PDA

View Full Version : Free Downloadable Virus and Spyware protector??

Pushead2
12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Looking for a good one. Help

Shag
12-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Free A/V - www.avast.com

Lzen
12-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I recommend avast antivirus. For spyware, I would use Lavasoft Ad Aware and/or Spybot Search and Destroy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Spybot runs on 3 year old code, and Ad Aware can give people a lot of false positives, IMO.

It's better than nothing, but they have their limitations.

Last week you could have purchased 3 licenses of Zone Alarm for 15 bucks from Best Buy.

Kaspersky IS is the best, IMO.

Lzen
12-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Spybot runs on 3 year old code, and Ad Aware can give people a lot of false positives, IMO.

It's better than nothing, but they have their limitations.

Last week you could have purchased 3 licenses of Zone Alarm for 15 bucks from Best Buy.

Kaspersky IS is the best, IMO.

3 year old code? What, exactly, does this mean? It does update the definitions. Obviously, I am no expert on this. I'll take any and all info that I can get.

Guru
12-19-2007, 12:21 AM
3 year old code? What, exactly, does this mean? It does update the definitions. Obviously, I am no expert on this. I'll take any and all info that I can get.
I have had absolutely no problems using Adaware and Spybot S&D.

I have even gone to trendmicro.com to run their free virus and spyware removal tool to make sure adaware and spybot were getting everything. TM came up with zero.

I would say they do their job just fine.

And yes, Avast is an excellent FREE AV program.

foxman
12-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Anyone know if any of the freebies do Mac? I checked and Spybot and Adaware whom I have also used fabulously for years on PC do not support Mac.

DaFace
12-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Anyone know if any of the freebies do Mac? I checked and Spybot and Adaware whom I have also used fabulously for years on PC do not support Mac.

Macs are so secure, you don't need it. [/Mac fanboys]