PDA

View Full Version : ****Official Pro Bowl Selection Thread****

unothadeal
12-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Names are announced today at 4ET on NFL Network. Who do you think is making it in this year?

In other words, discuss

P.S. This is my first ****Official**** thread. :thumb:

Bowser
12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Well, The Chiefs will have Gonzalez as a lock (OH NOES! TEH JINX!), and maybe Allen, even though I'm not sold on him the past three or four games. Mario Williams may have stolen his spot. The only other guy I can think of is maybe Colquitt, but even that seems like a long shot.

Pushead2
12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Colquitt , Allen , TG

Cochise
12-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Who should be there? Mario Williams. Who should not? Reggie Bush and Vince Young.

DaKCMan AP
12-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Huard gives the AFC the best shot at winning. /Hootie

unothadeal
12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know when the polls closed? Mario had a great game last week but was it too late?

RP_McMurphy
12-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Here's to Fred Taylor finally getting a nod. He's had a great year and is running better than he has since 2000.

DaKCMan AP
12-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Here's to Fred Taylor finally getting a nod. He's had a great year and is running better than he has since 2000.

Hooah! Love the orange & blue mouthpiece that he, Bobby McCray, Reggie Nelson, Lito Sheppard and others use.

RP_McMurphy
12-18-2007, 09:40 AM
I see Fred in Jax for 3 more years (Mojo has helped his career) and Reggie Nelson will be a All Pro soon with his speed and power hitting. Bobby McCray has stepped back and will most likely be gone as the Jaguars will be looking for a DE in the draft.

QuikSsurfer
12-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Colquitt , Allen , TG
allen won't make it - he was suspended the first two games of the season.

Am i wrong?

DaKCMan AP
12-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know when the polls closed? Mario had a great game last week but was it too late?

Tuesday 12/11

DaKCMan AP
12-18-2007, 11:25 AM
LMAO

Chris Hanson, punter for the Pats, was the leading fan vote getter for punters. He's only punted 37 times all season!

What a joke.

Frosty
12-18-2007, 11:30 AM
The ProBowl selections really went downhill once they allowed the fan voting. :shake:

Bowser
12-18-2007, 11:33 AM
LMAO

Chris Hanson, punter for the Pats, was the leading fan vote getter for punters. He's only punted 37 times all season!

What a joke.

Less than three punts a game? He'll be pretty rusty by the time he gets to Hawaii.

El Jefe
12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
The ProBowl selections really went downhill once they allowed the fan voting. :shake:

I agree 100%

doomy3
12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I would think TG, Allen and Colquitt too

Sure-Oz
12-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I voted for turk mcbride since he bought me shots 2 weeks ago

DaKCMan AP
12-18-2007, 11:52 AM

Next time tell him rocky top sucks!

Sure-Oz
12-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Next time tell him rocky top sucks!
haha i'll see what he says to that...

he kept saying how he missed college life, must not be getting ass as a chief.

StcChief
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Gonzo, Allen, should be Colquitt in the popularity contest

QuikSsurfer
12-18-2007, 12:16 PM
no one can confirm that Allen is eligible considering his suspension???

unothadeal
12-18-2007, 12:37 PM
no one can confirm that Allen is eligible considering his suspension???
I think I heard (on here) that you can only be denied POY awards due to performance enhancing drugs. Not sure about Pro Bowl and DUI's.

Orange Cameltoe
12-18-2007, 01:16 PM

Did you smoke a blunt and eat hog's maws with him, too?

Mecca
12-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Colquitt isn't going to go, Brian Moorman is, Buffalo's punter and that guy is damn good.

BigRock
12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I think I heard (on here) that you can only be denied POY awards due to performance enhancing drugs. Not sure about Pro Bowl and DUI's.
Yeah, the suspension has nothing to do with the Pro Bowl. Merriman went to the Pro Bowl last year.

dirk digler
12-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Gonzalez and Allen made it

Gonzalez, Allen named to Pro Bowl
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen and tight end Tony Gonzalez were named today to this year's Pro Bowl. It will be Allen's first appearance on the roster and Gonzalez's ninth consecutive appearance.

"For Tony to keep a streak like that, that's hard to do in today's NFL," coach Herm Edwards said.

