PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Mike

Anyong Bluth
12-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Golic just said he thinks that Dorsey and Long will go 1 & 2 in the draft.

We have the most pitiful season in ages and still on the outside looking in. I know there is other talent, but after dealing with this season, it'd be nice to at least have the top player at the position we're going after available.

kepp
12-17-2007, 08:58 AM
1 and 2 overall? I've been hearing that McFadden is the likely #1.

The Bad Guy
12-17-2007, 08:58 AM
There is absolutely no way to predict such a thing in December when the combine hasn't even taken place yet.

Extra Point
12-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Good for them. I don't know if I'd want Dorsey and his bum knee. Like last year, I thought/think we should take a CB in the first round. So long as we wind up with good help at O-line and in the defensive backfield, it's help where it's needed.

Rausch
12-17-2007, 09:09 AM
The only thing we know is that the top 5 picks will be the highest paid rookies in the NFL.

I'd love to trade down this year and try to pick up as much talent as possible. Pick up at least one first day lineman. We still have no depth at DT or WR. We have a ghost at MLB. Law and Surtain are old with little behind them.

DaKCMan AP
12-17-2007, 09:22 AM
1 and 2 overall? I've been hearing that McFadden is the likely #1.

Unless the pick is traded, I don't see Miami drafting another top-2 pick RB.

Pushead2
12-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Unless the pick is traded, I don't see Miami drafting another top-2 pick RB.

agreed. I wouldn't mind either of the Long's.

jidar
12-17-2007, 09:34 AM
The only thing we know is that the top 5 picks will be the highest paid rookies in the NFL.

I'd love to trade down this year and try to pick up as much talent as possible. Pick up at least one first day lineman. We still have no depth at DT or WR. We have a ghost at MLB. Law and Surtain are old with little behind them.

We've got an O-line that is a sieve and you want to work on the D-line.. where we are 4th in sacks.

DaKCMan AP
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
We've got an O-line that is a sieve and you want to work on the D-line.. where we are 4th in sacks.

We're 26th in run defense.

DaFace
12-17-2007, 09:40 AM

I suck at this whole drafting strategy thing, so I can't say much about individual positions, but I definitely agree with the trading down thing. We've got so many holes on this team it seems like it's going to be vital to picking up some potential talent next year. We're gonna need all the draft picks we can get.

jidar
12-17-2007, 09:40 AM

Yeah the run D kind of fell apart the last few weeks but if you look at the season as a whole the one consistent area that's been a problem since preseason is the o-line.

jidar
12-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I suck at this whole drafting strategy thing, so I can't say much about individual positions, but I definitely agree with the trading down thing. We've got so many holes on this team it seems like it's going to be vital to picking up some potential talent next year. We're gonna need all the draft picks we can get.

I agree, but it seems like it gets harder to trade down every year.

smittysbar
12-17-2007, 09:48 AM
**** trading down, if there is an elite player on the board you take him. We already have a lot of picks this year. Get a Stud when you can.

eazyb81
12-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Guys, you don't have only 4 wins at this point in the season unless you have MULTIPLE holes on your team.

Yes, our Oline sucks, but we could use an elite CB, MLB, and DT also. I want a stud and I don't care what position he plays as long as he's an upgrade over what we have there right now.

smittysbar
12-17-2007, 09:59 AM
I agree. A game changing type player

Anyong Bluth
12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
If you can get an elite player, its makes sense to pay him. If the goal is to put the best 11 eleven on the field, you don't pass one up to pick up 2 players that are not of comparable worth.

Now we can disagree on who that "elite" player may be.

smittysbar
12-17-2007, 10:08 AM
If you can get an elite player, its makes sense to pay him. If the goal is to put the best 11 eleven on the field, you don't pass one up to pick up 2 players that are not of comparable worth.

Now we can disagree on who that "elite" player may be.

Yep!

Stinger
12-17-2007, 10:08 AM
I agree, but it seems like it gets harder to trade down every year.

No one wants to give up the extra picks, I believe enen Dan Snyder of the Redskins has figured this out, but I believe no one wants to pay the extra money for an uproven rookie when moving up.

BigChiefFan
12-17-2007, 10:09 AM

I'll take quality over quanity.

pikesome
12-17-2007, 10:23 AM
I'll take quality over quanity.

