PDA

View Full Version : Did Herm take the leash off Solari?

FringeNC
12-16-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't think Solari is as stupid as many think -- I think Herm finally let him call the game today.

irishjayhawk
12-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I've always felt Solari might be the bigger scapegoat.

Cochise
12-16-2007, 02:26 PM
They've been throwing the ball all over for a while now.

dj56dt58
12-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Or maybe Solari grew some balls finally and told herm to **** off?

FringeNC
12-16-2007, 02:27 PM
They've been throwing the ball all over for a while now.

Yeah, but not until we got way behind. We were throwing with the lead today.

CupidStunt
12-16-2007, 02:28 PM
The season's over ... that's why they're (whoever it is) not coaching like pussies.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-16-2007, 02:29 PM
i wondered that myself.

Iowanian
12-16-2007, 02:30 PM
All I know is I'd have prefered to see 1 or 2 of these plays in every game....instead of saving them all for this one.

Teams are rushing like a mofo because the oline struggles....use screens....duh.

PA passes, flea flickers, fake reverse....

The play calling today has at least been creative.

Cochise
12-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah, but not until we got way behind. We were throwing with the lead today.

The play calling has not been conservative lately. I don't think Herm wants to run the ball all the time. I think he's conservative when it comes to making decisions like whether to try to move the ball before the half or what to do on third down or long yardage. But in a neutral situation, I don't think he is any more conservative than average.

OnTheWarpath58
12-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Or, just maybe, Solari finally decided to call a game like his job depends on it.

Which it does.

dtebbe
12-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Yes, leash is off, and ball-gag is in.

Bring out the gimp

DT

MichaelH
12-16-2007, 02:53 PM
I think he did. I saw a strange dog taking a crap in my backyard earlier.

King_Chief_Fan
12-16-2007, 03:07 PM
game was opened up for a reason. Herm wanted us to see that it is the players not the plays. You have to call plays that the team is capable of executing. He is just showing that he knew what he was doing with this team of jack asses. Should be lots of openings for the Chiefs next year.

Mr. Laz
12-16-2007, 03:10 PM
game was opened up for a reason. Herm wanted us to see that it is the players not the plays. You have to call plays that the team is capable of executing. He is just showing that he knew what he was doing with this team of jack asses. Should be lots of openings for the Chiefs next year.
i disagree completely .......

i think this game shows that the play calling was absolutely part of the problem this year. Our offense against the titans looked a little better.

besides ...... if the players get used to a more open offense they will get a little bit better at it.

i just don't know what game you were watching.

trndobrd
12-16-2007, 03:16 PM
This was the first time this year that I wasn't able to guess with 98% accuracy whether the next play would be a run or a pass.

Herm's normal idea of offensive balance until today seemed to be one incomplete pass, followed by 15 running plays, followed by 14 desperation passes.

King_Chief_Fan
12-16-2007, 03:17 PM
i disagree completely .......

i think this game shows that the play calling was absolutely part of the problem this year. Our offense against the titans looked a little better.

besides ...... if the players get used to a more open offense they will get a little bit better at it.

i just don't know what game you were watching.

The 3rd and 4th quarter results would agree with me.

THis team does not have the players yet to open the offense up. A couple showed some good progres however. Lots of dropped passes and Croyle's 2 pics that may not have happend had he had more playing time.
Smith is a ray of hope

BigRock
12-16-2007, 03:21 PM
It's amazing how much better an offense can look when the QB isn't on his back all day.

Mr. Laz
12-16-2007, 03:23 PM
It's amazing how much better an offense can look when the QB isn't on his back all day.
yep ..... and amazing how much better the Oline can do at keeping the QB off his back when the other team has to READ the play instead of just knowing what is coming.

Silock
12-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Or maybe Herm told him to call a better game.

We don't know either way.

keg in kc
12-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Today was the first time I really felt like they were passing to open up the run. Instead of trying it for a series and then going into the fetal position when it didn't work.

