PDA

View Full Version : Matsko, offensive line coach

King_Chief_Fan
12-18-2007, 12:58 PM
If we had much discussion about Matsko, I must have missed it.

When he was with St. Louis, the KC offensive line reminds me very much of what St. Louis had under his coaching.

I know we don't have the best personnel in the world on o line, but I think we can contribute a lot of the failure on Matsko as well.

Don't forget to take him out with the rest of the trash.

Anyone else favor Solari back as O line coach? Could he do something with that line.......if he can, why didn't he even though he is the OC.

Micjones
12-18-2007, 01:03 PM
I'd love to have Solari back as our O-line coach.
He did a hell of a job...

jspchief
12-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Will Shields and Willie Roaf could make any O-line coach look good.

A few years back one of the O-linemen said Solari wasn't really the type to coach up technique. If we're planning on grooming young guys, Solari isn't who we want.

OnTheWarpath58
12-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Players have just as much to do with success as coaches do.

Show me a coach with a lack of talented players, and more often than not, that coach is considered unsuccessful.

Show me a coach with loads of talented players, and more often than not, he's considered successful.

Bill Belichick wasn't a "genius" in Cleveland.

But he is in New England, surrounded by talent.

FAX
12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Will Shields and Willie Roaf could make any O-line coach look good. ....

Good to see you, Mr. jspchief.

I agree, by the way. It's difficult to separate the rotten wheat from the disease-ridden chaff on this team. It's so bad you don't know where the bad coaching stops and the terrible play begins.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 01:15 PM
I have no idea if Matsko is the guy to develop an offensive line.

But I do know that it would be impossible to make any offensive line coach look good with over-the-hill players such as Turley, Welbourne, Weigmann, Will Svitek (never-was) and Damien McIntosh.

They're basically the equivalent of Eric Hicks. In other words, five guys like Eric Hicks on the offensive line.

Putrid.

Chiefnj2
12-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Players have just as much to do with success as coaches do.

Show me a coach with a lack of talented players, and more often than not, that coach is considered unsuccessful.

Show me a coach with loads of talented players, and more often than not, he's considered successful.

Bill Belichick wasn't a "genius" in Cleveland.

But he is in New England, surrounded by talent.

Belichick had the Browns turning in the right direction when news hit that they were moving.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Belichick had the Browns turning in the right direction when news hit that they were moving.

1991: 6-10
1992: 7-9
1993: 7-9
1994: 11-5
1995: 5-11

I took three seasons before securing a winning record, then that was followed by a losing season.

Belichick with the Pats:

2000: 5-11
2001: 11-5 (Super Bowl and the arrival of Tom Brady).

I'm sure that Belichick is an excellent head coach but it sure does help to have a solid football team AND a superstar quarterback.

OnTheWarpath58
12-18-2007, 01:23 PM

6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11

Was that last 5-11 season a "lame-duck" season, because I don't remember.

Regardless, I stand by my words.

Give BB this roster, and I bet he goes no better than 6-10.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 01:25 PM
6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11

As I posted just above, he was 5-11 before Brady in NE.

Herm may never be in the same category as Belichick but I have a hard time believing that even he could squeeze a few more victories out of this bunch.

Chiefnj2
12-18-2007, 01:28 PM
6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11

The 11-5 season Cleveland had the #11 offense and #1 defense and won a wildcard game. The next year was when it was leaked the Browns were moving (I believe they were off to a 3-1 start) and it all went to hell.

OnTheWarpath58
12-18-2007, 01:31 PM
The 11-5 season Cleveland had the #11 offense and #1 defense and won a wildcard game. The next year was when it was leaked the Browns were moving (I believe they were off to a 3-1 start) and it all went to hell.

That's why I asked.

Couldn't remember if the news leaked in the middle of a season or not.

Chief Faithful
12-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I've said it before I believe Matsko is one of the coaches not getting it done. IMO, Matsko and his blocking scheme should be replaced along with Welborn, Weigman, and Turley. I would like to see a zone blocking scheme similar to what they run in Denver, Oakland, Atlanta, and Houston. I love misdirection plays and cut-backs.

cookster50
12-18-2007, 02:31 PM
But I do know that it would be impossible to make any offensive line coach look good with over-the-hill players such as Turley, Welbourne, Weigmann, Will Svitek (never-was) and Damien McIntosh.

Wow, I didn't realize Will Svitek was ancient. Dude looks good for his (old) age.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Wow, I didn't realize Will Svitek was ancient. Dude looks good for his (old) age.

In quotes, I put that Svitek was a never-was.

Get it?

Thanks for your valuable input. :rolleyes:

DMAC
12-18-2007, 03:15 PM
I'd love to have Solari back as our O-line coach.
He did a hell of a job...
No more demoting guys to their old jobs.

Fire him.

Move on.

We should have never brought Gunther "**** Family Day" Cunningham back.

HemiEd
12-18-2007, 03:22 PM
I have no idea if Matsko is the guy to develop an offensive line.

They're basically the equivalent of Eric Hicks. In other words, five guys like Eric Hicks on the offensive line.

Putrid.

Oh so much hate. You mispelled Welbourn Mr. Factual.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Oh so much hate. You mispelled Welbourn Mr. Factual.

Thanks for adding SO much to the conversation, Ed. :rolleyes:

HemiEd
12-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for adding SO much to the conversation, Ed. :rolleyes:

You ignor other peoples opinions and facts anyway. You have located an internet stat sheet, and that is all that matters.
Your hate for the team under Vermeil, is only outweighed by your blind homerism for Herm Edwards.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 05:10 PM
You ignor other peoples opinions and facts anyway. You have located an internet stat sheet, and that is all that matters.
Your hate for the team under Vermeil, is only outweighed by your blind homerism for Herm Edwards.

Really? Where?

Where Ed, in this thread, I have stated anything but the facts? Are you ACTUALLY stating that 2007's offensive line is just as talented as 2005's?

What, Ed? WTF are you implying?

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Oh, and BTW, my "internet stat sheet" is called

NFL.COM

Why don't you take a visit there before posting your inane "opinions" based on nothing other than spite.

morphius
12-18-2007, 05:52 PM
All I ask is that I see players get better, I honestly can't remember a player actually getting better over time on this team.

CoMoChief
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Irv Eatman did a lot of the coaching Solari was credited for. I'd much rather bring him back and just can Solari.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Irv Eatman did a lot of the coaching Solari was credited for. I'd much rather bring him back and just can Solari.

So Irv Eatman is the reason why the line was successful from 1997 to 2006?

Irv Eatman?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Irv Eatman was an offensive line coach for the Raiders in 2006.

What a job by that guy!