PDA

View Full Version : Scoop on Herm

RustShack
12-17-2007, 01:49 AM
What was the state of the NYJ team when he took over? Did he make them better or worse? Does he have a clue how to be a good HC? How did they make they playoffs so much? I've been arguing with another Chiefs fan and just want to get some other opinions. Thank you!

Tribal Warfare
12-17-2007, 02:01 AM
He's a good motivator and scout, but a very poor gameday Head Coach

Fairplay
12-17-2007, 02:05 AM
They were glad to see him go. They said he has bad time management and poor play calling.

Buzzsaw
12-17-2007, 02:14 AM
What was the state of the NYJ team when he took over?

A team that was 9-7 the previous season and was loaded with players that Bill Parcells drafted. Also had Curtis Martin in his prime.

Did he make them better or worse?

He left the team after a 4-12 season. Remember that opening day game in 2005? Fun times. And our draft picks the two past seasons are playing better than the vets he left us with. His biggest crime was neglecting the offense and the offensive line in particular. Hell, we drafted a kicker in the second round.

Does he have a clue how to be a good HC?

Haha, no. His idea of good in game strategy is to take a knee in a playoff game that moves your kicker back and loses you valuable yards. See Doug Brien, Jan 2005 @ Pittsburgh. That one still hurts. Would've been in the AFC Championship.

How did they make they playoffs so much?

1. Curtis Martin
2. Chad Pennington
3. Pretty good defenses to Herm's credit

RustShack
12-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Both are what I was saying, but they think hes one of the best coaches ever. I think he CAN be good, but he has to improve on a LOT of things. He needs to hire a good staff to help him too. They say hes making us a lot younger, I said most of those players are in there now because of injurys and the season being lost. Am I way off on my argument?

Buzzsaw
12-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Both are what I was saying, but they think hes one of the best coaches ever. I think he CAN be good, but he has to improve on a LOT of things. He needs to hire a good staff to help him too. They say hes making us a lot younger, I said most of those players are in there now because of injurys and the season being lost. Am I way off on my argument?

JMO but he'd be a good college coach, maybe he should interview for the UCLA job. He doesn't know X's and O's well enough to be a NFL head coach.

HMc
12-17-2007, 06:49 AM
regular season 52-57

playoffs 2-4

calling him mediocre is a compliment

MahiMike
12-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Would make a good equipment manager...

Pushead2
12-17-2007, 06:55 AM
regular season 52-57

playoffs 2-4

calling him mediocre is a compliment

How bout he blows.

StillHonest
12-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Find other people to hang out with.

blueballs
12-17-2007, 07:18 AM
talking out your ass
hoping to have got it right
orange and blue is more your color

Skip Towne
12-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Looser

DaKCMan AP
12-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Herm is the cause of global warming.

thehead
12-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Herm is the cause of global warming.

Maybe not Herm is definitely responsible for the Chiefs melt down
:p

blueballs
12-17-2007, 07:34 AM
If Herm can handle the NY pressure
the hick with the corn cob up his ass
should be of little concern

EM31
12-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Herm inherited very good talent from Parcells (Groh). The team was set IMO to be a playoff team every year for the first three or four years. Herm did get in the playoffs three out of five but we backed in two of those three times, once with a 9-7 record and both times we were legitimate 11-5 or 12-4 talent.

Terry Bradway (GM) takes some of the blame too of course but when Herm left after five years the talent base of the team was decimated compared to where it was when he came in. Of all the things I have read over here the most consistently baffling is thew claims that Herm has a good eye for talent or that he develops young players.

I cannot think fo a single young player who Herm developed in New York. Not one. I can think of a bunch who were buried on the bench by him, only to blossom after he left. The free agents he told Bradway to go out and get were awful awful players. Most of them over the hill secondary players who had played for him before. We paid them like they were a decade younger and still going to Hawaii.

New York bled-out talent, age and money under Herman Edwards and he left us in a deep hole on all three counts.

We like Leon Washinton though.

P.S. His supporters will often try to claim that his teams always play hard and never quit on him. How does the voracity that claim look to you guys round about now?

chop
12-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Of all the things I have read over here the most consistently baffling is thew claims that Herm has a good eye for talent or that he develops young players.
I've been wondering the same thing.

I think people here have been saying that Herm is a good talent evaluator because he's been playing the guys he drafted. After 5 or so years with Vermeil and seeing all of the young guys riding the pine, I think people here get the misconception that the guys Herm drafted are somehow better because he plays them. JMO.

DaKCMan AP
12-17-2007, 08:05 AM
I've been wondering the same thing.

I think people here have been saying that Herm is a good talent evaluator because he's been playing the guys he drafted. After 5 or so years with Vermeil and seeing all of the young guys riding the pine, I think people here get the misconception that the guys Herm drafted are somehow better because he plays them. JMO.

In reality, they suck. Dwayne Bowe stinks. Pay no attention that he leads all rookie WRs in yards and receptions. Kolby Smith has looked like crap. Croyle is garbage and will never develop. Tamba Hali is useless. Jarrad Page is horrible. Most 7th rounders would have made the Pro Bowl by now.

chop
12-17-2007, 08:18 AM
In reality, they suck. Dwayne Bowe stinks. Pay no attention that he leads all rookie WRs in yards and receptions. Kolby Smith has looked like crap. Croyle is garbage and will never develop. Tamba Hali is useless. Jarrad Page is horrible. Most 7th rounders would have made the Pro Bowl by now.

I didn't say that everyone sucked. I do think he has gotten decent players but other coaches have also. DV got LJ, JA, DJ. He was also wise enough to get Trent Green and Priest Holmes. That were not drafted by DV but he was the only one that saw the potential in both. I could be wrong but wasn't it him that saw the talent in Waters (could have been another coach).

DaKCMan AP
12-17-2007, 08:22 AM
I didn't say that everyone sucked. I do think he has gotten decent players but other coaches have also. DV got LJ, JA, DJ. He was also wise enough to get Trent Green and Priest Holmes. That were not drafted by DV but he was the only one that saw the potential in both. I could be wrong but wasn't it him that saw the talent in Waters (could have been another coach).

Trent Green cost us a 1st. Brian Waters joined the Chiefs in 2000, the year prior to DV. It's common knowledge DV did not want LJ.

JA, DJ, Colquitt and even counting LJ were all hits. 4 hits in 5 drafts and out of 38 players is pretty pathetic.

Reerun_KC
12-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Its just sad, truly sad...