PDA

View Full Version : If the Chiefs drafted 6th or 7th, do you think they have a shot at taking Jake Long?

RedThat
12-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Because the way I see it, is, as of now if the season ends today, pardon me if Im worng, but do the Chiefs pick 7th?

As it stands:

1)Miami
2)St.Louis
3)Atlanta
4)NY Jets
5)NE
6)Baltimore
7)KC

Im hoping Miami doesn't take him? I think they'll draft BPA. But realistically I think the Chiefs might have a chance as it is? Why would St. Louis take Long? They have a set of tackles in Pace and barron. Atlanta is definately going to take a QB. They'd be crazy not to. I think the Jets already got their LT in D'Brick. NE has solid tackles, so Im thinking they won't need Jake Long. And of course Baltimore has Ogden?

Which leaves us with the Chiefs..Here's hoping to Jake Long :toast:

Smed1065
12-16-2007, 09:53 PM
No but hey we got DJ,
the best defensive player-LOL

Coach
12-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Because the way I see it, is, as of now if the season ends today, pardon me if Im worng, but do the Chiefs pick 7th?

As it stands:

1)Miami
2)St.Louis
3)Atlanta
4)NY Jets
5)NE
6)Baltimore
7)KC

Im hoping Miami doesn't take him? I think they'll draft BPA. But realistically I think the Chiefs might have a chance as it is? Why would St. Louis take Long? They have a set of tackles in Pace and barron. Atlanta is definately going to take a QB. They'd be crazy not to. I think the Jets already got their LT in D'Brick. NE has solid tackles, so Im thinking they won't need Jake Long. And of course Baltimore has Ogden?

Which leaves us with the Chiefs..Here's hoping to Jake Long :toast:

St. Louis may pick Long, becuase of the fact that Pace can't stay healthy. What was it, 9 games played since 2005? So, I wouldn't be surprised if St. Louis picks him. Atlanta, I think they could as well, but they also could pick Matt Ryan.

Douche Baggins
12-16-2007, 09:54 PM
If Ellis and Dorsey are off the board you probably have to take Jake Long.

RedThat
12-16-2007, 09:55 PM
If Ellis and Dorsey are off the board you probably have to take Jake Long.

Which I think that's possible. but if Ellis is there, would you take him or Long?

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I hope Long's off the board by the time we pick.

Smed1065
12-16-2007, 09:58 PM
St. Louis may pick Long, becuase of the fact that Pace can't stay healthy. What was it, 9 games played since 2005? So, I wouldn't be surprised if St. Louis picks him. Atlanta, I think they could as well, but they also could pick Matt Ryan.

Living in Atlanta, they take a 100 million QB.

OOps.

My badd.

BigChiefFan
12-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I can see everyone of those teams taking Long. You take the best player available and Long will go in the top 5, unless he just falls on his face at the combine or gets seriously injured between now and the draft.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:06 PM

That sums up how I feel about it.

DaneMcCloud
12-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Miami won't take a LT first. That team is a mess and may trade back.

St. Louis may take a LT because Pace is old and can't finish a season. But, that team is in shambles and may take BPA.

Atlanta will probably go running back or QB. They need a "superstar" pick due to their horrible offseason.

The Jets just took "The 'Brick" last year, so I highly doubt they'll pick another LT so soon.

NE? Who knows. I expect them to trade back. If McFadden's still available, thye might take him. That would be scary.

Baltimore's a mess as well. If Billick goes, it's hard to guess which way this team goes. But they'll definitely be looking for offense.

If Long is still there when the Chiefs pick, they probably take him. Though there seem to be plenty of people who feel that Long will eventually end up on the right side. It probably all depends on the coaching staff, offensive coordinator, etc.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I guarantee you the #1 player on the Pats board is Chris Long, that's how they do things.

Tribal Warfare
12-16-2007, 10:10 PM

I concur, too much depth of equal talent at OT this year

RJ
12-16-2007, 10:11 PM
No way the Ravens would pass on Jake Long, I doubt the Rams would either.

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 10:12 PM
No way the Ravens would pass on Jake Long.

Sure they would. They just took Gaither in the supplemental draft.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Color me a fan of Dorsey, Ellis, or C. Long.

mylittlepony
12-16-2007, 10:13 PM
If Dorseys injury lingers Chris Long is #1 on my board as well. I dont understand how many people can see Ellis as a bigger talent then him.

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Chris Long is great. And Ellis isn't much of a drop-off from Dorsey.

Douche Baggins
12-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Which I think that's possible. but if Ellis is there, would you take him or Long?

