PDA

View Full Version : I think this might be that moment where the GOP officially dies...

jAZ
12-17-2007, 10:20 PM
This is the prevailing view of the GOP now.

It's shockingly commonplace these days.

http://unamericanrevolution.com/policy/betrayal-of-the-american-conscience/

This Senator’s Words Should Shock the American Conscience
December 17, 2007 | Filed Under Policy

A Senator betrays the American Spirit and undermines our Freedom and Constitution

It’s unbelievable some of the words that have been uttered by politicians on the Senate floor, this morning. I listened to Congress discuss the issue of warrantless wiretapping. On tap is the issue of overhauling the ‘outdated’ FISA legislation.

Harry Reid lifted the hold that Senator Dodd had on the legislation and now a major debate is happening that will likely control the direction of America, moving forward. I was shocked at one statement in particular, that came early in the debate.

Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, said in a very derogatory tone:

“The civil libertarians among us would rather defend the constitution than protect our nation’s security.”

I’ll give him this: he DID stutter after he said it, I think he realized how dumb he sounded, but he pushed along with his unique brand of ultra patriotism. Yet, if he wants a true example of American patriotism, he only needs look across the aisle at Senator Chris Dodd who is really fighting for our freedom

That is an unbelievable statement coming from a man who continuously promotes an “anti-Terrorism” and “pro-Freedom” agenda that he says is essential to our national security. In fact, his statement on the floor is consistent with the view that President Bush has about the legitimacy of the American Constitution. It’s just a piece of paper, after all. I can’t vouch for the video or the legitimacy of the statement, but it did come from members of President Bush’s staff. Regardless, the proof is in the pudding, and I’m not a fan of the flavor that our President endorses and this horrible attitude has now spread to our Congressional “leaders.”

UPDATE: Oh, and this is rich: Senator Jeff Sessions, not once, but twice.. asked Americans to apologize for attacking President Bush and Congress for acting to “Protect the American people.” If I would have known that this afternoon session would play out as a Comedy, I would have picked up some popcorn before tuning to CSPAN.

If you are an Alabama voter, now would be a good time to give Senator Sessions a piece of your mind. http://sessions.senate.gov/email/contact.cfm

Even better solution:
Get rid of the bum.

SNR
12-17-2007, 10:23 PM
When did Chris Dodd become the patron saint of civil liberties? I had barely heard of that asshole outside of the election

jAZ
12-17-2007, 10:27 PM
When did Chris Dodd become the patron saint of civil liberties? I had barely heard of that asshole outside of the election
The day he was the only one on earth in a position to act, who stepped up and stopped this garbage.

Taco John
12-17-2007, 10:34 PM
“The civil libertarians among us would rather defend the constitution than protect our nation’s security.”

Count me in...

jAZ
12-17-2007, 10:37 PM

Count me in...
The day the Republican party just let the terrorists win.

Taco John
12-17-2007, 11:02 PM
I think national security is important, but I don't believe that it requires us to lose our civil liberties. Some think that this is a naive perspective. I think that it's likewise naive to believe that we can hand over civil liberties to the federal government and trust them not to ask for more and more. The best way not to find yourself at the bottom of a slippery slope is to not get on it at all.

Ultra Peanut
12-18-2007, 12:46 AM
The day the Republican party just let the terrorists win.They won't hate us without our freedoms! http://i4.tinypic.com/6sls5ly.gif

Cochise
12-18-2007, 06:34 AM
sigh

KILLER_CLOWN
12-18-2007, 06:35 AM
The day the Republican party just let the terrorists win.

The entire world HATES freedom, i mean who wouldn't want a DICK-Tator telling them what to do?

SNR
12-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Not quite the same as "the day the music died" but it's still shitty

patteeu
12-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Oh good. Another "two weeks" thread.

patteeu
12-18-2007, 11:53 AM

That was an unfortunate choice of words. This would have been better:

“The civil libertarians among us would rather defend a misguided view of the constitution than protect our nation’s security.”

Nightfyre
12-18-2007, 11:57 AM
“The civil libertarians among us would rather defend a misguided view of the constitution than protect our nation’s security.”
The constitution is subject to interpretation. This is an equally poor choice of words, imo.

jAZ
12-18-2007, 12:05 PM

That was an unfortunate choice of words. This would have been better:

More of the same.

patteeu
12-18-2007, 12:25 PM
The constitution is subject to interpretation. This is an equally poor choice of words, imo.

I don't understand your post.

Nightfyre
12-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't understand your post.
Who is the congressman to denote anyone else's interpretation of the constitution "misguided" in an area that has not been thoroughly explored by the courts?

That is the essence of my post.

Pitt Gorilla
12-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Good for him! /pat

patteeu
12-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Who is the congressman to denote anyone else's interpretation of the constitution "misguided" in an area that has not been thoroughly explored by the courts?

That is the essence of my post.

No Congressman (or President) should wait for the Supreme Court to tell him what the Constitution means. I know Ron Paul doesn't.

Pitt Gorilla
12-18-2007, 09:31 PM
I wonder if this guy was paying attention when he took his oath of office.

Nightfyre
12-19-2007, 02:09 PM
No Congressman (or President) should wait for the Supreme Court to tell him what the Constitution means. I know Ron Paul doesn't.
You're right! They interpret it! But to call another's interpretation "misguided" is pure arrogance and of little substance.

penchief
12-19-2007, 02:23 PM

He's barely heard of by you because you're obviously late to the game. He's been a representative of the people for 32 years. And he's no asshole.

And when it comes to civil liberties he has more integrity in his pinky finger than most righties have in their entire bodies.

patteeu
12-19-2007, 02:27 PM
You're right! They interpret it! But to call another's interpretation "misguided" is pure arrogance and of little substance.

Your criticism is "of little substance" AFAICT. If someone interprets the constitution's requirement that the president be someone who has "attained to the age of thirty five years" as meaning 35 Venus years (slightly over 8500 Earth days), I'm going to call their interpretation misguided. Other, more plausible, misinterpretations are only different in degree.

Nightfyre
12-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Your criticism is "of little substance" AFAICT. If someone interprets the constitution's requirement that the president be someone who has "attained to the age of thirty five years" as meaning 35 Venus years (slightly over 8500 Earth days), I'm going to call their interpretation misguided. Other, more plausible, misinterpretations are only different in degree.
:rolleyes: Apply the context to which you were referring when you made the quote and then we can talk about the relevance of the interpretation. Tell me, if I view the lack of due process due to the Patriot act as unconstitutional, is my view "misguided" or a "misinterpretation" ? That would seem to be what the congressman here is saying.