I remember listening to Gretz whine during last week's game about how nothing was to be gained from throwing the ball now, that we'd just get Croyle killed and how it wouldn't help his development, and I'm thinking the whole time "or, well, maybe it'll make teams back off and open the running game up".

And if they want to see what Croyle can do -- and most importantly let him learn what he can and can't do in the NFL -- they've got to let him throw the ball.

Today's game, in that sense, was great.

I'll take 2 TD/2 INT games now. There's a reason why Peyton Manning threw 28 picks as a rookie. Guys have to learn just how good the guys on the other side of the ball are. They have to learn what windows you can throw passes into, they have to learn player tendencies, and learn to hide their own.

You can only do that on the field on Sunday.

It's too bad we lost half the season, but this is good for development if he has any shot at a future.

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Is Solari the 'Gimp'?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HlZalchIkk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HlZalchIkk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

TEX
12-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I don't think Solari is as stupid as many think -- I think Herm finally let him call the game today.

Yep. I've been saying from day 1 that it's mostly Herm. Doesn't really matter though, Mike's place is already reserved under the bus.

blueballs
12-16-2007, 07:19 PM
IF Kolby goes down with injury
Harris will mean throwing 98% of the time
Gilbert is rawer than sushi

TEX
12-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Or maybe Herm told him to call a better game.

We don't know either way.

He must have done that with his OC's in New York too... :rolleyes:

MadMax
12-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Today was the first time I really felt like they were passing to open up the run. Instead of trying it for a series and then going into the fetal position when it didn't work.

I remember listening to Gretz whine during last week's game about how nothing was to be gained from throwing the ball now, that we'd just get Croyle killed and how it wouldn't help his development, and I'm thinking the whole time "or, well, maybe it'll make teams back off and open the running game up".

And if they want to see what Croyle can do -- and most importantly let him learn what he can and can't do in the NFL -- they've got to let him throw the ball.

Today's game, in that sense, was great.

I'll take 2 TD/2 INT games now. There's a reason why Peyton Manning threw 28 picks as a rookie. Guys have to learn just how good the guys on the other side of the ball are. They have to learn what windows you can throw passes into, they have to learn player tendencies, and learn to hide their own.

You can only do that on the field on Sunday.

It's too bad we lost half the season, but this is good for development if he has any shot at a future.

Good post I totally agree...
:)

CupidStunt
12-16-2007, 07:22 PM
I said last week that Herm needed to coach as he did (read: with a set of stones) when it mattered, and that applies equally here. He'll probably make some "gutsy" calls and be "aggressive" in the next two weeks, too, even on the **GASP** road.

Just don't get your hopes up and think anything's changed. Come week one next year, he'll call 10 runs up the ass, 5 screens, 3 dumpoffs to Wilson for a net of 6 yards and waste at least one timeout wondering what to do on third-and-15.

OnTheWarpath58
12-16-2007, 07:28 PM
No matter how many times you guys say it, it's not gonna come true.

Mike Solari calls the plays. Not Herm Edwards.

Does Herm control what plays are a focus of each week's gameplan?

Probably so.

Herm IS too conservative. I'm not denying that.

Being conservative is only a part of this offense's trouble.

Being PREDICTABLE on certain down/distance is just as big of a problem, if not bigger.

And that is 100% on the head of Mike Solari.

headsnap
12-16-2007, 07:32 PM
The 3rd and 4th quarter results would agree with me.
that just shows that the Titans coaches are better than the Chiefs coaches and made meaningful halftime adjustments.

why are you discounting the first two quarters? :shrug:

Reerun_KC
12-16-2007, 07:39 PM

Mike Solari calls the plays, Dick Curl Approves them or Changes them. Not Herm Edwards.

Probably so.

Being PREDICTABLE on certain down/distance is just as big of a problem, if not bigger.

And that is 100% on the head of Dick Curl not Solari.

Solari is just a maryter, nothing more, nothing less...