Gonzalez has made the Pro Bowl in all but two of his 11 seasons, all of which have been with the Chiefs. He has a team-high 82 catches for 971 yards and five touchdowns.

Edwards said he also is impressed with Allen's selection. The fourth-year end from Idaho State was a fourth-round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft. He is tied for sixth in the NFL this season with 11.5 sacks.

"He came in here and made himself a Pro Bowl player," Edwards said. "I don't even think he was on the ballot last year. With this year, not even having a real good record this year and not winning a lot of games, I think his play kind of demonstrates who he is and sets him apart."

It is, however, the fewest number of Chiefs to make the Pro Bowl since guard Will Shields was the team's only representative in 1998.

unothadeal
12-18-2007, 02:22 PM
I guess it's not that official anymore.

Direckshun
12-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Nick Folk makes the NFC Pro Bowl.

God hates the Chiefs.

dirk digler
12-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Sean Taylor makes it.

I think that is pretty cool

dirk digler
12-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Starters for the AFC: QB Tom Brady, RB LaDainian Tomlinson, WR Randy Moss, WR Reggie Wayne, TE Antonio Gates, FB Lorenzo Neal, C Jeff Saturday, G Alan Faneca, G Logan Mankins, T Matt Light and T Jason Peterson.

banyon
12-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Welker, Colston among big names not going to Hawaii
Vic Carucci By Vic Carucci | NFL.com

For the most part, the Pro Bowl selectors got it right.

Players, coaches, and the fans who voted on NFL.com did a solid job of selecting the AFC and NFC representatives for the league's Feb. 10 all-star game in Honolulu. There were no outrageous choices, nor outrageous omissions.
2008 Pro Bowl The rosters for the 2008 Pro Bowl have been announced. See which players will make the trip to Hawaii.

Still, as is customary throughout the NFL on this day, I feel compelled to point out some teams and players that would be justified in feeling slighted.

For instance, not a single member of the Jacksonville Jaguars, who are 10-4 and contending for a playoff spot, or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who are 9-5 and captured the NFC South crown, was selected.

Yet, the 1-13 Miami Dolphins have one representative: Defensive end Jason Taylor.

At 12-2, the Dallas Cowboys have had an outstanding season. But is it really deserving of 11 Pro Bowlers, three more than the 14-0 New England Patriots and seven more than the 12-2 Green Bay Packers? I don't think so.

For that matter, how do the 8-6 Minnesota Vikings end up with seven selections, three more than the winner of their division, Green Bay? It makes no sense.

One choice that certainly will tug on all heartstrings is that of late Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor, who was killed during an invasion of his South Florida home.

Let's begin our scrutinizing with the AFC squad.

I don't have a strong argument against any of the four receivers chosen (Randy Moss, New England; Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis; Braylon Edwards, Cleveland, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Cincinnati). Each has been exceptional in his own right.

But what about Wes Welker?

Wes Welker has had a big year for the Patriots but he isn't headed to Hawaii.

Besides Moss and quarterback Tom Brady, Welker has been a major factor in the Patriots' perfect season. It could be argued that without Welker's ability to consistently get open over the middle, there would be far fewer long-distance connections between Brady and Moss on the perimeter. Numerous coaches and league executives have told me that the key to New England's passing success is Welker. If you think about it the winning streak probably would have ended against Philadelphia had Welker not come through with his 13-catch game.

Other than New England's Matt Light, I can't say that I totally agree with the AFC choices at offensive tackle. Baltimore's Jonathan Ogden is a Pro Bowl fixture and certainly had reputation going for him. However, there isn't a whole lot about the Ravens' offense this season that said Pro Bowl to me. Buffalo's Jason Peters was worthy of recognition, although, again, the Bills' offense hardly made a case for anyone to be considered an all-star.

A player who should have been included was Cleveland rookie Joe Thomas, who has performed very much like an established veteran in both pass protection and run-blocking. Without Thomas, the Browns would not have their explosive passing game, Jamal Lewis would not be experiencing a career revival, and Cleveland would not be in contention to reach the postseason for the first time since 2002.

Speaking of the Browns, their quarterback, Derek Anderson would have been my pick over Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger for the third spot behind Brady and Indianapolis' Peyton Manning. Anderson has done a tremendous job of getting the ball into the hands of Edwards and his other talented receivers. A strong case also could be made for Jacksonville's David Garrard to fill the No. 3 quarterback job on the AFC squad. Garrard has been incredibly efficient while also making big plays to complement the running of Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew.

