PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: All About Perspective

C-Mac
12-19-2007, 06:23 AM
GRETZ: All About Perspective (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/12/19/gretz_all_about_perspective/)
Dec 19, 2007, 6:05:03 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Perspective is a funny thing.

Take last Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. Many folks in the media showed up for the game against the Titans and looked at the number of fans inside Arrowhead and declared it a miserable afternoon of fans staying away from the disappointing Chiefs.

Of course, most of them made these declarations from the warmth of the press box. They didnít spend four hours outside in the elements.

And it was cold. Take it from me. I watched the game from the sidelines and thank goodness the wind wasnít blowing, or it would have been really miserable.

I must say I was surprised at the size of the crowd that showed up for the game. Not in how few people were there but how many made the effort to come to the stadium to watch a struggling football team.

The team is mired in a losing streak, the weather is awful, itís the holiday season and thereís plenty to be done in other areas of life. I figured there would be 25,000 to 30,000 fans there.

The Chiefs release only the number of tickets sold for each game, and that was just more than 74,000. There were not 74,000 fans in the building. After 27 seasons of watching games at Arrowhead, my guess is that there were between 45,000 and 50,000 people in the house.

Congratulations to those fans who had the guts to show up. They were loud too, especially early in the game. They were loud near the end as well, and weíll talk about that in a few paragraphs.

Now, is that turnout something to be proud of because it wasnít as bad as expected? No, itís sad. Iím going to bet about 25,000 people paid for tickets and choose not to attend the game. That is not a good situation and believe me, none of this escaped the attention of the people who own and run the Chiefs.

But some in my business called this a disaster. Frankly, they have no idea what they are talking about because they have no perspective.

You want a disaster, how about December 18, 1983, when 11,377 fans showed up for the season finale against Denver. This was at a time when the Chiefs released in-house attendance, rather than tickets sold. It was also a time when the Chiefs liked to manipulate those numbers a bit, so thereís a chance even fewer fans were actually in the house.

Hereís another disaster: January 1, 1983, the final game of the 1982 season when 11,902 showed up to watch the Chiefs and New York Jets.

At the final home game of the 1985 season, only 18,178 showed for the Chiefs and Chargers.

There was the final home game of the 1987 season when only 20,370 fans were in Arrowhead to see the Chiefs play the Seahawks.

Those were disasters. That was ugly. That was apathy.

Which brings us to the fans who showed up to boo their home team, to scream in anger, to hold banners and signs with negative commentary directed at the players, coaches, head coach and general manager.

My perspective? I think thatís a good sign. Itís an indication that there is still a passion for Chiefs football. Fans are upset and they want to vent. That means they still care.

It hasnít always been that way. Back in those ugly days of the 1980s, there was no passion. The fans didnít care anymore. Every year it was S.O.C.=Same Old Chiefs. There was no hope for the future.

The 2007 season has been a bruising, troubling and disappointing time around Arrowhead Stadium. Thereís no hiding from that fact. But there is hope for the future. We have seen the future all season in young players getting on the field and contributing. They are making mistakes, but they are also gaining valuable experience thatís going to pay off in the future.

There is a commitment to building this team into a winner again, and an overall understanding in the building that this must be done by getting younger, not by going out and signing veteran free agents by the handful. The landscape isnít going to change at Arrowhead, it already has.

My perspective? Things are bad, but theyíve been worse, much worse. Thereís a plan in place and the future holds hope.

Bob Dole
12-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks for reminding Bob Dole that things have been worse, Blob. Oh...and there's that "plan".

It feels all better now.

Skip Towne
12-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks for reminding Bob Dole that things have been worse, Blob. Oh...and there's that "plan".

It feels all better now.
See, you just needed to have it explained to you.

StillHonest
12-19-2007, 07:18 AM
With any luck Gretz is on the "cut list".

Bob, dont try to polish a turd.

the Talking Can
12-19-2007, 07:19 AM
jesus ass eating christ yet ANOTHER article saying that "things aren't that bad" and spreading the LIE that this was a rebuilding year, so DON'T YOU WORRY YOUR PRETTY LITTLE HEADS....

our "journalists" need to be fired every bit as much as Carl...they're just as a smug and clueless...

