PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Vs. Zune

Gary
12-16-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm enlisting the help of all you guys that know more about these things than I do (which will probably include just about every planet member). My wife has been looking at the Zune Music-Video MP3 Player for an Xmas gift. I have a friend that just got the 160GB Ipod & loves it. I know absolutely nothing about Zune products. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Guru
12-16-2007, 06:03 PM
30 GB zune is hella cheap right now.

irishjayhawk
12-16-2007, 07:16 PM
30 GB zune is hella cheap right now.

Note that it's HDD based AND it's outdated as the Zune 2 came out.

On a side note, why do you name an mp3 player "Zune". At least iPod makes some sense.

morphius
12-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Note that it's HDD based AND it's outdated as the Zune 2 came out.

On a side note, why do you name an mp3 player "Zune". At least iPod makes some sense.
internet pod for music makes sense?

Silock
12-16-2007, 09:19 PM
iPod doesn't stand for internet pod.

Then again, harping on the Zune name is kinda weak. Harp on it because the technology sucks.

JBucc
12-16-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Zune. I was fine with the one I had but I sat on it and now it's got a big black spot on the screen where I can't read it.

irishjayhawk
12-16-2007, 09:28 PM
iPod doesn't stand for internet pod.

Then again, harping on the Zune name is kinda weak. Harp on it because the technology sucks.

Oh no doubt. I hate the technology and the "sharing" is a DRM infested pool. It's like touting a piranha pond as a good feature of a petting zoo.

I'm just wondering out loud at Zune and subsequently it's marketing.

I mean "i" can be many things. I interpret it to be somewhat similar to "my".

And pod is pretty simple to understand.

But Zune? Is it supposed to be sandy?

headsnap
12-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Oh no doubt. I hate the technology and the "sharing" is a DRM infested pool. It's like touting a piranha pond as a good feature of a petting zoo.

I'm just wondering out loud at Zune and subsequently it's marketing.

I mean "i" can be many things. I interpret it to be somewhat similar to "my".

And pod is pretty simple to understand.

But Zune? Is it supposed to be sandy?
Zen was taken... ;)

morphius
12-16-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't know, doesn't the ipod use one of the lower bitrate levels of most of the mp3 players? The thing I always heard about the ipod was that it just had a better interface, maybe not technology. And it is its own DRM hell as well.

morphius
12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
i might = my, but for years tossing an i on a name meant internet, hence the name not making sense.

Lzen
12-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Gary, ignore these ipod fanboys. The Zune is a solid device. The Zune software is alright but I can already see some things that I don't like after having owned my 30 GB Zune for about a month now. Yeah, it is hard disk drive. I have owned smaller mp3 players and I tell ya, it is very nice for me to be able to pull up anything from my music collection whenever I feel like it.

Ipods are overrated and way overpriced, IMO. Only Ipod fan boys will tell you otherwise. I have seen them have plenty of issues. For proof of this, just do a search in the media forum and you will find threads about it.

New Zunes are expensive, too. I would not have spent $250 for one. I got mine for a great deal. Bought it back in early October for $99 from buy.com. They weren't able to ship until mid November, though. I am loving this thing. Tons of space for music, videos, pics, and such.

DaneMcCloud
12-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Ipods are overrated and way overpriced, IMO. Only Ipod fan boys will tell you otherwise.

Nice, condescending, jackass post.

I have three iPods in my home. Two 30 gig models and an iPod Mini for running and biking. I've had one of them for more than two years. We NEVER had a problem of ANY type. NONE. I encode all of my music as 320 mp3's and have never had any issues.

OTOH, I did have a smaller RIO mp3 player that was a major POS. It used proprietary software that was junk, the batteries died after 10 hours of use and it was basically worthless.

I can't tell you anything about Zune player but I can certainly recommend the iPod. And the Bose docking station is a VERY cool accessory item.

OnTheWarpath58
12-16-2007, 10:17 PM

I have three iPods in my home. Two 30 gig models and an iPod Mini for running and biking. I've had one of them for more than two years. We NEVER had a problem of ANY type. NONE. I encode all of my music as 320 mp3's and have never had any issues.

OTOH, I did have a smaller RIO mp3 player that was a major POS. It used proprietary software that was junk, the batteries died after 10 hours of use and it was basically worthless.

I can't tell you anything about Zune player but I can certainly recommend the iPod. And the Bose docking station is a VERY cool accessory item.

Agree 100%

We have an 2 Ipods, one 30g and a 4g Nano, and a Bose sounddock.

Never had a single problem.

irishjayhawk
12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't know, doesn't the ipod use one of the lower bitrate levels of most of the mp3 players? The thing I always heard about the ipod was that it just had a better interface, maybe not technology. And it is its own DRM hell as well.