Dick Curl for OC in 2008

GoTrav
12-16-2007, 07:41 PM
wide receiver screens is "taking the leash off"?

OnTheWarpath58
12-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Solari is just a maryter, nothing more, nothing less...

Dick Curl for OC in 2008

What evidence do you have to base this (the part of my post you changed) on?

There's not enough time between plays for the scenario you presented.

That, or Curl never changes the play.

stonedstooge
12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Do you remember when Vermeil was here. After halftime, the Chiefs would come back out like a different team and start kicking azz. You could tell and count on adjustments being made. Now when the Chiefs come back after halftime, they look like they've made no adjustments or adjustments that benefit the other team. That's what coaching is about adjustments and I think Herm has no idea on how to change a gameplan that takes advantage of the other teams weaknesses. That's why he MUST GO.

TEX
12-16-2007, 08:59 PM

Mike Solari calls the plays. Not Herm Edwards.

Probably so.

And that is 100% on the head of Mike Solari.

Sure it is and now he is the OC that Herm created. You'll no doubt ask for evidence, so I'll supply it. Mike has not been the same ever since Herm called him out in a preseason game in '06. It was right before half and Solari called 2 pass plays to TRY AND SCORE. The second one was picked off in the endzone. After that, he was handcuffed. Herm called him out afterwards and said stuff like that's the old way of doing things, Mike will learn, etc. IMO, this marked the beginning of the OC that Solari has become.

TEX
12-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Do you remember when Vermeil was here. After halftime, the Chiefs would come back out like a different team and start kicking azz. You could tell and count on adjustments being made. Now when the Chiefs come back after halftime, they look like they've made no adjustments or adjustments that benefit the other team. That's what coaching is about adjustments and I think Herm has no idea on how to change a gameplan that takes advantage of the other teams weaknesses. That's why he MUST GO.

You're exactly right. We get outcoached on a weekly basis. Today was just another example.

MadMax
12-16-2007, 09:02 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL apparantely..

Mr. Laz
12-16-2007, 09:10 PM
compared to what we did before ..... yes.

just goes to show you how bad it was before

OnTheWarpath58
12-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Sure it is and now he is the OC that Herm created. You'll no doubt ask for evidence, so I'll supply it. Mike has not been the same ever since Herm called him out in a preseason game in '06. It was right before half and Solari called 2 pass plays to TRY AND SCORE. The second one was picked off in the endzone. After that, he was handcuffed. Herm called him out afterwards and said stuff like that's the old way of doing things, Mike will learn, etc. IMO, this marked the beginning of the OC that Solari has become.

So I'm sure I'm understanding what you're saying.......

Your position is that Herm has handcuffed Solari since that PS game, in essence handcuffing him for all of last year and this year.

Is that right?

whoman69
12-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Solari may as well wear a dog collar and the leather pants with no buttcheeks the way that Herm has leashed him since he took over. You can't just change the way you went through training camp and the way you've practiced over most of a season and expect miracle changes. This team has practiced to be a smash-mouth run it up the gut team without having the personnel for it. We also don't have the personnel for airing it down the field either. Solari gave Herm what he wanted. Unfortunately Herm forgot to ask for the players to do so.

Solari is a good Oline coach, but who know about OC because he's never been allowed to be one. We need to clean house on this coaching staff and front office, and then clean house on the field. Despite all the preaching Herm has done about getting younger we still have 17 players over 30, nearly a third of the total team, more if you consider the active roster.

Too many of CPs choices have been busts, so we need to hold onto veterans longer than we should. I think Carl has read too much press about his ability to find good picks on the 2nd day, that he has been trying to get sleeper picks on the 1st day. He never did learn the lesson of draft value. Too many times we've seen him reach for a player that Carl thinks is a good third round value so he drafts them in the 2nd, failing to realize that they would have held out until the 5th round. Twice he has given up draft picks to get a coach. He doesn't seem to realize the value of the draft because the draft has been nearly worthless to us.