View Full Version : Icelandic woman shackled at JFK for overstaying visa

Thig Lyfe
12-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Unfortunately, no pics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22263392/

Iceland complains about treatment of tourist
Woman arrested at JFK for overstaying U.S. visa more than a decade earlier

updated 2:57 p.m. CT, Fri., Dec. 14, 2007

REYKJAVIK, Iceland - Iceland's government has asked the U.S. ambassador to explain the treatment of an Icelandic tourist who says she was held in shackles before being deported from the United States.

The woman, Erla Osk Arnardottir Lillendahl, 33, was arrested Sunday when she arrived at JFK airport in New York because she had overstayed a U.S. visa more than 10 years earlier.

Lillendahl, 33, had planned to shop and sightsee with friends, but endured instead what she has claimed was the most humiliating experience of her life.

She contended she was interrogated at JFK airport for two days, during which she was not allowed to call relatives. She said she was denied food and drink for part of the time, and was photographed and fingerprinted.

On Monday, Lillendahl claimed, her hands and feet were chained and she was moved to a prison in New Jersey, where she was kept in a cell, interrogated further and denied access to a phone.

She was deported Tuesday, she told reporters and wrote on her Internet blog.

On Thursday, Foreign Minister Ingibjorg Solrun Gisladottir told U.S. Ambassador Carol van Voorst that the treatment of Lillendahl was unacceptable.

"In a case such as this, there can be no reason to use shackles" Gisladottir said. "If a government makes a mistake, I think it is reasonable for it to apologize, like anyone else."

Van Voorst has contacted the officials at JFK airport and asked them to provide a report on Lillendahl's case, Gisladottir said.

AZORChiefFan
12-18-2007, 03:04 PM
**** Bjork.

HemiEd
12-18-2007, 03:17 PM
The woman, Erla Osk Arnardottir Lillendahl, 33, was arrested Sunday when she arrived at JFK airport in New York because she had overstayed a U.S. visa more than 10 years earlier.

That is a confusing sentence to me. Did she overstay her Visa by 10 years? Or she overstayed her visa 10 years ago?

kstater
George Bush doesn't care about Icelandic people.

Dunit35
I don't want you to feel shackled by our employer to employee relationship, unless you're into that kind of stuff. In that case I got some shackles in the back.

Pushead2
12-18-2007, 03:23 PM
That is a confusing sentence to me. Did she overstay her Visa by 10 years? Or she overstayed her visa 10 years ago?

same here :hmmm:

Cochise
12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
It's too bad we don't kick out everyone overstaying a Visa.

Demonpenz
12-18-2007, 03:40 PM
iceland has alot of green in it and greenland is mostly ice

underEJ
12-18-2007, 04:09 PM

I just read her blog about it, and though there may be translation issues, it's pretty clear she overstayed a visitor visa for 3 weeks in 1995. She also indicated she has visited New York without a problem since that incident thus leading her to believe all was okay with Customs.

She doesn't object to the deportation, just finds it confusing. She just objects to the transfer to a New Jersey jail while waiting and the being taken through the airport in front of the public to and from that jail, and claims she wasn't allowed to contact her consulate after requesting to do so. The consulate was told she was detained at the airport and gave no mention of the jail trip which would be unusual.

A strange story for sure.

stumppy
12-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Worthless thread. No pics.

stumppy
12-18-2007, 04:29 PM
WOW

I think this explains the shackles.

HolmeZz
12-18-2007, 04:31 PM
The Terminal was a great movie.

Rooster
12-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Icelandic women are some cold bitches yo.

stumppy
12-18-2007, 04:38 PM
A couple more pics from her blog. Yum Yum !

Rooster
12-18-2007, 04:46 PM
A couple more pics from her blog. Yum Yum !

She should be placed under house arrest........at my house....

FAX
12-18-2007, 05:23 PM
It appears that Erla was late.

FAX

Ari ümlaüt
12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
George Bush doesn't care about Icelandic people.

ROFL

FAX
12-18-2007, 05:25 PM
iceland has alot of green in it and greenland is mostly ice

Thanks, Mr. Demonpenz. I always get those two confused color-wise.

Actually, the only one I can consistently remember is Skidmarkland.

FAX

Thig Lyfe
12-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks, Mr. Demonpenz. I always get those two confused color-wise.

Actually, the only one I can consistently remember is Skidmarkland.

FAX

Have you ever watched D2: The Mighty Ducks? It's a great piece of cinema.

This story reminds me of the time Coach Bombay shacked that hot Icelandic chick. Except that time it was consensual.