PDA

View Full Version : The High Priest

Wolfe
07-21-2001, 09:06 PM
Priest Holmes was a Raven for 3(?) seasons, and he should be a welcomed addition to The Chiefs. Not only is he a super runner, who'll get STRONGER as the game grows longer, but he's a superb pass catcher, and an all around great guy!
I suppose that he's going to be featured as your #1 RB, right?
Best of Luck,
Wolfe, Baltimore, MD.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-21-2001, 09:09 PM
Thanks Wolfe!

I hope he or one of our backs gets it done. Whoever it is, I don't care, as long as we win!!! If its Holmes, so be it!!!

CG

is hungry:D

Chiefs Pantalones
07-21-2001, 09:11 PM
Oops, sorry, I forgot to answer.

Yes, he is listed as the featured back, but whoever steps up will get the job.

Do you think he can carry the load the entire season?

Wolfe
07-21-2001, 09:27 PM
Cody,
He always did whatever he was asked, and more! Not injury prone, and has really great vision. Super good on the cut back run and has enough speed to run away from linemen and backers.
I'm glad (and you'll be too) that they plan to start him. Jemal Lewis, Raven rookie in 2000, alway gave Priest much credit for showing him the ropes, knowing that Jemal was gonna eventually start over him! What a guy...
Wolfe

HC_Chief
07-21-2001, 09:27 PM
Holmes will be the man! I really liked this signing...I think the majority of KC fans will too after they see him perform. :)

BTW, welcome Wolfe. Pull up a chair and let's talk some football (doesn't necessarily have to be about the Chiefs)

Cormac
07-22-2001, 08:23 AM
Wolfe,

Thanks for your input. I am hoping Holmes becomes the legit feature back that we have been lacking for years! He does seem to be a great locker room guy from what I have read. Many of us expect him to get a lot of carries, but Tony Richardson will get the carries in one-back sets according to Vermeil. With a more mobile O-line system, we could have an exciting running game with Holmes et al.

BTW, if you hang around the board, be prepared to be inundated with questions about Grbac! :D

TEX
07-22-2001, 11:25 AM
Holmes is an AVERAGE NFL RB on a running back starved team. He was slightly above average at TEXAS and only had 1 solid year in the NFL. I will be surprised if he emerges as the Chiefs feature back.

chieffanphil
07-22-2001, 12:10 PM
between Holmes and Tony Richardson i am as excited about our running game now as i have been since we first got Marcus Allen . Go Chiefs

Packfan
07-22-2001, 12:32 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs have no idea what you mean by "feature back". Priest Holmes will have Donnell Bennett numbers for the Chiefs and next year they will once again be wondering what a feature back is and how to get one.

Nelson Muntz
07-22-2001, 12:50 PM
Hey packfan, why don't you give him a chance before you start bitching about him. Is your life so pathetic that all you can do is hang around here and ***** about every little thing that you percieve to be wrong with the Chiefs?

Archie F. Swin
07-22-2001, 01:15 PM
I just hope that PH gets to play a whole game. It would be a refreshing change.

milkman
07-22-2001, 01:22 PM
Pac,
You can blame CP for a lot of the ills that the Chiefs have suffered through the years, but the RBbC is part of the essense of Martyball. It's a concept he brought with him from Cleveland.

I am not on the Vermeil bandwagon, but he at least does understand the value of a feature back, and knows what one looks like.

We may not have found a feature back in Holmes (and I am one that believes that he won't be), but Vermeil will at least give him every oppotunity to prove whether he is or not, something that every back in KC under Marty and Gun never got.

NaptownChief
07-22-2001, 01:30 PM
I sure hope Preist turns out to be the man for us but my guess is TRich will be our primary ball carrier and D.Blaylock will work his self into the chage of pace 3rd down back by mid season...

Packfan
07-23-2001, 08:28 AM
Fellas,

Blame Marty all you want for the running back by committee concept. But lets not fool ourselves here: The Chiefs really havent had a guy who could carry the load for the entire season. Is that Marty's fault for making due with what he had? No. Its Peterson's fault for bringing scrub and scrub into KC to carry the ball. Greg Hill? Bam Morris? 33 year old Marcus Allen? Harvey Williams?

Marty had such crap at runningback that he even tried Vanover there. How desperate is that?

BTW, didnt Marty have a 1000 yard rusher while he was in Cleveland? Mack maybe? I could have sworn he did.

California Injun
07-23-2001, 08:33 AM
Coulda sworn Marty had a 1,000 yard rusher from Nigeria....

TEX
07-23-2001, 10:14 AM
Ken
Let's go down your list of RB's.

Greg Hill - All indications were that he was worthy of the #1 draft pick coming out of college. Marty and the COACHES did NOT give him a fair shot.

Harvey Williams - Had a good first year. Thrived in another offense.

Bam Morris - You're right here. BOTh Marty and Carl are to blame here.

Marcus Allen - a GOOD MOVE. He made the Pro Bowl remember?

