PDA

View Full Version : Rich Rodriguez = Michigan's Coach

irishjayhawk
12-16-2007, 12:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3157227

West Virginia football coach Rich Rodriguez informed his players at a 1:30 p.m. meeting Sunday that he was leaving to become the new coach at Michigan.

Rodriguez met with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin on Friday to talk about the Wolverines' coaching job.

Rodriguez and his agent were in Toledo to talk with Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman, according to Sporting News Radio, which cited unidentifed sources.

The meeting was confirmed to ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday afternoon by a source close to the situation.

Rodriguez, 44, was back in Morgantown on Friday after taking a flight from Ohio, and unwilling to talk about any possible interest in the Michigan job.

"Going to practice. I'm going to practice," he told The Associated Press on Friday, getting into his car after a trip to Toledo.

Rodriguez again refused to discuss Michigan's vacant coaching job on Saturday.

At the opening of a previously scheduled news conference about West Virginia's trip to the Fiesta Bowl, Rodriguez said he would only talk about the game against Oklahoma (No. 4 BCS, No. 3 AP).

"It may be disappointing to you, but I am not going to talk about any rumors or innuendo or jobs or what else is floating out there," Rodriguez said.

"I'm not going to address the rumors or anything of that nature," Rodriguez said. "If any questions are asked about that, the press conference will be over."

The questions about Michigan persisted, and Rodriguez fired back.

"You all have not understood what I just said. One more question and this conference, unfortunately, and you all have been super, but if the questions persist outside of that then this thing will be over," he said.

A reporter then asked whether Rodriguez would coach the team in the Fiesta Bowl.

"You're a tricky guy," Rodriguez said.

Some players indicated Rodriguez hadn't spoken to them about Michigan and that they were under orders to keep quiet.

"I'm not supposed to talk about that. I'm sorry," offensive lineman Ryan Stanchek said Saturday.

West Virginia athletic director Ed Pastilong spoke with Rodriguez on Saturday.

"We talked about general issues within the football program," Pastilong told The Charleston Gazette, declining to be more specific.

Pastilong, who didn't immediately return a telephone message to The Associated Press, told the newspaper "we'll know something very fast" in regard to Rodriguez's decision.

Michigan, which lured basketball coach John Beilein away from West Virginia last April, is looking for a replacement for football coach Lloyd Carr, who announced his retirement Nov. 19 after 13 seasons.

Pastilong said he was unaware Rodriguez, who has a hefty buyout clause in his contract, was in Toledo.

"He has not shared that with me," Pastilong told The Associated Press.

Pastilong would not say whether West Virginia had given Michigan permission to talk to Rodriguez, citing university policy.

When asked further whether he knew Rodriguez was talking to Michigan, Pastilong said, "Rich has not mentioned anything of that nature to me. Secondly, we have a strong commitment with Rich, a strong contract. We're strongly committed to him and he's strongly committed to us.

"I think it would be unusual that he would be doing that without sharing it with us."

Michigan athletic department spokesman Bruce Madej said he was unaware of any talks.

On the day Carr announced he was stepping down, Martin said he hoped to complete the hiring process quickly.

But LSU's Les Miles withdrew from consideration before he was scheduled to meet with Martin and signed a contract extension with the Tigers.

Rutgers' Greg Schiano said last week after being contacted about the Michigan job that he was staying with the Scarlet Knights.

After a 13-9 loss to Pittsburgh in the regular-season finale knocked West Virginia out of the national championship game, Rodriguez said he wasn't going to be on the move.

"The impact of your name being thrown about is sometimes a little overrated. It probably makes for a lot of angst among families and we don't want that," he said. "Sorry but you all are stuck with me here."

Rodriguez has a 60-26 record at West Virginia. The Big East champion Mountaineers (10-2) play No. 3 Oklahoma (11-2) next month in the Fiesta Bowl.

Last December, Rodriguez agreed to a one-year contract extension through 2013 after he turned down a lucrative offer from Alabama. The extension includes a $4 million buyout clause if he leaves before August 2008. That doubles the amount from the previous contract.

Beilein had a $2.5 million buyout clause in his West Virginia contract, but under an agreement with the university he agreed to pay $1.5 million to the WVU Foundation for leaving for Michigan with five years remaining in his contract.

L.A. Chieffan
12-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Nice hire

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2007, 12:40 PM
The spread offense is coming to Michigan. Maybe they'll start to challenge OSU.

siberian khatru
12-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Until he changes his mind again

JBucc
12-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Good hire. I bet Terrelle Pryor will go there now. He's a great fit for that system.

the Talking Can
12-16-2007, 12:56 PM
he actually talked to his players?

what a coward...real men leave notes

Fruit Ninja
12-16-2007, 12:57 PM
whats ****ed up is he isnt even going to coach his bowl game i heard. **** that guy.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2007, 01:09 PM
whats ****ed up is he isnt even going to coach his bowl game i heard. **** that guy.

That's surprising. You'd think he'd want to coach a BCS Bowl. When we hired Urban he still coached Utah in the bowl game.

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 01:35 PM

With what QB Mallet? What works in conference USA probably wont work in the BIG 10 or a bigger division, unless you have a great couple years of recruits. Michigan isn't built for the spread.

chagrin
12-16-2007, 01:39 PM
With what QB Mallet? Michigan isn't built for the spread.

Mallett will do just fine; give Coach time to recruit, no doubt his reputation will help being even more top notch recruits. You had Cooper, we had Carr, now I think the field is a bit more even now.

KCinNY
12-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Spread option will work at Michigan.

WilliamTheIrish
12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
D is Starting to crumble..

*edit: wrong thread.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2007, 01:43 PM
What works in conference USA probably wont work in the BIG 10 or a bigger division

LMAO

That's what they said when Urban came to Florida. "The spread option wont work in the SEC."