HemiEd
12-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Everything is going to be Ok, Herm has a plan.

TEX
12-19-2007, 07:30 AM
jesus ass eating christ yet ANOTHER article saying that "things aren't that bad" and spreading the LIE that this was a rebuilding year, so DON'T YOU WORRY YOUR PRETTY LITTLE HEADS....

our "journalists" need to be fired every bit as much as Carl...they're just as a smug and clueless...

You said it all... :shake:

siberian khatru
12-19-2007, 07:30 AM
There was the final home game of the 1987 season when only 20,370 fans were in Arrowhead to see the Chiefs play the Seahawks.

I covered that game for the Columbia Missourian. The Chiefs won. IIRC Steve Largent set a receiving record.

That was the last time I was in Arrowhead. Heh, I've got something in common with Frank Gansz. :)

TEX
12-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Those teams of the past had a history of suckage - if we endure another season like this, I bet less than 20K show up for next year's final home game too.

splatbass
12-19-2007, 09:01 AM

Why is it a lie? It has been pretty clear from the beginning that this is a rebuilding year.

ChiTown
12-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Only Bob Gretz could write a fluff piece on the sinking of the Titanic.........lmfao

ChiTown
12-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Only Bob Gretz could write a fluff piece on the sinking of the Titanic.........lmfao

"While thousands died, thousands more were able to get a scenic view from their outdoor private vessel (row boat) in the cool, clear Atlantic evening......."

the Talking Can
12-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Why is it a lie? It has been pretty clear from the beginning that this is a rebuilding year.

i'd like evidence of that...are there quotes from Herm and Carl saying, before the season started, that we are rebuilding? I've not seen them.

because they were both on record saying we need to "win now"....

and you don't rebuild by playingt a 34 yr old backup while your QBTF rots on the bench, or cut rookie kickers after 1 game, or bench the RB you drafted behind the Priest Holmes reality show...all decisions which were made for the present, at the expense of the future...

we only claimed we were rebuilding after injuries forced us to...and Herm is also on record saying that he hasn't played his rookies tackles much because "the games are so close"...again, that ain't rebuilding...that's benching rookies for vets to "win now"....

HemiEd
12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
i'd like evidence of that...are there quotes from Herm and Carl saying, before the season started, that we are rebuilding? I've not seen them.

and you don't rebuild by playingt a 34 yr old backup while your QBTF rots on the bench, or cut rookie kickers after 1 game, or bench the RB you drafted behind the Priest Holmes reality show...all decisions which were made for the present, at the expense of the future...

we only claimed we were rebuilding after injuries forced us to...and Herm is also on record saying that he hasn't played his rookies tackles much because "the games are so close"...again, that ain't rebuilding...that's benching rookies for vets to "win now"....

The signing of Donnie Edwards made it perfectly clear, especially after letting KM go.

thehead
12-19-2007, 09:22 AM

I agree ,after the first plan crashed all the sudden we have another plan.

ChiTown
12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
I agree ,after the first plain crashed all the sudden we have another plain.

THERE WAS A "PLAIN" CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG11111111111111

siberian khatru
12-19-2007, 09:25 AM
"While thousands died, thousands more were able to get a scenic view from their outdoor private vessel (row boat) in the cool, clear Atlantic evening......."

ROFL

thehead
12-19-2007, 09:27 AM
THERE WAS A "PLAIN" CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG11111111111111

ROFL I fixed it

FringeNC
12-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Gretz again is full of shit. All NFL teams sellout their games now. The Chiefs' recent home crowds may have been the smallest actual crowds for any NFL team this season. Another big "**** you" to that idiot Gretz.

King_Chief_Fan
12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
GRETZ: All About Perspective (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/12/19/gretz_all_about_perspective/)
Dec 19, 2007, 6:05:03 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Congratulations to those fans who had the guts to show up. They were loud too, especially early in the game.

more like condolences to those fans who hung on to a glimmer of hope (not sure where they found that) of the Chiefs winning that game. Time to find somehting else to do with life as long as Herm is in KC.