Ellis.

Get an elite DT prospect and a good RT prospect in the second. Awesome.

Mecca, how good is Chris Long?

mylittlepony
12-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Really? I think heaven and earth is inbetween Dorsey and Ellis. Sure Ellis is good at getting penetration and has that lovely motor but Dorsey just powers through people. He is ALOT more complete as a DT and is possibly the best at the position to come out since Sapp. Ellis might be a top DT any other year, but the dropoff between rare once every 10 years talent and high 1st rounder talent is huge in my mind.

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 10:22 PM

Very. He's an Aaron Kampman type.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Ellis.

Get an elite DT prospect and a good RT prospect in the second. Awesome.

Long is basically awesome, he's an elite level type of DE prospect. He's extremely versatile. He has experience in the 3-4, he can basically play inside or outside with a 4-3 team because of that...he's just a damn good all around player.

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Really? I think heaven and earth is inbetween Dorsey and Ellis. Sure Ellis is good at getting penetration and has that lovely motor but Dorsey just powers through people. He is ALOT more complete as a DT and is possibly the best at the position to come out since Sapp. Ellis might be a top DT any other year, but the dropoff between rare once every 10 years talent and high 1st rounder talent is huge in my mind.

Dorsey wasn't that type of player this year. You can definitely contribute some of that to his injury, but there's no guarantee he even regains any of his old form. Ellis is just as capable at creating havoc.

Douche Baggins
12-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Long is basically awesome, he's an elite level type of DE prospect. He's extremely versatile. He has experience in the 3-4, he can basically play inside or outside with a 4-3 team because of that...he's just a damn good all around player.

He's not slow? NFLdraftcountdown has him as a 4.8 guy.

Douche Baggins
12-16-2007, 10:29 PM

Krumrie will know which one to take. I hope.

Coach
12-16-2007, 10:29 PM

Usually 40 times mean little for DE's and DT's. It's their 10 second time frame, basically their acceleration is what's important, at least to me.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:30 PM
40 times are a bit overrated for Dlineman.....how many times do lineman run that far?

You should be looking at things like, burst off the line, first step quickness, closing speed all that.

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 10:30 PM

Definitely not slow in terms of game-speed. Extremely quick off the ball and doesn't have a problem chasing down QBs. He's pretty athletic.

ChiefsCountry
12-16-2007, 10:31 PM
If this lineup holds out I wouldnt be suprised to see Dorsey and Ellis go 1/2.

mylittlepony
12-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Dorsey wasn't that type of player this year. You can definitely contribute some of that to his injury, but there's no guarantee he even regains any of his old form. Ellis is just as capable at creating havoc.

That's true ofcourse. I'm just motivating putting Chris Long inbetween the two. Still Dorsey played injured and still played at that high level. Just the chance of him coming back from that would be enough. Either you get the world beater or a very good DT its all good in my mind.

BigChiefFan
12-16-2007, 10:32 PM
I'd take Dorsey over Ellis every time. He's a high motor guy, who gets penetration even when being double-teamed. He's an impact player that I would be thrilled to see in a Chiefs uniform.

HolmeZz

Rams aren't taking a DT. They just took Carriker last year and Clifton Ryan's been great as a rook.

Fairplay
Look to trade down. Pick up a number one pick from the other team as well as their number two and a fifth rounder pick as well. Now start loading up on OL and a cornerback.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:33 PM

If the Pats pick 2nd and he's there....they're gonna go Chris Long, he pretty much says Patriots.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Look to trade down. Pick up a number one pick from the other team as well as their number two and a fifth rounder pick as well. Now start loading up on OL and a cornerback.

Uh 1 team has 2 #1's it's Dallas their own and Clevelands....both are playoff teams...

You want to trade possibly pick 5 for picks 27 and 30 or something like that?

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I'd take Dorsey over Ellis every time. He's a high motor guy, who gets penetration even when being double-teamed. He's an impact player that I would be thrilled to see in a Chiefs uniform.

Ellis has just as much of a motor as Dorsey does and he plays quicker. I'd say Dorsey's more likely to break a double team, but Ellis is the better penetrator. Dorsey'll hold up better against the run.

BigChiefFan
I see it as Chris Long, Dorsey, and McFadden all in the top 5.

Douche Baggins
I wonder if it would be totally horrible for us to take Chris Long if Dorsey, Ellis and Jake Long are off the board.

We could trade Tamba and have a dynamite starting DE tandem.