That's the rub, even among the best personnel guys there's a large amount of uncertainty about whether a player turns out or not. Sims was fairly well thought of by most at the time, Gallery was supposed to be the "can't miss" pick his year. Trading down, both to get more picks and to pay less, has a lot of advantages. If your #2 overall pick pulls a Leaf, it hurts. Not so much if he's a #28 or some such pick.

Until the Bowls and the combine most of this talk is wild, someone will emerge between now and then that we'll all fall in love with anyway.

Mr. Laz
12-17-2007, 10:27 AM
trading down from an elite player is what teams do when they can't evaluate talent.

Sure-Oz
12-17-2007, 10:29 AM
we need a dominant DT bad

Dave Lane
12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
trading down from an elite player is what teams do when they can't evaluate talent.

So you are saying we will definitely trade down then?

Dave

StillHonest
12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Way to many experts on here. If ever in doubt on trades, drafts, or almost any subject there will be some dilweed to shout out how he would do it and how everyone else is an idiot. The silly season is starting way earlier this year.

DaKCMan AP
12-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Way to many experts on here. If ever in doubt on trades, drafts, or almost any subject there will be some dilweed to shout out how he would do it and how everyone else is an idiot. The silly season is starting way earlier this year.

I would draft BPA round 1 and everyone else is an idiot!

Mr. Laz
12-17-2007, 10:34 AM
So you are saying we will definitely trade down then?

Dave
ROFL

yea ..... pretty much

Brock
12-17-2007, 10:36 AM
We'll probably draft Winston Justice II.

ChiefButthurt
12-17-2007, 11:04 AM

The really neat thing about this, is that we are nearly last in total offense. Many options.....YEEESSS.

eazyb81
12-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I bet the Chargers really regret trading down from the elite Michael Vick to get a no-name RB named Ladanian something or other.....

Micjones
12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Guys, you don't have only 4 wins at this point in the season unless you have MULTIPLE holes on your team.

Yes, our Oline sucks, but we could use an elite CB, MLB, and DT also. I want a stud and I don't care what position he plays as long as he's an upgrade over what we have there right now.

You want a stud at Runningback?

Mecca
12-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Jake Long being gone before this team drafts would be the best thing to happen to the organization....

the Talking Can
12-17-2007, 11:41 AM

exactly

people need to think about this like the NBA - talent rules...

there are only so many elite players in the league and you need as many as you can get...you can always get good players, but you can rarely get great players and usually only through the draft...

you can not pass on an elite player...

the Talking Can
12-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I bet the Chargers really regret trading down from the elite Michael Vick to get a no-name RB named Ladanian something or other.....

no, they were smart enough to know that Vick was a fraud...

BigRedChief
12-17-2007, 11:43 AM
**** trading down, if there is an elite player on the board you take him. We already have a lot of picks this year. Get a Stud when you can.
Here's a scenerio in which I'd be okay with trading down.

Say at #15 we can get a franchise LT. We trade down from #7 and get an additional 2nd rounder to pick up good offensive guard.

Mecca
12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Most people aren't even sure the #1 ranked OT is a franchise LT, let alone the guy who'll still be there at 15.

BigRedChief
12-17-2007, 12:03 PM
thats not true. The diffrence between most players in the NFL is a combination of physical ability, development, smarts, and the situation they are put in.

There are players at virtually ever position that are succesful and become probowlers that arent drafted in the 1st day. Guys like Colston, Page, Brady, and others were late picks.
Correct picking early and higher in the draft increases your odds of finding someone to help the team but no gaurantees.

There are always diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.

the Talking Can
12-17-2007, 12:04 PM
thats not true. The diffrence between most players in the NFL is a combination of physical ability, development, smarts, and the situation they are put in.

There are players at virtually ever position that are succesful and become probowlers that arent drafted in the 1st day. Guys like Colston, Page, Brady, and others were late picks.

those guys are by definition exceptions....and making a prowbowl doesn't make you an elite player...

talent is god given...no amount of effort is going to make anyone into Dion Sanders, DT, Roaf, Elway, Moss, and on and on...