ChiefGator
12-19-2007, 11:39 AM
I agree ,after the first plan crashed all the sudden we have another plan.

Was the first plan "try to add the missing pieces to be competitive this year, while still infusing the team with some new young talent"? Those bastages... they should have started with the "lose as many games as possible because we are rebuilding" philosophy.

...all decisions which were made for the present, at the expense of the future...

I wish we were getting into the playoffs in the present, instead of some hope that by sucking this year (and maybe next year) we are going to magically ride into the Super Bowl in 2008 or 2009.

FAX
12-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Preach it, Mr. the Talking Can!!!

FAX

DJJasonp
12-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Gretz writes a story on "perspective"...classic!

Hard to get a clear perspective on things with your head half-way up carl's ass all the time.

DaFace
12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Is Gretz formally employed by the Chiefs, or do his articles just end up on the web site? If it's the former, he needs to go along with the rest of the front office. The articles coming out of there these past few weeks are just plain embarrassing.

HemiEd
12-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I wish we were getting into the playoffs in the present, instead of some hope that by sucking this year (and maybe next year) we are going to magically ride into the Super Bowl in 2008 or 2009.

Me too. But Herm has put one foot on each side of the fence. There was no chance to succeed at either endeavor. Current failure is no guarantee of future success, especially when being orchastrated by idiots. Herm has a better chance of snagging his balls, when trying to get his feet on the same side of the fence.

KCChiefsFan88
12-19-2007, 01:06 PM
So Dictator Carl's rationale is things are still swell because they aren't as bad as they were during perhaps the darkest period in Chiefs history... a.k.a... the late '70s-early 1980's.

I was at the New Years Day 1983 Game vs the Jets when there were like 10,000 people at the stadium... if the Chiefs continue to display arrogance towards the fanbase and deny the legitmate anger and disgust the fans are feeling... they are heading for those empty stadiums again.

The next step for the fanbase if things don't change is apathy

KCChiefsFan88
12-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Is Gretz formally employed by the Chiefs, or do his articles just end up on the web site? If it's the former, he needs to go along with the rest of the front office. The articles coming out of there these past few weeks are just plain embarrassing.

Bob Gretz is employed by Dictator Carl's propaganda arm. This includes the likes of Jon Rand, Brad Kuhbander, Peter Moris, Eileen Weir, Bob Moore, Len Dawson and Mitch Holthus.

The only thing worse than these disgraces to journalism are the WANNABE Dictator Carl ass-kissers over at Wargarbage Illustrated.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
them baggy sweat pants and the reebok's with the straps

Chief Henry
12-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Tits on a boar > Blob Gretz

Dear Blob,

You and Carl both are so yesterday. I personally can't wait for both of you to leave town forever.
You've been covering Carl's ass for too long.
Your article's are hardly of any value to us.
Take Carl with you after this season. Carl's
plan's have failed misserably the last ten years.
All of DV offense did nothing to get us to the Superbowl.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Blob Gretz

trndobrd
12-19-2007, 02:09 PM
This was not a rebuilding year. This was the end of an era.

A "rebuilding year" is fraught with the woes of youthful mistakes, rookies playing poorly late in the season as they are overwhelmed by the length of the NFL season, befuddlement as inexperienced players struggle to digest the complex schemes of the NFL, and react with uncertainty of their assignments.

The end of an era is when you have older players out for extended periods with injury, veteran players consistently one half step too slow to make a play, and a scheme formulated for players who are no longer on the roster.

I have no problem with the former, letting the 2nd year QB hold the clipboard for a couple games isn't necessarily wrong, I don't even have a problem with brining in select veteran leadership (i.e. Donnie Edwards) as long as they still contribute. But let's call this what it is, the last throwes of the DV era, not a rebuilding year.

talastan
12-19-2007, 02:55 PM
But let's call this what it is, the last throwes of the DV era, not a rebuilding year.
WCO here we come......maybe Martyball!! :rolleyes:
Next two games will be played like last week.

