets are not HD, so I have no box but they only get channels 2 - 75. Total monthly cost with tax is $135.

I just checked out Direct TV's website and with 2 HD boxes and 2 regular boxes it would be about the same per month, $135. Installation would be free except $99 for the second HD box and actually my monthly bill wouldn't be but only about $65 for the first 3 - 6 months. The main item I like is at this very moment I would be receiving about 65 HD channels instead of 25.

I emailed Comcast last week and said I heard rumor that CNN, USA and a couple more HD's would be online by the end of the year, but they emailed they didn't have that info yet. Still that would be less than 30 and Direct TV is suppose to be up to 100 HD channels soon.

I'm trying to convince myself to get Direct TV, other than the lack of HD channels and the price, I've had almost no problems with Comcast in the 2-1/2 years I've had digital cable. I like the on-screen guide, I like the Scienctific Atlanta remote, I like the Pacer HD Box and I really don't care about getting a HD-DVR because I've heard they have problems and there is usually enough for me to watch in real time.

Can someone with Direct TV and watches mostly HD like myself, let me know it is great and they are very happy. I've never had satellite before and wonder if it's as great as it appears.

Valiant
12-14-2007, 04:12 PM
DirecTV will blow the competition away as soon as they get On Demand service. What's taking so long?

Who owns on demand???

Valiant
12-14-2007, 04:13 PM
the gap gets wider and wider every day

Won't know until HD goes standard...

DeepPurple
12-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I've had Comcast on demand for 2-1/2 years since the summer of 2005 when I went digital and I probably haven't watched 5 movies in that time. I've gotten to the point that if I'm going to take the time to watch a movie, it better be in HD. Comcast on demand has about 10 HD movies and Encore on demand, which is free with digital, has maybe 10 HD movies. HBO, Showtime and Cinemax have just started offering HD on demand movies and they may have four choices each. Starz has had HD on demand for quite awhile and they might have 8 choices.

So there you have it, there is probably 40 HD movies I can watch on demand at this moment. Chances are I've either already seen them or don't want to see it. The last HD on demand movie I watched was about a month ago when we had friends over and they hadn't seen "Borat" and HBO had it in HD on demand. Of course, I had seen it months ago but didn't mind seeing it again, and if you weren't a premium subscriber to HBO you couldn't get the on demand

What irks me is Comcast is running local commercials saying they are offering over 200 HD choices each month, which is triple that of DirecTV. We actually only have 25 HD channels with Comcast, they are counting every movie, video clip and tv program that is on demand as a choice and are trying to compare that to an entire HD network.

These Comcast commercials in general also irk me. When I pay Comcast $135 a month for cable, that's to see a network, not to see their commercials interjected into the commercials slots and pre-empting network commercials, which they do all the time. Even when your watching ESPN News and the scores will stay on the screeen while commercials air, not with Comcast, they'll stick their commercials on the air and block out the score you've been waiting ten minutes to see. I'm really getting sick of Comcast.

Skip Towne
12-14-2007, 05:52 PM

You can get every KU BB game? How do you manage that? Quite a few of the early season games are on the JayhawkTV Network. Do you get that?

KCwolf
12-14-2007, 06:10 PM
You can get every KU BB game? How do you manage that? Quite a few of the early season games are on the JayhawkTV Network. Do you get that?

Uh....I missed the Pittsburgh St. and Fort Hays St. games......other than those 2 - EVERY game is available on DTV.

Silock
12-14-2007, 06:46 PM
My only problem with DirecTV is that we would lose service in severe weather. We get severe weather around here a lot, so it doesn't seem worth it to me.

meStevo
12-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Weather is just interference, proper mounting and alignment whatnot and you should only have very brief interruptions at the most.

There were people in Florida who went through 3 hurricanes in a week and a half or whatever it was and never lost signal for any significant length of time.

Heaven forbid the cable goes out and any infrastructure needs to be repaired...