PDA

View Full Version : Should it be the governments job to regulate sports?

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Well should it?

Adept Havelock
12-14-2007, 12:59 PM
IMO, only in instances where the sport is not taking action on an issue that is against Federal Law.

JBucc
12-14-2007, 01:01 PM
I think the President should automatically be commissioner of all sports leagues.

FringeNC
12-14-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm still bitter about that asinine FCC regulation that prevented us from watching the Chiefs' game at Miami a few years ago.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2007, 01:03 PM
IMO, only in instances where the sport is not taking action on an issue that is against Federal Law.

Funny I didn't think it was the leagues job to enforce Federal law. What gives them the right to enforce mandatory testing? Mandatory testing isn't Federal law.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2007, 01:04 PM
I think the President should automatically be commissioner of all sports leagues. LMAO NICE!!

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2007, 01:08 PM
What MLB should have done when the government got involved was say if they do on any level the policy of the league will be no testing. That would have made it an individual issue and not let them drag the sport into the ground. They should have at least made an attempt to get the government out of their sport.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Selig should be fired for the way he has handled this.

irishjayhawk
12-14-2007, 02:04 PM
No.

But Bud Selig is perhaps the most incompetent person in all of sports.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2007, 02:21 PM
No.

But Bud Selig is perhaps the most incompetent person in all of sports.

What really kills me Bud and ownerships utter hypocracy. They needed people back in the stands after the strike and turned a blind eye to it. Now they want to pretend like they didn't know what's going on and go after the players.

BTW that same blind eye is in the NFL now. If you think a lot of players in MLB use the NFL is much worse. I hope they tell the government to go **** themselves when they come knocking.

irishjayhawk
12-14-2007, 02:37 PM
What really kills me Bud and ownerships utter hypocracy. They needed people back in the stands after the strike and turned a blind eye to it. Now they want to pretend like they didn't know what's going on and go after the players.

BTW that same blind eye is in the NFL now. If you think a lot of players in MLB use the NFL is much worse. I hope they tell the government to go **** themselves when they come knocking.

At least the NFL is policing itself.....

And acknowledges there's a problem. Bud's past quotes and recent quote "I will do something" are absolutely hysterical.

cosmo20002
12-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Funny I didn't think it was the leagues job to enforce Federal law. What gives them the right to enforce mandatory testing? Mandatory testing isn't Federal law.

It is not the leagues' job to enforce federal law or any law. But, the leagues have the right to set their own rules, including mandatory testing if they wish (subject to certain agreements with the player unions).

As to the question 'should it be the govt's role to police sports?', most people would say no, but its more complicated than that. MLB is a monopoly to which the govt has granted an antitrust exemption. So, basically, they can stick their nose in on issues like steriods and say "clean it up, or we're taking away your exemption."

To learn more about antitrust law and its impact on sports, consult your local library or the internet. Its too complicated to get into on a Chiefs message board.

RJ
12-14-2007, 02:42 PM

What he said.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2007, 02:42 PM
At least the NFL is policing itself.....

And acknowledges there's a problem. Bud's past quotes and recent quote "I will do something" are absolutely hysterical.

And what's with Conseco? Is that guy ever going to STFU?

irishjayhawk
12-14-2007, 02:43 PM
And what's with Conseco? Is that guy ever going to STFU?

"Where there's money, there's (written/vocal) word" - Me.

RustShack
12-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I think the Government has more to worry about than sports.

irishjayhawk
12-14-2007, 02:45 PM
I think the Government has more to worry about than sports.

You mean like passing an "acknowledging Christmas" resolution while simultaneously vetoing a Children's health care bill. ;)

damaticous
12-14-2007, 02:53 PM
too much government in everything now. Keep em out of sports.

Besides shouldn't it be the local law enforcement that takes care of the so called roid problem?

Bob Dole
12-14-2007, 02:58 PM
To learn more about antitrust law and its impact on sports, consult your local library or the internet. Its too complicated to get into on a Chiefs message board.

Thanks, Rufus!

EM31
12-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I think the President should automatically be commissioner of all sports leagues.
Hahahaha..... They could have a challenge system in all the major sports and Bush could truly then be "the decider".

