PDA

View Full Version : Buying used Sprint phone

KevB
12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Thinking of buying a used Sprint phone off Craigslist or EBAY --- anything I can do to be sure I don't get burned?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Ask them to email you the ESN, and call Sprint to confirm that it's not hot.

Saulbadguy
12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I've got 3 used sprint phones if you are in a bind.

DaFace
12-17-2007, 10:51 PM

Yup.

pr_capone
12-17-2007, 11:03 PM

I did that once and was told the phone was ok to be activated. Once I got the phone, and I tried to activate it, they told me that it could not be activated because the person who had it before had not paid their bill.

If you do call, MAKE SURE you have them notate in the account the ESN # and model number of the phone and that customer service confirmed that the phone was good to be activated.

Sprint later sent me a refurbished phone free of charge for my troubles.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-17-2007, 11:23 PM
If you can, buy it off of Craigslist and have them meet you at a Sprint store, or at least wait and pay them until you have it activated. If it's Ebay, if they state in the auction that the ESN is good. You're fine. It they lie, dispute the charges with your bank. You win everytime. I use Sprint, and change phones FREQUENTLY. I always buy them used, and it's always from Ebay or Craigslist.

I've bought no less than half a dozen and had a problem one time. I was refunded all money including return shipping from the seller on Ebay. Just make sure the auction says Clear ESN. If not, don't bid until you ask.

BigRedChief
12-18-2007, 06:51 AM
If you can, buy it off of Craigslist and have them meet you at a Sprint store, or at least wait and pay them until you have it activated. If it's Ebay, if they state in the auction that the ESN is good. You're fine. It they lie, dispute the charges with your bank. You win everytime. I use Sprint, and change phones FREQUENTLY. I always buy them used, and it's always from Ebay or Craigslist.

I've bought no less than half a dozen and had a problem one time. I was refunded all money including return shipping from the seller on Ebay. Just make sure the auction says Clear ESN. If not, don't bid until you ask.
Yep, used Ebay 3 times now to buy a phone without an issue. Just make sure it has a clear ESN and a reptuable seller with Ebay reputation to lose and you will be fine.

KevB
12-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks all. The one I'm looking at is on Craigslist. I've asked for the ESN, so we'll see where it goes.

KevB
12-18-2007, 07:15 AM
I've got 3 used sprint phones if you are in a bind.

Not in a bind, just looking to upgrade to a smartphone. Thanks though.

Saulbadguy
12-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Not in a bind, just looking to upgrade to a smartphone. Thanks though.
Ah - ok. Nevermind then.

Simplex3
12-18-2007, 08:43 AM
You're going to get screwed one way or another. It is SPRINT we're talking about here.

DaFace
12-18-2007, 06:33 PM
You're going to get screwed one way or another. It is SPRINT we're talking about here.

I know this debate goes on every time a cell phone company is mentioned, but I've been with Sprint since 2001 and never had a complaint. :shrug:

Saulbadguy
12-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I know this debate goes on every time a cell phone company is mentioned, but I've been with Sprint since 2001 and never had a complaint. :shrug:
Yep.

Of course Simplex will counter with some ridiculous and obviously made up anecdote about how they screwed him and his "company" out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, but he got them back by haxoring their computarz and installing a rogue .NET application on the blade center.

listopencil
12-18-2007, 09:46 PM

I've been with Sprint since early 2005 and I've been screwed several times. They credited my account each time, and I think it's all straightened out now, and they made up for it with credits to my account above and beyond what they had to do...but it was a real pain in the ass for a while.

listopencil
12-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Speaking of cell phones, I'd like to take this opportunity to say:

**** you Nokia. You are a pack of venomous bitches. I hope every cocksucking worm in the Nokia Repair Center in Florida has to crawl three miles across broken glass while guzzling battery acid en route to a severe crotch beating. May all of you vermin burn in Hell for your crimes against humanity here on Earth. I will never purchase a Nokia product for as long as I live. I will not take a Nokia product for free. If Nokia manufactured containers of water, and my mother were on fire, I wouldn't use one to extinguish her. Kiss my ass, Nokia bitches.

Simplex3
12-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Yep.

