PDA

View Full Version : New GM and Coach: What are your milestones?

irishjayhawk
12-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Let's say we get a new GM and coach.

(Yes, I'm aware it'd be miraculous and what not, but let's put that aside.)

What are your milestones for progress? How many years do you give each one? Do you give one more time than the other?

Questions like these.

So, I ask, what are your milestones for the GM? And the coach?

dirk digler
12-18-2007, 03:01 PM
10 years for the GM
5 for the Head Coach

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Four years for each with an option for a fifth.

If a GM/Coach can't show significant improvement in 4 years, then it's time to cut bait.

dirk digler
12-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Four years for each with an option for a fifth.

If a GM/Coach can't show significant improvement in 4 years, then it's time to cut bait.

I disagree on the GM. GM's usually last alot longer than coaches do because you want some continuity inside the front office

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 03:23 PM
It took 5 years for Clark & Policy to run the upstart Browns into the ground. They should not have been given another 5 years.

Terry Donohue trashed the 49ers in just a few short season.

Tom Donohoe pretty much destroyed the Bills in 5 years.

Matt Millen? Give me a break.

4 years for a GM/Coach with an option for a fifth year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-18-2007, 03:31 PM
A GM gets five years to prove he can field a competent franchise that is a threat to make the playoffs and then go deep. If he can do that, then he has five years to get a team to the Super Bowl and/or win it all. Extenuating circumstances could apply, such as if the owner forced a shitty coach on him.

dirk digler
12-18-2007, 03:32 PM
It took 5 years for Clark & Policy to run the upstart Browns into the ground. They should not have been given another 5 years.

Terry Donohue trashed the 49ers in just a few short season.

Tom Donohoe pretty much destroyed the Bills in 5 years.

Matt Millen? Give me a break.

There is always a flipside to everything.

Bill Polian was the GM of the Bills and the Colts and was there longer than 5 years each time. It took him 9 years to get the Colts to the SB.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
There is always a flipside to everything.

Bill Polian was the GM of the Bills and the Colts and was there longer than 5 years each time. It took him 9 years to get the Colts to the SB.

Which is exactly why you sign the new GM and Coach to 4 year contracts with an option for a fifth. At the end of those contracts, you evaluate their progress.

As I stated in my first post on this subject, 4 years should be more than adequate to determine whether or not the right people are in place.

Especially in today's NFL.

talastan
12-18-2007, 03:40 PM
I believe that 5 years for a GM would be fair. If we get a new HC then 3 for them. (Enough time to put together their type of team.)

dirk digler
12-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Which is exactly why you sign the new GM and Coach to 4 year contracts with an option for a fifth. At the end of those contracts, you evaluate their progress.

As I stated in my first post on this subject, 4 years should be more than adequate to determine whether or not the right people are in place.

Especially in today's NFL.

Yeah that makes sense.

I guess I should have been more clear I wouldn't ever sign a GM to a 10 yr contract I was more or less saying that should be the max.

siberian khatru
12-18-2007, 03:56 PM

Sounds good to me.

2-3 years ago, I went back and looked at how long it took coaches to get to a Super Bowl with their teams (this included guys like Parcells who took multiple teams to SBs). With maybe one exception that I can't recall, they all did it within 5 years. And remember, the fifth year (1993) was the high-water mark for Carl and Marty here.

hawkchief
12-18-2007, 03:57 PM
4 years for the GM with a 5th year option at his discretion, so long as he doesn't condescend to the paying customers/ "real fans" more than 5 times a year.