RedThat
12-16-2007, 10:35 PM
If the Pats pick 2nd and he's there....they're gonna go Chris Long, he pretty much says Patriots.

think so? they got seymour, wilfork, and Warren.

BigChiefFan
12-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Ellis has just as much of a motor as Dorsey does and he plays quicker. I'd say Dorsey's more likely to break a double team, but Ellis is the better penetrator. Dorsey'll hold up better against the run.
Agreed, that's why I think Dorsey is more of a complete player-that's what I expect out of my top pick.

HolmeZz
I wonder if it would be totally horrible for us to take Chris Long if Dorsey, Ellis and Jake Long are off the board.

Eh. You can get creative. You see what the Giants did this year? Whenever they had the opponent in an obvious passing down they used Strahan, Osi, Tuck, and Kiwanuka all on the same line.

Mecca
think so? they got seymour, wilfork, and Warren.

I think they would.....they play 4-3 and 3-4 and lineman rotate.

philfree
12-16-2007, 10:37 PM

We could keep Hali and have three good DEs to rotate so we stay fresh. That's part of the problem with Allen, he gets tired by games end. We'd have depth.

PhilFree:arrow:

BigChiefFan
12-16-2007, 10:37 PM
We need impact players. We shouldn't trade down unless, McFadden, both Longs, and Dorsey are off the board.

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Long could definitely be used outside in a 3-4.

Douche Baggins
12-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Eh. You can get creative. You see what the Giants did this year? Whenever they had the opponent in an obvious passing down they used Strahan, Osi, Tuck, and Kiwanuka all on the same line.

Now there's a good idea.

You know someone would be pissed about it though.

RedThat
12-16-2007, 10:41 PM
I think they would.....they play 4-3 and 3-4 and lineman rotate.

But I think they have more things to look at then DL? they're DL is fine.

I think they need to look at theirs LBers or possibly CB? Bruschi and Seau are getting old. I don't think they're going to sign Samuel? It wouldn't surprise me if they traded down to get some extra picks.

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
But I think they have more things to look at then DL? they're DL is fine.

I think they need to look at theirs LBers or possibly CB? Bruschi and Seau are getting old. I don't think they're going to sign Samuel? It wouldn't surprise me if they traded down to get some extra picks.

Long can be used at OLB in the 3-4. They could also take Laurinaitis or Malcolm Jenkins.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
The Pats blueprint to their success has always been their line.......also they can fill those other needs in the next rounds...it's a deep corner year and LB's generally always drop...

It's kinda sad the Pats will likely get an elite player and still get a nice CB and LB.

Fairplay
12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Uh 1 team has 2 #1's it's Dallas their own and Clevelands....both are playoff teams...

You want to trade possibly pick 5 for picks 27 and 30 or something like that?

It depends on the team who wants to trade up for our pick. Obviously the higher up they are the more picks they give up. I would think with a lot of draft picks the players we need to pick up players for OL, CB. We don't way high number one pick to get quality players in this area.

Tribal Warfare
12-16-2007, 10:46 PM
It depends on the team who wants to trade up for our pick. Obviously the higher up they are the more picks they give up. I would think with a lot of draft picks the players we need to pick up players for OL, CB. We don't way high number one pick to get quality players in this area.

Dude quality before quantity. If one has a shot of drafting an All-world player then you pick him instead trading down and getting stopgaps.

RedThat
12-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Long can be used at OLB in the 3-4. They could also take Laurinaitis or Malcolm Jenkins.

they have Thomas, Vrabel, Colvin. I can't think of anywhere else he would play?

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:53 PM
they have Thomas, Vrabel, Colvin. I can't think of anywhere else he would play?

They rotate around.....they don't have any real set players honestly. They have a ton of different packages and rotations they'd all get to play.

RedThat

Seeing the holes on this team, and the fact they aren't 1 year away from re-building, I wouldn't mind if they traded down. If it gets us good picks this year and next, sure why not?

Fairplay
Mecca who would you pick if we were the 7th pick. Lets say Jake is still on the board.

RedThat
12-16-2007, 10:54 PM
They rotate around.....they don't have any real set players honestly. They have a ton of different packages and rotations they'd all get to play.

If they select a guy in the top 5, he'd have to start then rather be part of a rotation. Thats the way I look at it :shrug:

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:56 PM
If they select a guy in the top 5, he'd have to start then rather be part of a rotation. Thats the way I look at it :shrug:

That's why the Pats are good though.....their backup their guys they rotate in are nearly as good as their starters everyone stays fresh and productive....