The way I see it is that Carl made 3 out of 4 right moves.

KCTitus
07-23-2001, 10:35 AM
Wolfe: thanks for the info. I believe that Vermeil is planning on using both Richardson and Holmes in tandem.

I hope, as you say, that he is successful in KC's system if for no other reason than to see the team succeed this coming season. That said, however, there are a lot of questions that this team has to answer. Im very excited that the season is about to begin so that we can see what kind of team KC has.

btw, welcome to the bb, hopefully you'll stick around as we can allways use an outsiders perspective.

Shootr
07-23-2001, 10:40 AM
Pac--
Mack did rush for 1,000 yards...the same year Byner did! Again, Marty used Rbbc in Cleveland, it's just that Mack and Byner BOTH rushed for 1,000 yards.

Packfan
07-23-2001, 11:07 AM
Good point Injun.

For those of you that dont think Marty worth a sh!t, remember that he has been to three AFC Championship games. The way the Chiefs have peformed since he left, I think most of you would be happy just making the playoffs.

Harvey Williams?????? He "thrived" in another offense?? Where? The Raiders thought so much of his 400 carries for 1000 yards that they cut him!

Marcus Allen?? Yes, he did make the pro bowl, but lets be realistic here, 899 yards isnt that tough to get and for some reason, Allen was the guy who always game in to the game on first and goal from the 1. Somebody else helped get the Chiefs down there, but Allen was the guy to get that final yard. Big deal.

Greg Hill?? I didnt like the way Marty used him either. But he didnt do anything outside of KC and last I heard, was unemployed. There are quite a few RBs that Peterson drafted that didnt do squat with the Chiefs and didnt do anything with anybody else.

The guy simply can not draft running backs. He doesnt have a clue!

Mark M
07-23-2001, 11:48 AM
Pack--
I'll have to agree and disagree with you.

I agree that Peterson has a penchant for picking piss-poor RBs. He got lucky with Okoye, Word was a flash-in-the-pan, Williams' wasn't all that, Allen, while still effective, wasn't nearly the player he was earlier in his career and the others probably shouldn't have been more than backups.

But, to argue the other side, some never even got the chance. Greg Hill ripped off a, what, 94 yard run in the first few plays against Denver that one year? And then he only gets two more carries the entire game? WTF? I'm not saying that Hill, Cloud, Shehe or any others could've been featured backs, but none have been or were given enough carries to show one way or the other.

Barry Sanders is a great example of why a back should be given at least 20-30 carries a game to prove their worth (not comparing Chiefs backs to him, just using him as an example). Barry would get stuffed 4 or 5 times in a row either at or behind the line of scrimmage, then BOOM! an 80-yard, making-the-defense-look-like-lost-little-children run that made you say "WOW!" If Sanders were in Marty's offense, he would've been out of the league in 3 years, IMO.

And Greg Hill is unemployed because he broke his femur while with the Rams (he was to be their "Marshall Faulk" type back). Difficult injury to recover from.

As far as the topic goes (welcome, Wolfe!) I haven't seen enough of PH to make a decision. However, after lurking on a few Ravens' boards I can say that the fans thought he was a good player and person. He was a casualty of the Ravens drafting the best player available. I will just wait and hope that whomever it the "featured" back actually gets a chance.

MM
~~Talking football. ;)

Mark M
07-23-2001, 02:11 PM
I posted below, but it didn't register and update ... :confused:

MM
~~Starved for attention ;)

HC_Chief
07-23-2001, 02:49 PM
I think Holmes is going to surprise a whole lot of people here. This guy is the best back we've had since Marcus...can do it all.

TRich's role will be exactly what it has been: FULLBack. He will not get as many touches as he has in the past, but he'll still be a major contributor.

Baby Lee
07-23-2001, 02:56 PM
And Greg Hill is unemployed because he broke his femur while with the Rams (he was to be their "Marshall Faulk" type back). Difficult injury to recover from.

Not to mention that, by week 3 he was the Rams leading rusher [@ 120 ypg], and he carried that title nearly to the end of the season despite not playing another down that year.

Iowanian
07-23-2001, 03:12 PM
Greg Hill was doing some good things in STLouis.....His leg injury is exactly what stopped him..I still say he had potential.

I don't care which back gets the carries...I just want Vermeil to pick a back, and use him the whole game.....at least a half.....If its TR or PH...great.....I just will be thrilled to see a Chiefs RB getting 20-25 CPG....If one doesn't get it done, use another next week....until we find a consistant 25carry RB.....enough to get a rythem in the game.

~happy with either choice.

htismaqe
07-23-2001, 03:15 PM
You guys beat me to it because I couldn't post...

Greg Hill had 262 yards rushing after week 2 that year...broke his leg in the 1st quarter of week 3...

He was a good back before that injury...his lack of time here in KC was directly due to Marty being a dumbass...