Speaking of Taylor, why isn't he one of the AFC team's running backs? San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson and Pittsburgh's Willie Parker are good picks, and I don't have any serious issue with the selection of the Colts' Joseph Addai. However, Taylor has been such a huge factor in allowing the Jaguars to establish themselves as one of the top teams in the AFC.

I like the AFC's three defensive ends -- Kansas City's Jared Allen, Tennessee's Kyle Vanden Bosch, and Taylor. But how was Houston's Mario Williams left out? True, his biggest game (3 sacks) didn't come until Week 15 against Denver, but he was having a strong enough year before then to merit a trip to the Pro Bowl.

Now for some second-guessing on the NFC side.

Marques Coltson is second in the NFC in receptions but he won't be going to Hawaii.

I'm generally OK with the four receiver picks: Terrell Owens, Dallas; Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona; Torry Holt, St. Louis, and Donald Driver, Green Bay. But I'm surprised not to see the name of the Saints' Marques Colston. After all, he is second in the conference with 87 receptions for 1,092 yards and nine touchdowns. That's better than all of the receivers chosen (Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten of the Cowboys is first with 88 catches).

Although Driver was more productive, the Packer receiver I would have selected was Greg Jennings, who had a much higher yards-per-catch average (17.6 to Driver's 13.0) and many more touchdowns (12 to Driver's two).

Three other Green Bay players with legitimate beefs for being left out of the Pro Bowl voting are offensive tackle Chad Clifton, linebacker Nick Barnett, and cornerback Charles Woodson.

The Packers' offense is about much more than Brett Favre's ageless arm or the pass-catching skills of Driver and Jennings. Clifton had done a tremendous job of helping to give Favre ample time to throw, and in opening holes for Ryan Grant, who emerged from virtually nowhere to give the Packers a running game.

Barnett and Woodson have been two of the best players on a solid defense. Barnett is on a par statistically with the two inside/middle linebackers chosen, Seattle's Lofa Tatupu and San Francisco rookie Patrick Willis. Al Harris, the Packers' other cornerback, did make the NFC squad, which probably hurt Woodson's ability to also be selected. But Woodson has had an outstanding year and is arguably the stronger player in coverage.

Of course, at least the Packers had multiple Pro Bowl selections. Certainly, one member of Tampa Bay's defense, which ranks third in the league and second against the pass, deserved one. What about cornerback Ronde Barber, who has two interceptions, a forced fumble, and a sack? Or how about linebacker Barrett Ruud, who has 108 tackles, three forced fumbles, and a pair of interceptions?

Have a question for Vic on anything NFL related? Don't just sit there -- send it to AskVic@nfl.com, and the best questions will be answered throughout the season right here on NFL.com!
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story;jsessionid=1B2DFC7C8955696563BCDD1F7892971D?id=09000d5d8053b527&template=with-video&confirm=true

Count Zarth
12-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Colquitt isn't going to go, Brian Moorman is, Buffalo's punter and that guy is damn good.

Colquitt hasn't been that great this year. He's been very good, but not elite.

Pestilence
12-18-2007, 10:58 PM
How the **** does Welker not make it?

banyon
12-18-2007, 11:00 PM

The header is right. Colston too.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 05:31 AM
No Jags, no Bucs, no Saints - three possible (probable) playoff teams.

Steamboat Springs
12-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Who are the Kansas City Chiefs Pro Bowl alternates?

CHENZ A!
12-22-2007, 01:30 AM
rich scanlon or somebody

Valiant
12-22-2007, 01:46 AM

I don't think he should have made it over the ones selected.. Now Fred Taylor there is a point...

Colston and Jennings should have taken Holts and Drivers spots on the NFC side, but **** the NFC i dont really like them..

Steamboat Springs
12-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Screw Wes Welker. Somebody needs to bust out the fly swatter for that little shit.

Who are the Kansas City Chiefs Pro Bowl alternates? Where's WPI when you need them? Get on it fatso.

Smell My Dump
02-04-2008, 09:20 PM
The Pro Bowl is this Sunday! The most underrated and underappreciated game in football. We get to see Gonzalez and Allen sport Chiefs helmets on the field. I am so excited!!!