Of course Simplex will counter with some ridiculous and obviously made up anecdote about how they screwed him and his "company" out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, but he got them back by haxoring their computarz and installing a rogue .NET application on the blade center.
I hear they don't totally suck outside of KC.

listopencil
12-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Duncan Pinderhughes?

patteeu
12-19-2007, 04:56 AM
Duncan Pinderhughes?

Duncan "Saulbadguy" Pinderhughes

KevB
12-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Well, changed course and bought a new HTC Touch off Ebay. Anybody have one of these? I've read good reviews for the most part.

listopencil
12-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Duncan "Saulbadguy" Pinderhughes

Ah.

Chiefmanwillcatch
12-20-2007, 10:43 PM
why buy used at all.

ever see those cheap pay as you go phones?

BigMeatballDave
12-21-2007, 08:30 PM
I know this debate goes on every time a cell phone company is mentioned, but I've been with Sprint since 2001 and never had a complaint. :shrug:Consider yourself lucky. They have the worst customer service. Horrible.

BigMeatballDave
12-21-2007, 08:32 PM
I hear they don't totally suck outside of KC.They suck in Ohio, too.

BigMeatballDave
12-21-2007, 08:33 PM
why buy used at all.

ever see those cheap pay as you go phones?Your and idiot. He wants to upgrade to a better phone. Pay attention...

Demonpenz
12-24-2007, 07:35 AM
sprint has been good to me and my employer. thanks

BigRedChief
12-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Well, changed course and bought a new HTC Touch off Ebay. Anybody have one of these? I've read good reviews for the most part.
I guess my son wants one of those too for Christmas but he doesn't like the touch because he's 15 and texting is better with the other model.

SLAG
12-24-2007, 06:19 PM
buy new with

http://www.sprint.com/sero

:thumb:

KChiefer
12-24-2007, 06:52 PM
buy new with

I did this. Had to get a different area code to get sprint instead of nextel. Love it! LG RUMOR. 500 min. Unl txt. 7pm nights. MtoM. $30/mo. Even made $50 from rebates and online codes.

SWEET!

KevB
12-24-2007, 08:03 PM
buy new with

Already on SERO, big fan. Existing phone was only 11 months into the contract though.

SLAG
12-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Already on SERO, big fan. Existing phone was only 11 months into the contract though.

Cool Cool

I was on the sprint "Employee Advantage Plan" That was basically SERO but for $15/month and no Contract

They called me up and said the Employee that I was under had been terminated, and that I had to Pick a new plan, I asked to be moved to SERO and they said No problem. I am with SERO now and still have no contract.

Ive got the 755p and the wife has a Sanyo 8400

Troy1220
12-26-2007, 02:12 PM
I have Nextel service and I called them to find out when my contract was up. They told me May, but that they'd roll me into a super sweet Sprint plan if I'd sign up for another year. So, I get 1000 minutes for 50 bucks a month and 2 Sprint, blue tooth, camera phones. The phones arrived the next day, but we had trouble activating them. Come to find out that I don't have Sprint phone service in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Sprint gave me the same plan through Nextel and 2 i880 phones for the trouble, but I would have to continue with them for 1 more year...I agreed. Sprint was supposed to send me a return kit for the Sprint phones, but they never did. They are sitting in my closet. I got a call yesterday from Nextel telling me that my contract was coming up in May and that they'd save me 20% off my plan if I would sign on for another year...this was a few days after getting the free i880's and the new plan..so now I can knock off another 10 bucks a month off the service...I made out pretty well, and I have a feeling they forgot to send me the return kit, so the Sprint phones are mine now.

Valiant
12-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Cool Cool

I was on the sprint "Employee Advantage Plan" That was basically SERO but for $15/month and no Contract

They called me up and said the Employee that I was under had been terminated, and that I had to Pick a new plan, I asked to be moved to SERO and they said No problem. I am with SERO now and still have no contract.

Ive got the 755p and the wife has a Sanyo 8400

Someone must not have liked that employee. My friend still has her 15 dollar plan after being fired six years ago.. I had it but switched to Verizon employee plan, dumb on my part.. They changed our plan from 20 to 40 dollars..