DanT
07-23-2001, 03:18 PM
Wolfe's post makes me even more hopeful about Holmes fulfilling his role with the club. The last time we got an unsolicited endorsement about a recent acquisition from a fan in Wolfe's neck of the woods was regarding Marvcus Patton, who ended up being a team MVP for us.

Wolfe, I wish I could return the endorsement regarding Grbac. I was a big Grbacker while he was here and believe that he has some good passing skills, especially when it comes to making long passes "low risk and high reward", but now that he's gone, I look back on his time with the club as being divisive to our fanbase, mostly due to Grbac's subpar intelligence. He lacks Dilfer's class and smarts and it probably won't take too long before he works his hoodoo on another border state's fans and causes a schism there. :(

Anyway, good luck this season, Wolfe. The Ravens played great football last year and I hope their defense this season has something of the kind of encore year that the 1986 Bears had following their championship season. Historically great defenses like the 85-86 Bears and the 2000 Ravens win fans all around the country!

TEX
07-23-2001, 04:30 PM
Packfan,
Yes, Williams did THRIVE in OAKLAND for 2 years. Didn't he gain over 1,000 yards rushing his first year there? He also had good receiving yards. No, I didn't like him as a Chief, but coming out of college, he had great potential. I can't blame Carl for that pick. Remember, at the time KC had both Okoye and Word and WIlliams represented a great change of pace back.

Greg Hill also was good coming out of college. At the time, he was second only to the great Earl Campbell in many SWC Conference records. I can't blame Carl/Marty for that pick either. All indications were that he was clearly worthy of being a # 1 draft pick. The Chiefs (MARTY) used him WRONG. He did NOT get a fair shake in KC. AS others have said, Hill was leading the league in rushing when he broke his leg.

Marcus Allen was still PRODUCTIVE in KC. There is simply no way to discredit him. His average was above 4.0 and he MOST ALWAYS got the tough yardage. He was still the BEST in the NFL at doing so while he was in KC. Signing Marcus was actually one of Carl's BEST MOVES. Now, whether it was a lucky one or not is another story.

Don't let your disgust for Carl blind you so much...:cool:

HC_Chief
09-09-2002, 02:17 PM
Bump ;)

Pitt Gorilla
09-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by KC-CHIEFS-FAN-TX
Holmes is an AVERAGE NFL RB on a running back starved team. He was slightly above average at TEXAS and only had 1 solid year in the NFL. I will be surprised if he emerges as the Chiefs feature back.
Wow, that was insightful. ROFL

Rain Man
09-09-2002, 02:24 PM
I too think he'll be a strong addition to the club. Wolfe just recognized it before I did with his 14 month old post.

HC_Chief
09-09-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Packfan
The Kansas City Chiefs have no idea what you mean by "feature back". Priest Holmes will have Donnell Bennett numbers for the Chiefs and next year they will once again be wondering what a feature back is and how to get one.

Even better! ROFL :LOL: ROFL :LOL:

Rain Man
09-09-2002, 02:27 PM

This is quite accurate, except for the fact that Priest's numbers for the year equaled Donnell's numbers for his career.

BIG_DADDY
09-09-2002, 02:35 PM
Priest rocks!!! He put me in first place in my FFB league as well!! How long is he signed for?

KCTitus
09-09-2002, 02:36 PM
The facts dont lie....Bennett was better.

Donnell Bennett in 1999 had a higher ypc than Priest did in 2001, just ask Proctor.

:rolleyes:

Joe Seahawk
09-09-2002, 02:38 PM
Tait has a higher ypc too...:D

Logical
09-09-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by BIG_DADDY
Priest rocks!!! He put me in first place in my FFB league as well!! How long is he signed for?

He is signed through 2005 but if he continues this way he will definitely deserve an increase in his contract value. Here is what his salaries are for the next 4 years from NFLPA:

2002 $750,000.00
2003 $1,200,000.00
2004 $1,400,000.00
2005 $1,600,000.00

HC_Chief
09-09-2002, 02:41 PM
Holy *#$%! :eek:

Bargain!!!

ChiTown
09-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by HC_Chief
Holy *#$%! :eek:

Bargain!!!

I gar. FN Tee that this contract will be re-worked if Priest has another stellar year.

BIG_DADDY
09-09-2002, 02:44 PM
Jim,

Thanks brother. That has to be the deal of a lifetime. That just has to be killing those Ravens fans. :LOL:

Multi2
09-09-2002, 02:47 PM

Is this guy still active here? He should be eating crow right now. Not only for last year but for the year about to happen!!

Logical
09-09-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Chief_1963

Is this guy still active here? He should be eating crow right now. Not only for last year but for the year about to happen!!

He comes around once in a while. I think he came on a while back and admitted Priest had a year, but then said something along the one year wonder type of thing we are all used to hearing by now.

Lzen
09-09-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Joe Seahawk
Tait has a higher ypc too...:D
ROFL

the Talking Can
09-09-2002, 03:21 PM
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Once again you're spot on!ROFL

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2002, 03:26 PM
Such a great thread to read again. ROFL