PDA

View Full Version : ***Official John McCain in 2008 Bandwagon***

banyon
12-20-2007, 02:55 PM
I figured since it's never the poster who actually supports the candidates starting these things, why not me?

A man generally recognized for his integrity and patriotism. Not beloved by the establishment.

He stood up to Bush & co pre 2000, but seems to have them at his side now.

banyon
12-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Drudge Rumor on 'NYT' and McCain Draws Response -- from McCain

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003687696

By E&P Staff

Published: December 20, 2007 1:10 PM ET

NEW YORK A top-of-the-page (though without siren) story on the Drudge Report today declares that Sen. John McCain is appealing to The New York Times to halt an upcoming story that, allegedly, links him to some sort of improper activities involving a lobbyist.

Calls to several staffers at the Times by E&P have not been returned yet, but, oddly, the McCain campaign has responded in a rather oddly worded statement on the purported Times probe. Drudge headlines the story: "McCain Pleads with NYT to Spike Story."

The McCain response was emailed to E&P from Arlington, Va., and it comes from McCain's Communications Director Jill Hazelbaker:

"It is unfortunate that rumor and gossip enter into political campaigns. John McCain has a 24-year record of serving this country with honor and integrity. He has never violated the public trust, never done favors for special interests or lobbyists, and he will not allow a smear campaign to distract from the important issues facing our country.

"Americans are sick and tired of this kind of gutter politics. John McCain is the most experienced and prepared to lead as commander and chief, and he will continue to run a positive campaign on the issues."

Drudge also suggests that McCain "has hired DC power lawyer Bob Bennett to mount a bold defense against charges of giving special treatment to a lobbyist!" Now the story has gone "mainstream," with full reports by The Associated Press and Howard Kurtz in The Washington Post. Here are excerpts from those two reports.

AP:

Sen. John McCain said Thursday he had "never done any favors for anybody—lobbyist or special interest group." McCain made the remark to reporters in Detroit when questioned about a report that The New York Times was investigating allegations of legislative favoritism by the Arizona Republican.

He acknowledged that his presidential campaign aides have had discussions with the newspaper regarding its inquiries. "I have not had been in talks with The New York Times. They've been communicating with our staff and with us," McCain said. "I've never done any favors for anybody—lobbyist or special interest group—that's a clear, 24-year record."

McCain and four other senators were accused two decades ago of trying to influence banking regulators on behalf of Charles Keating, a savings and loan financier later convicted of securities fraud. The Senate Ethics Committee said McCain had used "poor judgment" but also said his actions "were not improper" and warranted no penalty.

He questioned the timing of the allegations and compared them to the criticism he confronted in 2000 when he first ran for the presidency. "I do find the timing of this whole issue very interesting," McCain said. "And we're not going to stand for what happened to us in 2000. We're getting close to the primary. These allegations are coming out at a very interesting time, and I have never, ever done a favor for any lobbyist or special interest group."

Kurtz:

The Arizona Republican has hired a prominent criminal attorney, Robert Bennett, to deal with the matter. "What is being done to John McCain is an outrage," Bennett said in an interview this morning.

Bennett is preparing answers to written questions submitted by a team of New York Times reporters who have spent weeks investigating questions about the senator and the lobbyist; she has also retained a lawyer, according to a knowledgeable source who asked not to be identified because he was discussing legal matters.

McCain called Times Executive Editor Bill Keller earlier this month to deny the allegations and to complain that he was not being treated fairly by the Times reporters, who have not yet interviewed him, the source said.

Baby Lee
12-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Bravo banyeeu

banyon
12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Bravo banyeeu

LMAO

I saw Cochise allude to this earlier, and saw an opportunity.

Baby Lee
12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
LMAO

I saw Cochise allude to this earlier, and saw an opportunity.
Just don't turn all banyeyedpea on me.

Taco John
12-20-2007, 03:24 PM
What? No Banyo Yon reference?

Well I never... :harumph:

wazu
12-20-2007, 11:43 PM
I was on this wagon in 2000. I still think we'd have been much better off if he'd been the nominee. So much has changes since then.

SNR
12-21-2007, 01:06 AM
That immigration bill he tried to pass this summer is proof that he's a senile old coot...

(Yes, a lot more than Ron Paul you tards)

patteeu
12-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Bravo banyeeu

LMAO

I waited forever for banyon to post a John Edwards thread. Edwards needs a recxjake of his own or he's going nowhere.

patteeu
12-21-2007, 01:56 PM
That immigration bill he tried to pass this summer is proof that he's a senile old coot...

(Yes, a lot more than Ron Paul you tards)

Yikes. If the other Ron Paul pimps figure out that little trick, there will be nothing left for me to post. :)

recxjake
12-21-2007, 02:15 PM
If Rudy wasn't running, I'd be going for McCain most likely...

patteeu
12-21-2007, 03:54 PM

Your Midas touch seems to have killed off Gingrich and Giuliani. McCain might as well be next. I'm thinking that Romney is the best bet given your vitriol toward the man.

recxjake
12-21-2007, 03:56 PM
You seem to have killed off Gingrich and Giuliani. McCain might as well be next. I'm thinking that Romney is the best bet given your vitriol toward the man.