I don't think the bitrate level is accurate. And it definitely has better technology. Especially the new nanos and Touch. (Essentially the flash based ones, though the HDD ones aren't bad.)

DRM is hell no matter what. Steve Jobs has made an open letter to the RIAA to stop using DRM. Microsoft has done no such thing. Both iTunes and Amazon have DRM-less tracks. I don't know about MS.

However, the iPod doesn't tout a feature that is DRM crippled.

morphius
12-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I don't think the bitrate level is accurate. And it definitely has better technology. Especially the new nanos and Touch. (Essentially the flash based ones, though the HDD ones aren't bad.)

DRM is hell no matter what. Steve Jobs has made an open letter to the RIAA to stop using DRM. Microsoft has done no such thing. Both iTunes and Amazon have DRM-less tracks. I don't know about MS.

However, the iPod doesn't tout a feature that is DRM crippled.
Well you can't copy things off of your iPod, can you?

morphius
12-16-2007, 10:30 PM

I don't know, the iPods have always been priced higher then devices of the same size.

irishjayhawk
12-16-2007, 10:33 PM

Why do you think that is?

Because it defeats the purpose of the iTunes store. If you could download things off your iPod, you wouldn't have to buy music.

Unless you mean something else.

And, by the way, you can. Just not with Apple's software.

irishjayhawk
12-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I don't know, the iPods have always been priced higher then devices of the same size.

Higher Price doesn't necessarily mean not worth it.

morphius
12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Why do you think that is?

Because it defeats the purpose of the iTunes store. If you could download things off your iPod, you wouldn't have to buy music.

Unless you mean something else.

And, by the way, you can. Just not with Apple's software.
Yeah, braking the DRM with unauthorized software :D

I'm not a hater, I just don't don't think they are really any better then the other things out there. I have a shuffle and a cheap other mp3 player. The cheap one sounded so much better that I never even use the shuffle.

QuikSsurfer
12-16-2007, 10:46 PM
there are a lot of third party apps that allow you to export songs, movies, and photos from your ipod.

Lzen
12-16-2007, 10:49 PM

ROFL That is truly amusing coming from you. Like you have never been guilty of condescending posts. :rolleyes:

Look, I don't care either way about the ipod. If people want to spend their money on that, that's their choice. The thing that annoys me is all the hype about them. They try to make it sound as if they are somehow the holy grail of personal audio/video devices. Like morphius pointed out, similar sized and featured devices from other companies are often cheaper. That is all I was trying to say. My post was not intended to say that all ipods were junk. Only that they are far from immune to problems. Ipods are not the best bang for your buck, IMO.

morphius
12-16-2007, 10:51 PM
there are a lot of third party apps that allow you to export songs, movies, and photos from your ipod.
And there is a hack to keep the shared songs...

DaneMcCloud
12-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Ipods are not the best bang for your buck, IMO.

The only way to substantiate that position is to have owned both the Zune or other similar player along with the iPod. I have.

And as my experience proved, the iPod has been worth every penny and then some. The Rio was a POS. I'll never purchase anything other than iPod models in the future.

morphius
12-16-2007, 11:07 PM
The only way to substantiate that position is to have owned both the Zune or other similar player along with the iPod. I have.

And as my experience proved, the iPod has been worth every penny and then some. The Rio was a POS. I'll never purchase anything other than iPod models in the future.
Wasn't the Rio made by that RealAudio, that really, truly crappy, sound format that has caused ears to bleed on the internet for years? I can't imagine how you were not happy, but that is a pretty bad comparison to other devices.

DaneMcCloud
12-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Wasn't the Rio made by that RealAudio, that really, truly crappy, sound format that has caused ears to bleed on the internet for years? I can't imagine how you were not happy, but that is a pretty bad comparison to other devices.

No, it was an mp3 player.

It came with its own proprietary software but it sucked. The thing died all the time and used AAA batteries. It was a mess.

I guess if money is really an issue, there are alternatives. But for my money, an iPod can't be beat.

Personally, I think it's stupid to buy some newcomer like a Zune with all its issues when you can buy an iPod for $50 dollars more.

Time is money and I don't like jackin' around with a new, untested product when for just a little more, you can purchase a proven commodity.

ChiefsLV
12-16-2007, 11:41 PM
I recently got a Zune 80 GB and while it had a couple of things I didn't like, like the lack of an equalizer (which someone mentioned the current gen Ipod also lacked) and the inability of the software to easily manage large libraries (6000+ songs), the Zune does have some things I like over the Ipod. Its got a larger screen than the Ipod which makes it better for watching video. I also prefer the Zune touch pad over the Ipod's. It just seems easier to control for me. The Zune also has the wireless sync, although you need to have it plugged into A/C (I have the Zune Dock) for it to work. I also like the stat-tracking aspect of it. Click on my Zune card below and you can see what I've been listening to. It's cool for finding people with similar music interests and discovering new music.