George Bush and Herman Edwards.... More in common than you think

Amnorix
12-14-2007, 03:09 PM
What MLB should have done when the government got involved was say if they do on any level the policy of the league will be no testing. That would have made it an individual issue and not let them drag the sport into the ground. They should have at least made an attempt to get the government out of their sport.

MLB has enjoyed federal exemption from the anti-trust laws for about 70 years now, and desperately does not wish to lose it. That makes it subject to closer oversight by Congress than the other major sports, because they have something no other sport has (given by Federal Law), which gives the Feds leverage.

If htey're willing to give up their protection on monopoly laws, then they wouldn't have to dance to the Feds tune so much.

Amnorix
12-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Federal law regulates sports as much as any other business, and because it's so high profile, and because MLB enjoys protection from anti-trust laws, it's subject to more public scrutiny, including by Congress, than most businesses.

What, I wonder, is the real complaint here? The Feds didn't make MLB do this project, or force Mitchell (a RETIRED Senator) to do this report.

Blaming the Feds makes no sense at all.

EDIT: Unless there's something going on with this report, etc., that I don't know, which is possible.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2007, 03:15 PM
MLB has enjoyed federal exemption from the anti-trust laws for about 70 years now, and desperately does not wish to lose it. That makes it subject to closer oversight by Congress than the other major sports, because they have something no other sport has (given by Federal Law), which gives the Feds leverage.

If htey're willing to give up their protection on monopoly laws, then they wouldn't have to dance to the Feds tune so much.

The Feds are absolutely destroying the game. Their micromanagement of BS they have no business being involved with irritates the shit out of me.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Federal law regulates sports as much as any other business, and because it's so high profile, and because MLB enjoys protection from anti-trust laws, it's subject to more public scrutiny, including by Congress, than most businesses.

What, I wonder, is the real complaint here? The Feds didn't make MLB do this project, or force Mitchell (a RETIRED Senator) to do this report.

Blaming the Feds makes no sense at all.

EDIT: Unless there's something going on with this report, etc., that I don't know, which is possible.

It's not about the report that's tardville Selig's mistake. It's about them being involved in shit they shouldn't be.

cosmo20002
12-14-2007, 04:06 PM
The Feds are absolutely destroying the game.

???

What exactly have "the Feds" done to destroy baseball? The main thing I don't like (no real revenue sharing making it much harder for smaller market teams to compete) has nothing to do with govt intervention. The govt didn't mandate a smaller strike zone or anything--what are you talking about?

Nightfyre
12-14-2007, 04:41 PM
This would mobilize the republican party BIG TIME. You would definitely see the highest republican turnout in history. ROFL

Mr. Laz
12-14-2007, 04:46 PM
hell no

Ultra Peanut
12-14-2007, 09:31 PM
The Feds are absolutely destroying the game.wtf

Jayhawkerman2001
12-14-2007, 09:32 PM
yes, when it has to do with illegal substances. thats the only reason they're able to get into this entire steroid stuff.

Ultra Peanut
12-14-2007, 09:36 PM
why don't you whine some more, ya big baby

CoMoChief
12-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Who the **** voted yes?

BWillie
12-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Easy answer is..

it depends.

It's not a yes or no question.

KC Jones
12-14-2007, 10:08 PM
No, but lets face it MLB baseball asked to be regulated by the government.

Mecca
12-14-2007, 10:10 PM
The government is involved because they care about PR. Taking a stance against roids and being hardline against the MLB makes them look good......that's basically what it's about. They only care about it now because steroids became a hot issue.

Silock
12-14-2007, 10:11 PM
No, but they should take action against sports stars that violate federal law.

Mojo Rising
12-15-2007, 12:02 AM
No.

(go dodgers)

NotSureAnymore
12-15-2007, 07:41 AM
They dont regulate dog fighting?

RedNeckRaider
12-15-2007, 07:43 AM
They dont regulate dog fighting?
LOL

Ari ümlaüt
12-15-2007, 09:24 AM
I think the government should assign a personal government agent to each family, so that they can be sure we don't do drugs, download music, say bad things about the govt, so we don't do steroids, so we don't gamble online, and so we all do what the govt sanctions us to do.