ROFL

mlyonsd
12-22-2007, 08:50 AM

Maybe you should do the country a favor and start rooting for Hillary.

mlyonsd
12-22-2007, 08:51 AM

Oh, and leave my guy alone. :)

bango
12-22-2007, 11:30 AM
I wonder if McCain has a shot at all. There are many who still hold the Campaign Reform Act against him. He may have a better chance in the General Election than he does in his own Party's Primaries.

Hey RJ,
The Dems do not have any National Power Rankings, or just your party with your guy on top?

banyon
01-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Amnesty is not a fair characterization of McCain's full position on immigration.

McCain's website:

Immigration is one of those challenging issues that touch on many aspects of American life.
I have always believed that our border must be secure and that the federal government has utterly failed in its responsibility to ensure that it is secure. If we have learned anything from the recent immigration debate, it is that Americans have little trust that their government will honor a pledge to do the things necessary to make the border secure.

As president, I will secure the border. I will restore the trust Americans should have in the basic competency of their government. A secure border is an essential element of our national security. Tight border security includes not just the entry and exit of people, but also the effective screening of cargo at our ports and other points of entry.

But a secure border will contribute to addressing our immigration problem most effectively if we also:

Recognize the importance of building strong allies in Mexico and Latin America who reject the siren call of authoritarians like Hugo Chavez, support freedom and democracy, and seek strong domestic economies with abundant economic opportunities for their citizens.

Recognize the importance of pro-growth policies -- keeping government spending in check, holding down taxes, and cutting unnecessary regulatory burdens -- so American businesses can hire and pay the best.

Recognize the importance of a flexible labor market to keep employers in business and our economy on top. It should provide skilled Americans and immigrants with opportunity. Our education system should ensure skills for our younger workers, and our retraining and assistance programs for displaced workers must be modernized so they can pursue those opportunities

Recognize the importance of assimilation of our immigrant population, which includes learning English, American history and civics, and respecting the values of a democratic society.

Recognize that America will always be that "shining city upon a hill," a beacon of hope and opportunity for those seeking a better life built on hard work and optimism.
Border security and our failed immigration system are more examples of an ailing Washington culture in need of reform to regain the trust of Americans. In too many areas -- from immigration and pork barrel spending to Social Security, health care, energy security and tax relief -- business-as-usual politics prevents addressing the important challenges facing our nation.

BucEyedPea
01-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I hear McCain is going to beat Rudy in NY too. I hear that NY'ers soured on him in his last years as Mayor of NY.

banyon
01-20-2008, 12:24 PM
The McCain-Kennedy Immigration Bill:

The amnesty bill proposes to (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1406088/posts) :

* Implement a guest worker program that allows immigrants to temporarily fulfill American jobs.

*Create a path to citizenship for immigrants currently in America.

* Promote family reunification visas and foreign family members to immigrate to America.

banyon
01-20-2008, 12:25 PM
From THOMAS:

Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act - Requires the Secretary of Homeland Security to develop and implement a National Strategy for Border Security and other specified border security programs.

Authorizes the Secretary to establish a Border Security Advisory Committee.

Requires the Secretary of State to provide a framework for security coordination between the governments of North America.

Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) to: (1) authorize appropriations through FY2011 for the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program; and (2) reimburse states for pre-conviction costs.

Amends the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 to authorize additional funding through FY2011 to reimburse states for indirect costs of incarcerating undocumented aliens.

Establishes: (1) an H-5A essential worker visa program for low-skilled workers; (2) a mechanism for subsequent adjustment of status; and (3) an Essential Worker Visa Program Task Force.

Addresses document security. Requires the Commissioner of Social Security to create a new Employment Eligibility Confirmation System.

Amends the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to address the collection of arrival and departure information.

Broadens the Department of Labor's investigative authority under INA.

Authorizes the Secretary of State to enter into an agreement with foreign governments whose citizens participate in the H-5A program to establish a labor migration facilitation program.

Exempts immediate relatives of U.S. citizens from the annual cap on family-sponsored immigrant visas. Increases numerical limits for specified visas.

Authorizes H-5B nonimmigrant status for undocumented aliens present in the United States on the date of this Act's introduction who meet specified requirements and pay a fine. Provides a mechanism for subsequent adjustment of status.

Defines "authorized representative" for immigration purposes. Makes alien victims of fraud perpetrated by unauthorized representatives eligible for U (victims of certain crimes) nonimmigrant status.

Authorizes the Secretary to establish the U.S. Citizenship Foundation. Requires the Secretary to establish a competitive grant program to address civic integration.

Amends the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003 to extend authorization of Federal reimbursement for hospitals that provide emergency care to undocumented immigrants.

How are those provisions not amnesty?