There are quite a few issues with the Zune that would lead me to not recommend it to anyone who is not tech savvy. Case in point, last night I had to go through my entire collection with MP3Tag converting to ID3v2.4 UTF-8 tags to try an avoid a bug that was causing the software to put six and seven copies of the same song on my Zune. In my opinion, the Itunes software is much more mature, user friendly, and has more features than the Zune software. For your wife, this is probably the safest option.

patteeu
12-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I have the 30gb iPod and have no complaints at all. My family has had 4 iPods with only one problem and in that case (a battery problem with an early iPod), the Apple Store replaced it without any hassle.

I can't really say anything about the Zune. Seems cheaper, but that's all I know.

SLAG
12-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I have had the 30gb zune and I love it, I have had No issues with it whatsoever. The zune software is excellent for newbies at MP3 Use

Lzen
12-17-2007, 11:24 AM

Keep wasting your money. I don't care. I have owned RCA, Rio, Zune, a Sony Ericcson phone MP3 player as well as some other cheap MP3 players, and my son has an ipod nano that is a POS. There are threads in the media center (as I stated earlier) that show that ipods have problems, too. But hey, if you like that Kool-aid, keep drinking it. More power to you. ;)

DMAC
12-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Please do not compare the nano to anything. The nano is not an ipod.

The 30 gig video or better is QUALITY.

irishjayhawk
12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah, braking the DRM with unauthorized software :D

I'm not a hater, I just don't don't think they are really any better then the other things out there. I have a shuffle and a cheap other mp3 player. The cheap one sounded so much better that I never even use the shuffle.

ROFL, that's the Shuffle. Even as an Apple fan (tame at that), I can say the shuffle is a POS. Small, but stupid.

The new Nano's are pretty good though.

morphius
12-17-2007, 02:47 PM
ROFL, that's the Shuffle. Even as an Apple fan (tame at that), I can say the shuffle is a POS. Small, but stupid.

The new Nano's are pretty good though.
I won it, what can I say.

irishjayhawk
12-17-2007, 03:08 PM
I won it, what can I say.

Good enough excuse. I'd take it if I'd won it.

Valiant
12-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm enlisting the help of all you guys that know more about these things than I do (which will probably include just about every planet member). My wife has been looking at the Zune Music-Video MP3 Player for an Xmas gift. I have a friend that just got the 160GB Ipod & loves it. I know absolutely nothing about Zune products. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Uhh this is really really easy.. Your wife was looking at the Zune.. get her the focking Zune..

Valiant
12-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Zen was taken... ;)

Didn't stop apple from stealing nano from creative...

foxman
12-17-2007, 04:19 PM
I am not getting into the pi$$ing contest between ipod and Zune but my signature should suggest what I think.

My wife and I love ours. Hers is a 30 and mine is the new 80.

Guru
12-17-2007, 05:13 PM
My Zune does everything I need it to do. Music and Video. I don't use it that often, but when I do I love it. For the price, $85, I could never have justified an iPod.

I have no problems with iPod other than the price. There is no reason for it to cost that much. There is no reason for any MP3 player to cost that much.

Hell, you can by a decent low end computer for that price. You can buy and XBOX 360 for that price. Gimme a break. Up to $350 for a portable audio/video player with a screen smaller than your palm is just plain nuts.

KCFalcon59
12-17-2007, 08:24 PM
My Zune does everything I need it to do. Music and Video. I don't use it that often, but when I do I love it. For the price, $85, I could never have justified an iPod.

I have no problems with iPod other than the price. There is no reason for it to cost that much. There is no reason for any MP3 player to cost that much.

Hell, you can by a decent low end computer for that price. You can buy and XBOX 360 for that price. Gimme a break. Up to $350 for a portable audio/video player with a screen smaller than your palm is just plain nuts.

Now you tell me. :banghead:

headsnap
12-17-2007, 09:57 PM
spent $300 on my 30 gig ipod two years ago. I have used it almost daily since... between listening to music in the car, podcasts at work podcast videos for the kids, ripping movies and watching them on the TV, occupying the kids on long drives, etc, etc, etc...

best $300 I ever spent!!!!

ease of use, interface, and availability of 3rd party products have a lot to do with that...

Guru
12-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Now you tell me. :banghead:
Well, you purchased that thing before I could tell ya. :)

Lzen
12-18-2007, 10:35 AM
ease of use, interface, and availability of 3rd party products have a lot to do with that...

I'll bet that has a lot to do with the fact that you're a Mac owner.
:hmmm:

headsnap
12-18-2007, 02:43 PM
I'll bet that has a lot to do with the fact that you're a Mac owner.
:hmmm:
quite possibly...