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 01:58 PM
LMAO

That's what they said when Urban came to Florida. "The spread option wont work in the SEC."

Yeah but one word for that.....Tebow, Mallet is no Tebow, and even if Michigan gets (Pryor) good Lord I hope he comes to us, he wont be as good as Tebow starting off. Michigan is losing a lot of good players, and it's not going to be easy to rebuild and totally transform your offense with the players you still have.

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 02:00 PM
LMAO

Yeah and it worked for 1 year, anything less than a National Championship is still a losing year, you play for the Championship.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah but one word for that.....Tebow, Mallet is no Tebow, and even if Michigan gets (Pryor) good Lord I hope he comes to us, he wont be as good as Tebow starting off. Michigan is losing a lot of good players, and it's not going to be easy to rebuild and totally transform your offense with the players you still have.

Rich Rodriguez recruited good, fast players at WVU and he'll be able to recruit at Michigan.

Illinois got the spread option to work in the Big 10, huh?

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Rich Rodriguez recruited good, fast players at WVU and he'll be able to recruit at Michigan.

Yeah because they beat tOSU 1 time, no Illinois has not got the spread to work, this is the first deceant year they have had in a while.

Bob Dole
12-16-2007, 02:09 PM

Which is why he's a strange choice as HC. Michigan hasn't recruited to run a spread offense.

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 02:10 PM

Yeah he did, and he left 3 of them there, you don't get too many recruits with the likes of Slaton, White, and Devine. Your shots at tOSU are mediocre at best.

El Jefe
Which is why he's a strange choice as HC. Michigan hasn't recruited to run a spread offense.

Exactly Michigan isn't built for that.

DaKCMan AP
Yeah because they beat tOSU 1 time, no Illinois has not got the spread to work, this is the first deceant year they have had in a while.

Uh, duh. It's not like Zook was going to instantly turn them into a winner. It takes time to recruit and install a system.

Rodriguez should be able to get it going a lot quicker at Michigan.

Spread offense = kryptonite for OSU.

duncan_idaho
12-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Yeah he did, and he left 3 of them there, you don't get too many recruits with the likes of Slaton, White, and Devine. Your shots at tOSU are mediocre at best.

It might take a year or two, but Rodriguez will make the spread option offense work at Michigan.

He's made it work at West Virginia, and he'll be able to pick and choose his recruits now. Neither Slaton nor White were heavily recruited, and Rodriguez made them stars behind an offensive line of lower-ranked players.

Michigan is going to be scary... The the spread option is designed to make a less talented team able to compete with teams with elite talent; Put elite talent in that system, and it can be very, very dangerous (see: Florida).

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Uh, duh. It's not like Zook was going to instantly turn them into a winner. It takes time to recruit and install a system.

Rodriguez should be able to get it going a lot quicker at Michigan.

Spread offense = kryptonite for OSU.

Uh ok I guess because we lost to Florida and Illinois, so we are just horrible against the spread. I hope Michigan pounds you guys in the Bowl game, you run your mouth too much.

Bob Dole
12-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Mallett is kicking himself in the ass for snubbing Texas right about now.

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Bob Dole, I was thinking that also.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Uh ok I guess because we lost to Florida and Illinois, so we are just horrible against the spread. I hope Michigan pounds you guys in the Bowl game, you run your mouth too much.

Pretty much, and impossible. LMAO

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Pretty much, and impossible. LMAO

App State and Stanford ring a bell to you. With Henne and Hart getting some time to heal I think you will be suprised when you play them.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2007, 02:34 PM
App State and Stanford ring a bell to you. With Henne and Hart getting some time to heal I think you will be suprised when you play them.

Ok. :rolleyes:

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
You have to be one of the most annoying posters on the planet. Electrical engineer huh, in my mind you are some skinny little kid with glasses who spends too much time on-line, or playing Magic with his buddies on his college break, but again that's just me.

JBucc
12-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Good hire. I bet Terrelle Pryor will go there now. He's a great fit for that system.
SHAZAAM! (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=751822)

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 02:41 PM
It will be between tOSU and Michigan, I wouldn't be suprised if he chose Michigan but I would want to gouge my eyes out. I think he will choose OSU though, and he will have a heck of a freshman year with a team that isnt rebuilding.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2007, 02:49 PM
You have to be one of the most annoying posters on the planet. Electrical engineer huh, in my mind you are some skinny little kid with glasses who spends too much time on-line, or playing Magic with his buddies on his college break, but again that's just me.

LMAO

vailpass
12-16-2007, 02:53 PM
First they poach the WV hoops coach now their football coach.
Wonder if WV has a girls volleyball coach that would look good in the maize and blue?

Anyone that thinks Rodriguez can't recruit the athletes he needs to run his style at Michigan is fooling themselves. This is a stud hire for the Wolverines.

El Jefe
12-16-2007, 02:54 PM
LMAO

Is that all you ever post, well here is my best DaKCMan impression.........
ROFL ROFL ROFL :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ROFL , is that about right?

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Is that all you ever post

You make me LMAO often.

Pushead2
12-16-2007, 03:26 PM
As a UM fan , I am not thrilled with the hire. since it will waste years to build it up. And OSU struggles alittle against the spread option. UM will lose to UF because Carr sucks in bowl games.

vailpass
12-16-2007, 03:38 PM
As a UM fan , I am not thrilled with the hire. since it will waste years to build it up. And OSU struggles alittle against the spread option. UM will lose to UF because Carr sucks in bowl games.

Who would you rather have seen hired?

eazyb81
12-16-2007, 04:01 PM
West Virgina = Michigan's bitch

keg in kc
12-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Sweet hire.