Simply Red
12-17-2007, 12:43 PM
exactly, Exceptional post. Perhaps your best :p

Sam Hall
12-17-2007, 12:50 PM
that sucks
might as well win

Sure-Oz
12-17-2007, 12:51 PM
exactly

people need to think about this like the NBA - talent rules...

there are only so many elite players in the league and you need as many as you can get...you can always get good players, but you can rarely get great players and usually only through the draft...

you can not pass on an elite player...
Look what drafting a DT, Neil Smith, Gonzo did for this organization with those higher picks. Don't trade down unless its an insanely good package

Sure-Oz
12-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Look what a DJ, LJ, JA, Will shields, and Bowe have done for this orginization. With the numerous holes this team has getting 2 guys like this (via trade) out of 1 original pick might do more for this orginization.

DT, Neil Smith, and Gonzo havent helped us win a Lombardi trophy.
RIght, but we need more IMPACT guys like that as well, they were huge in the successes we did have. LJ DJ and Allen will help, we need a MLB that is a STUD. I do agree, if there is quality left get an extra high pick, but it has to be the right deal

El Jefe
12-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Many sites have various reports on who is the #1 ranked DT, might as well if Dorsey can stay healthy in the NFL. Who knows if either guy will still be ther at 15. :rolleyes:

I disagree, anyone who says Dorsey isn't the best DT in College football, hasn't watched enough game to be credible.

Halfcan
12-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Lots of guys looking for "Studs" on this thread.

nychief
12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Golic knows nothing...

evolve27
12-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Golic is a dumbass. He picked us to win against the Titans. Everyone knows Dorsey is rated high.

Dayze
12-17-2007, 07:06 PM
as long as the person they pick is a good value for the spot; (ie; not Sims at #6); stand pat with their pick and get BPA; or trade down 2-3 spots (assuming someone would want to trade up) and get someone of value in the top 10; I'm good with it. <please god...no Ryan Sims picks......>

The Bad Guy
12-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Lots of guys looking for "Studs" on this thread.

Kinda like you on a Friday night.

stonedstooge
12-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Heard that Chase Daniels is evaluating his position for the upcoming draft. Problem is, I don't think we could dumb him down enough to work with Herm. He might be a little too sharp for Herm's brilliant offensive mind.

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Heard that Chase Daniels is evaluating his position for the upcoming draft. Problem is, I don't think we could dumb him down enough to work with Herm. He might be a little too sharp for Herm's brilliant offensive mind.It's Chase Daniel, damnit! No "S"! :p

And he's not going anywhere just yet.

I doubt most people here would want him anyway.

Coach
12-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Yeah the run D kind of fell apart the last few weeks but if you look at the season as a whole the one consistent area that's been a problem since preseason is the o-line.

Problem is, none of our DT's are "elite". Boone is just solid, but he's not what you'd consider "elite"

I'd go with Dorsey or Ellis if they're avaible.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
You make your draft grades and you go by your board. That's the only way you can draft. Otherwise, you end up with Junior Siavii.

Boon
12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I think we ought to put a mic or maybe a camera on the Patriots draft room and take who they were gonna pick.

alanm
12-17-2007, 10:19 PM
There is absolutely no way to predict such a thing in December when the combine hasn't even taken place yet.
Oh by all means, let's go after a work out warrior. :shake:

alanm
12-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Heard that Chase Daniels is evaluating his position for the upcoming draft. Problem is, I don't think we could dumb him down enough to work with Herm. He might be a little too sharp for Herm's brilliant offensive mind.
Daniels is a good spread offense QB in college. He's gotta play under center at the next level. He's too short for the NFL.

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Daniels is a good spread offense QB in college. He's gotta play under center at the next level. He's too short for the NFL.D-A-N-I-E-L, for ****'s sake!

alanm
12-17-2007, 10:32 PM
D-A-N-I-E-L, for ****'s sake!
Quit being such a friggin homer. :p

Coach
12-17-2007, 10:33 PM
D-A-N-I-E-L, for ****'s sake!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Funnies/ODDBALL_SAYS_resize.jpg

:D

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Quit being such a friggin homer. :pChase McDanielson was a Heisman finalist. You'd think Big XII fans would know his name by now. :p

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 10:36 PM
It's gotten to the point where I think you guys do it just to **** with me.

Coach
12-17-2007, 10:37 PM
It's gotten to the point where I think you guys do it just to **** with me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Funnies/funny_myspace.gif

:D

Thig Lyfe
12-17-2007, 10:46 PM
I think we should use our 1st rd pick to take Patrick Ewing Jr. and convert him to TE.

Boon
12-17-2007, 10:49 PM
I think we should use our 1st rd pick to take Patrick Ewing Jr. and convert him to TE.

Or possibly a corner........