Look at Jarvis Green for example, he's not a starter yet he's important to them.

mylittlepony
12-16-2007, 10:57 PM
We need impact players. We shouldn't trade down unless, McFadden, both Longs, and Dorsey are off the board.

I sort of agree with this. Im fine to trade after the dropoffs (if we can get good value and not trade down to far).

C.Long, Dorsey, McFadden

Drop off

J.Long, Ellis, Laurinaitis, Jenkins, Campbell, Ryan

Drop off

On the top of my head.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Mecca who would you pick if we were the 7th pick. Lets say Jake is still on the board.

Who's been picked.....if you are going to ask me hypothetical questions you either need to tell me who's gone or give me a group of players to pick from.

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 10:58 PM

He wouldn't have to start immediately. And Colvin and Vrabel are towards the latter part of their careers.

Fairplay
12-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Who's been picked.....if you are going to ask me hypothetical questions you either need to tell me who's gone or give me a group of players to pick from.

The gone list:
Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
Chris Long, DE, Virginia
Brian Brohm QB Louisville
Calais Campbell DE Miami

Hypothetical situation of course.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 11:10 PM
I'd probably take Sedrick Ellis in that scenario...

HolmeZz
12-16-2007, 11:11 PM
The gone list:
Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
Chris Long, DE, Virginia
Brian Brohm QB Louisville
Calais Campbell DE Miami

Hypothetical situation of course.

Ellis > Long

Is Oher available?

Fairplay
12-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I'd probably take Sedrick Ellis in that scenario...

I figured you would go with Sam Baker.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 11:16 PM
I figured you would go with Sam Baker.

You haven't been keeping up....

Fairplay
12-16-2007, 11:19 PM
You haven't been keeping up....

Well, you have me there.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Krumrie will know which one to take. I hope.

Considering some of the guys he's liked......Buffalo used a 3rd round pick on a DT named Tim Anderson cause Krumrie liked him and he was good at his weird wrestling test shit....he also loves Ron Edwards....

Krumie isn't the best judge of talent.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Krumrie's a dumbass.

mylittlepony
12-17-2007, 12:08 AM
If no LT is taken at that point there is a great chance to get one in the second round. Ellis for sure, if Jenkins or Laurinaitis hasnt put up super numbers in the combine.

DaneMcCloud
12-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Krumrie's a dumbass.

Hey wait!!! He yells at his players all the time! Doesn't that make him a good position coach??????

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
12-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Maybe we'll be high enough to get Robert Gallery!

Bill S Preston
12-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Personally, I think that both Long and Baker are weaker prospects than Oher. Oher has shown better footwork, and better hand placement then Long and Baker, not to mention that his ceiling is higher than either player. It also doesn't hurt that he can play both guard and tackle. I'm very interested in seeing what the Patriots do with their pick, I have a feeling that they'll try to trade out of it, especially since they won't have a ton of cap room available with which to sign a top five prospect. I don't see them picking Chris Long, they have a very deep rotation on the defensive line. They need to bolster their linebacking corp, which Belichick and Pioli have shown an inability in drafting effectively.

Tribal Warfare
12-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Personally, I think that both Long and Baker are weaker prospects than Oher. Oher has shown better footwork, and better hand placement then Long and Baker, not to mention that his ceiling is higher than either player.

I totally agree if Oher declares and he's available it would be a no-brainer to select him

Chiefs=Good
12-17-2007, 03:24 AM
Would it make any sense if everyones gone to draft Chris Long and move him to DT???

Anyways my order in prefrences would be...
Glen Dorsey
Jake Long
Sedrick Ellis
Chris Long
Michael Oher
Clady
Jenkins

Tribal Warfare
12-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Would it make any sense if everyones gone to draft Chris Long and move him to DT???

Yes, just like his dad

Chiefs=Good
12-17-2007, 03:29 AM
prob already been covered but if the draft was tommorrow where would we pick?

Tribal Warfare
12-17-2007, 03:31 AM
prob already been covered but if the draft was tommorrow where would we pick?

7th overall

Chiefs=Good
12-17-2007, 03:31 AM
**** really... hmm im gonna have to cheer extra hard for us to lose another game in the fourth quarter next week...

Fairplay
12-17-2007, 03:36 AM
**** really... hmm im gonna have to cheer extra hard for us to lose another game in the fourth quarter next week...

I don't think the chiefs really need our help.

Chiefs=Good
12-17-2007, 03:40 AM
I don't think the chiefs really need our help.

Quoted for the Truth

Tribal Warfare
12-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Another option is CB Malcolm Jenkins in the 7th overall position