I think this what the big plan is going to be.

splatbass
12-19-2007, 03:11 PM

A "rebuilding year" is fraught with the woes of youthful mistakes, rookies playing poorly late in the season as they are overwhelmed by the length of the NFL season, befuddlement as inexperienced players struggle to digest the complex schemes of the NFL, and react with uncertainty of their assignments.

Which of these things didn't we have?

KCChiefsFan88
12-19-2007, 03:14 PM
WCO here we come......maybe Martyball!! :rolleyes:
Next two games will be played like last week.

I think this what the big plan is going to be.

If Vermeil/Al Saunders were still here, the offense would not be anywhere close to being as bad as it is now.

Remember even during year 1 of the Vermeil era, with the team going through a radical transformation on offense the Chiefs still finished 5th in total offense.

And that was with fat Victor Riley at right tackle, skiddish John Tait at left tackle and the likes of a washed up Derrick Alexander, Snoop Minnis and Larry Parker at WR (not to mention former Lamb Tony Horne who didn't even make the final roster)

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
If Vermeil/Al Saunders were still here, the offense would not be anywhere close to being as bad as it is now.

Remember even during year 1 of the Vermeil era, with the team going through a radical transformation on offense the Chiefs still finished 5th in total offense.

And that was with fat Victor Riley at right tackle, skiddish John Tait at left tackle and the likes of a washed up Derrick Alexander, Snoop Minnis and Larry Parker at WR (not to mention former Lamb Tony Horne who didn't even make the final roster) at WR

So you're fine with a losing record as long as we have a high ranked offense?

:stupid:

Agent V
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/chief103182/herms-plan2.gif

KCChiefsFan88
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
So you're fine with a losing record as long as we have a high ranked offense?

:stupid:

I can tolerate a season of losing if there are legit signs that a foundation for future success is being built. Success in the NFL today is all about having a great offense (see New England, Dallas, Indy and Green Bay).

Vermeil and Al Saunders have the knowledge/expertise/experience to build a great offense

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Vermeil and Al Saunders have the knowledge/expertise/experience to build a great offense

They had 5 years, built a statistical offensive machine and accomplished absolutely nothing. NEXT.

trndobrd
12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Which of these things didn't we have?

Plenty from the young players that got to see the field, and that's OK. Too much from veterans that should be performing better.

Calcountry
12-19-2007, 04:02 PM

The end of an era is when you have older players out for extended periods with injury, veteran players consistently one half step too slow to make a play, and a scheme formulated for players who are no longer on the roster.

I have no problem with the former, letting the 2nd year QB hold the clipboard for a couple games isn't necessarily wrong, I don't even have a problem with brining in select veteran leadership (i.e. Donnie Edwards) as long as they still contribute. But let's call this what it is, the last throwes of the DV era, not a rebuilding year.Seriously, I think DV would have coaxed more points out of our offense this year.

FAX
12-19-2007, 04:04 PM

I have no problem with the former, letting the 2nd year QB hold the clipboard for a couple games isn't necessarily wrong, I don't even have a problem with brining in select veteran leadership (i.e. Donnie Edwards) as long as they still contribute. But let's call this what it is, the last throwes of the DV era, not a rebuilding year.

Good post, Mr. trndobrd. Very well put.

FAX

CoMoChief
12-19-2007, 04:07 PM
You want a disaster, how about December 18, 1983, when 11,377 fans showed up for the season finale against Denver. This was at a time when the Chiefs released in-house attendance, rather than tickets sold. It was also a time when the Chiefs liked to manipulate those numbers a bit, so thereís a chance even fewer fans were actually in the house.

Yeah like they're not trying to manipulate anything by still celebrating the sell out streak when corporations and TV stations buy out the tickets so the game isn't blacked out.

trndobrd
12-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Seriously, I think DV would have coaxed more points out of our offense this year.

I think a monkey, randomly selecting pieces of paper out of a box maked "run", "swing pass", "draw", "sweep", "screen pass", and "go route" would have put more points on the board this season.